Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,140,562 members, 7,770,456 topics. Date: Tuesday, 19 March 2024 at 10:50 AM

Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom (9903 Views)

Tension In Ondo APC Over Alleged Plan To Tamper With Primaries Result / Forgery Case: Melaye Alleges Attempts To Tamper With Evidence / Buhari vs AIT: The Shameless Act Against Press Freedom. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by helinues: 4:55am On Mar 18, 2015
The Presidential Candidate of the All Progressives Congress, Gen. Muhammadu Buhari Tuesday said he will not tamper with press freedom if elected as a President on March 28.

He also said a change revolution is imminent in the country without firing a shot.

Buhari, who gave the assurance at an interactive session with members of the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria( NPAN) and the Nigerian Guild of Editors ( NGE) in Abuja restated that he will not engage in a debate with President Goodluck Jonathan.

He said: “I want to give you my full assurances that in this democratic dispensation, I will ensure that the Nigerian constitution is upheld. This includes respect for the media, respect for the right to free expression and freedom of speech. Page 1 of 2 any of you are aware of Decree 4 of 1984, which was heavily criticised.

“I have said elsewhere that I cannot change the past. But I can change the present and the future. Dictatorship goes with military rule as do edicts such as Decree 4.

“However, I am a former–former, note the emphasis on the word ‘former’–military ruler and now a converted democrat, who is ready to operate under democratic norms.

“I am not only subjecting myself to the rigours of democratic elections for the fourth time, but even after being elected, I will continue to promote the consolidation of democracy in our great country, Nigeria, by guaranteeing that the media’s freedom is not compromised in any way.

“I give you my full assurances that the Nigerian media will be free under our APC government.”

He urged media owners and Editors to shun hate reports and slanderous political rhetorics.

He said: “I also want to use this opportunity to appeal to you to use your media outlets in shaping positive public discourse and eschew hate speech mongering and slanderous political rhetorics which heat up the polity for the sake of peace and stability of our dear nation.

“There are two specific reasons why I have invited you here today. The first is to use the opportunity to say a special thank you to the Nigerian media for the role you have played in advancing our country’s democracy thus far, and especially for being a platform through which Nigerians’ cry for change was articulated all around the world.

“On newspaper pages, TV screens and radio waves, the alarming depth of corruption and impunity in our country, the terrifying level of insecurity, and the grim state of our economy were kept constantly before the world’s eyes, making it impossible for the current government to doctor the truth, despite their meanest efforts.

“I urge you not to relent in your role as watchdogs, to continue to be the voice of the people. The health of Nigeria’s democracy rests partly on you. Without a robust and thriving media, the masses would have no voice.

“The electorate would also not have sufficient information to make sound decisions, such as deciding to vote out a clueless government and vote in CHANGE.”

Buhari restated that change revolution is imminent in the country without firing a shot.

He added: “Our country is on the verge of something new. The tide has turned and the world can sense the wave of change that is about to flood this nation. In less than two weeks, the Nigerian electorate will head to the polls to make their voices heard. “Through the ballot, without a single shot fired, a change revolution will likely take place.”

After his speech, Buhari responded to questions from some publishers and editors at the session.
But it was not without drama when the President of NPAN, Prince Nduka Obaigbena, asked Buhari if he was ready to apologize to two journalists who were jailed in 1984 under Decree 4.

Immediately after Obaigbena asked the question, the Director-General of APC Presidential Campaign Organization, Governor Rotimi Amaechi said: “Gen. Buhari had already answered that question by saying he cannot change the past but he can change present and the future.”

Those at the session were the President of NPAN, Prince Nduka Obaigbena; Deputy President of NPAN, Mallam Kabiru Yusuf, the Publisher of Vanguard Press Limited, Sir, Sam Amuka Pemu, a former President of NPAN, Ray Ekpu; the Publisher of Leadership Newspaper, Sam Nda Isaiah, the representative of THE Guardian Publisher, Toke Ibru, the Managing Director/ Editor-In-Chief of Champion Newspaper, Mrs. Nwadiuto Iheakanwa; the Publisher of Peoples Daily, Mallam Wada Maida; the Publisher of Blueprint Newspaper, Alh. Idris Mohammed; a former President of the Nigerian Guild of Editors, Gbenga Adefaye; the Managing Director/ Editor-In- Chief of New Telegraph, Mr. Eric Osagie; the Chairman of Liberty Radio, Tijjani Ramalan; the Chairman of Silverbird Television, Ben Murray Bruce; and the representative of the publisher of THE NATION, Yusuf Alli among others.
http://thenationonlineng.net/new/buhari-i-wont-tamper-with-press-freedom/

2 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by TI1919(m): 5:43am On Mar 18, 2015
Trash dreamer

33 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by centmichael101(m): 5:50am On Mar 18, 2015
That becos u will never rule nigeria again!!

38 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by okosodo: 5:56am On Mar 18, 2015
he knows he's lying

31 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by psucc(m): 6:01am On Mar 18, 2015
But will you still hold on when taunted the way GEJ is taunted or even pelted?

A sure the old you will stir in you and just for once you may act absurdly not remembering or minding the Constitution.

Just go back to the incubator and there be groomed till 2019 when GEJ had complete his 2nd term, if you still maintain the same promises as done now we will know you are for real.

By for now NO VACANCY IN ASO ROCK.

32 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by clevvermind(m): 6:25am On Mar 18, 2015
Buhari is a big liar. Is he telling us that he would not jail ait staff or close down the station?

