Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,754 members, 7,809,890 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 04:40 PM

Origin Of The Word "OGA" - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Origin Of The Word "OGA" (19724 Views)

Origin Of The Word " Oyibo".. / The Origin Of Tribal Marks Practice In Nigeria,styles And Reasons. (photos) / Etymology Of The Word Oyinbo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Origin Of The Word "OGA" by engrkaz(m): 1:29pm On Mar 14, 2015
I sincerely can not prove which Nigerian language the word Oga actually originated from, as it readily blends with all Nigerian language.

My submission is somewhat comical, but for some reasons (perhaps to know the original roots from Nairalander's contributions), I will share them here...

Heard during the slave trade era, the slave masters had locals whose jobs were to organize the slaves, and the slave masters called them ORGANIZERS....this became too difficult for our people to pronounce, so they called them "ORGA" as this was much easier for them to handle. These "ORGAs" were men of authority and could act in the absence of the slave masters... Maybe that is why they say "OGA NA MASTER"

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by ricsman(m): 1:32pm On Mar 14, 2015
k
Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by Wuuworld(m): 1:39pm On Mar 14, 2015
I can not categorically read this post now,itz only done by my oga at the top.
Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by ChristyG(f): 3:31pm On Mar 14, 2015
engrkaz:
I sincerely can not prove which Nigerian language the word Oga actually originated from, as it readily blends with all Nigerian language.

My submission is somewhat comical, but for some reasons (perhaps to know the original roots from Nairalander's contributions), I will share them here...

Heard during the slave trade era, the slave masters had locals whose jobs were to organize the slaves, and the slave masters called them ORGANIZERS....this became too difficult for our people to pronounce, so they called them "ORGA" as this was much easier for them to handle. These "ORGAs" were men of authority and could act in the absence of the slave masters... Maybe that is why they say "OGA NA MASTER"
it is Yoruba,which means boss.can u people stop trying to steal Yoruba words,first oyinbo now oga.mtcheww

7 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by engrkaz(m): 3:41pm On Mar 14, 2015
ChristyG:
it is Yoruba,which means boss.can u people stop trying to steal Yoruba words,first oyinbo now oga.mtcheww
and what makes u think am not yoruba? u r a lady and ds tribalistic? I pity ur future husband

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by Emmyk(m): 8:20pm On Mar 14, 2015
I'm not here to read the story you cooked up...but here to tell you Oga is a Yoruba word. Shikena.

4 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by Nobody: 9:16pm On Mar 14, 2015
ChristyG:

woow, every words happen to be a yoruba word.

I heard that Nigeria is also a yoruba words, from the word Oringeriafemi (original Nigeria loves me) invented by Baba Awolowo.

Igbo mma mma nu,
hapunu onye efulefu a ka o na-akogheri.

They always like to boast their ego by claiming what they don't have.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by kuuljay(m): 9:42pm On Mar 14, 2015
Emmyk:
I'm not here to read the story you cooked up...but here to tell you Oga is a Yoruba word. Shikena.
tell us how Bross we want to learn
Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by bigfrancis21: 4:46pm On Mar 15, 2015
engrkaz:

Sounds plausible enough. smiley
Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by bigfrancis21: 4:48pm On Mar 15, 2015
ChristyG:

I tell you what, it is Igbo, which means 'boss'. Therefore you cannot lay claim to that word.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by StarFlux: 10:14pm On Mar 15, 2015
adeitoro:

woow, every words happen to be a yoruba word.

I heard that Nigeria is also a yoruba words, from the word Oringeriafemi (original Nigeria loves me) invented by Baba Awolowo.

Igbo mma mma nu,
hapunu onye efulefu a ka o na-akogheri.

They always like to boast their ego by claiming what they don't have.

Una no dey tire :/ ọ̀gá is a Yoruba word. Disputing that is beyond ridiculous. Has nothing to do with ego.

The oyinbo threads are somewhat legitimate, but this really isn't. Nice troll bait though.

Ahon ni ipinle enu. It isn't funny at this point.

5 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by OkuDiOver1(f): 2:39pm On Mar 16, 2015
engrkaz:
and what makes u think am not yoruba? u r a lady and ds tribalistic? I pity ur future husband

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by Phut(f): 12:08am On Mar 23, 2015
Oga is of Igbo origin.

It is a shortened form of the word: Ogaranya/Ogalanya.

Ogaranya means rich man/ boss.

Check any Igbo dictionary.

Morachi even made reference to it in his song titled, I bu onye

2 Likes

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by Phut(f): 12:10am On Mar 23, 2015
StarFlux:
Una no dey tire :/ ọ̀gá is a Yoruba word. Disputing that is beyond ridiculous. Has nothing to do with ego.

The oyinbo threads are somewhat legitimate, but this really isn't. Nice troll bait though.

Ahon ni ipinle enu. It isn't funny at this point.

You are verrry wrong.

Tell me what is the etymology of this word that you are trying to claim?

Very soon you will claim that "Una" which u used in your post is of Yoruba origin
Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by Phut(f): 12:16am On Mar 23, 2015
engrkaz:

That is not the origin.

Oga is Igbo.

It is the shortened form of Ogaranya/ Ogalanya which means rich man/ boss in Igbo.
Check any Igbo dictionary. Morachi even referenced it in his song: I bu onye.

1 Like

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 5:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
ChristyG:
always bitter,the Igbo guy realy break your heart.a sory
Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by christtar(m): 10:18am On Nov 26, 2021
engrkaz:

Heard during the slave trade era, the slave masters had locals whose jobs were to organize the slaves, and the slave masters called them
ORGANIZERS....this became too difficult for our people to pronounce, so they called them "ORGA" as this was much easier for them to handle. These "ORGAs" were men of authority and could act in the absence of the slave masters... Maybe that is why they say "OGA NA MASTER"

This is absolutely incorrect, Oga is a pure Yoruba word borrowed by other tribes in Nigeria. The some origin of Oga is the boss or a senior to an apprentice learning a trade, simple.
But it is now being bastardisedly permit me to use that word) used in government offices in Nigerian to patronise your seniors or boss to gain an unmerited favour

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by babasolution: 4:20pm On Nov 27, 2021
bigfrancis21:

Sounds plausible enough. smiley

Africans weren't slaves,blackamericans were slaves
Re: Origin Of The Word "OGA" by Olu317(m): 6:32pm On Nov 27, 2021
christtar:

This is absolutely incorrect, Oga is a pure Yoruba word borrowed by other tribes in Nigeria. The some origin of Oga is the boss or a senior to an apprentice learning a trade, simple.
But it is now being bastardisedly permit me to use that word) used in government offices in Nigerian to patronise your seniors or boss to gain an unmerited favour

(1) (Reply)

Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? / Sanusi & Kukah Meet Archbishop Of Canterbury In Italy(pics) / East African Hairstyles

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.