Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,956 members, 7,821,358 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 11:54 AM

Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike (13476 Views)

Resident Doctors Declare Indefinite Strike January 2 / Trouble! Doctors Begin Indefinite Strike / Lagos Doctors Forget Towel In Patient’s Abdomen After Surgery (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 3:18pm On Mar 16, 2015
Hmmm
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by micrep3030(m): 3:24pm On Mar 16, 2015
Jimi is the change we want
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 3:51pm On Mar 16, 2015
datribune:

Lol. Talk sense to a fool and he calls you foolish. First u call me a mad dog then dis. U be d judge who is really d frustrated one here. Better get ur sorry ass back to work. d days of holding d nation by d throat thru strikes & extorting lopsided & bogus deals ar over.

Go get a life brov..and stop dissing tongue
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by datribune: 4:19pm On Mar 16, 2015
kcdegr8:

Dude for the records i dnt earn salary, so you know what that means.
Go get a life..and stop dissing tongue

No wonder, d infantile insults. Try & grow up wit d right attitude rather than throwing tantrums on a public forum, calling people rabid dogs etc so dat d quality of ur upbringing will not be in doubt.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by Ajalekoko76(m): 4:42pm On Mar 16, 2015
APC Change now.... Y are u adamant on Doctors request. Am sure Fashola will blame GEJ for dis... cool
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 5:17pm On Mar 16, 2015
datribune:

No wonder, d infantile insults. Try & grow up wit d right attitude rather than throwing tantrums on a public forum, calling people rabid dogs etc so dat d quality of ur upbringing will not be in doubt.

Nigga soo daft
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by queensmith: 5:35pm On Mar 16, 2015
twoondei:
Can we have an intelligent discourse on the issues you've raised?
First, workers have a right to embark on industrial actions and they MUST not be victimized for it. Now, 8 other labour unions have gone on strike since the last doctors strike and they have been pain their salaries in full. This includes judiciary and joibt health sector union workers (nurses and co). Doctors have been selectively punished for going on strike.

Secondly, only doctors are being employed by the state govt as contract staff and this means you just get paid, no pensions, no career path, no promotion, you're just working like....a worker! This is, puting it lightly, insane. It is not done anywhere else in Nigeria amd not even other workers in the health team are treated this way.

So let's reason, if you stop training of doctors in your only teaching hospital, the one with which you boast on tv everyday, what future plans do you have for the health system?

My problem even is that they know and understad these issues but just feel like being lords.

Enuf is enuf!

I've been waiting for a sensible response smiley smiley

No1 - I 100% agree that workers should be allowed to strike - but we both have to admit that the case of doctors striking is very very dangerous, because lives are at stake.

no2 If I remember properly, the doctors were disputing the new grading system that Fasholas government introduced, which they claimed wasn't in line with national standards or so. The second issue was that they removed teaching allowance for junior doctors.

I am very unsympathetic to doctors simply because I feel they complain far too much for people that are well remunerated, so you will have to forgive the bias approach to judging this issue.

These are incredibly flimsy reasons for striking, I agree with the governments view that junior doctors shouldn't be paid teaching allowance ( please who is a junior doctor teaching?) if anything they are learning, lets not pretend junior doctors are teaching nurses thats a nonsense argument. Even in the UK they will not claim such.

Hiring contract staff is a prerogative of the employer - an employee cannot dictate to his boss the basis of his employment. Contract hire (as I understand it) is beneficial to both the employer and employee as they are often paid alot more and the employer doesn't have to worry about long term cost of maintaining staff. It's even more effective if you are faced with doctors that enjoy going on strike without the consideration of lives that are lost.

If the government are victimizing the doctors then of course I agree it's unfair, but don't forget these people are very well paid in comparison.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by klbakare(m): 8:51pm On Mar 16, 2015
queensmith:
To focus on the issues at hand - since when do employees dictate to their employer what they will and won't be paid for?

If the government decides to hire contract staff then that is their prerogative - and I don't blame them when lives were lost the last time doctors went on strike.

They may have a right to strike, at the same time the government has a right to ensure lives are not lost and hiring contract staff is the easiest measure to do so.

If these doctors are not happy then they should more to Maiduguri and work there maybe other states will pay them more and overlook their nonsense. kmt

bro God bless you on this one. truth is Nigerian doctors are greedy and Lagos doctors are too demanding. they understood the no work no pay policy before they went on this particular strike. the cause of the strike was not their business but they decided to join their colleagues in other parts of the country. imagine any consultant with up to 7-8yrs experience or so earns up to 700k in Lagos ooo while millions of Nigerians never see food chop. and besides which other state in Nigeria employs more doctors than Lagos state.
and on top all these money wey dem dey collect you need to see them at hospitals, na tehm go resume by 9am still dey complain sey dem dey close for 5pm oooo. idiot pepl! fashola should just settle them cos of the election so that they wont tarnish his repute or that of his excellent works.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by datribune: 9:43pm On Mar 16, 2015
kcdegr8:

Nigga soo daft!
I can employ ur sorry a*ss lol

Hahahaha in ur dreams. Frm ur gala hawking bizness?. I doubt it. Lol
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 11:31pm On Mar 16, 2015
searching4love:
undecided

#team foreign girls cool

Sorry to digress , we all once in a life time love some foreign love but an african ebony ass is the best dish served to mankind
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 12:58am On Mar 17, 2015
Okay.... now I understand how much information you're privy to.

