Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,696 members, 7,809,626 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:08 PM

Police Officers Come In And Educate Us - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Police Officers Come In And Educate Us (1204 Views)

11 Things VIO (vehicle Inspection Officers) Will Check To Determine If Your Car / Misuse Of Power By Some Vehicle Insurance Officers. / Road Safety Officers Or Road Nuisance Officers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by nurey(m): 8:07pm On Mar 10, 2015
Please can any officer come in and educate us on how uniform men should approach motorists and how we motorists inturn should deal with officers that are breaking rights.

I was stopped by policemen one day and I had my niece in the car, the 1st thing the officer said was I should open the car door even though the glass isn't tinted, he started bombarding my niece of 2yrs with questions when she didn't answer he now decided to face me with questions I answered, he asked for my papers I showed when he couldn't pin anything on me he asked me to go.

Just this evening, I witnessed police brutality even though it didn't concern me I just had to wage in because I was infuriated by this officers. A merc C300 probably 2006model was parked on the bridge out of arms way or traffic obstruction with hazard light flashing, this officers were in a yellow vanagon they just stopped, opened the door of the car like 5 of them surrounded the car, well I was parked a few inches away making a call, the young boy came out he did be in mid or late twenties and was kinda hostile as this officers were waving their gun and searching everywhere like they knew sometin was in the car, as I was about to pull out and be on my way, my conscience wouldn't let me cause the way they were rough handling the guy no plum at all, picking my niece and forgetting to lock the car, I just waged in, looking into the car, I knew the reason they stopped to search because he had carton of goods in the car.

The boy abused them well and kept on saying what is his crime for them man handling him, I just had to beg the officers and the boy to calm down because I know how this officers operate, well after series of slaps and man handling because of the boys foul mouth and more people had gathered at the scene they just left.

Officers please help answer this questions
1. Do I have a right to ask only one officer to search me or my car inorder for them not to plant anything incriminating?

2. When stopped by officers I don't stop on the road, I trafficate and park to one side it always aggravate them. Is it right for officers to stop you on the road thereby obstructing traffic?

3. Do officers have a right to ask me receipt for household appliances found in my car (printer, Ac, fridge etc)?

Sorry for my long epistle.
Re: Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by GAZZUZZ(m): 10:38pm On Mar 10, 2015
Corporal shoots MOPOL commander to death in Bauchi

FEBRUARY 27, 2015 BY ARMSTRONG BAKAM, BAUCHI
A Police Corporal on Thursday shot and killed the Commanding Officer, Mobile Police Force, Bauchi, SP Chris Eza.

The Police Public Relations Officer, Haruna Mohammed, said this in a statement made available to the PUNCH in Bauchi on Friday.

He said, “On the 26/2/2015 (Thursday) at about 11.20pm, the Commanding officer, Mopol 10 PMF, Bauchi, SP Chris L Eza, was shot by a Police Corporal while on routine visit at the Stop and Search point, along Ahmadu Bello way, Bauchi.

“Victim was rushed to ATBU Teaching Hospital, Bauchi, where he was certified dead by a medical doctor and corpse deposited at the mortuary for postmortem examination.”

Mohammed said the scene of the crime was immediately visited by the Commissioner of Police, Mohammed Mohammed, and his management team.

He said the suspect had been arrested while the police commissioner had ordered a full scale investigation into the incident.

The PPRO confirmed on the telephone on Friday that the suspect had been arrested.

“I told you that the matter is under investigation and it is after we have concluded that we would know the details of exactly what happened,” he said.

Nurey if u see a man wielding a gun in nigeria forget abt your rights, keep calm until he is without a gun then you can make noise.

2 Likes

Re: Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by lonelydora: 11:38pm On Mar 10, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Nurey if u see a man wielding a gun in nigeria forget abt your rights, keep calm until he is without a gun then you can make noise.

Seconded. I only allow one police man to search my car.
Re: Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by chucky234(m): 12:00pm On Mar 11, 2015
Those trigger happy men in black don't give a fvck about your human right, I only argue with the ones carrying sticks.
Re: Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by DECOtech(m): 9:58pm On Mar 11, 2015
chucky234:
Those trigger happy men in black don't give a fvck about your human right, I only argue with the ones carrying sticks.

That's a wise one

We all only get to live once.
Re: Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by chucky234(m): 11:50pm On Mar 11, 2015
DECOtech:

That's a wise one

We all only get to live once.
They can shoot anyone who argues with them and frame such person up as a robber or kidnapper.
Re: Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by DECOtech(m): 12:01am On Mar 12, 2015
chucky234:
They can shoot anyone who argues with them and frame such person up as a robber or kidnapper.

Very true
Re: Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by kakameks: 6:20am On Mar 12, 2015
It is a sad situation be avoid those guys whenever you can. Let me tell u my own experience.

I was on my way to Port Harcourt from Benin and there is this by-pass that cuts off Warri. It was a Friday afternoon and i knew there would be traffic at the army checkpoint on entering Warri so the by-pass was a good option.

On the way i met some policemen along a particular narrow and lonely part of the route, they flagged me down and started their routine. I presented my papers when asked, and the young officer took it and started walking around the car peering inside.

