Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,417 members, 7,819,507 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 05:21 PM

V8 /v12 Mercedes.... - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / V8 /v12 Mercedes.... (7055 Views)

Help!!! Need Advise Concerning A 2001 S600 Mercedes Benz With V12 Engine........ / Motorcycles With V8 Engines / A Deeper Look At The Lamborghini Aventador’s New V12 And ISR Gearbox (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 12:50am On Apr 07, 2015
peterjero:

It's so painful NL (cartalk) has made German car seem indestructible whereas they all use Japanese cars. Toyota supra will outlive any European super car. Even Mr Siena has said so in time past.

I use a German car.

Not sure why you would think that a Supra will outlive ANY European super car. It's simply not true.

1 Like

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 1:10am On Apr 07, 2015
peterjero:

It's so painful NL (cartalk) has made German car seem indestructible whereas they all use Japanese cars. Toyota supra will outlive any European super car. Even Mr Siena has said so in time past.

Outlive any European Super car in what sense?

Although I respect Siena's Automotive Prowess but show me any Toyota Product [Not just the Supra] + any Honda Product that can match this baby boo [2010 Bmw E63 M6 Coupe with 5.0Litre V10-500HP] in all ramifications, aside from fuel economy.

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by oseo1(m): 3:01am On Apr 07, 2015
CityNG:

The difference between the two cars is not just 70hp, no one will pay $100k (I doubt that figure) more for 70hp.

There's a reason manufacturers offer the V12 option.

I know on the 740iL and 750iL the differences are a laundry list.

Go check it out and you let me know, I know the s63 and S 65 are a lil different but the G63 and 65 are pretty much identical except for the engine, and the difference there is marginal in real life, that's if you even notice it.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 4:37am On Apr 07, 2015
oseo1:

Go check it out and you let me know, I know the s63 and S 65 are a lil different but the G63 and 65 are pretty much identical except for the engine, and the difference there is marginal in real life, that's if you even notice it.

I'll pass, I'm not your errand boy.

I've stated my opinion.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 4:53am On Apr 07, 2015
I've never owned any AMG or M vehicle but I've had my share of some of the higher end cars. This is a bit different from relying on Google data.

When you spend good money with either German, Japanese and now Koreans you are assured of top shelf weaponry.

I drove my Evo IX Se off the showroom floor with 6 miles on it and the 740iL also had very low miles. One of my coworkers had a 750iL (same year) and the differences were staggering. Not just simply 2 extra cylinders.

"My 750iL compels me to higher speeds
My last vehicle was a 1994 740i. At the time I asked what was so great about the 750iL and why anyone would spend $30,000 or more to have it if by the numbers the 740i was just as fast and cheeper to drive.

Now that I own a 1998 750iL I know. The 740i was fast getting on the freeway but doing over 100 mph in my 750iL is so easy that I find myself doing it very often. In the two years of having the 740i I past 120 twice and I remember the times well. Now I do it almost every week just because I can.

If anyone in northern Utah wants to do a side by side comparison let me know.
1998 BMW 750iL 141,000 miles"

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by lungwun(m): 10:45am On Apr 07, 2015
CityNG, I was just browsing, Minding my business when i saw your beauty above, I did some more browsing then i saw this beauty.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/618429286/overview/#1

All of a sudden my E46 looks like a Tonka toy and im going with the wild idea of owning one of these.
Despite all our local mechanics not knowing what to do when faced with a BMW V8, I want/need this car in my life.

From your experience, what do i need to look out for? What are the common day to day issues one might experience with these cars.
I have read about Vanos issues, Low batttery issues, Electrical Gremlins but i would appreciate an individual review from you.

i do not wrench myself but with the right direction, I could get 'Kazeem' to wrench for me and under my supervision if something goes wrong.

Ownership review please.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by peterjero(m): 11:35am On Apr 07, 2015
Zoharariel:

Outlive any European Super car in what sense?

Although I respect Siena's Automotive Prowess but show me any Toyota Product [Not just the Supra] + any Honda Product that can match this baby boo [2010 Bmw E63 M6 Coupe with 5.0Litre V10-500HP] in all ramifications, aside from fuel economy.
My word OUTLIVE means it will last longer when it's flogged everyday and not performance alone.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 1:39pm On Apr 07, 2015
lungwun:

CityNG, I was just browsing, Minding my business when i saw your beauty above, I did some more browsing then i saw this beauty.

http://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/618429286/overview/#1

All of a sudden my E46 looks like a Tonka toy and im going with the wild idea of owning one of these.
Despite all our local mechanics not knowing what to do when faced with a BMW V8, I want/need this car in my life.

