Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,842 members, 7,820,934 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 03:57 AM

Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? - Properties (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? (50570 Views)

Acres Of Land At Karishi Fct, Abuja. 100k Per Plot Buy In Acres And Sell In Bit. / List Of Building Materials In Nigeria And The Price Qoutes / 2 Building Story For Sell In Mokola @ibadan Oyo State,near Premier Hotel (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 7:09pm On Jan 30, 2009
Pennywise:

@ajileko, I want to believe you but you have to let everyone know what specific enquiries you made and the feedback you got that made you arrive at this conclusion. Did you find that Larez is not an architect or he has been disowned by the clients mentioned or those designs are not his?

Larez on the other hand has taken great pains beyond what is required even unmasking himself in an anonymous forum to prove his point. The way I see it, you (and your motive) are the one making me nervous. The buck is now on you to substantiate these allegations so people dont say here is another NL prankster. And that cheapens the forum with the potential to discourage other brothers with special acquired skills to share from coming on.

I am optimistic we will hear from you in the next 48hrs.

Pennywise:

Thank you Sista. It will be interesting for this guy to reveal himself. I do not doubt that it is the same Negro_Mts with his bad belle. Some can hide behind their anon status due to their mischievious ways. I have my picture in my profile here and I doubt if you can find a single person that knows me who will question my integrity. I have worked and paid my dues without compromising my integrity or getting involved in any kind of fraud all my life.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 7:32pm On Jan 30, 2009
beknown:

larez

I like your designs. I know you can do more when the opportunity presents itself in whatever locality. Your words and your design speak for themselves.

Please aim to be modest and reasonable in your pricing so that you do not alienate decent clients. BIG money bags in Nigeria can be very foolish and cunning in their approach.

Be professional at all times. Treat people with equal zeal and respect. Aim to meet the needs of your client at a reasonable profit.

I appreciate your advice and encouragement. As stated in a previous post, I treat all my clients the same with respect regardless of if they are Superstars or Joe Blo next door. So far, my experience in Nigeria makes me question if I will be able to do business with the average Nigerian with wealth. The culture seems to promote self-aggrandizement and the demeaning of others. You have to understand that after College in Philadelphia and moving to Atlanta in 1984, I have had minimal exposure to Nigerians. The last time I visited home until recently was in 1983, and have had a serious culture shock since returning.

After over 20 years of dealing with various clients, it is natural that one develops a 6th sense for characters. I therefore can feel potential troublesome clientele and know to avoid them, but in Nigeria it seems honestly and integrity is a rare trait which causes me to be very discouraged. One has to learn to sense honesty and assume everyone dishonest. An example is this stranger who comes here making various false allegations. In my paradigm, this person will have to be a lunatic. But in Nigeria, it seems to be acceptable for people to openly show what Obasanjo terms as "Bad Belle". How does a person operate in a society devoid of conscience or morals? I am sincerely thinking to pack-up and head back to what I know. However, I have found much beauty in the Land itself, and hope to be able to add to it's development.

In summary, yes I am open to clients and collaborations if we share common values such as honesty and integrity. I will be honoured to work with people such as I describe. Thanks
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by JJYOU: 7:43pm On Jan 30, 2009
larez:

I appreciate your advice and encouragement. As stated in a previous post, I treat all my clients the same with respect regardless of if they are Superstars or Joe Blo next door. So far, my experience in Nigeria makes me question if I will be able to do business with the average Nigerian with wealth. [color=#990000]The culture seems to promote self-aggrandizement and the demeaning of others. You have to understand that after College in Philadelphia and moving to Atlanta in 1984, I have had minimal exposure to Nigerians. The last time I visited home until recently was in 1983, and have had a serious culture shock since returning recently.

After over 20 years of dealing with various clients, it is natural that one develops a 6th sense for various characters. I therefore can sense potential troublesome clientele and know to avoid them, but in Nigeria it seems honestly and integrity is a rare trait which causes me to be very discouraged. An example is this stranger who comes here making various false allegations. In my paradigm, this person will have to be a lunatic. But in Nigeria, it seems to be acceptable for people to openly show what Obasanjo terms as "Bad Belle". How does a person operate in [size=18pt]a society devoid of conscience or morals?[/size] I am sincerely thinking to pack-up and head back to what I know. However, I have found much beauty in the Land itself, and hope to be able to add to it's development.

