Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,378 members, 7,819,374 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:04 PM

Lost - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Lost (546 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lost by Nobody: 10:56am On Mar 17, 2015
You're all welcome, guys don't forget to comments if i should continue the story or not note your comment are appreciated cause it part of encouragement....
----
Iwatched as the horizon slowly consumed the sun, painting the sky above with beautiful reds and pinks. As I took it in, I imagined what it would be like to bathe in those colors, free like a bird.
The pink glow that was left behind began to melt into the dark sky. Luminous speckles sprang into existence one by one and soon trailed across heavens face like a great path of freckles. Tonight's sunset was truly an amazing sight. There would be more of them to come, the electric neon skies were a tell-tale sign of the coming winter.
I let out a satisfied sigh, watching my breath as it was carried away into the cold night air. It took a couple of strong pushes to bring the window down, but when it did it let out a deafening clank as it slammed shut. I pulled the curtains in and made my way to the couch where I plopped down, my body sunk into its worn cushions delightfully.
"I wonder what life was like before all of this?" I sighed, comforted from my warm seat. My thoughts were on the past and what it was like for our ancestors, for the people who lived hundreds of years ago.
With that question my gaze shifted over to the dining room table, to my friend, Justin. I wondered, at first, if he had heard me. He was so thoroughly engaged in a large pile of paperwork that it seemed so. But after some time he stopped writing, letting his pen fall to the table.
"Wondering such things is pointless, Alanis," Justin said, sighing. "You're an adult. The time to ponder meaningless subjects has passed." He looked over at me with his bitter reply. The brown eyes that glared in my direction could have easily spoken on his behalf. I could tell he was exhausted and my chronic questioning this evening was only making it worse. He ran his hands through his thick brown hair while reclining back in his seat then closed his eyes.
"Don't you ever dream of a better future?" I asked. "You can say that you don't, but I know you'd be lying if you did."
His eyes peeped open. "You should be worried about getting accepted intoLarska. If you used just a fraction of the energy you waste daydreaming you'd be top of your class." He sat forward. "But since you'll press the matter till I cave, I'll answer your question." He laughed subtly as his eyes wandered back to his paperwork. "Every waking hour of my life I dream that dream. Why else would I work as hard as I do?"
I silently mused over his answer, it was one of the more heartfelt answers he ever gave.
"So did you study," he asked, lifting his eyes, scrutinizing my lost stare.
"Yes," I droned and his eyebrow rose questioning my sincerity.
"Good."
Good, I mouthed tactfully as his gaze dropped to his papers again. My rolling eyes went unseen as he began to pile his thick stack of papers into his briefcase, making sure to get every sheet in order.
He looked up at me, the exhaustion that filled his eyes was quickly replaced by a sweeping panic. "Shit, I've got to run bySection Oneand drop these off before they notice they're missing," he grumbled, stuffing the last of his papers away.
I watched as he locked the briefcase, studying his pale face. Ever since his promotion he had worked himself ragged, having little time for anything else, including lecturing me.
Justin worked in the science department ofSection One, the higher ofLarska's Security Sections. He was unable to discuss most of the new workload he inherited, which made me paranoid of what he was keeping from me. But I did know that his main task was analyzing data on'The Burn', a plague that has run rampant for over two hundred years. The disease killed all who acquired it and left the initial population affected by it ravaged.
Re: Lost by Nobody: 10:58am On Mar 17, 2015
In the years following, all larger cities were broken down into smaller settlements that scattered across the world in hopes to reduce exposure to the disease. The small group of people who weren't susceptible were encouraged to breed, to form a bloodline that wouldn't be affected by it. It had worked, but on occasion some would still contract it for unknown reasons at birth.
Those that were infected were taken and monitored byLarska Government Officialson the outskirts of town. They called those settlementsSectors. But they should have called them what they really were - a quarantine zone.
I was one of the few lucky enough to have been born with it. My eighteen years of life have been behindSectorwalls. I was raised by differentLarska Officialsthroughout the years until I reached the age of sixteen. On that day, I was given an apartment of my own, and it was when I was given my finalOfficial, Justin. It was his job to come by and make sure I wasn't showing any symptoms of the disease, and make sure I was following through on my training to get intoLarska.
It wasn't an entirely miserable experience, theLarskaemployees were always kind and we had been given everything we had asked for - within reason. I had heard from many of theOfficialsthat they preferred living in theSectorsinstead of the industrial inner city, claiming that the walls blocked off all scenic views. It helped to hear that, but it didn't entirely crush my curiosity of seeing the city for myself someday.
The walls aroundCentral Larskakept most of its layout a mystery, leaving only the tops of the skyscrapers to tower above them. Some nights, I would sit out on my balcony and watch those buildings, wondering if someone was peering down at me with the same curiosity that I had. I wondered if they were all afraid of the people who lived outside of the walls below them.
