Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,456 members, 7,816,061 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:38 AM

Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence (2504 Views)

$22.3m Cash: CCB Gets Fresh Request On Ex-first Lady Patience / Patience Jonathan: "Frozen Account Belongs To Me" - Ex First Lady Tells Court / EFCC May Go After Ex-first Lady Over N1trn Campaign Funds’ Disbursement (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 7:04pm On Mar 10, 2015
A court in Ivory Coast on Tuesday found former first lady Simone Gbagbo guilty of charges related to her role in a 2011 post-election crisis in which around 3,000 people were killed, sentencing her to 20 years in prison, her lawyer said.

Gbagbo, who is also wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged crimes against humanity, was tried along with 82 other allies of ex-President Laurent Gbagbo.
“The jury members retained all the charges against her, including disturbing the peace, forming and organising armed gangs and undermining state security,” said Rodrigue Dadje. Her civil rights will also be suspended for a period of 10 years.

The former president’s son, Michel Gbagbo, was also convicted and sentenced to five years in prison, he said.
Ivory Coast’s brief 2011 civil war was sparked by Laurent Gbagbo’s refusal to acknowledge his defeat to Alassane Ouattara, now president, in elections in late 2010.

He is awaiting trial at the ICC accused of crimes against humanity for his alleged role in orchestrating the violence.Ivory Coast refused to transfer Simone Gbagbo to The Hague court, claiming she could be judged fairly in a domestic court.

http://www.punchng.com/news/ivory-coast-jails-ex-first-lady-20-years-over-election-violence/

Cc: Lalasticlala

Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by Mogidi: 7:13pm On Mar 10, 2015
Buhari's 2011 incitement is next, hopefully he gets 30yrs. That should tell him violence doesn't pay.

1 Like

Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 7:25pm On Mar 10, 2015
Mogidi:
Buhari's 2011 incitement is next, hopefully he gets 30yrs. That should tell him violence doesn't pay.

Keep deceiving yourself. You know who this is simply referring to. The earlier she is kept in check, the better. If she does not see this as a warning to her, she might end up in the same manner if not worse. Nigerians are tired of all these rubbish and anyone who dares stir up violence will be dealt with accordingly.

4 Likes

Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by Mogidi: 7:27pm On Mar 10, 2015
lolaxavier:

Keep deceiving yourself. You know who this is simply referring to. The earlier she is kept in check, the better. If she does not see this as a warning to her, she might end up in the same manner if not worse. Nigerians are tired of all these rubbish and anyone who dares stir up violence will be dealt with accordingly.

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2193837_2011postelectionviolence_png41989ea1b2012249cc45c504ad8d6b31
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 7:37pm On Mar 10, 2015
Mogidi:

www.nairaland.com/attachments/2193837_2011postelectionviolence_png41989ea1b2012249cc45c504ad8d6b31

And what was the outcome? 4 years in the running, was he charged?

We are talking about something currently on-going. PEJ has brought shame to the office of the first lady. You better be truthful in your reasoning. What Simone Gbagbo did started just like this? She didn't go out with guns killing people but she was inciting violence, arming people with vices and provocation to kill. Now she has got 20 years behind bars. Trust me, what PEJ is doing at the moment is no different. If she messes up this country, she will be dealt with accordingly. We will drag her to Hague for proper prosecution. And worst case scenario, her name will go down in history of Nigeria as the 1st first lady to be disgraced out of office and jailed.
If you are close to her or you know someone close to her, it is better you warn her early...

The photo speaks for itself. You can see what became of a first lady of a whole nation. It is a pitiful situation and I really feel sorry for her but this is what you get when you failed to listen to the advise of the wise. This is what you get when you incite violence all because your husband is in power. He is there today and may not be there tomorrow. Change, change, change!

3 Likes

Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by Mogidi: 7:41pm On Mar 10, 2015
lolaxavier:

[size=15pt] And what was the outcome? 4 years in the running, was he charged?

