Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,970 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:13 AM

Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job (16494 Views)

What Will You Do When You Missed A Call From An Interviewer? / "Meet Me At Mega Hilton Hotel": An Interviewer Told Me. I Have Suffered / This Is The Best Way To Answer When An Interviewer Says ‘tell Me About Yourself’ (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Slyr0x: 11:25am On Mar 12, 2015
Well, it depends on what works for you.

Before going for an interview, I always do my background check so as to get a fair range of how much those in similar position get paid.

That way, even if i get asked for my previous salary, I will mark the figure up. .and when I get asked to provide my last payslip, I will reply saying "I signed a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA) with my former coy and as such, I won't be able to provide the slip".

This has always worked for me smiley

4 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Onyiido: 11:25am On Mar 12, 2015
uboma:
There's nothing wrong in saying exactly how much your former employer paid you. They may want to verify your claim by asking for your last 3 pay-slips.

However, that doesn't mean that you have to accept the same amount in your new place. The interviewers will always ask *how much do you want them to pay you?* A very dicey question I agree. The secret here lies in your previous research about the new company and their salary structure for your grade and position. Armed with such vital information, you can safely go ahead and give them a range. E.g if they usually pay 100k for the grade and position, you can give a range of 100k to 150k. But whatever you say, they already have in mind what they will pay you which will be clearly stated on your offer letter, which you have the right to either accept or reject the offer.

All the best to you all

A nice topic by the way @ op
I'd better tell them that I was paid enough to keep me on my job.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by experimentist: 11:26am On Mar 12, 2015
Thank God I'm an employer..
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by CaptPlanet(m): 11:29am On Mar 12, 2015
Usually what I advise people is this; before you go for an interview, make sure you have done your research on the company: history, aim and objectives, their achievements etc.

That way you can make/create a mental picture of what they are looking for in the position you applied for. Next is for you to be that person, live it, breathe it...be that character if you have to before going for the interview.

The most important part is your composure on the interview day. You have got to be very very CONFIDENT. Market yourself to them, make them believe that you're the one they've been missing. No firm esp banks will want to hire a wimp or someone whose not outspoken. I'm not saying you should be arrogant or cocky. Also ask questions: eg; If the interviewer asks you if you have any question, you're answer should be yes.
Q: Is there anything about my application/CV that you don't understand?
Puts them on the back foot or it turns the interview into a discussion (activates a friendly atmosphere)

Then salary: Give them high figures not exorbitant ones o. Like if they pay #100k for instance, tell them #90-#120. For a rookie, they'll assume this kid knows his/her worth.

You have to know how to pull this off in order not to come off as arrogant or cocky. Just be smooth but firm.

Relax and Smile
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Nobody: 11:36am On Mar 12, 2015
uboma:
There's nothing wrong in saying exactly how much your former employer paid you. They may want to verify your claim by asking for your last 3 pay-slips.

However, that doesn't mean that you have to accept the same amount in your new place. The interviewers will always ask *how much do you want them to pay you?* A very dicey question I agree. The secret here lies in your previous research about the new company and their salary structure for your grade and position. Armed with such vital information, you can safely go ahead and give them a range. E.g if they usually pay 100k for the grade and position, you can give a range of 100k to 150k. But whatever you say, they already have in mind what they will pay you which will be clearly stated on your offer letter, which you have the right to either accept or reject the offer.

All the best to you all

Boss, i always gbadu you o. Well done Sir.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Yewandequeen(f): 11:38am On Mar 12, 2015
This is very funny though.for me I will say if it's small add to it.
lemme share my experience.
I went for an interview for a bank role in which I was asked for my current salary I said 65k.
I was made to see another interviewer who also asked the same question , I still said 65k. Then I discovered the countenance of my interviewer change and told me wow this is the first time she will hear someone fro AB company earns this much for she has met with other people from same company. Then I sat right, sharpaly as a smart lady, though I knew I lied but backed it up that my company salary structure differs and it depend on the level the person is that the determines the salary I further went ahead and told her that incentives are also inclusive. He then asked for the real amount aside from incentives, pension and Co, then I told her 50k.
In my mind I was like what da hell so some people have actually come here to spoil salary structure of my company.
I turned down there offer sha cos the role is for marketing and I told them I want customer care post.

