Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,618 members, 7,809,266 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:01 AM

Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? (2498 Views)

Numbers Of Federal Workers By State Of Origin-- Bureau Of Public Service / The Acts Of King Mumu Son Of Hari Chapter 1:1-24 (Readers Discretion Is Advised) / Nigerians Voted Change, Not Acts Of Masturbation, Iwuanyanwu Tells Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Medley(m): 4:11pm On Mar 18, 2015
Public speaking can be used for almost anything. Most great speakers have a natural ability to display the skills and effectiveness that can help to engage and move an audience for whatever purpose.

The speeches of politicians are often widely analyzed by both their supporters and detractors.

on this thread,we will consider the following criteria to adjudge between GEJ & GMB,who stands out & rate them in percentage,according to the following criteria

1. Use of language & rhetorics
2. Ability to transmit information
3. Effectual message communication.
4. Motivate audience
5. Ability to keep audience interested.
6. Ability to change the emotion of their listeners
7. Infuence on audience
8. Audience response
9. Body language
10. Engage audience

I trust us to quickly asserts that public speaking is not what determines good governance and performance,that's not the case,we know that. We should also note that in saner climes and other developed nations,you don't stand a chance of winning any political position if you can't speak and motivate your audience.

In my own opinion,if i am to rate GMB and GEJ,it will be 52% and 59% respectively.

GMB: most of the time when reading from paper, takes too much time with his face affixed to the paper instead of the audience,and the way he reads out is always hard to follow through,people in rendering a clap to a point by him,do so intermittiently as if they are hearing him from differrent rooms.

GEJ: also affixes his face to his material,but a little better when compared with GMB, but when he is to speak without a written material,finds it difficult to produce coherent statement overtime and lots of hmmms at each juncture.

thats my opinion, it's from my angle,and I did not judge base on accents,because accents does not deter good public speaking.

What's your rating(in percentage) and what's your reason(s)?

I know we don't have the obamas here,but soon we need to make our leaders go through trainings on the ACTs,we don't have the likes of donald duke in our politicians of now,but this attribute should be demanded from our leaders
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by GboyegaD(m): 4:12pm On Mar 18, 2015
GMB is a million and one time better.

7 Likes

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by TS2(m): 4:13pm On Mar 18, 2015
Its definitely Buhari. The only thing that works against him is the thick accent he has. But besides that...

4 Likes

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by centmichael101(m): 4:27pm On Mar 18, 2015
I stand for jonathan,,

4 Likes

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Adetula1(m): 4:39pm On Mar 18, 2015
GboyegaD:
i doubt if you understand the question,so read again
back to the topic...its simply GEJ

2 Likes

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Olaolufred(m): 4:40pm On Mar 18, 2015
BUHARI.

4 Likes

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by GboyegaD(m): 5:09pm On Mar 18, 2015
Adetula1:

I have said mine and it is your cross to either accept it or otherwise. I am sure you are one of those who has chosen never to be objective or who thinks educational qualification is what makes one stand out in the crowd.

5 Likes

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Medley(m): 5:32pm On Mar 18, 2015
TS2:
Its definitely Buhari. The only thing that works against him is the thick accent he has. But besides that...
though our opinions are subjective, i would want to know your reasons
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by TS2(m): 11:51am On Mar 19, 2015
Medley:
though our opinions are subjective, i would want to know your reasons

Jonathan's speeches do not move you or command your attention. If it does it's for ythe wrong reasons...either pity, or for mockery or for laughter or boredom. Buhari commands everybody's attention that's why the accent will annoy you because you're really interested in what he has to say.

8 Likes

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Medley(m): 12:18pm On Mar 19, 2015
TS2:

Jonathan's speeches do not move you or command your attention. If it does it's for ythe wrong reasons...either pity, or for mockery or for laughter or boredom. Buhari commands everybody's attention that's why the accent will annoy you because you're really interested in what he has to say.
okay, though i have a way of understanding him even with is accents
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by sinkhole: 12:28pm On Mar 19, 2015
I think I have to give it to GMB! Whenever GEJ speaks, u just have to wonder if somebody is somewhere telling him what to and not to say, he never look composed always looking shaky as if he is afraid of something or somebody.
Whenever GMB speaks, he speaks so confidently, he does not rush to answer questions but whenever he answers it is always with absolute confidence!
Talking about there accent, I thnk I prefer GMB's! GEJ's accent s so thick that BBC had to transcribe his words on the screen grin If GEJ pronounces "the", it will be "di", just like a typical Yoruba person will do (I am a Yoruba person grin ), but GMB will pronouce it as "ze" and this is closer to the real pronounciation.