If they were, they were wrong for it.
He picked up a white plastic package off the table and tore at its end, ripping it open in one clean motion. I looked at him with concern growing steadily in my eyes. I knew what he was planning.
"Give me your arm," he muttered.
Not the damn needle again, my thoughts began to race and my stomach twisted. It wasn't the needle I was afraid of, it was the medication that daunting piece of plastic held. Several years ago I had a horrible reaction to whatever drug they injected me with. It shut down most of my muscles leaving me paralyzed for half a day. The horrible part was that the reaction didn't occur until I was alone. So I sat there frozen, fearing that I would be stuck that way forever. It was one of the most terrifying things I ever went through, and I feared it would happen again.
I crossed my arms tightly against my chest in protest. "I thought you told me this would be aoncea month thing. You promised," I stuttered back childishly.
"I lied." He gawked.
I couldn't believe he had said it so bluntly, but who was I kidding, he always had a knack for being brash with his words.
He sighed examining my frightened stare. "You've done this a million times, why you still act like a baby is beyond me."
If I had seen the look on my face I probably would have agreed with him at that moment. As he pulled the syringe out of its plastic packaging I scooted back into the corner of the couch cowering nervously.
I gulped, "Couldn't you just knock me out for this?" I held my arm out hesitantly, my free hand covered my mouth to hold back my pathetic whimpers.
Re: Lost by Nobody: 11:00am On Mar 17, 2015
"That would also require a needle, unless you want me to hit you over the head with something." He chuckled while swiping a cold cotton swab across my arm.
I clenched my eyes as he pulled the sterilizing swab away and tried to clear my mind of what was going to happen. My arm began to shake in anticipation, he noticed and grabbed my hand holding it within his in an attempt to calm me, but it only made things worse.
In an attempt to calm my nerves, I began to count backwards from ten, until I was aware that my arm shook with every number I breathed. Those soft tremors began to turn into a fierce earthquake.
"Alanis," his whisper broke through, sweeping my attention to him and his soft voice. I waited silently for him to finish what he would say.
"I think you should know something--"His pause lasted for a mere moment, but as I thought about it later that night it felt longer because of what he said next. "I love you..." My heart stopped with his confession, but my mind raced on.
Did I heard him right? I had no idea what to think. It was all so sudden and the first response I could pull from my head was "Okay" and I knew that wouldn't cut it, not after what he had just said. He was handsome and many of my female classmates were jealous that he was assigned to me as anOfficial. If they had known him as well as I they wouldn't have been so enchanted. He was stubborn and crass at times, and he had no problem throwing his weight around. But those were flaws that I somehow learned to stomach when he smiled. I loved his smile, it reminded me of the youth we shared together, but it also reminded me of the unfortunate past I shared with his brother. It was one of the many reasons why I didn't think of him that way, so I never thought about it - until now.
He gripped my hand tighter, I could feel my palm sweating into his hand.
My throat was dry when I went to speak. "What?" I squeaked my reply as he pierced my flesh.
I opened my eyes just in time to see him pull the needle from my arm.
"All done," he said while placing a band-aid on my arm.
I blinked several times as I examined his rigid face. He detected my shocked stare out of the corner of his eye and began to grin deviously. And soon a look washed over his face, it didn't take long for me to realize that look was gratification. It was then I realized his ruse and thanked God I didn't act out on his false confession.
I pressed down on the band-aid to make sure it was flat against my skin. "You're hilarious," I croaked giving him credit for his deception.
"Butitworked," he said wryly. "Last time it took three times before you quit jerking. This time I wanted to spare you from any unnecessary pain." He gave a sly smile while picking up his briefcase.
"That won't always work-" I stroked my arm nervously. "I mean... you knowwhatI mean. It won't work again."
"Don't you worry, I have plenty of tricks up my sleeve. I'll surprise you next time, I promise."
"Don'tyouhave somewhere to be?" I reminded him for my own benefit.
"Always trying to rush me out, when I one-up you. You'll never change." He strode to the door with a certain cocky pep.
I followed behind him, anxiously awaiting his departure. The door slid into the wall with a click as he scanned his key-card. I instantly cradled my arms to my chest as frigid air flooded the room.
He turned towards me. His brown eyes gazed down at me with concern hidden within them.
"Try to go to sleep at a decent hour tonight. I've heard someone keeps daydreaming in theLarska Admission Course."
I smiled brightly, brushing my loose hair away from my cheek. "Says who?"
"Good night, Alanis." He walked out to the porch slinging his briefcase over his shoulder.
"I'm changing my door code," I called out to him jokingly.
As the door slid shut I couldn't help examining my empty apartment. I sighed, feeling loneliness creep up on me again. Annoyed as I was with his constant lecturing and grumpy attitude, I found myself longing for his company more often than before. His false confession tonight had gripped my heart and it forced me to think about our past again, and I wondered if he had forgiven me for it yet.