I had made a stop at my drycleaners so my cloths were hanging in the back of my car along with my travel hold-all, i was wearing a native attire also with my phones in full view. So the officer after a long delay of looking through the papers asked me to show him my car's number. I told the man that i don't know were it is and that he will have to find it himself, he told me to open my booth which i did and at this point i came down from the car ( i make it a point when am stopped to remain seat unless you want to check my booth) to ensure he does not drop an "exhibit" to implicate me cos i could see the guy was fishing for trouble.

On opening the booth he saw food stuff i bought for the family and he then told me that my vehicle number is not correct. I asked him to explain and he started some long drivel about o and 0 or was it i and 1. I asked him if all the other number were correct and he said yes, so i said that error is from whoever typed the papers and it just a typo error.

The guy then said that since he has showed me the error and where to find my vehicle number that i should buy fuel 3k for them. I told him i dont have money for such and beside there is nothing wrong wit my papers, he then pocketed my papers and said when am ready i should meet him and walked away. I did not follow or argue with him, i looked for there boss(usually seated inside their parked patrol car) i approached him greeted him and explained wat transpired and how his boy seized my car papers over a silly reason. The officer looked at me and see how i was neatly dressed asked were am from i told him and he started telling me how he served there so forth.

To cut the story, he went with me to id the person wit my papers and told the guy to give it back to me. The junior officer bluntly told the other
" Oga make him bring money, see as him dress and see him motor. Make i search him bag i go see money there, na only 3k i say make him bring. He get money inside him motor, if na lie make i search am."
I was shocked on hearing this and began praying that i leave that place soonest and alive cos other officers have gathered around us and i was alone with them with just the occasional car passing by. Thankfully the senior officer prevailed and took the papers and handed it back to me.

I had planned to give the senior officer 1k as apprication if he had gotten the papers, but after the way the junior one spoke of search my car i changed my mind took my papers and quickly zoomed off. I swore never to pass there again if am alone.

If they had found say 500k wit me the next story will be.
" the police intercepted a gang of robbers had a shoot out with them killing one while the other two escaped with gun shot wounds. A pistol was found in the car but no money recovered."

So guy when you see those men in black dont be a hero, only do so when you have a people as witnesses and to protect you.
Re: Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by bravolad(m): 10:02am On Mar 12, 2015
It's a sign of irresponsible government. Any day we have a responsible government in place, all this rubbish will stop. Nobody is accountable to anybody, Officer treat people as they like. Who would ask questions. Even if you report them, they come up with counter reasons why those incidents took place. The annoying part is that most of these officers intimidating motorist are semi-literates and brandishing their guns unnecessarily. If you talk to their superiors, you will be shocked they are birds of a feather.

I have had countless annoying encounters with them. Best approach is to be civil while interacting with them. From their behaviour, apparently, they are criminals in Police or Army uniform looking for the lamest excuse to extort you. Avoid them the best you could.
Re: Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:23pm On Mar 12, 2015
bravolad:
It's a sign of irresponsible government. Any day we have a responsible government in place, all this rubbish will stop. Nobody is accountable to anybody, Officer treat people as they like. Who would ask questions. Even if you report them, they come up with counter reasons why those incidents took place. The annoying part is that most of these officers intimidating motorist are semi-literates and brandishing their guns unnecessarily. If you talk to their superiors, you will be shocked they are birds of a feather.

I have had countless annoying encounters with them. Best approach is to be civil while interacting with them. From their behaviour, apparently, they are criminals in Police or Army uniform looking for the lamest excuse to extort you. Avoid them the best you could.

If you live in the northern part of nigeria(core north) you will love the nigerian police, they greet you very well and wish you a safe journey (when on stop and search) they do not ask for money to buy paper to write a report when you go to the station, they are polite, they do not demand for money, instead they ask ask nicely if there's thing to (sha ruwa) drink water. Funny thing is when you meet a few bad eggs, they probably served some where in the south b4 or are from the south.

There is less corruption in the police up north.
Re: Police Officers Come In And Educate Us by bravolad(m): 7:07am On Mar 13, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

If you live in the northern part of nigeria(core north) you will love the nigerian police, they greet you very well and wish you a safe journey (when on stop and search) they do not ask for money to buy paper to write a report when you go to the station, they are polite, they do not demand for money, instead they ask ask nicely if there's thing to (sha ruwa) drink water. Funny thing is when you meet a few bad eggs, they probably served some where in the south b4 or are from the south.
There is less corruption in the police up north.

You are correct that they adopt a different strategy up north. It's the same Nigerian Police in the Northern part that still operate in the south. Why is it that almost all the police men deployed to the south are corrupt & show this tendency to extort motorists. Irrespective of their tribe, once they are posted to the south, it provides a veritable ground for fraud & abusers of authority. Do they have different operational ethics in different parts of the country.

The way it is in the south, a police man can kill you because you refused to give him bribe, after all, nothing will happen because they are shielded from prosecution by their superiors. And truly to this word, they go scotfree. It's a shame. Personally, I don't give a ride to a police officer, if I give someone a ride and find out you are a police officer, I can discontinue the journey just to ensure he alights from my vehicle. But I would be glad to help other members of the paramilitary or the military.

(1) (Reply)

Hello Gurus Tell About Me About 03 Volkswagen Passat /04 Toyota Camry / Help My MB C200 Does Not Do Slow Run / Digiprog 3 V4.94 Clone With Better Quality PCB

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.