7 Likes

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Medley(m): 11:30pm On Mar 19, 2015
sinkhole:
I think I have to give it to GMB! Whenever GEJ speaks, u just have to wonder if somebody is somewhere telling him what to and not to say, he never look composed always looking shaky as if he is afraid of something or somebody.
Whenever GMB speaks, he speaks so confidently, he does not rush to answer questions but whenever he answers it is always with absolute confidence!
Talking about there accent, I thnk I prefer GMB's! GEJ's accent s so thick that BBC had to transcribe his words on the screen grin If GEJ pronounces "the", it will be "di", just like a typical Yoruba person will do (I am a Yoruba person grin ), but GMB will pronouce it as "ze" and this is closer to the real pronounciation.

Have you really seen GMB answer a direct question thrown at him?
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Nobody: 11:36pm On Mar 19, 2015
As a Military officer the art of speaking to people is a major part of the training. Ability to Ginger
Basically the Reason Why GMB has the skill 2 Ginger his audience when speaking

2 Likes

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Medley(m): 11:42pm On Mar 19, 2015
IbnSultaan:
As a Military officer the art of speaking to people is a major part of the training. Ability to Ginger

This time around he will be speaking to civilians and people of different background and ideologies and not military men and woman if elected,is he going to apply same ginger method?
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Brightology2(m): 11:46pm On Mar 19, 2015
Even d dead kns d mallam gmb as d answer

2 Likes

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by egift(m): 11:49pm On Mar 19, 2015
Buhari is a man of action and even his enemies panic before he even step out. Even his opponents will tell you - Buhari over does it.

1 Like

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by osram(m): 7:26am On Mar 20, 2015
IbnSultaan:
ibn sultan kaji abin da sulieman abba ya fada ko wai ranan zabe in mutum ya kasa ya wuce gida kawai......mu baza mu yarda ba,zamu kasa mu tsare mu raka duk wanda ya taba mu kuma zamu halaka shege walahiiiii,haka ma duk wani dan kudu da inyamirai duk sai mun yanka su walahiiiiiiiii........allah ya kai mu ranar zabe
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 7:51am On Mar 20, 2015
I dnt know what is you guys consider the criteria for oratory but its 70-30 favoring GEj for me. Do u know a good orator must be able to prounce well. The flux(flow) continuty of words must be steady. GMB has none. He is defintely a good orator in hausa.
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by stronger: 8:43am On Mar 20, 2015
Medley:

Good thread @ Medley

I'm pro-GMB and I'll try to be objective

Based on their pre-written speeches, I'll give this to GMB by far! Did you read/listen to the Chatham house speech? Wow! But of course it's hard to give either of them credit for pre-written speeches because you don't know who wrote them (likely professional speech writers).
In terms of unrehearsed speeches, I'll say a draw. Either of them are not fantastic.

Roughly same as 1.

I'll give this to GMB. GEJ tends to RAMBLE a lot goodness! That's why if you follow their campaign rallies, GEJ keeps talking about Buhari, goat and yams, stealing/corruption etc. Not EFFECTIVE. Buhari tends to go straight to the point with short answers (which sometimes leave you wanting more though)

4. Motivate audience
This should probably to GEJ because he is more engaging and if the QUALITY of their messages were equal, then he would be better at motivating an audience.

I'll give this to GEJ in terms of the fact that he uses analogies (goat and yam) and pronunciations (nyung) etc that will make you laugh. But he is generally more engaging. GMB can be very stiff and it's thus easy to lose interest.

Same as 4 roughly

9. Body language
Here it's a tie. GEJ can look quite CLUELESS trust me. When he talks sometimes, it's like he is been forced or he is afraid of something or needs to pee. He has improved over the years though. GMB's body language is not fantastic most times. Sometimes he seems angry, almost condescending lol.

Overall, they are both horrible public speakers.

GMB: 46%
GEJ: 45%

Obama: 200% grin

1 Like

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by SLIDEwaxie(m): 8:49am On Mar 20, 2015
Adetula1:

he did, and he has given his opinion. If e no do u, run into a moving trailer
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by OrlandoOwoh(m): 9:10am On Mar 20, 2015
Jonathan is nowhere close to Buhari.
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by calmbabadee(m): 9:52am On Mar 20, 2015
EVEN THE LOSING CONTESTANT HAS LAID DOWN THE SWORD.