We are talking about something currently on-going.
[/size] PEJ has brought shame to the office of the first lady. You better be truthful in your reasoning. What Simone Gbagbo did started just like this? She didn't go out with guns killing people but she was inciting violence, arming people with vices and provocation to kill. Now she has got 20 years behind bars. Trust me, what PEJ is doing at the moment is no different. If she messes up this country, she will be dealt with accordingly. We will drag her to Hague for proper prosecution. And worrst case scenario, her name will go down in history of Nigeria as the 1st first lady to be disgraced out of office and jailed.
If you are close to her or you know someone close to her, it is better you warn her early...

The Punch story I referenced was written 3 months ago, there's time for violent Buhari to be brought to book.
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 7:45pm On Mar 10, 2015
Mogidi:

The Punch story I referenced was written 3 months ago, there's time for violent Buhari to be brought to book.

It is a matter of time, let us see whose neck will be in the noose.
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by Samunique(m): 7:54pm On Mar 10, 2015
Good, hope the old Dictator and his like will learn from this!!!!

"Baboons and Dogs being soaked in the blood."
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by Nobody: 7:59pm On Mar 10, 2015
Patience Facker Jonathan is next to be hit with a jail term for inciting violence.

Lalasticlala

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by buchichukwu69: 8:00pm On Mar 10, 2015
Samunique:
Good, hope the old Dictator and his like will learn from this!!!!

"Baboons and Dogs being soaked in the blood."

The good thing is that the judges in ICC don't reason like PDP. They know that a proverb in a man's language cannot be directly translated to English because he's a formidable opposition
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by buchichukwu69: 8:02pm On Mar 10, 2015
[size=22pt]cc: Madam Piss[/size]
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 8:13pm On Mar 10, 2015
buchichukwu69:

The good thing is that the judges in ICC don't reason like PDP. They know that a proverb in a man's language cannot be directly translated to English because he's a formidable opposition

Nailed it...
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by bokohalal(m): 8:16pm On Mar 10, 2015
Mogidi:

Is this madness? FIRST LADY! ! Is Buhari a first lady? Do you not know who should be ready to face the same fate in Nigeria from 29th May ,2015?

2 Likes

Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by olamonsor2: 8:24pm On Mar 10, 2015
Mama piss will join u soon
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 8:25pm On Mar 10, 2015
bokohalal:

Is this madness? FIRST LADY! ! Is Buhari a first lady? Do you not know who should be ready to face the same fate in Nigeria from 29th May ,2015?

Let him continue to deceive himself all in the name of insincere opinion. It is clear to see who the story identifies with.
My own key point is that PEJ should desist from all her shameful act. It is so uncalled for. She should not suffer the same fate as Simone. I am sure this was how people were warning Simone before her fall from the throne and she did not listen...See what has become of her.
To be forewarned is to be forearmed. Someone should help me translate this in Okrika.

2 Likes

Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 8:28pm On Mar 10, 2015
buchichukwu69:
[size=22pt]cc: Madam Piss[/size]

cheesy

1 Like

Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 8:29pm On Mar 10, 2015
olamonsor2:
Mama piss will join u soon

Let her kontinu, it is only a matter of time. Her cup is almost full.

2 Likes

Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by kestolove95(m): 8:31pm On Mar 10, 2015
berem:
Patience Facker Jonathan is next to be hit with a jail term for inciting violence.

Lalasticlala
40yrs await mama piss
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 8:49pm On Mar 10, 2015
kestolove95:
40yrs await mama piss

A word is enough for the wise. PEJ be kiafulllll....
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by joseph1832(m): 9:00pm On Mar 10, 2015
Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

A lesson GEJ and PEJ along with their cohorts should learn.
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by Nobody: 9:16pm On Mar 10, 2015
patience faka ebele goodluck azikwe jonathan, you are NEXT....
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by starlite101(f): 9:27pm On Mar 10, 2015
I am so looking forward to seeing dictator Ouattara and his wife locked up. #freegbagbo
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 10:05pm On Mar 10, 2015
starlite101:
I am so looking forward to seeing dictator Ouattara and his wife locked up. #freegbagbo

What is this one saying?
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by LeStylo: 10:25pm On Mar 10, 2015
lolaxavier:
A court in Ivory Coast on Tuesday found former first lady Simone Gbagbo guilty of charges related to her role in a 2011 post-election crisis in which around 3,000 people were killed, sentencing her to 20 years in prison, her lawyer said.

