Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,742 members, 7,817,051 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:03 AM

The Essence Of English Names? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / The Essence Of English Names? (909 Views)

What's The Essence Of Tribal Marks? / Igbo Movies And Annoying Mixture Of English In Igbo / Benefit Of English To An Engineer And A Scientist. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

The Essence Of English Names? by basille(m): 8:54pm On Mar 21, 2015
Fellow nairalanders, what's the essence of an English name? I know some Nigerians do bear one or two 'English' names and also most Nigerian parents do give their children 'English' names but do their foreign counterparts do the same?
I haven't seen a brit or American ( with no ties whatsoever to Nigeria) bearing an igbo, hausa, or yoruba name.

What's your say?

1 Like

Re: The Essence Of English Names? by Nobody: 12:11am On Mar 22, 2015
basille:
Fellow nairalanders, what's the essence of an English name? I know some Nigerians do bear one or two 'English' names and also most Nigerian parents do give their children 'English' names but do their foreign counterparts do the same?
I haven't seen a brit or American ( with no ties whatsoever to Nigeria) bearing an igbo, hausa, or yoruba name.

What's your say?

Hi
...@post, during the Junior FIFA World Cup in Nigeria some 5 or 6 years ago, I worked at the stadium
One day, in a meeting with the Turkey team...they realised that almost everyone on our side had an English name...eg Rose shocked lipsrsealed except for a few including yours truly

They were so confused and wondered why we would have oyibo names.
I was embarrassed...

But I excuse the parents and grand parents that we had.....on contact with the oyibo, they embraced their culture (as it was taught them)
...one of the results was baptism and English names

Nowadays, however is where i have a problem, cos we all know better now I am sure
There is no justification for doing so now...none at all
But naming has gone nuclear, and we now have Dylan, Chelsea, etc....more and more oyibo names...beyond the names of the saints of religions
A tad embarrassing for me...and reflects the Lifecourse theory in Cultural studies...sad

But then, these are my views
One is allowed to name her child Siobhaen or anything he likes
Just that,
lipsrsealed
(Our names are even nicer, and resonate better within the soul)
Oh well

1 Like

Re: The Essence Of English Names? by basille(m): 8:45pm On Mar 24, 2015
milychocs:

They were so confused and wondered why we would have oyibo names.
I was embarrassed...

Lol, why shouldn't they be.
Yes, you are right about people having the right to name their children whatsoever they want, but while doing so most of our cultural names goes into extinction.

Some Nigerian parents (mostly in diaspora) see their children's ability to speak their mother tongue as being "Local" or irrelevant, whereas it's this same people who get to complain about how our cultural values are going extinct.

Oh well,
it's a free world.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Why Is The Head And Tail Of Snake Always Removed When Killed? / Why Are Drowned Victims Buried By Seaside? / Caption This Amazingphoto Of Gani Adams The New Aare Ona Kakanfo Of Yoruba-land

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.