38 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by TI1919(m): 6:35am On Mar 18, 2015
Cry me a river, the God of the innocent soul killed by your supporters will bring justice you will cry again

35 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by dave2meek(m): 6:38am On Mar 18, 2015
We don't need you

26 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Obinoscopy(m): 7:16am On Mar 18, 2015
That's great. The freedom of the press was one of my concerns if Buhari wins. I'm happy he has promised to guarantee freedom of the press.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by ibkgab001: 7:20am On Mar 18, 2015
OKKKKKK I Believe Pa Buhari but will never trust all crooks around him with that statement anyway wishing him good luck.

No more KIRIKIRI

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by frodobee: 7:20am On Mar 18, 2015
Chaii #BuhariJoker

13 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by adekennis(m): 7:20am On Mar 18, 2015
Seun i hope you are now happy with this news cool cool cool

He has assured us of freedom of speech so no need to panic,we could always lambast him if he messes up the same way GEJ did cool

6 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by lordsharks(m): 7:21am On Mar 18, 2015
Great move

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by PAnaceA7(m): 7:21am On Mar 18, 2015
iffa hear....... Politicians can say anything just to gain power.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by EverestdeBliu(m): 7:21am On Mar 18, 2015
Can this man stand half the insult n abuses that President Jonathan has been bashed with?

23 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by phlio(m): 7:21am On Mar 18, 2015
that is the president speaking

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Nobody: 7:21am On Mar 18, 2015
president!
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by lordsharks(m): 7:21am On Mar 18, 2015
PAnaceA7:
iffa hear....... Politicians can say anything just to gain power.
Thats it o

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by eleojo23: 7:22am On Mar 18, 2015
But earlier on, he was annoyed by what he perceived as insults by the press and the social media.

I doubt he will keep to his word. I don't think he can bear all the insults and criticisms that come with democracy.
GEJ has really tried in this regard. He allows even foolish opinions to be aired.
Can the General hold his temper without pulling the trigger?

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Tobilastik(m): 7:22am On Mar 18, 2015
shoro niyen?
Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Nobody: 7:22am On Mar 18, 2015
Oh so u work in AIT..common sense would tell u to look for a new job b4 the elections are held....
clevvermind:
Buhari is a big liar. Is he telling us that he would not jail ait staff or close down the station?

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by dunkem21(m): 7:22am On Mar 18, 2015
We will judge by your 1984 antecedents. grin

..and Nduka asked "Baba, are you ready to apologize to journalists jailed in 1984"?.. cheesy and he stammered

We ain't fools, Rotimi grin ..neither are the journalists!

They demanded an apology for the wrongs of your administration by gagging and jailing journalists; but your proud DG spokesperson waved them off with an attitude.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by wildchild1: 7:22am On Mar 18, 2015
Buhari man of his words since 667AD grin
In Buhari we trust
#iHaveDecided
#ToVoteChange
#GMB/PYO2015
Sai Baba
Sai Buhari
APC...CHANGE!!!

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Rawani: 7:22am On Mar 18, 2015
This is reassuring. We cannot continue with the impunity that characterizes the PDP administration where the press is not just gagged, but threatened and intimidated for an innocent picture questioning the unhealthy power distance between a constitutionally appointed commissioner in Akwa Ibom State, and a woman occupying an unconstitutional office of the first lady.

What excuse can anyone give for a Police commissioner that tells a journalist "I cannot protect you" just because he posted an photo criticising the PDP administration in the state? Why should journalistic freedom be sacrificed on the altar of unprofessional partisanship?

We want change.

5 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by DeCritique(m): 7:22am On Mar 18, 2015
Na so dem dey talk. I don't think this man can whit stand all the insults and bashing Goodluck has received since he climbed that seat.

Him saying he won't ban the press or oppress them is a goose Pandora. The TV stations that aired defamatory documentaries about him should prepare for the worst...

But on a second thought, he won't win so they needn't fear him.

GEJ till 2019 jare

15 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Sweetguy25: 7:23am On Mar 18, 2015
Lie

4 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Zico5(m): 7:23am On Mar 18, 2015
A man of his own word, carry on jare we dey ur back. Anyone that think GEJ mean well for Nigeria is living in hallucination. Whatever the man touch becomes bad. That is why those also working along with him cannot make any headway. When last have u heard of minister for works. We seriously need change.

3 Likes

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by menesheh(m): 7:23am On Mar 18, 2015
story story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jFhDzZQ7N4

What if the stories publish in the media are true?

see the silly answer by the president to be in sambisa gave for detering media freedom.

in the case of him steering the affairs of this multi ethnic country of ours, then haters beam the level of criticism against him just like GEJ of today, i wonder what will become of him.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by STARSHYNE(f): 7:23am On Mar 18, 2015
Sai Buhari grin

1 Like

Re: Buhari: I Won’t Tamper With Press Freedom by Flets: 7:24am On Mar 18, 2015
Who believes this violent old terrorist?
He is disowning his person......
He is claiming to have changed.....

Where and how did he change? Did he change in his sitting room? What are the pointers to his new personality?

There is no change for a man who clearly truncated democracy, jailed non-hausas and dealt with media houses

He has not come out to at least apologise
He is even said in an interview that he has no regrets for his past

Where is the change?
Just recently he threatened taking AIT to court for airing a documetary on him. What if he was GEJ that has been called all sorts of names in the past 5years... He would have taken every media house to abyss.

Buhari remains a traitor unchanged.

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

We’ll Win Ekiti Governorship — SDP / Controversy Over N4.6bn Payments Due To IPPIS – Fashola / Lai Mohammed’s Faction Kicks As Abdulrazaq Begins Re-Election Bid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.