Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,512 members, 7,819,854 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:29 AM

Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon (972 Views)

Biafra: The Memo Of Oba Akenzua On Aburi- Eric Teniola / Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi ---gowon / Gowon: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by fkaz(m): 7:32am On Mar 21, 2015
Former military ruler Gen. Yakubu Gowon yesterday
accused the late Biafran leader, Dim Chukwuemeka
Odumegwu Ojukwu, of misrepresenting the Aburi
Accord to Nigerians.

Speaking yesterday at the launch of a four-part
biography on President Goodluck Jonathan, Gowon
said he had to correct an impression created in the
book by the author, Charles Imokhai, a reverend
father.

Gowon said Ojukwu’s statement on the Aburi Accord
was contrary to what was discussed.
He said: “I have seen that you (Imokhai) have gone
back in history in your research when Ojukwu and
myself had the Aburi Accord.

“I was fascinated by that because I can assure you
that that meeting was to break the ice and for all of
us, the military leaders at the time, be allowed to be
able to agree to be discussing our problems in
Nigeria and to solve them.

“What happened to us at Aburi was that I couldn’t
make it down (to Nigeria) because I was
unfortunately down with a fever. “Ojukwu got back
(before me) and made a statement and that wasn’t
what we discussed and that was the beginning of the
misunderstanding. “Since you presented that we had
a meeting, I thought I should make that comment
and to correct that.”

The accord was reached at a meeting held between
January 4-5, 1967, in Aburi, a Ghanaian town,
between delegates of the federal military
government and the now defunct eastern region as
part of efforts to prevent the looming civil war in the
aftermath of the 1966 military coups.

Gowon was the civil war time leader of Nigeria and
prevented the secession bid of the then Eastern
region from the federation between 1967 and 1970.
Ojukwu as governor of the eastern region led the
succession bid.

He had returned from Aburi announcing that it had
been agreed that the country should adopt
confederalism — a political system in which every
region would essentially be a country on its own with
only a symbolic national government.

Nigeria eventually went to war in May of that year
after different interpretations of the Aburi Accord and
failed peace moves

http://leadership.ng/news/419066/ojukwu-misinformed-nigerians-on-aburi-gowon
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by Toosure70: 7:39am On Mar 21, 2015
Igbo can lie. Igbo (tribe) Igbo (weeds), all Na the same jare

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by absoluteSuccess: 7:49am On Mar 21, 2015
The dead don't argue with the living.
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by Nobody: 7:50am On Mar 21, 2015
Let's go back to Aburi

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by VickJames(m): 8:09am On Mar 21, 2015
After 40years?
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by Caseless: 8:19am On Mar 21, 2015
As a people, Ojukwu caused us pain at some point in our history , but I think he should be forgiven and allowed to rest in peace since he's dead.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by gleaf: 8:24am On Mar 21, 2015
Gowon, I have enormous respect for you cos of the way and manner you have been carrying and projecting a peaceful image, but you don't have to accuse anybody at this point, why do you have to wait now to say such, pls sir respect the dead .
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by Nobody: 8:24am On Mar 21, 2015
Mtcheew!!
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by Nobody: 8:38am On Mar 21, 2015
So OJukwu lied.

grin
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by naijaseeker: 3:44am On Feb 19, 2020
Caseless:
As a people, Ojukwu caused us pain at some point in our history , but I think he should be forgiven and allowed to rest in peace since he's dead.

What deep level of darkness and wickedness in your soul. Demons that murdered innocent foetus did not curse you pain, Gowon that reneged on an agreement and is lying against the dead did not cause you ain, you are shit.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by jamjo: 3:57am On Feb 19, 2020
Toosure70:
Igbo can lie. Igbo (tribe) Igbo (weeds), all Na the same jare

Aburi Accord was recorded and was not just between OJukwu and Gowon in the room Gowon is the person lying about what happened in Aburi.

3 Likes

Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by allthingsgood: 4:17am On Feb 19, 2020
gleaf:
Gowon, I have enormous respect for you cos of the way and manner you have been carrying and projecting a peaceful image, but you don't have to accuse anybody at this point, why do you have to wait now to say such, pls sir respect the dead .

This was reaction to a book launch. So when else would he have reacted
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by allthingsgood: 4:18am On Feb 19, 2020
Just the way ojukwu deceived them is the same way kanu is leading them once more to slaughter. Igbo no de learn lubbish

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by tricksters: 4:21am On Feb 19, 2020
So cursed n foolish Ojukwu didn't go against the consistitution that bind the control together by declaring war ba or that should be overlooked because only cursed foolish n bigoted Igbos own the monopoly to renegage on binding agreements.

naijaseeker:

What deep level of darkness and wickedness in your soul. Demons that murdered innocent foetus did not curse you pain, Gowon that reneged on an agreement and is lying against the dead did not cause you ain, you are shit.

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by EagleNest(m): 6:15am On Feb 19, 2020
Can we move forward please. Dwelling too much in the past is not good. Let the living, having learnt from history, pull Nigeria through from sink hole.
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by wirinet(m): 6:46am On Feb 19, 2020
jerseyboy:
Let's go back to Aburi

You mean we should give all executive powers back to military officers and decentralise the military command structure?
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by celeiyke: 6:58am On Feb 19, 2020
He waited till after Ojukwu's death to spew this rubbish
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by femolii: 7:21am On Feb 19, 2020
gleaf:
But ipob are still blaming
awo,
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by ejanla077: 7:24am On Feb 19, 2020
Stupid gowon
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by manuelreports: 7:31am On Feb 19, 2020
Gowon is mad Why not spew this trash when Ojukwu was alive

1 Like

Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by Nobody: 8:02am On Feb 19, 2020
gleaf:
if you were attentive you would see he only popped this up to address the author who made a mistake on his publication.

It wasn't like he was in a beer parlor
Re: Ojukwu Misinformed Nigerians On Aburi – Gowon by Nobody: 8:07am On Feb 19, 2020
manuelreports:
Gowon is mad
Why not spew this trash when Ojukwu was alive
lol, maybe he was scared of ojukwu that died as a failed Nigerian politician

(1) (Reply)

GEJ Vs Tinubu - Lesson For Students Of Political Science / Photo : Kano Bridge Commissioned By Jonathan Cracks / Apga's Mega Rally In Aba ...pdp Has No Chance In Aba( Pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.