Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,488 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! (1508 Views)

Ize-iyamu Hosts His Campaign Managers To A Dinner / Major Political Figures Linked With The Panama Papers (Picture) / 5 Major Political Steps President Buhari Has Taken Since Assuming Office (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 3:05pm On Mar 22, 2015
Hello people, especially the lawyers,

I just realized that a significant portion of my article was used by one of the very popular political parties in its bid to portray their presidential candidate in a very positive light...However, these campaign managers passed this write-up as their own research, without any reference or credit to me, the original author, or to the organization in whose name the article was written.

I discovered this around 2.am this morning. My question now is - what do I do? Can I sue and make big cash? Am I risking myself? The political party is really big, and I am confused as to what I can do..I've zero legal background!

Moderators, I believe this is worthy of front page, but let me leave everything to your trusted discretion.

Thank you.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by Nobody: 3:09pm On Mar 22, 2015
Post the articles here first
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by ademega(m): 3:11pm On Mar 22, 2015
Give us the company story .the party ,the article and date .your facts
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 3:12pm On Mar 22, 2015
WombRaiders:
Post the articles here first

If I do that, they will remove it from their website. That's why I'm not specific about the party. Are you a lawyer?
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by pweetixandy: 3:13pm On Mar 22, 2015
Post the articles here..yours and theirs

State the name of the political party

it will be moved to the frontpage only if u provide the articles.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 3:13pm On Mar 22, 2015
ademega:
Give us the company story .the party ,the article and date .your facts

My claim is really true. I've been asking people whether to first contact the MD of the company I once worked for, where the report was written, before taking any legal action.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by Nobody: 3:15pm On Mar 22, 2015
faith405:

If I do that, they will remove it from their website. That's why I'm not specific about the party. Are you a lawyer?

Screencap the webpage with the article and ensure you capture the url box.

Then post your original article with its link
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 3:16pm On Mar 22, 2015
WombRaiders:

Screencap the webpage with the article and ensure you capture the url box.

Then post your original article with its link

Thanks. Will do. But do I first let my former MD know about this development?
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by Nobody: 3:25pm On Mar 22, 2015
faith405:

Thanks. Will do. But do I first let my former MD know about this development?

I'm very sure there is a very good reason you added "former" to MD.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 3:36pm On Mar 22, 2015
WombRaiders:

I'm very sure there is a very good reason you added "former" to MD.

This person was my MD and I was paid a salary (around 240K/month) under his leadership..What advice do you have for me..Is there no need to contact him/her?
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by selectedhero(m): 3:36pm On Mar 22, 2015
if you mumu yourself and post the article or its title here, i pity for you; you will be ......
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 3:38pm On Mar 22, 2015
selectedhero:
if you [b]mumu yourself [/b]and post the article or its title here, i pity for you; you will be ......

Do you have to be derogatory to drive home a rather sensible point? I've resigned from this firm and do not live in Nigeria again..But I need to be well-advised as to what to do. If I didn't need an advice, I would've long posted the links to gain cheap points
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by egift(m): 3:44pm On Mar 22, 2015
faith405:

Write them. Don't be shy, be specific in stating what you want. Don't be greedy. Include proof you were the original author. Take a complete screen shot of the content on their website.

Cheers!
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by selectedhero(m): 3:44pm On Mar 22, 2015
faith405:

Do you have to be derogatory to drive home a rather sensible point? I've resigned from this firm and do not live in Nigeria again..But I need to be well-advised as to what to do. If I didn't need an advice, I would've long posted the links to gain cheap points
pardon the "mumu yourself" broda. it was just to drive the point that posting the article as suggested by comments above is not a good idea at all. i think you shouldn't bother coming online with such an enquiry, posts here are all ridiculed. seek advice from a learned fellow in your locality it would pay you better.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by alizenbohr: 3:46pm On Mar 22, 2015
faith405:

If I may ask:
1. Did you ever 'do work' for the party in question?

Whatever decision you take, know that it may not necessarily lead to financial compensation. They may just end up attaching your name to the article at most.

Finally, as the presidential elections are coming up this weekend, you have to make sure that any legal steps you may take will bring results within the week. Else, your matter MAY NOT even have weight again.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by egift(m): 3:47pm On Mar 22, 2015
faith405:
My claim is really true. I've been asking people whether to first contact the MD of the company I once worked for, where the report was written, before taking any legal action.

And if say you worked with a media house that first published that article, you will also have to review your contract with them to know if what you wrote during the time of yous stay is yours or theirs.

Cheers!
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 3:47pm On Mar 22, 2015
egift:

Write them. Don't be shy, be specific in stating what you want. Don't be greedy. Include proof you were the original author. Take a complete screen shot of the content on their website.

Cheers!

Thanks. I have done a video of the site. I will write them now.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by san316(m): 3:48pm On Mar 22, 2015
which party or shaaarrrap.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 3:49pm On Mar 22, 2015
egift:

And if say you worked with a media house that first published that article, you will also have to review your contract with them to know if what you wrote during the time of yous stay is yours or theirs.

