Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,758 members, 7,824,181 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:11 AM

What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars (103752 Views)

Is Driving Automatic Cars With Both Feet Bad? / List Out Functions You'll Want New Cars To Have. / Disadvantages Of Automatic Trasnmision Cars (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Nobody: 1:32pm On Jun 10, 2017
It's simply for driving ur car manually.....forget those big big English when them dey speak for u

2 Likes

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by mfm04622: 1:57pm On Jun 10, 2017
figure007:
ahh see you.. .am sorry to say this maybe your car is not that big I hope you understand me sir no offence.. .if you have a pouch car no matter your papers some police WI tell you point blank *bros settle us**e Don happen well.. .forget particulars Bros

If Police ask for my papers, no settlement ooo. If you stop me ask for something, if I get, I give, if not, I tell you sorry. You can't force me

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by charlesnazy(m): 2:11pm On Jun 10, 2017
do you mean shift or drift
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by chikaflora: 2:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
Is that 1k I'm seeing,are the police on strike at your end? Ok o!
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Adesolomon2014(m): 3:25pm On Jun 10, 2017
In lay's man explanation, the D with the highest number determines how fast ur car pickups/speeds.
Try speeding with each D's a different intervals and see how fast/responsive ur car will go.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by godslove2016: 4:30pm On Jun 10, 2017
I tried d New tips on my 2003 Camry and it works.. Something's you can't clearly understand on a Car manual.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by akanbiaa(m): 5:02pm On Jun 10, 2017

Lol grin

Thanks Boss, I didn't notice it in time.

But me no dey give any Policemen any kobo. I'm not owing them anything cos all my papers are in order! wink
What of the receipt for the 1000 naira note and paper of aiuthorization to keep within gear compartment don't you know it can cause distraction and hereby lead to accident so you will be fined and you are guilty as charged grin

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by crowntech: 5:15pm On Jun 10, 2017
emekan:
Hello guys. Will make this short. Kinda busy at the moment. The D1, D2 and D3 inscriptions on your gear lever mean that you can engage any one of these three (4 forward gears inclusive of D). The function of this is to enable traction at low speeds. In sandy or very muddy areas, engaging any of the D1, D2 or D3 will restrict the gear from exceeding the respective gearing. Take for instance you select D1, no matter how hard you rev your car engine, your vehicle will never exceed gear 1. This ensures low end traction for sandy terrain or when low end power is needed for towing. If on the othe hand, you select D2, the gear will never exceed second gear no matter how hard you rev the engine. Same applies to D3. If however, D is selected, it allows the gear choose between the 5 available forward gears depending on how hard you rev and the road inclination and conditions. The ECU considers many factors simultaneously and decides the best gear in this case to choose in order to deliver best fuel economy under the prevailing circumstances. Hope this helps. Cheers.

you try Bros!
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Alanguru: 5:54pm On Jun 10, 2017
Short ko? Nice one though
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by nkowaputa(m): 6:38pm On Jun 10, 2017
Hi guys,

I was involved in an argument with friends yesterday, over the use of the Driving gears of an automatic gearing car.

Different car products have different automatic gearing system. Mine is a Honda Accord 2006 (Discussion continues) model,and the gear system is pictured below.

It has a 'P-park', 'R-reverse', 'N-neutral' 'D-drive' 'D3', 'D2' and 'D1' gears.

The argument relates to the functions of the 'D', 'D3', 'D2', and 'D1' driving gears respectively, and under what circumstances should each one be used?.

So tech guys in the house, it's time to show off your knowledge.

Merci!!!

I use d2 and D3 to beat a driver moving at same speed with me.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by obstead200(m): 9:47pm On Jun 10, 2017
emekan:
Hello guys. Will make this short. Kinda busy at the moment. The D1, D2 and D3 inscriptions on your gear lever mean that you can engage any one of these three (4 forward gears inclusive of D). The function of this is to enable traction at low speeds. In sandy or very muddy areas, engaging any of the D1, D2 or D3 will restrict the gear from exceeding the respective gearing. Take for instance you select D1, no matter how hard you rev your car engine, your vehicle will never exceed gear 1. This ensures low end traction for sandy terrain or when low end power is needed for towing. If on the othe hand, you select D2, the gear will never exceed second gear no matter how hard you rev the engine. Same applies to D3. If however, D is selected, it allows the gear choose between the 5 available forward gears depending on how hard you rev and the road inclination and conditions. The ECU considers many factors simultaneously and decides the best gear in this case to choose in order to deliver best fuel economy under the prevailing circumstances. Hope this helps. Cheers.
very educative.
I have finally learnt something that have puzzled me all life long
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by bencarson007(m): 9:35am On Jun 11, 2017
emekan:
. @Emekan, you are learned and smart... Ur explanation just redefined my driving experience... We really learn everyday. I applied ur explanation on my 2003 highlander and the transmission is seamless from L to D2 to D... You soft my brother... More wisdom to you.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by bencarson007(m): 9:39am On Jun 11, 2017
Hi guys,

I was involved in an argument with friends yesterday, over the use of the Driving gears of an automatic gearing car.