In summary, yes I am open to clients and collaborations if we share common values such as honesty and integrity. I will be honoured to work with people such as I describe. Thanks [/color]

welcome to nigeria
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 10:19pm On Jan 30, 2009
Here is a renovation project that I thought I'd share:

Client: Popular Gospel group Manager, Wife = Gospel Singer

Issues: Client has tour Bus that has to be garaged and cannot be parked in driveway, plus 3 more garages for cars. Needs am in-house music studio, and 3 Master Suites complete with jacuzzi tubs. Also add enclosed pool and tennis court. Major problem with adversely sloping lot.

Solution: Diagonal garage for Bus. Cut grade to allow for height of bus and add retaining walls accordingly, but line up second floors with existing for access between old and new. Various upgrades within existing and use existing garage as additional recreational room.  Terraced retaining walls on right side to cut into hill. Move cut fill to back to allow level area for Tennis court. Do a split level between studio and enclosed pool, and wrap terrace around pool leading to Tennis court.

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 10:26pm On Jan 30, 2009
3D Rendering Visuals of solutions, add your comments.

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 10:27pm On Jan 30, 2009
And more

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by Pennywise(m): 11:40am On Jan 31, 2009
If you were putting up this structure in Nigeria what material will you use in order to prevent percolation between the steep complex undulating roof. These complex roofs often fail at places where two sides meet- esp wall and aluminium sheets (now most commonly used)and the unlucky client has to resort to the use of coal tar to prevent seepage long after the architect and builders have cashed their cheque. Remember no gentleman rain and wind for Nigeria.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 2:37pm On Jan 31, 2009
Pennywise:

If you were putting up this structure in Nigeria what material will you use in order to prevent percolation between the steep complex undulating roof. These complex roofs often fail at places where two sides meet- esp wall and aluminium sheets (now most commonly used)and the unlucky client has to resort to the use of coal tar to prevent seepage long after the architect and builders have cashed their cheque. Remember no gentleman rain and wind for Nigeria.

Na wah oh,  Sista, you want me to give you all this information for free? Anyway, let me tell you how we do it in America first, and then we can think of the best way to approach Naija.

First we put up our roof trusses, which can either be manufactured or rafters built up at the site. Next we deck the complete roof with plywood or OSB boards. Then we wrap the whole roof with 30# or 40# felt. Felt is an Asphalt paper that is water proof. The roof tiles or shingles are then laid on this. We have 25, 30 and 40 year roofs depending on the budget for the project. The ratings 25, 30, and 40 years are a form of warranty on the expected lifetime of the shingles. Roof rafters are typically run anywhere between 16" to 24" on center.

In Nigeria, what I have noticed a lot of people doing is to nail aluminum directly on rafters without any decking or felt. and then they use tar over the nails. I personally do not see how they get away with this. What I will suggest to reduce cost if there were roofing sheets strong enough to hold people working on it is to run purlings perpendicular  to the rafters which will provide support from falling sideways. Then the roofs will have the support necessary. If the budget allows then we should use the same system as I described earlier since we have the raw material available (Granite and tar). Note that we also run gutters on the edge of the cornice. Circulation of air through the roof (Ventilation) must not be forgotten which prevents the wood from rotting. This is usually done with ridge vents, continuous eve vents and the turtle backs.

For my personal home, I will do it correctly!!!!  cheesy  cheesy  cheesy. Okay now Sista, you owe me naw.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by Pennywise(m): 11:30am On Feb 01, 2009
Sorry Larez if you were misled. Pennywise is a bad ass male. Now that you know, I hope it wont take something from these feedbacks.

Boy, you mean deck the entire roof structure with felt before roof tiles? Sounds awfully wasteful but understandably American.

To wrap this up, if cost was not an issue, what would you recommend for your Nigerian client- Aluminium or roof tiles.I ask this question for the benefit of NL members/guests who have to make a decision now or in the near future.And also for those shy and budding architects who are content with taking from this thread offering nothing.Pennywise is not looking to build a new home.Got a massive one recently that will probably take me a few years to figure out what the architect was thinking. grin
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 12:40pm On Feb 01, 2009
Pennywise:

Sorry Larez if you were misled. Pennywise is a bad ass male. Now that you know, I hope it wont take something from these feedbacks.