Summary of it all,if they really want a figure and you sense that it might affect your new salary please add some more figures to it. But if the role has a fixed salary then give them the right figure of what you earn.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by scarr: 11:39am On Mar 12, 2015
Depends on d circumstances ,sometimes a lil lie can make or break u
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by TheProfe: 11:57am On Mar 12, 2015
emmyrichie:
Before any interview, I advise you do background check on their salary/wage structure, with that, you will know what range to start bargaining from.

It's quite true that a research into the company's remuneration structure will be beneficial to an interviewee.
However, we must note that some organisations generate a lot of revenue but getting to know their salary range may be quite difficult.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by DeRay98(m): 12:01pm On Mar 12, 2015
The truth here is that employers use such information to peg your pay even if the job on offer is worth more than you were paid before. Your moral rightness is used against you and if find out later you cant do anything about it. this is where you need knowledge and boldness. It has been used against me before, once i innocently told the interviewer my previous pay, she added a fraction of that to my previous pay. my suggestion is, bebold to tell them that there is certainly a salary package for the position and they should implement what is due for the job.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by MadCow1: 12:14pm On Mar 12, 2015
uboma:

All the best to you all

So why ask a question like that in the first place.

I would be quite hesitant to tell a new employer the truth because the pay from my previous job may make them not hire me.

So I wonder why ask that question if my salary is already pre determined and most a times non negotiable.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Fellonigerians: 12:21pm On Mar 12, 2015
LaurelP:
The subject of money is a very sensitive one when it comes to interviews. Yet many employers will do anytin to make sure they get a deal dat favors dem alone.

Ive noticed dat most interviewers usually want to know how much the candidate was earning in his foqmer job. As harmless as dis question might seem, a lot is involved in it. They may put it into consideration in determining ur pay, and God save u if it was a poor pay package. It will definitely affect d person negatively.

Now d issue is do u tell dem, or do u refuse or do u lie to dem?(i dnt recomend d last option tho).
What do u do? To avoid goin thru hrtbreak of poor nd inequitable reward after getuing d job. Cos i ve seen many people in dis dilemma as a result of poor negotiation skills during interview.

Whatever you do, just be honest... The interviewer might even know the answer, but is just trying to see whether you will tell the truth... Just also tell them how much you expect to earn... If the like you and want you, the will pay you more money than you former employer...
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by uboma(m): 12:42pm On Mar 12, 2015
prelinctus:
Any company that asks you this question is not worth it. Any reasonable company should have a standard pay structure. This should only come up if you're offering consultancy services.

Wrong comment. Discussing salary is very necessary during any job interviews.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by adewestern: 12:55pm On Mar 12, 2015
A good company always have a pay structure for each role

1 Like

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by uboma(m): 1:07pm On Mar 12, 2015
Onyiido:
I'd better tell them that I was paid enough to keep me on my job.

That may sound rude...
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by uboma(m): 1:10pm On Mar 12, 2015
RedBenson:

Boss, i always gbadu you o. Well done Sir.

I remain loyal Sir.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by osujiifeoma78(f): 1:13pm On Mar 12, 2015
I think is beta to say d actual salary u re being paid at ur previous coy cos d employer might ve known d answer already before d invitation.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by uboma(m): 1:21pm On Mar 12, 2015
MadCow1:

So why ask a question like that in the first place.

I would be quite hesitant to tell a new employer the truth because the pay from my previous job may make them not hire me.

So I wonder why ask that question if my salary is already pre determined and most a times non negotiable.

I really can't tell the reason(s) for asking such question but always be sincere in your answers. Either way they will get to find out and if it was discovered that you lied during the interview, your chances of being dismissed is high.

And again your current/previous take home pay does not determine how much the new employer will pay you. A pay structure is already in place for your role especially for more organized companies, not a man owned company.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by Nobody: 1:30pm On Mar 12, 2015
FrenchyL:

That's it my brother. #KnowYourWorth and dont settle for crumbs because you desperately need a job.
my friend u are talking from your high horse. The lady in question cld do shakara with salary issue bcus she ws sought after by other companies either through her connections or she had d privilege of reading further. Try givin this advice to a graduate who hv stayed years at home wit responsibilities that needs to be met.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by ravenmortal: 2:34pm On Mar 12, 2015
Everyone who advises honesty with this question is giving potentially career limiting advice. Most employers will in fact default to a marginal increase over your current or last salary, or no increase at all. It is a negotiation tool used worldwide. Yes, there is a salary scale for most jobs, but it is not the employers job to look out for your best interests. Their objective is to get the best talent at the lowest possible cost!