Cheers!

Thanks, that's exactly my point!! This is why I ask whether to contact former CEO.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 3:49pm On Mar 22, 2015
san316:
which party or shaaarrrap.

So that people can bad mouth the party if it is not theirs abi, clap for yourself. Very smart person.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 4:00pm On Mar 22, 2015
alizenbohr:

If I may ask:
1. Did you ever 'do work' for the party in question?

Whatever decision you take, know that it may not necessarily lead to financial compensation. They may just end up attaching your name to the article at most.

Finally, as the presidential elections are coming up this weekend, you have to make sure that any legal steps you may take will bring results within the week. Else, your matter MAY NOT even have weight again.

Thanks. This is the point. I wish I saw the article long ago.

I was a professional in Nigeria and never affiliated with any party nor did some work for them.
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by egift(m): 4:02pm On Mar 22, 2015
faith405:
Thanks, that's exactly my point!! This is why I ask whether to contact former CEO.

First you really need to review the employment document you had with the media firm to determine if the said article is yours of belongs to your employer. For instance, when you were there, did you have the right to share articles you wrote for them with other establishments?

The the other thing is what do you want from all this? To have your name mentioned or to get paid?

Finally, can you let it go and forget it? Knowing the first issue I mentioned will determined who you are to deal with (Your Former Employer OR the party that republished your article).

NOTE: In all you do, don't be a pawn in Nigerian politics and don't expose yourself to Law-suits and ridicule.

Cheers!

2 Likes

Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 4:15pm On Mar 22, 2015
egift:

First you really need to review the employment document you had with the media firm to determine if the said article is yours of belongs to your employer. For instance, when you were there, did you have the right to share articles you wrote for them with other establishments?

The the other thing is what do you want from all this? To have your name mentioned or to get paid?

Finally, can you let it go and forget it? Knowing the first issue I mentioned will determined who you are to deal with (Your Former Employer OR the party that republished your article).

NOTE: In all you do, don't be a pawn in Nigerian politics and don't expose yourself to Law-suits and ridicule.

Cheers!

Helpful, thanks. When I was there, we disseminated articles under the company's letter head but with the name of writers printed on the articles. The employment contract is not really vocal on this - somewhat silent, although it says anything done with company resources belongs to the company. I think this is where my case loses some weight.

Anyway, to be frank, I would have been happier if I was credited in the party's write up because as things stand now, the campaign people have stolen my ideas and mus have earned millions doing this.. As they failed to mention my name, I was hoping I could at least get some sort of financial compensation..But again, the company I worked for could well say it owns anything done under its roof with its resources.

I don't want to drag myself into politics, but I also believe intellectual laziness should have no place among affiliates of any reasonable political party, not to talk about a major one at that..
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by egift(m): 4:42pm On Mar 22, 2015
faith405:

Helpful, thanks. When I was there, we disseminated articles under the company's letter head but with the name of writers printed on the articles. The employment contract is not really vocal on this - somewhat silent, although it says anything done with company resources belongs to the company. I think this is where my case loses some weight.

Anyway, to be frank, I would have been happier if I was credited in the party's write up because as things stand now, the campaign people have stolen my ideas and mus have earned millions doing this.. As they failed to mention my name, I was hoping I could at least get some sort of financial compensation. But again, the company I worked for could well say it owns anything done under its roof with its resources.

I don't want to drag myself into politics, but I also believe intellectual laziness should have no place among affiliates of any reasonable political party, not to talk about a major one at that..

Base on the highlighted portions, below are my recommendation:
1. Contact your former employer and review his response to your request.
2. Write the Political party (use the platform the article was published) to submit your request. Do threaten. Else they will be defensive.
3. Except those you hold in confidence, don't ever disclose specifics with anyone. Their opponents will like to milk your story to the last drop, while that party will try to soil you as much as they can.

But if you do not care about the morality, the other opportunity is to sell your story to another media house or the opponent political political party for a fee. (But just know it may be rowdy).

The choice is yours.

Cheers!
Re: Campaign Managers Of A Major Political Party Passed My Article As Theirs - HELP! by faith405: 12:33am On Mar 24, 2015
egift:

Base on the highlighted portions, below are my recommendation:
1. Contact your former employer and review his response to your request.
2. Write the Political party (use the platform the article was published) to submit your request. Do threaten. Else they will be defensive.
3. Except those you hold in confidence, don't ever disclose specifics with anyone. Their opponents will like to milk your story to the last drop, while that party will try to soil you as much as they can.

But if you do not care about the morality, the other opportunity is to sell your story to another media house or the opponent political political party for a fee. (But just know it may be rowdy).

The choice is yours.

Great, thanks.

Cheers!

(1) (Reply)

#nigeriadecides Accreditation Unit In Ali Marami Of Damaturu, Yobe State / What Happened To This " 3 Famous " Prophecies Of Apostle Johnson Suleiman? / Apc’s Lalong Clinches Plateau Gov Seat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.