Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,671 members, 7,837,477 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% (34684 Views)

FG Opposes Electricity Tariff Reversal, Backs NERC / Federal High Court Voids Hike In Electricity Tariff, Fines NERC/DISCOS / BREAKING: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by leanalyst: 7:05pm On Mar 17, 2015
arsetalks:
How come it is few days to election that everything starts happening?

Be honest with yourself.
Honestly all leaders are the same, maybe its coincidence, maybe its a vote gaining tactics. But I just want to be happy & enjoy dis new development.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by tunde1200(m): 7:32pm On Mar 17, 2015
ribbit:
I wonder o

This is good news though. Hopefully, it would reduce the amount those blood suckers gimme every month..

I wish we start having election every 6weeks, Nigeria will be a great country In no time if the leaders know that you will be gone in 6weeks if you do nonsense. grin
[color=#990000][/color][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font] grin
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by Bamz(m): 7:44pm On Mar 17, 2015
ratchetwrench:
All in the hope of winning re-run. Maybe presidential election should be holding every 6 months, and see how Nigeria will turn to Canada in less than 5 years

Spot on chief. There would be real change and transformation all bundled up.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by ollyruffy: 8:21pm On Mar 17, 2015
Last minute method of decieving people. Have u also removed that baseless fixed charges?

Anyway, you are on your own. We have decided.

We march4Buhari

#GEJMUSTGO2015#.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by Nobody: 8:41pm On Mar 17, 2015
Urine:

So your playfulness is just a cloak, you have asked a very intelligent question and I'm really impressed.

To answer your question, Telecoms companies in Nigeria are private, but we have the NCC there to ensure everything is fair and also put them in check. The NERC is doing something similar to that.
Ahn Ahn. Only Blonds are dumb now, I have black hair grin grin.
Thanks for the explanation, i'll tell others when they ask me the same question.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by Nobody: 8:42pm On Mar 17, 2015
ElFenomeno1:

Privatised yes, but they are still subject to regulation and controls and that is what the NERC are doing!

The reduction is actioned by the power companies but mandated and directed by the NERC after talks between top guys on both sides ( NERC and the power companies CEO's / Directors )
Oh ok. Thanks so much for taking time to explain. Really appreciate it. smiley
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by columbus007(m): 8:43pm On Mar 17, 2015
Its too late,does it mean that he just started seeing the epileptic power supply?and the untold challenges the Nigeria population is faced because of some dubious individual in the name of mtyo?our eyes are open to all their dubious means of xploit,in Buhari I believe its APC I stand.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by Nobody: 8:43pm On Mar 17, 2015
maestroferddi:
As in how old are you?
Your point exactly?
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by masqot(m): 9:06pm On Mar 17, 2015
Nonsense. That means I've been cheated in broad day light if 50% reduction would still cover operating cost. For goodness sake, how did they arrive at the initial tariff if the intention was not fraudulent? Where are the Prepaid Metres if not empty promises. I think "someone" needs to be brought to book because we cannot continue with these trend of failures.

2 Likes

Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by VolvoS60(m): 9:06pm On Mar 17, 2015
maestroferddi:
As in how old are you?

^^^^
Her age has nothing to do with it. Answer the question or hold your peace.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by ElFenomeno1: 9:06pm On Mar 17, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

Oh ok. Thanks so much for taking time to explain. Really appreciate it. smiley
no problemo.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by NovusHomo(m): 9:10pm On Mar 17, 2015
Electricity, what electricity?
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by VolvoS60(m): 9:35pm On Mar 17, 2015
angry

After faffing about for 90 minutes, the administration has realized, Super Eagles style, that defeat is a real possibility with just 2 minutes of injury time to go. undecided

Telling the goalkeeper, sweeper, full and centre backs to move forward into striking positions shows how desperate things have become. Too little, too late. What if there's a counterattack?

It should never have come to this.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by maestroferddi: 11:21pm On Mar 17, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

Your point exactly?
What a lame question!

So privatisation should entail that off-takers are at liberty to ratchet up tariffs?

Secondary school economic...
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by maestroferddi: 11:22pm On Mar 17, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:

Your point exactly?
What a lame question!

So privatisation should entail that off-takers are at liberty to ratchet up tariffs?