From your experience, what do i need to look out for? What are the common day to day issues one might experience with these cars.
I have read about Vanos issues, Low batttery issues, Electrical Gremlins but i would appreciate an individual review from you.

i do not wrench myself but with the right direction, I could get 'Kazeem' to wrench for me and under my supervision if something goes wrong.

Ownership review please.

I keep a "bucket list" of iconic (my own definition based on research) cars that I must own, the E38 was on there.

I came across mine by a combination of luck and readiness of funds. It was insanely cheap.

During my 40,000 mile ownership it was just oil changes and a spark plug upgrade. I di some cosmetic changes like installing a subwoofer, etc but nothing major mechanically. I also did a swap to drilled and slotted front brakes with ceramic pads (eye popping stopping power, consistently).

I then had a crazy idea to flush the transmission after it developed a slight hunt when climbing hills. It was very slight but annoying to me as I notice things like that on my cars.

The flush procedure involves getting the car up on stands and topping it off while the engine was running. So imagine a Yoruba boy under a heavy a$$ 740 with the engine running - na fear fear stuff. So I'm sure I screwed up somewhere by not doing it properly. 5,000 miles later the transmission packed up, replacement cost was more than the price of the car so I decided to let it go. i sold it for more than I bought it for to a mechanic that so happened to have a brand new (not rebuilt) transmission.

Maintenance:

Not any worse than any of the other BMWs that I've owned. 1602, 2002, Bavaria, 530i, 528e, 528i, 325i, 325iS. Brake pads, etc were not expensive, I looked at shocks and that was pricey but I was only looking at top shelf products.

MPG:

Just like any other car, the driver controlled the gas milage. This car was very agile for it's size, in fact I am more confident entering curves in this car than I am in my 3 series, the exhaust note is angelic, especially when Vanos kicks in at high rpm under load so I tend to be hot dogging more than usual. So gas milage was usually in the pits. But when I drive nice it returns very good milage.

Drivability:

If you do get one and if it's in a good condition I expect you to come back and sing praises of how can BMW make such a big car handle like a sports car. It's simply amazing. Gobs of horsepower at any speed, even at freeway speed at 100mph when you floor the gas pedal it simply downshifts and scoots off.

Luxury:

If it was necessary in the 2000s then it has it. The 750iL (the piece the resistance) also has rear reclining seats. You have everything gentleman needs to oppress the landscape as far as luxury is concerned. None to go through a list. Has built in cellphone and even humidors (debatable) in the backseat.This is a very very high end car and not one you need to be adding options to. This was BMWs opulence factory response to other cars like the S cars. The Sheik of whatever oil country and you have the same car if you roll in an iL. grin They can have their gold plated Ferraris and Rolls Royce but this is what they typically get chauffeured around in on a more daily basis.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Try to look for a 2001 740iL (I like the L) with over 100,000 miles (there's a nasty pricey maintenance that is due around that period and you want to make sure it's been done properly).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by 123CarZ(m): 10:28pm On Apr 07, 2015
Mercedes benz SL-R MCLarren V12 is the fastest Mercedes car so far wt 0-180km in less than 10sec
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by themodernman: 10:26pm On Apr 08, 2015
CityNG:

I keep a "bucket list" of iconic (my own definition based on research) cars that I must own, the E38 was on there.

I came across mine by a combination of luck and readiness of funds. It was insanely cheap.

During my 40,000 mile ownership it was just oil changes and a spark plug upgrade. I di some cosmetic changes like installing a subwoofer, etc but nothing major mechanically. I also did a swap to drilled and slotted front brakes with ceramic pads (eye popping stopping power, consistently).

I then had a crazy idea to flush the transmission after it developed a slight hunt when climbing hills. It was very slight but annoying to me as I notice things like that on my cars.

The flush procedure involves getting the car up on stands and topping it off while the engine was running. So imagine a Yoruba boy under a heavy a$$ 740 with the engine running - na fear fear stuff. So I'm sure I screwed up somewhere by not doing it properly. 5,000 miles later the transmission packed up, replacement cost was more than the price of the car so I decided to let it go. i sold it for more than I bought it for to a mechanic that so happened to have a brand new (not rebuilt) transmission.

Maintenance:

Not any worse than any of the other BMWs that I've owned. 1602, 2002, Bavaria, 530i, 528e, 528i, 325i, 325iS. Brake pads, etc were not expensive, I looked at shocks and that was pricey but I was only looking at top shelf products.

MPG:

Just like any other car, the driver controlled the gas milage. This car was very agile for it's size, in fact I am more confident entering curves in this car than I am in my 3 series, the exhaust note is angelic, especially when Vanos kicks in at high rpm under load so I tend to be hot dogging more than usual. So gas milage was usually in the pits. But when I drive nice it returns very good milage.