Later, I sat on the balcony and watched the night sky, a soft blanket kept me warm as I counted the stars. They twinkled and danced in the light of the rising moon. I knew I wouldn't be going to bed at a decent hour that night, as Justin had so kindly suggested. The next day in training would be rough, but I knew I could manage it, I always did...
Re: Lost by Nobody: 7:25pm On Mar 17, 2015
The next day after class I took a quick powernap at my desk. Within my dreamless sleep I could hear someone calling my name. At first, my name was said as soft as velvet, but over time it grew into a bellowing call.
Alanis... Alanis... ALANIS!!!
The shouting died then my desk skipped forward from a thrusting kick that struck the back of my chair. My eyes darted open while I was still in motion, bouncing forward. I was slumped over my desk with head nestled between my folded arms. A small noticeable trail of drool clung to my bottom lip, but I managed to wipe it clean before I rose to meet the face of my assaulter.
"You've got to stop staying up late. Those bags under your eyes aren't helping your cause."
Ughhh, Anna, I wasn't mentally prepared to deal with her, though I should have realized sooner it was her calling out my name. She gave me a friendly wave while she sat down in the desk behind me. Her blue eyes peered down at my exposed midriff, pointing it out subtly. I straightened the bunching material of my shirt, smoothing it down my stomach to my faded blue jeans.
I had known Anna most of my life, we both lived inLarska's Section Three Sector. Everyone who knew us, called us'The Elis Sisters', a nickname we were given when we were younger.
Elis was the surname we were given after our disease was confirmed. It was also used for identification purposes. Each year had a different surname, and since we were both born the same year a group of very clever boys decided the name fit--because we were always together.
Back then, Anna and I would play in an old abandoned stone tower on the outskirts of town. We played almost every day in those ruins, dreaming of the days of knights and kings. We'd often pretend that we were warrior princesses fighting our way through a never-ending dungeon. Our imaginations ran wild throughout those stone walls, we were free from all worry and our future didn't frighten us.
But one day something changed her, it tore away at her innocence and left her in a state of depression. I always figured it was brought on by the deaths of our close friends. Every time someone passed from the disease she isolated herself from everyone, including me. For some reason, she took the deaths of others harder than the I did.
It wasn't until lately that she had a change of heart and her attitude had taken a drastic turn. She was outgoing and shown interest in forming bonds with others, especially those of the opposite sex. She'd gab about all the guys she was interested in incessantly to me. She was changed. Oftentimes I would joke and ask her if she was replaced by an alien or a clone.
The truth is she was like a sister to me--though we were nothing alike, we complimented each other's flaws. I was happy to call her a friend, even though she annoyed me at times.
I brushed dark hair from my face; several stray strands clung to my moist cheek. "You're in a lively mood today," I commented with a small yawn.
She leaned toward me, her blond hair spilled over her shoulder as she squealed. "Ikissedhim."
Her lips formed a smile that broke away into her flushed cheeks. I watched as her proud grin grew wider. It was almost impossible to resist getting sucked into it. It was one of those heartwarming smiles that made you want to smile, and pretty soon I was.
I gasped, it was laced with a hidden undertone of disapproval. "Anna, tell me you didn't kiss him," I whispered. "You said you weren't going to risk it, that it was a mistake and it would cause drama. It was the first time you and Iactuallyagreed on something, remember?" I was referring to anOfficialshe was now interested in, anOfficialof one of the younger girls we mentored.
Re: Lost by Nobody: 7:02pm On Mar 23, 2015
“I know what I said, but I couldn’t help
it.” Her eyes closed as she sighed. “It
was amazing.”
I crumpled back into my chair, I knew it!
It was pointless to have asked her.
They’ve both been awkwardly flirting
with each other for a while now; it was
bound to happen sooner or later. I just
didn’t want to see her get hurt in the
long run, not when she had come so
far.
“You should try it sometime. If you
knew what you were missing you’d
understand,” she teased.
“I’ve been kissed before.” I sat up in my
chair with my reply and she laughed.
“Must have been bad.”
I slunk down in my chair again, I wasn’t
about to open that can of worms.
“So… We talked about throwing a small
party over at his place for my birthday.”
She beamed changing the subject
skillfully. “Oh, you could bring Justin
with you,” she said, twirling a lock of
her blond hair around her finger
innocently.
“Why would I bring him?”
As I asked that question I instantly
regretted it by the look Anna was giving
me. She perked her chest out and with a
smile answered, “Because he’s–”
“No way, no how! That’s not going to
happen,” I replied curtly, not allowing
her the chance to finish the rest of her
sentence.
I knew nothing good would come at
the end of it. But her devious smile told
me what the rest of her thought was.
She had been on a mission to set me up
with someone, anyone, so I knew what
she was doing.
