Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,690 members, 7,816,819 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:52 PM

Chidinma Or Chidimma? - Culture (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Chidinma Or Chidimma? (50676 Views)

CUCUMBER UPDATE: Chidinma Okeke Declared Missing By Family / Latest New Video Flavor Ololufe Ft Chidimma (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Malawian(m): 7:39pm On Oct 29, 2017
It is chidimma not chidinma.
In Igbo, N and M are not found in a word.
Mma is a word.
But can only be seen in a 'phrasal-word' like oMe-Na-ala.
N and M behave like vowel but they are not vowel in Igbo language (ie myiri-udaume).
i dont think so.. What of Mmanya (drink)
meanwhile, i think it has to do with dialect, both are correct in my opinion.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Kobicove(m): 7:40pm On Oct 29, 2017
"Chidinma" is the more widely accepted spelling...it's mostly only people from Rivers state that use "Chidimma" undecided
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Engrr(m): 7:40pm On Oct 29, 2017
Albion05:
You all should go and read your A,B, CH, D, E, F, G, GB, GW, GH.......... etc . After reading it then come back and make your stand known. In Igbo land " Nma" represent Beauty. It also represents "Cutlass" while MMA can be "Mother". "MMADU" also represent human being. The point here is the Sound effect and you get to appreciate the words better after seeing the full sentence which the words are been used for. No doubt, I have seen of recent some persons using " Chidimma" as regards to Chidinma as purportedly argued here. I have no problem with that. Your name is the identity you choose to be reckon or recognize with. Nke onye Chiri nya- zere. What will you say about Franklin and Franklyn? . What will you also say about " Akwa" it has so many meaning like, Egg, Cloth, Bed, Cry, what differentiate all this is what we called in Igbo... Uda-elu, Uda-ala, Uda-nsuda na- akala- uhie. Why is it that the capital of Anambra state which is "Awka" is written that way. Is because of the sound effect.

Pls don't come and confuse people here.

2 Likes

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by stevejomo(m): 7:41pm On Oct 29, 2017
n and m cannot stay together in a correct Igbo word. hence Chidimma is the correct spelling
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by DedeNkem: 7:41pm On Oct 29, 2017
DjAndroid:

You are wrong. There is nothing like "NM" in Igbo language. But "MM".

They are both right!!!

I was talking about Igbo in general not official Igbo!

Official Igbo doesn't recognize other dialects. But they exist.

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by stevejomo(m): 7:42pm On Oct 29, 2017
Kobicove:
"Chidinma" is the more widely accepted spelling...it's mostly only people from Rivers state that use "Chidimma" undecided
what nonsense you are telling?

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Engrr(m): 7:43pm On Oct 29, 2017
Malawian:

i dont think so.. What of Mmanya (drink)
meanwhile, i think it has to do with dialect, both are correct in my opinion.

Both cannot be correct. There is only one accepted central igbo (Igbo-Izugbe) which is MMA. Every other spelling and pronounciation is Olu-mba (people's dialect)

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by WetinConsignMe: 7:50pm On Oct 29, 2017
ogbright:

Ikowala ya nke oma. bia Nara ise.

"Ikowala ya nke oma" my ass. When where and who made these rules. And when did I agree to them?
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 29, 2017
wow!. This was a 2015 thread. Guess the Mods have run out of ideas.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nobody: 7:52pm On Oct 29, 2017

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Bomgirl(f): 7:53pm On Oct 29, 2017
Una really get time!!
angry sad angry
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by wtfcoded: 7:53pm On Oct 29, 2017
Eke40seven:

From my understanding, 'Chidinma' means "God is good"

while 'Chidimma' means "God is good TO ME"

some even bear 'ChiMdinma' meaning, "MY God is good"
or 'ChiMdimma' meaning MY God is good TO ME"

There is no wrong or right spelling, its only wrong when you use a variation for an individual with another variation of the name. I know most bearers are always fast to correct the caller on which particular one they bear despite that fact that the differences are slight.
nwanne okwu gi kwu otu ka amu izaga.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by WetinConsignMe: 7:54pm On Oct 29, 2017
Albion05:
You all should go and read your A,B, CH, D, E, F, G, GB, GW, GH.......... etc . After reading it then come back and make your stand known. In Igbo land " Nma" represent Beauty. It also represents "Cutlass" while MMA can be "Mother". "MMADU" also represent human being. The point here is the Sound effect and you get to appreciate the words better after seeing the full sentence which the words are been used for. No doubt, I have seen of recent some persons using " Chidimma" as regards to Chidinma as purportedly argued here. I have no problem with that. Your name is the identity you choose to be reckon or recognize with. Nke onye Chiri nya- zere. What will you say about Franklin and Franklyn? . What will you also say about " Akwa" it has so many meaning like, Egg, Cloth, Bed, Cry, what differentiate all this is what we called in Igbo... Uda-elu, Uda-ala, Uda-nsuda na- akala- uhie. Why is it that the capital of Anambra state which is "Awka" is written that way. Is because of the sound effect.

You make sense. IMO it is shameful Awka is spelt that way. It is clearly not Igbo spelling.

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Chukazu: 7:54pm On Oct 29, 2017

Chidimma = God is good to ME?

How?

You were probably thinking Chi diri m mma/nma or chi di m nma/mma.

Nma = mma = good. Depends on where in Igboland you're from, and the spelling/orthography you choose to go with.