1. There's never been a doctors' strike that hasn't been preceded by extensive negotiations and seties of pleas from us. In this particular case, we have cobsulted evryone, and I mean everyone who is a stake holder in this matter. We went as far as Tinubu, ambode, Fashola.rWe brought in senator mamora, dr Obembe, chris Ngige to negotiate the paymet of salaries owed for over two years.
We did a protest aired on national Tv, we put up publications in the dailies, went to media houses, and this matter was left to linger for TWO whole years. Now, it's not even so bad that we've not fed in the last two years but this is undue and unhust victimisation. Now things have gone thos bad and it's unfortunate it's close to the general elections. We are mindful of the fact that the masses are at the receiving end and that's why we've explored all other avenues of negotiations before getting to this. Well, that's not going too far.

On whether jubior doctors should be paid teachjng allowance. I'm sure you know or have one friend or family member who is a doctor or went thru medical training in Nigeria. Medical training js essentially mentorship. Junior doctors train medicak students. And they are responsible for more than 60% of the training of doctors. They're the most avaliable at every point in time and they do most of the teaching. That is what sustains the medical training system all over the world. Now, if I'm not paid to teach medical students, I don't see it as a duty. I just do my work and leave. Then we see what becomes of the system in a few years time. Tbh, removing teaching allowance was just the only thing they could sell to the public as a justification for reducing doctors salaries.

With these few points of mine... I should just submit here.

I will be willing to throw more light on any area that looks grey.

queensmith:

I've been waiting for a sensible response smiley smiley

No1 - I 100% agree that workers should be allowed to strike - but we both have to admit that the case of doctors striking is very very dangerous, because lives are at stake.

no2 If I remember properly, the doctors were disputing the new grading system that Fasholas government introduced, which they claimed wasn't in line with national standards or so. The second issue was that they removed teaching allowance for junior doctors.

I am very unsympathetic to doctors simply because I feel they complain far too much for people that are well remunerated, so you will have to forgive the bias approach to judging this issue.

These are incredibly flimsy reasons for striking, I agree with the governments view that junior doctors shouldn't be paid teaching allowance ( please who is a junior doctor teaching?) if anything they are learning, lets not pretend junior doctors are teaching nurses thats a nonsense argument. Even in the UK they will not claim such.

Hiring contract staff is a prerogative of the employer - an employee cannot dictate to his boss the basis of his employment. Contract hire (as I understand it) is beneficial to both the employer and employee as they are often paid alot more and the employer doesn't have to worry about long term cost of maintaining staff. It's even more effective if you are faced with doctors that enjoy going on strike without the consideration of lives that are lost.

If the government are victimizing the doctors then of course I agree it's unfair, but don't forget these people are very well paid in comparison.
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by Nobody: 1:02am On Mar 17, 2015
Chief, everybody get as e dey take rise for their own chosen career o.
To be consultant no be beans at all at all. You end up being one at 35 and someone is complaining you earn 700k? Naaaaa.
Residency is hell bro!
He's worked hard for it and he should enjoy it.
klbakare:

bro God bless you on this one. truth is Nigerian doctors are greedy and Lagos doctors are too demanding. they understood the no work no pay policy before they went on this particular strike. the cause of the strike was not their business but they decided to join their colleagues in other parts of the country. imagine any consultant with up to 7-8yrs experience or so earns up to 700k in Lagos ooo while millions of Nigerians never see food chop. and besides which other state in Nigeria employs more doctors than Lagos state.
and on top all these money wey dem dey collect you need to see them at hospitals, na tehm go resume by 9am still dey complain sey dem dey close for 5pm oooo. idiot pepl! fashola should just settle them cos of the election so that they wont tarnish his repute or that of his excellent works.
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by klbakare(m): 7:40am On Mar 17, 2015
twoondei:
Chief, everybody get as e dey take rise for their own chosen career o.
To be consultant no be beans at all at all. You end up being one at 35 and someone is complaining you earn 700k? Naaaaa.
Residency is hell bro!
He's worked hard for it and he should enjoy it.

you mean one can start earning that amount as early as 35 years old abi and you guys are busy complaining all the time. you people just don't know the priviledge you have in a country like Nigeria. you think its because u guys are good abi? there are so many people who would have been better in other disciplines but earn peanut...u uys should take what you have and stop complaining! undecided

proud people
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by queensmith: 10:13am On Mar 17, 2015
twoondei:
Okay.... now I understand how much information you're privy to.

