Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,181 members, 7,815,137 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? (19745 Views)

The Igbo And Culture Of Apprenticeship / What Is The Difference Between Igbo And Edo(esan) Men?? / Nairaland Official Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba Dictionary (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Ournaija: 1:57pm On Jul 11, 2011
Hello Nlders,

Been arguing this with my colleagues and yet we are yet to come to an ,

Folks which do you think?
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by otapiapia: 4:09pm On Jul 12, 2011
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Ournaija: 4:28pm On Jul 12, 2011
I have an understanding of the three major languages.

I think it`s easier to understand Igbo coz of the following reasons:

1. The language has been adulterated
2. Hardly will any Igbo man speak without adding English before, in-between and after.
3. Listen carefully while an Igbo man speak (plus 1 and 2, u will definitely get three).
That is just the secret. People pay more attention on phonetics.

Hausa on the other
1. The language is pure and has not lost it flavor.
2. Rarely will you find Hausa speakers mixing it with English
3. You will have to listen well before you get the language correctly.

It easier for a Yoruba man to learn Hausa than for an Igbo man coz you will still find some Hausa words in Yoruba. So also it will be easier for an Ibibio or Ijaw person to learn Igbo.

3 Likes

Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 12, 2011
Yoruba is easier to learn.

1 Like

Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Ournaija: 4:50pm On Jul 12, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yoruba is easier to learn.

Why do u think Yoruba is easier to learn?
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by AndreUweh(m): 6:57pm On Jul 12, 2011
@The Poster, Igbo language is so rich that there are two concepts involved in your question. The are to learn Igbo and secondly, to understand Igbo language. Learning Igbo language may not be that though like other Nigerian languages but it is in understanding it is the in thing. For example, an Igbo may say ''M ga ezi gi eluigwe''. Only an Igbo person or someone who is well grounded in the language will understand what that means. That is the nature of Igbo language. A non Igbo who is learning Igbo will interprete it as 'I will show you the sky''. But if you are an Igbo, it is not what that means.

1 Like

Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 7:31pm On Jul 12, 2011
Ournaija:

Why do u think Yoruba is easier to learn?
That's what I've heard from Non-Yoruba people. More than 60% of Nigerians who are not Yorubas or does not have a Yoruba background have Yoruba as their 2nd/3rd lingual.

Standard Yoruba that is.

Yoruba is very rich with many dialects --> A simple Yoruba state like Ekiti state has more than 5 Ekiti dialects.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Obiagu1(m): 10:56pm On Jul 12, 2011
Nawa oo. See question and answer.

Question: Between Igbo and Hausa, which one is easier to learn?

Answer: Yoruba is easier to learn.

NL I hail thee oo!
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by nwaigbomg(m): 11:05pm On Jul 12, 2011
Ournaija:

I have an understanding of the three major languages.

I think it`s easier to understand Igbo coz of the following reasons:

[b]1. The language has been adulterated
2. Hardly will any Igbo man speak without adding English before, in-between and after.
3. Listen carefully while an Igbo man speak (plus 1 and 2, u will definitely get three).
That is just the secret. People pay more attention on phonetics.

Hausa on the other
1. The language is pure and has not lost it flavor.
2. Rarely will you find Hausa speakers mixing it with English
3. You will have to listen well before you get the language correctly.

It easier for a Yoruba man to learn Hausa than for an Igbo man coz you will still find some Hausa words in Yoruba. So also it will be easier for an Ibibio or Ijaw person to learn Igbo.

at bolded, please note that about 50% if not more than of hausa words are borrowed-Arabic,
and no language is an island thus no language can survive on its own, u must borrow from other languages to make up
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by pleep(m): 2:18am On Jul 13, 2011
They actually teach Hausa sometimes in the U.S. Its pretty much verified that Hausa is the easiest Nigerian language to learn from English.

I belive Igbo is a tonal language, thus relatively hard to learn. The frequent use of English words and pidgin help tho.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 2:21am On Jul 13, 2011
pleep:

They actually teach Hausa sometimes in the U.S. Its pretty much verified that Hausa is the easiest Nigerian language to learn from English.

I belive Igbo is a tonal language, thus relatively hard to learn. The frequent use of English words and pidgin help tho.