Different car products have different automatic gearing system. Mine is a Honda Accord 2006 (Discussion continues) model,and the gear system is pictured below.

It has a 'P-park', 'R-reverse', 'N-neutral' 'D-drive' 'D3', 'D2' and 'D1' gears.

The argument relates to the functions of the 'D', 'D3', 'D2', and 'D1' driving gears respectively, and under what circumstances should each one be used?.

Merci!!!

. @Nobody, ur question is very welcomed and reasonable... You have no idea of how many people benefitted... I did o... Now I can whoop anybody's butt on the road... Sweet seamless transmission... Thanks bros
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by ebiem(m): 9:41pm On Jun 11, 2017
Hi guys,

Merci!!!

They represent different gear ratios which controls the speed, torque and traction of the vehicle. They give limits to regulate those performances mentioned.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by seangy4konji: 10:59pm On Jun 12, 2017
People that will buy new transmissions jyst went up 700 percent. I don't know which mud you are diving through or hill u are descending that you can't just use d or overtake by pressing hard on accelerator to change geRs.

1 Like

Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by 44chux(m): 12:06am On Jun 13, 2017
chineduemmao:
busybody! nairaland no be quora, you know how many times wey i don ask question and nobody cares to answer?
Likely your questions are asked either on the wrong thread or at the appropriate thread (at the wrong time) after it has gone cold.

Most folks are eager to provide an answer even if it's the wrong answer.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by 44chux(m): 12:13am On Jun 13, 2017
kuuljay:
grin bross give us details so na so mosquito for just delete you,loool
Which detail you want know make I turn am to movie script LOL. Most important detail is that I lived to tell it.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by chineduemmao: 2:12pm On Jun 13, 2017
44chux:

Likely your questions are asked either on the wrong thread or at the appropriate thread (at the wrong time) after it has gone cold.

Most folks are eager to provide an answer even if it's the wrong answer.
i agree on the last one "wrong answer" but am not interested in asking anymore questions on NL Quora.com is the best
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Nobody: 11:49pm On Sep 14, 2020
vanndubi:

U asked about circumstances u can use them.

For D1, when u're stucked in sand or mud and u need to maintain gear 1 power to get ur car out.
For D2, when u're ascending a hilly road and ur engine is loosing power. To gain instant engine power, u need drop to D2( just like in manual trans)
For D3 (if a car does not have it, OD button does the function), when u're trying to overtake in low rev say 2500 rpm and need to rev up to say 5500 rpm to gain more engine power to overtake successfully.
OD button means?
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Timothyoj(m): 3:55am On Sep 15, 2020
emekan:

Nice one Baba, you are doing well..
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by vanndubi: 11:53am On Sep 23, 2020
Naijaaaaa:
OD button means?

OD - Overdrive. It overrides the automatic gear system so as not to shift to higher gear.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Vbabs(m): 7:49pm On Oct 05, 2020
- If you have never driven manual transmission, pls stick to using D when you drive.

You need proper understanding of manual gear selection with application of rpm needle along with the sound of the engine to drive an automatic car manually.

D1,D2...all the way to D or the + and - option are all choice to drive your automatic transmission manually.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Vbabs(m): 7:54pm On Oct 05, 2020
OD button means?

Sir, if your gear system as well as TPS are functioning properly, hard press on your throttle pedal should initiate a kickdown and rev up your engine. You don't have to shift your gear stick.
Re: What Are The Functions Of The 'd', 'd3', 'd2' And 'd1' Of Automatic Cars by Vbabs(m): 7:56pm On Oct 05, 2020
vanndubi:

U asked about circumstances u can use them.

For D1, when u're stucked in sand or mud and u need to maintain gear 1 power to get ur car out.
For D2, when u're ascending a hilly road and ur engine is loosing power. To gain instant engine power, u need drop to D2( just like in manual trans)
For D3 (if a car does not have it, OD button does the function), when u're trying to overtake in low rev say 2500 rpm and need to rev up to say 5500 rpm to gain more engine power to overtake successfully.

Sir, if your gear system as well as TPS are functioning properly, hard press on your throttle pedal should initiate a kickdown and rev up your engine. You don't have to shift your gear stick

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Lady Drove This Killer Machine Today And Got Everyone Talking (Pic) / Ferrari F50 Abandoned In Ibadan (Pictures) / I Parked My Car, Went Into The Bank And This Happened

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.