Boy, you mean deck the entire roof structure with felt before roof tiles? Sounds awfully wasteful but understandably American.

To wrap this up, if cost was not an issue, what would you recommend for your Nigerian client- Aluminium or roof tiles.I ask this question for the benefit of NL members/guests who have to make a decision now or in the near future.And also for those shy and budding architects who are content with taking from this thread offering nothing.Pennywise is not looking to build a new home.Got a massive one recently that will probably take me a few years to figure out what the architect was thinking. grin

Geeze Bro, If I wasn't so dark, you would have seen me blushing after reading your message. Me dey think sey na some fine inquisitive Chick dey question me like Police. lol  I apologize ohh, wetin I dey think. To address your questions:

Let me make a comment first, your assumption of wastage is definitely a cultural issue. I see wastage more as spending funds over and over again on the same thing when a solution was available in the first place that may have cost you just a little more.

In regards to making a choice between Aluminum and roof tiles, I am not sure if I am qualified to answer that question at this moment. I am new to the market and still researching costs. I will have to evaluate and compare between both choices to decide if the roof shingles and decking are worth the local costs involved. One will also have to evaluate the value of the beauty aspect of using shingles as well. I am assuming that the roofing tiles that you mention are the asphaltic shingles that are common in the U.S. However, the answer also applies if you are referring to Spanish tiles.

Now, my question to you: Do you own or have access to Land in Lekki that you will be interested in looking at a development J/V in?
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by Pennywise(m): 1:02pm On Feb 01, 2009
larez:

Geeze Bro, If I wasn't so dark, you would have seen me blushing after reading your message. Me dey think sey na some fine inquisitive Chick dey question me like Police. lol  I apologize ohh, wetin I dey think.
I can and do relate very well to this bro grin

larez:

Now, my question to you: Do you own or have access to Land in Lekki that you will be interested in looking at a development J/V in?

Unfortunately I dont have any Lekki property. Besides, at this stage I think I am content with just appreciating, admiring and making child-like comparisms rather than developing.Come to think of it country hard. If I have any Lekki property right now I will be selling grin grin
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by Biimz: 2:43am On Feb 02, 2009
@Larez, I salute O!.

I am interested in your Sapphire design. Could you send me more information on Material, cost and possible supervision?

Thanks.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 3:45am On Feb 02, 2009
Biimz:

@Larez, I salute O!.

I am interested in your Sapphire design. Could you send me more information on Material, cost and possible supervision?

Thanks.

I salute you back Biimz, and thanks for writing.

Sapphire

Drawn U.S. specs on crawl space.
31'-6" Wide with fireplace X 58'-0" Depth, 29'-0' wide w/out Fireplace
3 Bedrooms, 2 full Baths.
Master Suite w/walk-in closet
Jacuzzi Tub in Master bath
Front and Side covered Porches
Living/Family Room
Dining Room
Breakfast nook
Kitchen w/Laundry Closet
1440 Square-feet
Can be modified for Naija construction.

Check email. Cheers.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 5:15am On Feb 02, 2009
More 3D Transparencies of Sapphire

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by jazzsoul: 3:46am On Mar 30, 2009
Quote from: HR.hotness on January 16, 2009, 06:36 PM
you'll need to modify them for nigerian climate, materials most especially. . . it sickens me when pple import designs that were specificaly designed for other regions, materials and all, with no regard for wether they work, are actually livable or not.

Funny thing that you would say that. I have noticed that most Nigerian homes are not fully built to suit Nigerian climate. There are many rules that are broken or not adhered to but generally accepted. An example is damp proofing of the homes. Many houses here in Nigeria seem to be built to cultivate fungi. In the United States, there are many climate zones as well as earth-quake zones. Building codes for each zone are tailored to the particular zone. In California, you have to consider seismic activities, while Tropical Florida shares the same climatic properties as Tropical Nigeria. Florida is however advancing in building technology and progress is being reflected in the quality of their products. But in Nigeria generally, we still seem to embrace the system that the colonials introduced without looking at methods for improvement.

Projects that I will get involved in will definitely explore new and emerging Technologies that allow more flexibility in design and creativity. This does not mean that I do not realize the issues of costing related to affordable homes, but even with them as well, there are better and more efficient ways.