Yoruba is taught in more than 3 Ive League schools in the US, and in more of non- IL schools.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by pleep(m): 2:40am On Jul 13, 2011
lol, but this topic is about igbo and hausa.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by EzeUche(m): 4:48am On Jul 13, 2011
Ileke-IdI:

Yoruba is taught in more than 3 Ive League schools in the US, and in more of non- IL schools.

Learn to stay on topic. angry

It is about Igbo or Hausa. Not Yoruba. . .
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jul 13, 2011
So let's be honest, between Hausa and Yoruba, both are on the same level of difficulty; very easy to learn wink
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:07pm On Jul 13, 2011
Igbo is not easy. I would presume Hausa to be much easier.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Afam4eva(m): 8:25pm On Jul 13, 2011
I have to agree with the poster who said that rarely will you hear an Igbo person speak Igbo without adding a word of english.

@Topic
I don't know much about the Hausa language so i can't judge whether it's easier or more difficult to learn compared to the Igbos language. Though people keep saying that Igbo is the hardest to learn among the big three(Igbo, Hausa and Yoruba). I think this can be attributed to the fact that outsiders apart from Ibibios, Ijaws, Efiks rarely live in Igbo land.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by iice(f): 5:25pm On Jul 14, 2011
Obiagu1:

NL I hail thee oo!

Lmao!

Anyway i think Hausa is easier
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by oludashmi(f): 5:35pm On Jul 14, 2011
Hausa is very easy to learn. . . igbo is difficult
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by otapiapia: 6:00pm On Jul 14, 2011
oludashmi:

Hausa is very easy to learn. . . igbo is difficult

In fact, learning Igbo will give you mouth cancer. Monkey.

afam4eva:

I have to agree with the poster who said that rarely will you hear an Igbo person speak Igbo without adding a word of english.

Not true. Seems you've never met a speaker with a good command of the language or a speaker bred in an Igbo-speaking community.
Obiagu1:

NL I hail thee oo!

NL is full of lunatics. Are you just knowing that.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by lepasharon(f): 7:39pm On Jul 14, 2011
hausa is wayyy easier Ibo has 36 alphabets! shocked
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by AndreUweh(m): 8:18pm On Jul 14, 2011
lepasharon:

hausa is wayyy easier IGBO has 36 alphabets! shocked
IGBO.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by odumchi: 9:26pm On Jul 14, 2011
@ Original Poster That is where you are wrong.

1. Igbo has two forms. The first form is central Igbo while the second form is a much more complex and unique form of Igbo, the dialect.
The Average Igboman can say whatever he wants in both forms of Igbo. I am not sure if this is the case for Hausa. An example of this is:

Central Igbo: Anyi na yo Chukwu ayiyo
My Own Dialect Dialect Igbo: An' na ro Chukwu aririo

Despite the different words, they both share the same meaning "We beg God". Igbo like Andreh Uweh said is far beyond the literal. Some expressions such as "suffering" have dual meanings which can only be understood by someone who is proficient in Igbo. For example:

"ita avuvu" Literal meaning: Eating a bitter or repulsive thing. Metaphorical: Suffering.

So thats Igbo for you. Igbo is a rich word that has a word for everything and a way to express every possible idea. If you go to the cities you will meet people who dilute Igbo with English, but go to the villages and you will meet people who speak pure and unadultered Igbo. I am not saying that there arenot perfect Igbo speakers in the cities but if you want to know the true version of Igbo, you must find the genesis. So in short, yes Igbo is still as pure as any language despite what people may say.

1 Like

Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by AndreUweh(m): 10:04pm On Jul 14, 2011
odumchi:

@ Original Poster That is where you are wrong.

1. Igbo has two forms. The first form is central Igbo while the second form is a much more complex and unique form of Igbo, the dialect.
The Average Igboman can say whatever he wants in both forms of Igbo. I am not sure if this is the case for Hausa. An example of this is:

Central Igbo: Anyi na yo Chukwu ayiyo
My Own Dialect Dialect Igbo: An' na ro Chukwu aririo

Despite the different words, they both share the same meaning "We beg God". Igbo like Andreh Uweh said is far beyond the literal. Some expressions such as "suffering" have dual meanings which can only be understood by someone who is proficient in Igbo. For example:

"ita avuvu" Literal meaning: Eating a bitter or repulsive thing. Metaphorical: Suffering.

