Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,513 members, 7,819,857 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 03:39 AM

He Was Deported On Arriving UK. - Travel (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / He Was Deported On Arriving UK. (35659 Views)

37 Nigerians Deported From Italy Arrive Murtala Muhammed International Airport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by teesboy: 1:50pm On Mar 24, 2015
obtaining an entry visa to any country does not grant the applicant automatic entry to the country,it is just a first step rather it is the immigration officer and in this case the UKBA officer who makes the final decision to allow or not, vary your visa conditions or even shorten your stay regardless of length of visa and this decision is based purely on information from your passport, visa application and questions asked and answered truthfully that co-relates to information given voluntarily on your visa application form. A simple yes but i'm not staying with relatives or friends on this trip and you present evidence of your hotel booking would have sufficed. Though he was deported i am sure a lot of nigerians who answered questions truthfully were granted entry that same day
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by Nobody: 1:54pm On Mar 24, 2015
thegreengooner:
Always tell the truth! This is just plain ignorance on the part of the traveler. This is in now way ill treatment on the part of UKBA.

Be careful when you say the above
...cos there are times when telling the truth could literally kill
It is more ethical than moral

Thanks
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by slimfit1(m): 1:55pm On Mar 24, 2015
Siga:
... Bros... no warrant is needed to even strip search u if they deem it fit... all u will be given is a page of your right and if u refuse they hand u over to Police.... Everything on u is subject to a search.... its a matter of National Security... The fact that Nigerian Immigration no dey do no make am say no other country should...

Maybe their is something this people are not telling us because they can't just ask for your phone and you give them.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by Nobody: 1:57pm On Mar 24, 2015
I hate the "Oh, the UK is god and good and all I ever could want" tone of some posts here
Makes me wanna throw up!
Lawd.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by Nobody: 1:59pm On Mar 24, 2015
obailala:

There is certainly more to this story than the you or your friend is telling us. If what you have narrated is the complete story, then I would say the UKBA guys were wrong.

Was he given a chance to explain why he claimed he knew no one?... He had a hotel booked, he was in the country for business meeting (probably in a town out of London), he had no intentions of seeing his in-law and didn't even think it fit to inform her. He probably didnt even know if she was resident in London or in another town. If I were the man and was casually asked by the immigration guys, I would likely have just given a similar casual answer since my sister in-law's existence was inconsequential to my visit. It becomes a problem only if the immigration guys laid serious emphasis on the question but the man still insisted he knew no one.

Just like I said, there is more to this story than your friend narrated. The immigration guys wouldn't just deport people for such a flimsy reason.

Thank you!!!

2 Likes

Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by Nobody: 2:01pm On Mar 24, 2015
worry359:

Exactly
Where there are little lies
There are big lies hiding.

We will probably never know the truth because the original poster now looks rather foolish.

Well,you have certainly ensured that
lipsrsealed
angry
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by MadCow1: 2:03pm On Mar 24, 2015
babeface3:
The question is, does he owe them the duty to reveal information beyond what he has revealed in his visa application?

Do they have the right to invade his privacy by wading into his phone contacts in the manner they did? can you treat a British citizen like this in Nigeria?

If you find him suspicious, set police to watch his moves while in the UK, because the same you granted him visa with the information he volunteered on application.

We like looking at every Nigerian as a devil and thats a very wrong attitude. Why wont the foreigners treat us that way?

The answer is; Yes they do..

What you should bare in mind is that apart from just checking who comes into the country, their primary job is border security.

I remember landing in Pearson International on a return flight from the US and for what er reason I was pointed in the direction of extra search which was shocking. They proceeded to go through my bags, opened my 2 laptops and scroll through them after which they scanned them. Then opened my 3 mobile phones and search through them. From my messages to pictures to name it.

Then came the flurry of questions. Why do you have 3 phones? Why do you have 2 laptops? How much do you make in a year? Do you have a criminal history? It didn't matter that I only left Toronto for Houston less than 8 days ago. I ended up paying a fine of 700 Dollars for not declaring that I bought some clothes for myself in the US. Lol.

Remember the Paris shooting? The lady came across the border (airport) a few days just for the attack and fled via a land border afterwards.

It is necessary to answer every question as truthfully as possible and fill out the immigrations form correctly.

The one experience I had that made me sad was on a flight from same Pearson Airport in Toronto to Port Harcourt. I had cleared all pre boarding security passes and eentered the duty free area and had just finished shopping and was waiting calmly for my flight to be announced when I heard the check in counter call my name. When I approached, there were 3 security guys behind the counter who pulled me to a corner and started searching me and my hand luggage right there at the side of the check in counter in full view of all passengers.. I have never felt that bad in my life. Everyone was jjust looking as I was subjected to this special search. When they were done, I asked them why me and what prompted this and they said I was RANDOMLY selected for extra screening. When they finally finished, I was left to rearrange my hand luggage and then they left. I went straight to the toilet and wept bitterly.