SAI BUHARI!!
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Nobody: 9:55am On Mar 20, 2015
Good speaker or not,
Sai Buhari!
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Nobody: 10:19am On Mar 20, 2015
osram:
ibn sultan kaji abin da sulieman abba ya fada ko wai ranan zabe in mutum ya kasa ya wuce gida kawai......mu baza mu yarda ba,zamu kasa mu tsare mu raka duk wanda ya taba mu kuma zamu halaka shege walahiiiii,haka ma duk wani dan kudu da inyamirai duk sai mun yanka su walahiiiiiiiii........allah ya kai mu ranar zabe
ahankali brother banda pata. Its doesn't pay. . Zamuci zape da yardan Allah
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by hopilo: 10:31am On Mar 20, 2015
GboyegaD:
I see why some people fail exams. GEJ all the way.
85% GEJ, 15% GMB

1 Like

Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Medley(m): 10:50am On Mar 20, 2015
stronger:

Good thread @ Medley

I'm pro-GMB and I'll try to be objective

Based on their pre-written speeches, I'll give this to GMB by far! Did you read/listen to the Chatham house speech? Wow! But of course it's hard to give either of them credit for pre-written speeches because you don't know who wrote them (likely professional speech writers).
In terms of unrehearsed speeches, I'll say a draw. Either of them are not fantastic.

Roughly same as 1.

I'll give this to GMB. GEJ tends to RAMBLE a lot goodness! That's why if you follow their campaign rallies, GEJ keeps talking about Buhari, goat and yams, stealing/corruption etc. Not EFFECTIVE. Buhari tends to go straight to the point with short answers (which sometimes leave you wanting more though)

4. Motivate audience
This should probably to GEJ because he is more engaging and if the QUALITY of their messages were equal, then he would be better at motivating an audience.

I'll give this to GEJ in terms of the fact that he uses analogies (goat and yam) and pronunciations (nyung) etc that will make you laugh. But he is generally more engaging. GMB can be very stiff and it's thus easy to lose interest.

Same as 4 roughly

9. Body language
Here it's a tie. GEJ can look quite CLUELESS trust me. When he talks sometimes, it's like he is been forced or he is afraid of something or needs to pee. He has improved over the years though. GMB's body language is not fantastic most times. Sometimes he seems angry, almost condescending lol.

Overall, they are both horrible public speakers.

GMB: 46%
GEJ: 45%

Obama: 200% grin

very interesting and elaborate analysis.
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Medley(m): 11:08am On Mar 20, 2015
hopilo:

I see why some people fail exams. GEJ all the way.
85% GEJ, 15% GMB

though i think GEJ is better,but 85% is way too much,could you be sincere?
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Medley(m): 7:57am On Mar 21, 2015
JustCalMeDBoss:
I dnt know what is you guys consider the criteria for oratory but its 70-30 favoring GEj for me. Do u know a good orator must be able to prounce well. The flux(flow) continuty of words must be steady. GMB has none. He is defintely a good orator in hausa.

are you implying that you can't be considered an eloquent speaker if u're not fluent in english
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by JustCalMeDBoss(m): 9:06am On Mar 21, 2015
Medley:

are you implying that you can't be considered an eloquent speaker if u're not fluent in english

If u look at the last sentence I wrote I said he is a good orator in hausa not just english and englich is our linguar franca.
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by pheliciti: 9:35am On Mar 21, 2015
IMO, GMB speaks better. He takes his time, he's contemplative and confident. The logic is usually clear when he speaks. He is however not a good debater because he takes his time before he speaks and thus would likely not fully pass his points across if time limits are imposed. I don't see the accent as a major problem and on this I compare his accent to that of Sir Alex Ferguson who despite his thick Scottish accent is still classified as an orator.
GEJ on the other hand speaks with a bit more clarity but the intellectual content is often missing and his use of analogies is almost always pedestrian. You can hardly get any substance in his thoughts except the scripted part, in which case delivery is flawed by GEJ's poor grasp of the subject. The biggest distraction to listening to GEJ is the ever constant drawl which I suspect leads to the probably wrong allegations of being drunk.
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by abduljabbar4(m): 10:24am On Mar 21, 2015
osram:
Asha! Wannan ai bai dace ba. Dama dai inyamirai kawai kace. Sune shegun
Re: Considering The Acts Of Public Speaking; Between GMB & GEJ Who Is Better? by Medley(m): 7:33am On Mar 22, 2015
abduljabbar4:

Asha! Wannan ai bai dace ba. Dama dai inyamirai kawai kace. Sune shegun

I think it's not right that you are speaking a language only your tribe can understand

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bukola Saraki Is Just Like His Father...a Thief / We Want Freedom For The Indigenous People Of Lagos State, Tunde Bakare / Text Of Igbinedion's Reply To Oshomhole $31m Allegation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.