This is what I say when I find myself on the other side of that conversation:

"Due to confidentiality agreements with my former employer, I am not at liberty to discuss proprietary information. However, my compensation package was generous, commensurate with my skillset, as I am sure yours will be."

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by muelzik(m): 3:35pm On Mar 12, 2015
It will be very wrong, no matter what, to tell lie about your current or past salaries to the interviewers. And at the same time, do not refuse to answer the question when asked. Rather, in my opinion, refer them to your level of qualification and experience and don't forget to tell them that you would prefer they make use of the laid down salary structure of the organisation and pay accordingly.

You need some level of maturity in answering this question because it can as well encourage them to place you on a level that might promote you beyond your expectation.

1 Like

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by FrenchyL(m): 4:03pm On Mar 12, 2015
yungbeef:
my friend u are talking from your high horse. The lady in question cld do shakara with salary issue bcus she ws sought after by other companies either through her connections or she had d privilege of reading further. Try givin this advice to a graduate who hv stayed years at home wit responsibilities that needs to be met.

Ok whatever! That does not mean that you should not set your standards and these standards are fully dependent on your self worth and perception! #NeverSellYourSelfCheap
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by otesy: 4:36pm On Mar 12, 2015
Your approach to this question will depend on your skill level and level of experience.

Fresher: appropriate answer will be "I am sure you have a current salary structure that takes into consideration current salary in relevant industries".

Experienced: you could say:
"I would rather discuss remuneration after you have made an offer" Or if you work in a skilled field like consulting, tell them your current bill out rate as you are billed out to your current company's customer. Eg. If you are billed out at $1000 daily (it doesn't mean you earn this amount) but it tells them your worth. Simply say "my current charge out rate where I work is $1000 daily. While I do not expect that you pay this, my expectations would be around x% of this at the minimum". This way you have told what you are worth plus your expectations and you have avoided given exactly what you earn. Alternatively tell them your gross annual pay, but ensure you negotiate your take home value cause gross pay can be deceptive.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by prelinctus: 4:45pm On Mar 12, 2015
uboma:

Wrong comment. Discussing salary is very necessary during any job interviews.
I never said it wasn't necessary during interviews. I only implied that organised companies already have a set pay structure; a fact that you corroborated in your response to madcow1's post. I'm still trying to understand why my post was hidden. I never advised anyone(rightly or wrongly). I humbly gave my opinion which was understood by a couple of people, considering the 'likes' on it. Normally, I wouldn't have bothered but I believe I have a right to have access to any post I make here on NL for future reference. So please, kindly do the needful.
Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by lockedOut: 7:18pm On Mar 12, 2015
I think most times it depends on the type of company you are interviewing with, Some companies have a scale for every position while some don't have. At least in IT i know of a company where two people do the same job and the difference in their salary is more than double each other. I usually take the market woman approach, I always inflate my salary, if they cannot pay me then someone else will. If you are good at what you do you must be able to price yourself the way you want to earn.

I have come to realize most people do not really know their worth and they tend to be contented easily. I have seen guys with superior knowledge earn way less than their true market worth because they just either contented/too timid to move on.

For me I try as much as possible to increase what I earn so that it puts me in a good bargaining point, yes I make my research about the companies I am interviewing with but then what if the company does not operate a flat structure? At that point it becomes what you bargained with when you are being employed and really hardly do companies without such salary structures always want to double or triple your salary if you don't go the market woman way.

Anyways everyone with what works for them!

2 Likes

Re: Telling An Interviewer How Much You Were Being Paid In Your Last Job by LaurelP(m): 8:08pm On Mar 12, 2015
Incisive and informative coments here

(1) (2) (Reply)

Nafdac Recruitment / Npower: What To Do If Your Status Shows Paid But No Alert Received / Fact Base Consulting Ltd Calin 4loan Officer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 54
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.