“Why, is it because of James?” she
asked timidly, as if she knew she was
crossing boundaries she shouldn’t.
My eyes were wide, and my heart
tripped within my chest. I was shocked
for a moment by his name. It had been
a long time since I had heard someone
say his name around me.
James was Justin’s older brother, he
was the first guy I ever had a crush on.
At the time, I thought I was in love with
him. I could admit now that I was
young and naïve. I couldn’t see that the
relationship I wanted with him could
never be, and at times, even now, I felt
he was too kind to tell me so.
Needless to say, things didn’t end to
well between us and the very thought
of him brought back bad memories.
“No, I just don’t feel that way about
him,” I responded while trying to clear
my head.
“I know he likes you.” She gave me a
half-smile.
I smiled back. “No he doesn’t.” I made
sure to make my words clear, they
droned out of my lips like a stiff
warning. She examined my face; her
eyes dissected my every move.
Her fingers began to tap on the top of
the desk as she looked over me
curiously. “Come on. We need a few
people to show up. Even if he isn’t your
date I would like him to be there. He is a
friend of mine after all,” she said,
sounding defeated, but I knew she was
still up to no good.
“Okay, I’ll tell him,” I grumbled.
I could hear her feet dancing from
under her desk. This confirmed my
earlier assumption, she was up to
something.
I slammed my hand down on her
desktop. She jumped back in her seat,
her smile waned. “If anything stupid
happens I will know it was you,” I
warned with a curled upper-lip.
“I promise I’ll be good–” she paused
just to catch the breath that I stole from
her. “Just get him to come.”
Re: Lost by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 23, 2015
She went on about the kiss she shared
with theOfficial, sparing no detail. I
smiled and listened, humoring her, it
was nice to see her so happy about
something. In a way I was envious of
her relationship, I wasn’t the cold
person I projected to others, I too
wanted to take part in a romance.
——
The next day I made it to class early to
discuss party plans with Anna. I had
thought up so many nice ideas for it so
I was excited to share them with her.
Her eighteenth was miserable, most of
the party she sat alone in silence. It
wasn’t until the end of the party she
transformed into a raving lunatic,
whatever set her off was still a mystery
even to this day.
Though as scary as she was, it was the
cake that took the brunt of her anger
that night. When we brought the three
layered chocolate cake out for her to
make a wish, she hurled it over the
balcony. The candles were blazing as it
flew through the air, spattering the
street below. She then swore she would
never have another celebration because
it was pointless, or at least that is what I
thought she had said through all her
sobbing.
This time, I wanted her birthday to be
memorable, in a good way, for her, and
now that she was in better spirits I felt
it would be. I had invited Justin to come
as she requested, and he had accepted.
I sat alone for a while waiting for her to
show. The empty class began to fill until
everyone was there, except for Anna.
She didn’t show up for class that day,
and the day after. I didn’t think about it
until the fourth day she was absent, the
others in our training class soon started
to gossip about her whereabouts. Their
talking started to make me get this
horrible feeling in my gut, it made it
hard to concentrate on anything else let
alone class. The day dragged on,
bringing my paranoia to a heightened
state by its end.
Finally, class ended, while everyone was
sitting around gossiping about
weekend plans I quickly packed my
backpack and made my way to Anna’s
apartment. The last of the sunlight
began to fade into darkness. I walked
down the dark street, and had this
funny feeling that someone was
following me. I gripped my backpack
tightly around my arm and began to
walk a little quicker.
Just as I quickened my pace the street
lights flashed on all at once, it stopped
me in my tracks, and looked up at them
until the shock wore off. I continued to
walk reminding myself along the way
that I was almost there, that there was
nothing to worry about. As her
apartment drew near I began to feel a
rush of relief, I made my way up the
concrete steps to her porch.
The light was dead.
I pressed the buzzer to her apartment
several times. The last time I held it
down several seconds to make sure she
would have ample time to hear it. After
a few minutes of waiting I decided her
lack of response warranted the use of
her door code to enter on my own. It
took a while to pry open the rusted
emergency open box on her door,
when it did, pieces of rusted metal and
dried up bug bits fell from it. I wiped my
hands on my jeans and entered the
code she had given me. The door
clicked and slid into the wall.
I walked into the dimly lit living room
and dropped my backpack to my feet.
The room was completely empty. I
rushed through each room calling out
her name, hoping she would answer
me. But she never did. Where could she
have gone, did theLarska
Governmentmove her to a
differentSectorbecause of her
relationship with theOfficial? I felt like I
had slipped into some sort of nightmare
that I could not wake from.
I began to search for clues around her
apartment in hopes I would find out
what happened to her. It was bare,
every inch of it had been cleaned out,
there was nothing to find.

(1) (Reply)

How I Am Writing A Book / The Journey So Far! / THE PROPHECY

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.