Not so.
"Chi diri m mma , would then mean "my God has been good to me"
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by FromZeroToHero(m): 7:55pm On Oct 29, 2017
both are correct. is like favor and favour, honor and honour.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by adaeze12345(f): 7:55pm On Oct 29, 2017
both are correct the "igbos " from ahoada and those frm s.e have dif spelling,pronu. bt the same meaning just like the music my gmum use to sing which one of them we go speak my edina or so great old sch song
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Caseless: 7:56pm On Oct 29, 2017
2015 topic? Lala why?
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by bidahjay: 7:57pm On Oct 29, 2017
It is chidimma not chidinma.
In Igbo, N and M are not found in a word.
Mma is a word.
But can only be seen in a 'phrasal-word' like oMe-Na-ala.
N and M behave like vowel but they are not vowel in Igbo language (ie myiri-udaume).

Please the correct spelling is CHIDINMA. Nma is good/beauty in Igbo. mma is wrong spelling.
N and M are found in Igbo words like Nmecha,nma,nmadu,nmacha etc. Don't mislead people with your wrong Igbo lexical lecture.
I have A1 in Igbo language, go and ask WAEC lol!
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Malawian(m): 7:58pm On Oct 29, 2017
juanmiguel:
Those who spell theirs as Chidinma just chose to do it that way. if you are talking about the correct spelling so long as Igbo Language is concerned it is spelt CHIDIMMA. Cos in Igbo Language, there is no consonant cluster
All this "consonant cluster" you guys keep saying, what of words like "mkpi"

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by WetinConsignMe: 7:58pm On Oct 29, 2017
Engrr:

Both cannot be correct. There is only one accepted central igbo (Igbo-Izugbe) which is MMA. Every other spelling and pronounciation is Olu-mba (people's dialect)

"Accepted" by who? When did I accept them? Language goes by usage. Period. If every Igbo starts spelling beauty as mama, that becomes the "correct" spelling.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by wtfcoded: 7:59pm On Oct 29, 2017
Bomgirl:
Una really get time!! angry sad angry
burn biiiitch.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by WetinConsignMe: 8:01pm On Oct 29, 2017
TimeMod3:
wow!. This was a 2015 thread. Guess the Mods have run out of ideas.
It was? U serious?
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by cstr1000: 8:01pm On Oct 29, 2017
Chidimma is the correct spelling. It is obvious na.
Like someone said, Anglicization has spoilt everything. A lot of strange influences brought from strange lands to dilute the Igbo language.
Someone also made an observation in another thread about how ancient Igbo names like Olanna are no longer being used. It is sad.
I gonna name my daughter, Olanna.
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nobody: 8:02pm On Oct 29, 2017
Shakingdbumbum:
both are correct. It depends on your dialect most people of IMO state and some surrounding igbo area dialect call chidinma. Anambra call it chidimma. depending on your Igbo dialect. just like amarachi imo/abia and some other Igbo dialects and amalachi anambra and some other Igbo dialect.

Lie

Anambra call it Chidinma
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by AuroraB(f): 8:03pm On Oct 29, 2017
NeduLuiZ:
Chidinma is the correct spelling

Beauty or good is spelt as "nma"
While an old woman or mother is spelt as "mma"

Chidinma means God is good.
You got no truth in you sad
Worse is, you are smart about it angry
You have misled some airheads, you know? Ngwa, go apologize to these people you have misled sad

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Chukazu: 8:03pm On Oct 29, 2017
WetinConsignMe:
By usage it is Chidnma. But in Igbo u can spell beauty as nma or mma PRESENTLY. Until one wins out.
There is no "correct" in language because who appointed who the authority to decide "correct".

Very true.
Every language is Dynamic and not static... that's why the English language has remained a Language of choice.

The last time a Language (the Latin language)refused the vicissitudes of dynamism ,it went into extinction...and that can happen to any language that refuses to adapt
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Nobody: 8:05pm On Oct 29, 2017
On my own
Igbo amaka
Easiest language to learn more than yoruba and hausa
Very easy......

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by cstr1000: 8:05pm On Oct 29, 2017

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by esthy86(f): 8:06pm On Oct 29, 2017
chidimma
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by AuroraB(f): 8:06pm On Oct 29, 2017
Shakingdbumbum:
both are correct. It depends on your dialect [s]most people of IMO state and some surrounding igbo area dialect call chidinma. [/s] Anambra call it chidimma. depending on your Igbo dialect. just like amarachi imo/abia and some other Igbo dialects and amalachi anambra and some other Igbo dialect.
Which 'Imo State' undecided
Must you have a say in efrytin
Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by Bomgirl(f): 8:06pm On Oct 29, 2017
wtfcoded:

burn biiiitch.

Real mature!! You woke up today and told yourself 'why don't I go online and call random people i've never met 'biiitch''. shocked embarassed
You are a disgrace to the 'wise men' we have in the east. Keep throwing tantrums online like a child whose toy was taken away. cheesy grin wink

1 Like

Re: Chidinma Or Chidimma? by OjujuCalabar(m): 8:07pm On Oct 29, 2017
Both are correct, diffferent meaning

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

The Most Ridiculous Bride Price You Have Ever Heard? / Oba Of Lagos Refuses To Shake Ooni Of Ife (video) / Drama At Ooni’s Palace: Wives, Children Barred From Ooni’s Burial

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.