Don't mess with foreign immigrations o! One false information and you are in trouble. A lady on a flight to Paris to meet with her husband was deported for having a credit card with someone else's name in her possession. She was answering their questions in a funny way that they just deported her after seizing the card.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by 400billionman: 2:05pm On Mar 24, 2015
babeface3:
This is one of the ill treatments meted out to a Nigerian recently in the UK.

My friend was traveling to the UK to meet a friend of his for some important discussions. His wife's younger sister stays in London and was not aware of his arrival as he wanted to stay in the hotel throughout his visit without any disturbance.

On arriving London, Immigration officers asked him if he knew anyone in London, to which he said no. In what looked like a drama, they took his phone from him and one of the officers went to an office, searched through the phone, found a London Number and called it. My guy's sister-in-law picked and answered all the questions they posed thinking the sister's husband was in trouble.

Like another drama, mu guy found himself in a room, and thereafter ushered to a waiting plane going to Lagos.

This is absolutely astonishing!

Hahaha.

One is not expected to lie to these guys under any circumstances..
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by neocortex: 2:06pm On Mar 24, 2015
This man must be an APC supporter as lying is their trademark. Now that lying has got him into trouble he will see the light and embrace it.
APC must be ready for the shock that will befall them on saturday as the consequence of their unending lies to Nigerians.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by Nobody: 2:07pm On Mar 24, 2015
smithbarry:
dishonest and intergrity is d major problem we are facing in nigeria.what prompt him to lie in the first instance.this is not a matter of self confidence,he/she tend to be liar.

i dnt c the reason why u will lie with immigration because they are not like nigeria immigration that u will bribe by putting $50 into ur passport bfore u can be departed...All those things tarnished nigeria image.this will be a lesson for everyone of us....and you know the situation of the country now in foreign perspectives.....

those that have application in embassy will undergo thorough screening exercise no..

i have relatives there but they are not aware of my visitation as i dont want them know dat am arroud.my visitation base on meeting not for seeking for relatives...basic

Excuse me, but dishonesty and lack of integrity are certainly not the biggest problems is facing as a country
Those are human traits....not national attributes
Peopl lie in heaven- UK and paradise- America too

Read SAPS, colonisation, capitalism, slave trade, indirect rule
...and therein lie the problem

We must all begin to love, or learn to love our land
It must come with some history and not that which the colonial masters taught....beyond and above that
We would learn what should be fixed, so that we can soar

I have become too preachy here
I will stop now!
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by binie: 2:07pm On Mar 24, 2015
slimfit1:

His phone is not a document they have no right to ask for his phone he has all the right not to give it. You don't have to do all they tell you thinking they would let you go. The fact is you look to clean and when you are shit happens men. However if they ask for your phone they might as well as for his pants. They would have to get a warrant to check his phone.

The truth is we all should repair our country so that we don't have to go to other countries. With this kind of president we have progress is in extinction in Nigeria. If we have naira equivalent to pounds or dollars we there should be know reason for other countries to be harassing our passport.

http://www.technologylawsource.com/2010/03/articles/information-technology/what-border-officials-can-do-with-your-laptop-and-cellular-phone/

Please take time to read this
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by debonairprinx(m): 2:18pm On Mar 24, 2015
19naia:
All questions must be answered honestly, when being asked by immigration officers on official duty.. He said he knows no one in London, yet he had in his possesion a contact number for a person in London... If that person was contacted and answered the immigation officers questions to confirm that they knew each other, then all the evidence they need, is there for establishing that he lied to them..
It may seem he did nothing wrong and even his lie seems to be concealing nothing illegal or out of the ordinary, but it stands that he accumulated the breach of immigration rules by declaring he did not know anyone in London...
That alone is enough to revoke a visa.. But it may be in this case, that there was possibly more to the issue than just lying..

Just spoke my mind.......
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by debonairprinx(m): 2:18pm On Mar 24, 2015
19naia:
All questions must be answered honestly, when being asked by immigration officers on official duty.. He said he knows no one in London, yet he had in his possesion a contact number for a person in London... If that person was contacted and answered the immigation officers questions to confirm that they knew each other, then all the evidence they need, is there for establishing that he lied to them..
It may seem he did nothing wrong and even his lie seems to be concealing nothing illegal or out of the ordinary, but it stands that he accumulated the breach of immigration rules by declaring he did not know anyone in London...
That alone is enough to revoke a visa.. But it may be in this case, that there was possibly more to the issue than just lying..