1. There's never been a doctors' strike that hasn't been preceded by extensive negotiations and seties of pleas from us. In this particular case, we have cobsulted evryone, and I mean everyone who is a stake holder in this matter. We went as far as Tinubu, ambode, Fashola.rWe brought in senator mamora, dr Obembe, chris Ngige to negotiate the paymet of salaries owed for over two years.
We did a protest aired on national Tv, we put up publications in the dailies, went to media houses, and this matter was left to linger for TWO whole years. Now, it's not even so bad that we've not fed in the last two years but this is undue and unhust victimisation. Now things have gone thos bad and it's unfortunate it's close to the general elections. We are mindful of the fact that the masses are at the receiving end and that's why we've explored all other avenues of negotiations before getting to this. Well, that's not going too far.

On whether jubior doctors should be paid teachjng allowance. I'm sure you know or have one friend or family member who is a doctor or went thru medical training in Nigeria. Medical training js essentially mentorship. Junior doctors train medicak students. And they are responsible for more than 60% of the training of doctors. They're the most avaliable at every point in time and they do most of the teaching. That is what sustains the medical training system all over the world. Now, if I'm not paid to teach medical students, I don't see it as a duty. I just do my work and leave. Then we see what becomes of the system in a few years time. Tbh, removing teaching allowance was just the only thing they could sell to the public as a justification for reducing doctors salaries.

With these few points of mine... I should just submit here.

I will be willing to throw more light on any area that looks grey.

RE: the training aspect - that is not how it is sustained around the world. Maybe only in Nigeria, a junior Doctor has no business teaching anybody things they don't know. In the UK the junior doctors are there to learn and gain experience. They're not even able to independently see or treat patients, they are under constant supervision.

To the issue of unpaid salaries - are you saying they didnt actually pay you salaries for 2 years. Or you are speaking of the months when the doctors went on strike and the government refused to compensate them for the times they didn't work? I don't know the legalities of the 'no work no pay' rule but it should ideally be presented in court. Let the courts determine whether you are owed for that or not.

If they removed teaching allowances for consultants and senior physicians then definitely there is a problem. Unless one is actually in a lecture room or theater delivering sessions to the students I don't see why they should be given extra allowances. If student presentations are a part of your learning process as a junior doctor then you dont necessarily need to be financially compensated for that.
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by Zeus777: 2:12pm On Mar 17, 2015
@queensmith,
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by Zeus777: 2:13pm On Mar 17, 2015
@queensmith, pls do explain to me y this no work and no pay thing seem to have only been applied to d lag drs but never to d judiciary workers Again , is there no law in Nigeria that stipulates how long govt could employ workers as casual staffs b4 compulsorily regularising d said casual employment Also we learnt that d governor refused to meet wt the NATIONAL president of the NMA who flew into lagos from abj wt a view to averting d dr strike. My question is if fashola"s father was lyin critically Ill in a lagos hospital at the time do u think he still would Hv declined meetin wt d drs??
Re: Lagos Doctors Begin Another Indefinite Strike by queensmith: 3:34pm On Mar 17, 2015
Zeus777:
@queensmith, pls do explain to me y this no work and no pay thing seem to have only been applied to d lag drs but never to d judiciary workers Again , is there no law in Nigeria that stipulates how long govt could employ workers as casual staffs b4 compulsorily regularising d said casual employment Also we learnt that d governor refused to meet wt the NATIONAL president of the NMA who flew into lagos from abj wt a view to averting d dr strike. My question is if fashola"s father was lyin critically Ill in a lagos hospital at the time do u think he still would Hv declined meetin wt d drs??

I don't know tbh but I will guess the gov.t decided to judge the strikes they viewed as legitimate and the ones that aren't. I'm not sure the judiciary were striking for the same reason. Lets not forget we were told (dont know if its true) that the doctors strike was actually illegal.

I do agree there should be a law covering the length of time a role can be filled with contract staff, because the government should not get away with giving employers decent benefits. Again I'm using the standards of contract employers in the UK, but if Nigeria is the same, contract staff are normally very well paid (often double the wage of permanent staff) the idea is to ensure the position is worthwhile to those filling it.

I very much doubt Fashola will admit his dad into a hospital managed by the state but I get your point lol, at the same time will doctors be hurrying off to strike if their family members were laying critically ill in the hospital, lets not forget the initial strike was for flimsy reasons and this resulted in the loss of lives.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Baby Flips-out During Routine Scan / Get Rid Dark Armpit , Dark Knuckles, Dark Patches With Oriflame Milk & Honey / What Drugs Makes U Gain Weight?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.