Secondary school economics...
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by Tahovic: 12:19am On Mar 18, 2015
is it NEPA or PHCN? this man totally stupid
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by laudate: 1:43am On Mar 18, 2015
Jorussia:
I pity this country, is this not the same Amadi that has been saying all this years that it is only a. continuous upward review of electricity tarriff that can guarantee investment in power.I recall,he even said some time ago that our tariff is on of the cheapest in the world. Petrol was reduced by #10,and for the past two weeks virtually all filling stations in Nigeria is selling for #100 and above,Nigerians should simply do the needful,by punishing GEJ with their PVC come march 28.

Don't mind Amadi. They should just look for someone else that knows the right thing to do, to take over that seat.

NEPA?PHCN was privatised and the first thing the new owners did was to compute crazy bills and pass them on to customers, despite the fact that power supply was on a downward trend. I mean how can you compute a bill of 60,000 naira in one month for a 3-bedroom apartment in Festac town despite the fact that the property in question was not even occupied for more than half of the month?? shocked shocked

Am I running a bakery there or what? This is the same apartment that used to record a monthly bill of =N=7,000 oh, in the days of PHCN. Yet when Eko Disco took over, the bill shot to =N=60k monthly.

Totally unscrupulous people. We have written letters upon letters, yet nothing has been done.

Now Amadi is speaking German that the tarriff has been cut by 50%, as if he does not know that the Discos will still find ways to smuggle illegal, untenable, inexplicable, illogical figures into their monthly bills.

Was it not under Amadi's watch that pre-paid meters of =N=45k suddenly became =N=65k

What has he done about it?

Yeye dey smell!
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by hush15: 2:50am On Mar 18, 2015
Jona, thank you. While some Nigerians may not understand this move which I do and owe nobdy and explanation its a welcomed development.

Atleast, you still listen and make necessary adjustments those who don't care and don't even have a listening ear in the first place.

You have many first to your creditsM God bless you.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by hush15: 3:10am On Mar 18, 2015
laudate:

Don't mind Amadi. They should just look for someone else that knows the right thing to do, to take over that seat.

NEPA?PHCN was privatised and the first thing the new owners did was to compute crazy bills and pass them on to customers, despite the fact that power supply was on a downward trend. I mean how can you compute a bill of 60,000 naira in one month for a 3-bedroom apartment in Festac town despite the fact that the property in question was not even occupied for more than half of the month?? shocked shocked

Am I running a bakery there or what? This is the same apartment that used to record a monthly bill of =N=7,000 oh, in the days of PHCN. Yet when Eko Disco took over, the bill shot to =N=60k monthly.

Totally unscrupulous people. We have written letters upon letters, yet nothing has been done.

Now Amadi is speaking German that the tarriff has been cut by 50%, as if he does not know that the Discos will still find ways to smuggle illegal, untenable, inexplicable, illogical figures into their monthly bills.

Was it not under Amadi's watch that pre-paid meters of =N=45k suddenly became =N=65k

What has he done about it?

Yeye dey smell!

Atleast, democracy is at work. That he could even do it mean any other government who tries rubbish is in for it. Funny enough, I commend him for it cos its an eye opener for us that something feasible if we talk with one voice.

As for the. Price, you can't blame the government for it. I am into oil and gas, basically, I run some fuel station. Our last take from the depot is 87naira plus loading cost and every other expense to get it to our station. Its only natural for us not to sell at 87 but 90 to keep us in business.

One: the depot where we got our last stock from is Folawiyo and he is an APC person. Now, while I am not totally blaming party, but most of this oil marketers are politically inclined and many are of the opposition.

Two: The fact that they trying to use the election to extort monies thru subsidy payment is totally uncalled for. Just recently, he realeased N100billion to oil marketers. Those are the few ransomes that the presidency is being subjected to just to please nigerians, he just had to do something. Initially, they were asking for more than that...

We don't really understand the challenges the president is subjected and the fact that the citizens are compounding instead of showing more confidence in Mr. Present to do his job, yet, we still insult and degrade him.

I am yet to see someone who would give his own tenure a very hard time and claim its someone else. The is no sense in that.

