Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,241 members, 7,953,911 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 08:47 AM

I guess im rooting for Togo now - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / I guess im rooting for Togo now (1348 Views)

Tyson Fury Vs Wladimir Klitschiko - Who Will You Be Rooting For? / Cote D'ivoire , Tunisia, Algeria . Togo - AFCON 2013 Group D / The Eagles Or The Saints, Who Are U Rooting For? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

I guess im rooting for Togo now by obong(m): 3:53pm On Oct 10, 2005
http://odili.net/news/source/2005/oct/10/59.html
Keshi: Rejected at home, leads Togo to first World Cup
By Folake Olujimi and Lekan Okusan

WHEN Coach Stephen Okechukwu Keshi of Togo was telling anybody who cared to listen in May 2004 that what he hoped to achieve in Togo was to get to the 2006 World Cup and Nations Cup, many football pundits took the former Super Eagles skipper as a joker.

Keshi

advertisement
But the Delta State-born coach knew what he was saying, and pursued his ambition with a lot of tenacity and confidence. The Togo Football Federation stood behind the 43-year-old tutor in their quest to achieve the country's biggest ever sports dream.

In his first test, Keshi's Togo fell by 0-1 to the Chipolopolo of Zambia in Lusaka, but he did not panic, as his major agenda was to resolve the frosty relationship between Togo's foreign-based players and the federation.

The task of achieving the near-impossible did not bother the former Nigerian defender, when he signed a two-year deal to manage the West African side. Even the fact that Togo was his first time in charge of any national team did not bother him.

Keshi believed that Eyadema's Togo was blessed with a lot of good players that could stand 'shoulder-to-shoulder' with any team in the world. And so he set out to assemble these resources in his patient move to build a virile team.

The first task before the former Anderletch of Belgium star was to rekindle the patriotism of the country's Europe-based players, who he saw as key to any realistic chance they had of qualifying for the mundial.
Re: I guess im rooting for Togo now by otokx(m): 10:25am On Oct 20, 2005
please do, after all they are next of kin

(1) (Reply)

Watch Nigeria Vs Burkina Faso Free - National Sports Commission / Nigerian Female Athletes Built Like Men / Mikel Obi Doing What He Knows How To Do Best For Chelsea (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.