Larez, you are right on the money. Nigerian builders are caught up in a cookie cutter mentality where every house is essentially a square box with 3/4 bdrm flats. When look at houses is Florida, I often wonder why we cannot build such mediterranean style houses since we have the same tropical weather almost year round.
Why are there rarely indoor garages in most multi million Naira houses in Lagos? I want my house to have at least a three car attached garage. Why buy $100,000 car without a garage at home for it?
I have also noticed that most nigerian homes are very poorly ventilated. I guess this is a result of poor HVAC practices. Most of the mediteranean home designs in Florida or California can be built in Nigeria with blocks and the requiste adaptions.
Nigerian builders need more than a paradigm shift in building designs, they need a seismic shift from the square box. For those who advocate prison like fences, do you think that any fence can stop a group of armed thugs with AK47 and Uzzi sub machine guns?
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by lastpage: 1:42am On Apr 20, 2009
I have been enjoying this topic for some time! grin
From the beauty of those renderings, to the timely suggestions of some and then comes the "u be thief, l no be thief , (respects to Abami Eda)!" digression, cant believe what am reading!!

Larez, maybe the proper thing to do would have been to P.M you privately but you've been so open about yourself and what you do that l have no qualms, asking openly: Are you the same Larez on the now defunct www.nigeria.com? Where you contributing Articles there? Do you know my dude "Afari" , and l usually complete it for him by adding Afari (korodo grin )?
Why l am asking is that, "that Larez" was/is my online buddy back in 2005/2006/early 200, before "something" happened to that website, just before the 2007 elections lipsrsealed , and we lost contact.
That same Larez is an Architect.
Forgive me if you've never been on that site or around that period (do you have any affiliation with Calabar?, like someone dear 2u), , may just be a coincidence sha.

By the way, dont get distracted.
Like others have mentioned, "adaptation" is the keyword you need to further yourself in the Nigerian environment.
I can not believe you are thinking of parking-up and leaving just because "they dont think like you do"!
Social Studies (in pry six) tells us that the "environment" we live has a very profound effect on our personality.
People who live with electricity 24/7, and brightness, day and night (no pun intended and no disrespect to fellow brodas here) cant have the same disposition towards life with people who through no fault of theirs, sleep in darkness (Never Expect Power At-all) under the drone and smoke of Generator engines. Having been blessed with "exposure", you need to contribute in the "transfer knowledge" to your brodas back home, abi? If not for any reason, for the sake of the blood that runs in your veins (Animashaun - he who has, and is not miserly with it grin )

If you will adapt the technology, the finesse, the technique and the diligence with which you built those houses, to our unique environment while maintaining the same level of aesthetics, then the sky is your limit.
Keep doing what you know best.
Cheers.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by hanoipp: 10:42am On Aug 26, 2009
Dear sir : Mr, ,Mrs ,Madam

My company from Hanoi Viet Nam we want to export some goods. There are currently a number of products exported:
1. clothes men sex, clothing T-Shirt. polo shirt etc ,
2. short clothes, sports clothes.
3. clothes by the order form that foreign companies set.
4. some type slices brick layer, Tiles and wall.( ceramic)

If you want to import goods from VietNam we can help you.
Please contact us directly, all requests only information email: hanoipp@yahoo.com, our products will satisfy the requirements for you
http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/hanoipp/
http://s567.photobucket.com/albums/ss115/hanoipp/CLOTHES/
look forward to receiving your answer you.
Vu-Van-Thang +
Import-Export Mananger

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by ahmedoo(m): 9:44am On Aug 29, 2009
any those designs are cool but dont think they will suit nigerian envirinment.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 3:54pm On Sep 10, 2009
ahmedoo:

any those designs are cool but dont think they will suit nigerian envirinment. chech this out

Abegi my Brother. Go siddon somewhere. But I like your courage to post your rendering on this thread. Keep working on it and you'll get there someday. Goodluck
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by ajileko: 5:02pm On Sep 10, 2009
@Larez, I can't help but ask myself "why do we need houses with chimneys and fireplace in nigeria hot climate" Please modify these designs to fit
nigeria style and taste. These designs works well in Europe and North America but definitely not in our country.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 8:23pm On Sep 10, 2009
Ajileko, here you come again. You know those are houses that I designed and were built in the Atlanta area. Take out the chimneys and what do you have, Dang Bro. I am already designing some cribs specifically for Naija, Okay? ou wan build some of them?
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by ihebrooke(m): 11:16am On Sep 11, 2009
i think they will sell in nigeria