Neway, its well. Thank you my amiable Prediso
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by ndobiekee(m): 4:07am On Mar 18, 2015
[center][/center]GEJ is the best amongst the rest... #mypresident#mygej.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by Ajarney(m): 7:17am On Mar 18, 2015
Funny how we forgot so easily

Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by wise0ne: 10:59am On Mar 18, 2015
However,
GEJ... All The Way
No amount of criticism, Propaganda, False accusation or ethno-geo-political resentment can stop his Good deeds from being seen and felt
Haters can keep hating,
OBJ from the west was president and never did as much as the positive transformation of GEJ, yet He was celebrated, if it was as easy to solve all of nigeria's problem in 5 years, then he would have done or rather, Buhari could have solved half of it in his two years regime where he treated humans like animals.
God Bless Nigeria.
God bless GEJ.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by Eluwilussit(m): 2:29pm On Mar 18, 2015
bakila:

Hmmmm, I will contest against General Buhari the incumbent President in 2019. By then the argument would be he has served Nigeria well, while you and my campaign team will say what you canvassed above. I know what it takes to contest an election having tried one, I know also that some unsolicited promise to support financially are not redeemed. You my friend am sure would not be like some of them.

No worries bro, I am behind you. As long as you will put our national interest above your personal interest, you have got my support. God bless you bro.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by inibro(m): 9:19pm On Mar 18, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:
How true is this? Besides how can Nigerian Government reduce electricity tariff when they told us the electricity company has been privatised?

Although electricity distribution companies have been privatised, the FG (thru NERC) is in charge of stating how much tariff is paid.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by inibro(m): 9:20pm On Mar 18, 2015
Amusaopeyemi:
How true is this? Besides how can Nigerian Government reduce electricity tariff when they told us the electricity company has been privatised?

Although electricity distribution companies have been privatised, the FG (thru NERC) is in charge of stating how much traffic is paid.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by SOUNDKING: 9:27pm On Mar 18, 2015
Thank God o, but the total blackout in lagos is what i dnt understand, yet we go new bill without light, i think it should be investigated cos apc despirados can do any thing to paint Jona's govt black.
Re: Nigerian Government Cuts Electricity Tariff By 50% by laudate: 2:27am On Mar 27, 2015
hush15:

Atleast, democracy is at work. That he could even do it mean any other government who tries rubbish is in for it. Funny enough, I commend him for it cos its an eye opener for us that something feasible if we talk with one voice.

As for the. Price, you can't blame the government for it. I am into oil and gas, basically, I run some fuel station. Our last take from the depot is 87naira plus loading cost and every other expense to get it to our station. Its only natural for us not to sell at 87 but 90 to keep us in business.

One: the depot where we got our last stock from is Folawiyo and he is an APC person. Now, while I am not totally blaming party, but most of this oil marketers are politically inclined and many are of the opposition.

Two: The fact that they trying to use the election to extort monies thru subsidy payment is totally uncalled for. Just recently, he realeased N100billion to oil marketers. Those are the few ransomes that the presidency is being subjected to just to please nigerians, he just had to do something. Initially, they were asking for more than that...

We don't really understand the challenges the president is subjected and the fact that the citizens are compounding instead of showing more confidence in Mr. Present to do his job, yet, we still insult and degrade him.

I am yet to see someone who would give his own tenure a very hard time and claim its someone else. The is no sense in that.

Neway, its well. Thank you my amiable Prediso

Your last statement is so very funny! "Atleast, democracy is at work. That he could even do it mean any other government who tries rubbish is in for it. Funny enough, I commend him for it cos its an eye opener for us that something feasible if we talk with one voice."

Government has been dishing out rubbish for years to its citizens, and nothing has happened! The Discos have been computing crazy, inexplicable figures as electricity bills and dishing them out to customers for ages, and yet nothing has changed despite all their protests. sad

The solution is not to reduce bills by a certain percentage, but to put in place structures and processes to ensure that consumers are NOT charged arbitrarily for power that they do NOT consume!! shocked angry angry

Who can prove that the tarriff would not go back up, after the elections? undecided

You mentioned Folawiyo's depot selling petroleum products at a rate higher than the approved price, which makes it difficult for retailers to sell at government approved prices. Is the DPR dead or blind? Isn't it their job to ensure that products are sold at controlled prices both at the depot and in the filling stations? Why do we always 'politicise' everything instead of calling on relevant agencies to carry out their jobs and sacking those that compromise their duties because of expediency? In another country, the head of DPR would be sacked for failing to ensure that Folawiyo's depot sells fuel at the correct price! shocked

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

IPOB Asaba Gave Nnamdi Kanu A Portrait & Title Of 'OJI IGODO BIAFRA' / Kwankwaso: Peter Obi Could Have Been My Vice President In NNPP / President Buhari Visits Kigali Genocide Memorial In Rwanda (Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.