So thats Igbo for you. Igbo is a rich word that has a word for everything and a way to express every possible idea. If you go to the cities you will meet people who dilute Igbo with English, but go to the villages and you will meet people who speak pure and unadultered Igbo. I am not saying that there arenot perfect Igbo speakers in the cities but if you want to know the true version of Igbo, you must find the genesis. So in short, yes Igbo is still as pure as any language despite what people may say.
May your days be long, nwannem.

1 Like

Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by otapiapia: 10:29pm On Jul 14, 2011
I even have some of my nephews and nieces who cant speak English without adding Igbo to it(as in they express their thoughts more better in Igbo and use it to explain something they said in English), contrary to what one poster said here. above.

It's annoying how some ignorant posters come here to say things they have no idea of.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by aljharem3: 11:35pm On Jul 14, 2011
otapiapia:

I even have some of my nephews and nieces who cant speak English without adding Igbo to it(as in they express their thoughts more better in Igbo and use it to explain something they said in English), contrary to what one poster said here. above.

It's annoying how some ignorant posters come here to say things they have no idea of.

your nephews and nieces must be special breeds of igbos

all my live in anambra, rivers, and all other places, I have NEVER since anybody speak igbo without bits of english to it

that is a fact

so i think ur nephew and nieces are likely from the core village or something

i suggest they become teachers or be placed in museum so as not to lose this people
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by otapiapia: 12:04am On Jul 15, 2011
alj_harem:

your nephews and nieces must be special breeds of igbos

all my live in anambra, rivers, and all other places, I have NEVER since anybody speak igbo without bits of english to it

that is a fact

so i think your nephew and nieces are likely from the core village or something

i suggest they become teachers or be placed in museum so as not to lose this people

Fake kanuri man. When I'm around them all the Igbo I've forgotten start coming back into my brain.

They speak more Igbo than English. End of.

1 Like

Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by aljharem3: 12:07am On Jul 15, 2011
otapiapia:

Fake kanuri man. When I'm around them all the Igbo I've forgotten start coming back into my brain.

They speak more Igbo than English. End of.

lol

u see as i stated before i have never seen any igbo person in my life and trust me i have been to the SE quite a couple of times to know this

thus they are special

by the way i am urhobo and not kanuri
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by dempeople(m): 2:06am On Jul 15, 2011
@Alj Harem,

You're now Urhobo. Abeg tell me wetin u go be tomorrow? When u go be Nupe or Shuwa Arab?

@OP,

Igbo is hard according to people that I know who've wanted to learn it.

There're so many dialects and they can be very confusing except for a proficient speaker.
Check these out;

Let me drink water
kam nwo mmiri.
Maa laa mmili.

How are you?
Kedu ka i me?
Kedu ka i mere?
Ole ka i me?
Ole ka i mere?
Ole nke megaa gi?

When are you coming?
Ndi mgbe i gaje abia? (Ajalli, Anambra)
kedu mgbe i ga-abia?
Mgbeole ka i ga-abia?
Ole mgbe ka i ga-abia?

As you can see, it can be pretty complex but when u learn a dialect especially central igbo then, its most likely that u can understand all other dialects.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by aljharem3: 4:30am On Jul 15, 2011
dem_people:

@Alj Harem,

You're now Urhobo. Abeg tell me wetin u go be tomorrow? When u go be Nupe or Shuwa Arab?

wink wink wink wink wink them people my padi for NL
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by Nobody: 4:32am On Jul 15, 2011
Anybody that understands Hausa usually finds it easier to learn Yoruba. Yoruba then Hausa is easier.
Re: Between Igbo And Hausa Which Is Easier To Learn? by ChinenyeN(m): 7:47am On Jul 15, 2011
People seem to have it in their head that Igbo is somehow incomplete. Well the truth is no language is 'complete', but to be honest, Igbo isn't as 'lacking' as some may think. Honestly, I've experimented with speaking just Igbo while avoiding English, and save for the latest technological advances and I could go about my average day expressing most of my thoughts in Igbo. I really don't believe removing/minimizing/avoiding English is as difficult as some make it out to seem.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Origin Of The Word "OGA" / Elebuibon Chides Emir Sulu-Gambari For Stopping Isese Festival In Ilorin / Pictures Of Oro Carnival

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.