Gbagbo, who is also wanted by the International Criminal Court for alleged crimes against humanity, was tried along with 82 other allies of ex-President Laurent Gbagbo.
“The jury members retained all the charges against her, including disturbing the peace, forming and organising armed gangs and undermining state security,” said Rodrigue Dadje. Her civil rights will also be suspended for a period of 10 years.

The former president’s son, Michel Gbagbo, was also convicted and sentenced to five years in prison, he said.
Ivory Coast’s brief 2011 civil war was sparked by Laurent Gbagbo’s refusal to acknowledge his defeat to Alassane Ouattara, now president, in elections in late 2010.

He is awaiting trial at the ICC accused of crimes against humanity for his alleged role in orchestrating the violence.Ivory Coast refused to transfer Simone Gbagbo to The Hague court, claiming she could be judged fairly in a domestic court.

http://www.punchng.com/news/ivory-coast-jails-ex-first-lady-20-years-over-election-violence/

Cc: Lalasticlala

Simeon Gbagbo, like Patience Jonathan, like yesterday descended deep, down low to label Ouattara a "diable" (Devil in French). Time is a fair judge to all. Today was yesterday's tomorrow!
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 11:17pm On Mar 10, 2015
LeStylo:

Simeon Gbagbo, like Patience Jonathan, like yesterday descended deep, down low to label Ouattara a "diable" (Devil in French). Time is a fair judge to all. Today was yesterday's tomorrow!

The earlier pej comes to her senses, the better.
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by Nobody: 11:22pm On Mar 10, 2015
Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely.-Lord Acton

There is more to life than been called excellency and first lady even after the people don't want you
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by starlite101(f): 2:16am On Mar 11, 2015
lolaxavier:

What is this one saying?

I am quite certain the words I typed were in plain English, if comprehension is still an issue I can do a quick refresher.....
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 9:26am On Mar 11, 2015
starlite101:

I am quite certain the words I typed were in plain English, if comprehension is still an issue I can do a quick refresher.....

Maybe you should because you seem clearly out of context. The genesis of the crisis in Ivory Coast was know to many, unless you are one of Gbagbo's relatives that fled the country. When you clearly lose an election and you fail to acknowledge your opposition as the winner, that is what you get.
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by starlite101(f): 10:49am On Mar 11, 2015
lolaxavier:

Maybe you should because you seem clearly out of context. The genesis of the crisis in Ivory Coast was know to many, unless you are one of Gbagbo's relatives that fled the country. When you clearly lose an election and you fail to acknowledge your opposition as the winner, that is what you get.

Out of context....absolutely not. Did you vote? A foreigner and his very foreign wife find their way into office via the help of the French and US govts, but I'm the one that is out of context. Whatever helps you sleep at night......
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by lolaxavier(m): 11:11am On Mar 11, 2015
starlite101:

Out of context....absolutely not. Did you vote? A foreigner and his very foreign wife find their way into office via the help of the French and US govts, but I'm the one that is out of context. Whatever helps you sleep at night......

What's your point? That the allegations levelled against the Gbagbos are unfounded?
Re: Ivory Coast Ex-first Lady, Simone Gbagbo Jailed 20 Years For Election Violence by starlite101(f): 11:25am On Mar 11, 2015
lolaxavier:

What's your point? That the allegations levelled against the Gbagbos are unfounded?

Did you answer MY question? It is very impolite to answer a question with a question.

Yes, I do believe they are being used as scapegoats. Here is what I see it as - US elections are in full swing. All of a sudden a Mexican man and his Canadian wife are now President and First Lady of the US. Just food for thought.......

(1) (2) (Reply)

Legislation In Nigeria / Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? / What Fayose's Knows,but Wike's Pdp Don't Know

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.