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 12:48pm On Sep 11, 2009
These marketers sha!!
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by Inthin: 9:28pm On Feb 09, 2010
can we all continue these thread

Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 5:56pm On Feb 10, 2010
Hi Inthin:

If this is your work, I'd like to say GREAT JOB!!!
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by RotimiA: 7:50pm On Feb 10, 2010
Mr Larez, your designs are very good and I am in no doubt that you have a keen eye for detail. With regards to architectural designs one always has to exercise caution in the Nigerian real estate market. Some of your designs remind me of properties located at Nicon Town Lekki. Here you will find the typical sub-urban American style houses. In my own personal opinion which might be wrong I would suggest that your designs are more suited to private developments i.e. built to order (customized to one's taste). I don't know much about the Abuja market but here in Lagos it will be a challenge to successfully market such houses on a mass scale such as in an estate for various factors number one being pricing. Lagosians require homes that are affordable and correctly priced. If you could make modifications to your design and reduce the the size of the structure by eliminating un-necessary space, you could create a design that is more easily adaptable to the market.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 3:02pm On Feb 13, 2010
Rotimi A:

Mr Larez, your designs are very good and I am in no doubt that you have a keen eye for detail. With regards to architectural designs one always has to exercise caution in the Nigerian real estate market. Some of your designs remind me of properties located at Nicon Town Lekki. Here you will find the typical sub-urban American style houses. In my own personal opinion which might be wrong I would suggest that your designs are more suited to private developments i.e. built to order (customized to one's taste). I don't know much about the Abuja market but here in Lagos it will be a challenge to successfully market such houses on a mass scale such as in an estate for various factors number one being pricing. Lagosians require homes that are affordable and correctly priced. If you could make modifications to your design and reduce the the size of the structure by eliminating un-necessary space, you could create a design that is more easily adaptable to the market.

Rotimi, you are indeed correct in your analysis. Homes that I have focused on are not for the mass markets. These are exclusive homes which in my contract stipulates the right to build only at my approved locations. The reason for this was to allow the original owner whom I worked with on the design to retain their exclusivity within their area. I should also mention that the real estate value of my typical homes after construction ranged from $650K to over $2M. This was my comfortable market. But I have also designed many homes that were mass constructed in the Atlanta / Dekalb, and surrounding areas within the city limits. The price range of these started around 240K.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by AdornHomes(f): 10:41pm On Feb 13, 2010
Wow! Beautiful structures.

Remember, nigeria is a hot country and u need to have balconies.
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by gj: 4:41pm On Mar 22, 2010
the houses will need to be re-modified before they will sell in the mentioned areas. For example, the chemineys will have to go. we do not need them in Naija climates - the fire places as well. like some posters said, beautiful fence might not be enough but strong high-walled fencing with electric/barbed wire.

However, you can try other areas like Calabar, Enugu, some parts of Delta and even some villages round eastern part of Nigeria. theses areas have similar climates, topograghs with most areas in U.S., and people even have personal desires for luxry. the people will pertronize anything beatiful and exorbitant, as long as it bring up their status.

Goodluck! you are just a great designer. Just a little modification and you are there. cheesy
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by sandee575(f): 11:19pm On Jun 05, 2010
if the poster is a nigerian he should not be enquiring about this as if he is not. These "travelled people " can be sickening. Haba!
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by larez(m): 11:55pm On Jun 05, 2010
lol@Sandee, cheesy Na today?
Re: Will These Home Designs Sell In Nigeria, And Where? by oladcity(m): 1:01pm On Jan 09, 2011
this charade is an insult to intelect

?":}{:+_P+P+:}{tongue}{OO)+_P_}P_+O)_(O)_OP_)P_+(*()*&()O{}:
:+_})*&(&^%^##%^&**)_)_+(*(%^*IOI)}(O)&YU){

lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

The World's Best Architecture And Interior Designs Of 2021 ( Pics) / South African Man Turns His House To Swimming Pool After Heavy Flood / Eko Atlantic Newest Updates In Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 98
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.