Drivability:

If you do get one and if it's in a good condition I expect you to come back and sing praises of how can BMW make such a big car handle like a sports car. It's simply amazing. Gobs of horsepower at any speed, even at freeway speed at 100mph when you floor the gas pedal it simply downshifts and scoots off.

Luxury:

If it was necessary in the 2000s then it has it. The 750iL (the piece the resistance) also has rear reclining seats. You have everything gentleman needs to oppress the landscape as far as luxury is concerned. None to go through a list. Has built in cellphone and even humidors (debatable) in the backseat.This is a very very high end car and not one you need to be adding options to. This was BMWs opulence factory response to other cars like the S cars. The Sheik of whatever oil country and you have the same car if you roll in an iL. grin They can have their gold plated Ferraris and Rolls Royce but this is what they typically get chauffeured around in on a more daily basis.

I would buy another one in a heartbeat. Try to look for a 2001 740iL (I like the L) with over 100,000 miles (there's a nasty pricey maintenance that is due around that period and you want to make sure it's been done properly).

What I don't like about BMW is dr dash board...doesn't look sexy at all...unlike d Benzey
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 2:23am On Apr 09, 2015
themodernman:

What I don't like about BMW is dr dash board...doesn't look sexy at all...unlike d Benzey

That's the opinion thing.

I've owned many samples of both and I think the BMW has the best bash in its segments.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by themodernman: 2:46am On Apr 09, 2015
CityNG:

That's the opinion thing.

I've owned many samples of both and I think the BMW has the best bash in its segments.

Haba talk true nah....

Ds nah same year oh

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 2:52am On Apr 09, 2015
themodernman:

Haba talk true nah....

Ds nah same year oh

The pictures you show reminds me why I find Benz dashes uninspiring.

Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by themodernman: 3:00am On Apr 09, 2015
CityNG:

The pictures you show reminds me why I find Benz dashes uninspiring.

D 1st BMW dash you put on will be more recent dan d benz which ia 04....lets put d 2nd BMW dash side by side with d Benz...

Oya talk I'm listening.

Ps d steering wheel of d 2nd beamer is wat puts me off..its Fugly angry
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by Nobody: 3:05am On Apr 09, 2015
themodernman:

D 1st BMW dash you put on will be more recent dan d benz which ia 04....lets put d 2nd BMW dash side by side with d Benz...

Oya talk I'm listening.

Ps d steering wheel of d 2nd beamer is wat puts me off..its Fugly angry

I'm done.

Enjoy.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by themodernman: 3:07am On Apr 09, 2015
CityNG:

I'm done.

Enjoy.

You too.
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by 19naia(m): 7:59am On Apr 13, 2015
There was a time when V12 was the way around the torque limitations of gasoline engines.. V12 will give more torque than a V8 and do so more smoothly and also at lower RPMs...

These days, mercedes and others are able to get V8 engines to put out extreme power and torque combinations, thats why V8 is more common in AMG models of Mercedes today. There was a time when AMG just always put in a V12 and that got them the needed boost...

But The V12 is still able to give more torque at lower RPMs than a V8. So the V12 is best for giving high power to very heavy cars such as luxury loaded Maybachs, rolls royce and bentley.. They will take off strong even with a few tons under pull and do so smoothly because the low end torque comes easy.. The modern S600's are not as big and bulky as they used to be when V12 was always the standard engine for it..

reSearch torque and horse power ratios of any engine you consider, and then also research how smoothly it delivers that torque and power at low RPM versus high RPM.. Most gasoline engines dont give their torque potential until it reaches higher RPMs.. Some try very hard to give much torque at low RPM and it is too explosive and not smooth... V12 is the smoothest delivery of high torque power. A horse and elephant pulling the same load will get the job done, but the elephant will pull it more easily and as if no effort is involved at all and making a smoother ride... Horse is V8 and elephant is V12..
BTW, ferrari and Lambo and bugatti and co.. They know how to make a V12 explode violently with power beyond just a regular V12 put in a bentley or rolls... But then ,those engines render the car "not street legal", because if you fumble on the accelerator for just 1 second, you will find yourself several kilometers away from where you fumbled, in the blink of an eye...
Re: V8 /v12 Mercedes.... by chuka5000(m): 10:49am On Apr 13, 2015
Homguy:
after researching this ride, I honestly feel its a waste driving this currently. A V12 dishinng out only about 265hp stock is really poor. There are modern V6 rides that make almost and even more horsepower than this, while providing outstanding driving experience. IMO

Even my 2003 accord v6 dishes out 240hp.
That ccar is a waste of fuel.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

2003 Toyota Corolla S Vs 2003 Honda Accord / Most Popular Powerbikes In Nigeria? Please Educate Me. / Help Needed Lexus Es330 Vs Benz E320

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.