Just exatly what's on my mind.......
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by dandollarsco: 2:49pm On Mar 24, 2015
is your friend's fault
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by worry359(m): 3:04pm On Mar 24, 2015
slimfit1:

Maybe their is something this people are not telling us because they can't just ask for your phone and you give them.

slimfit
You are trying to make clever points of law.
You "claim" that you don't have to give them your phone.
OK you can stand there and argue the point as long as you want.

You MUST remember, you DO NOT HAVE A RIGHT OF ENTRY into any country.
If they want to refuse you entry then they will!
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by Nobody: 3:27pm On Mar 24, 2015
MadCow1:

What you should bare in mind is that apart from just checking who comes into the country, their primary job is border security.

I remember landing in Pearson International on a return flight from the US and for what er reason I was pointed in the direction of extra search which was shocking. They proceeded to go through my bags, opened my 2 laptops and scroll through them after which they scanned them. Then opened my 3 mobile phones and search through them. From my messages to pictures to name it.

Then came the flurry of questions. Why do you have 3 phones? Why do you have 2 laptops? How much do you make in a year? Do you have a criminal history? It didn't matter that I only left Toronto for Houston less than 8 days ago. I ended up paying a fine of 700 Dollars for not declaring that I bought some clothes for myself in the US. Lol.

Remember the Paris shooting? The lady came across the border (airport) a few days just for the attack and fled via a land border afterwards.

It is necessary to answer every question as truthfully as possible and fill out the immigrations form correctly.

The one experience I had that made me sad was on a flight from same Pearson Airport in Toronto to Port Harcourt. I had cleared all pre boarding security passes and eentered the duty free area and had just finished shopping and was waiting calmly for my flight to be announced when I heard the check in counter call my name. When I approached, there were 3 security guys behind the counter who pulled me to a corner and started searching me and my hand luggage right there at the side of the check in counter in full view of all passengers.. I have never felt that bad in my life. Everyone was jjust looking as I was subjected to this special search. When they were done, I asked them why me and what prompted this and they said I was RANDOMLY selected for extra screening. When they finally finished, I was left to rearrange my hand luggage and then they left. I went straight to the toilet and wept bitterly.

Don't mess with foreign immigrations o! One false information and you are in trouble. A lady on a flight to Paris to meet with her husband was deported for having a credit card with someone else's name in her possession. She was answering their questions in a funny way that they just deported her after seizing the card.

Im glad u shared ur experience with foreign immigration personnels, just Imagine what u went through despite the fact that u came clean then Imagine what awaits those with Incriminating Items or those that violates their Immigration laws?

All those with negative motives In NL and all the james bond wannabes in 9ja should know that if they get to any foreign land and breach any laws of that country, the full weight of the laws of that country will come down very hard on them.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by Jfrezzy(m): 3:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
UK can be very funny,I schooled in coventry so I know how it feels ,even if u have a visa dat still don't mean u entry into Uk. Just God funny people
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by Nobody: 3:56pm On Mar 24, 2015
the guy nah otondo nah! money wey e for use come campaigne for GEJ second term you just waste am for both flight and hotel.

how will a foreign country like UK even accept a Nigerian visiting for no reasons, not even tourism? 'threat alert jor! I'm from enùgû! you dont Try that over here @all. you will be deported!
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by 400billionman: 3:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
hahn:

@ "everyone lies". You need to change the kind of people you associate with. There's way more to life than you think.

Its quite unfortunate that some Nigerians think like this. The truth wouldn't have hurt him one bit but he choose to give an unnecessary lie. These kind of people are the major problems of Nigeria, thinking you can just get away with breaking the law or being dishonest. In saner climes, people are held by their words and integrity, honesty and reliability go a long way. In Europe, if you have an appointment at 12:00pm and get there 12:05pm, no one will attend to you and you'll be regarded as unreliable. But alas, we are proud to boast about "African time" and make it seem like it is an achievement to be unreliable.

And that's where we are today, a nation that has moved nowhere after 54years. Our indicipline and non chalance has cost us our prestige and rendered us static, if not backward in our "perceived" development.

The youths have been misled to believe what is wrong is right and vise versa. I believe its time we start being real to ourselves.

Well said.

The guy was dishonest and those supporting him are slowpokes.. Probably his first time visiting UK..
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by osomegbe(m): 4:05pm On Mar 24, 2015
YOUR FRIEND MUST BE A BIG BOY.
going all the way to London just to discuss issues.
Tell that to the birds. That is how you people give Nigerians bad names.
Just tell them what you are going for. Finish.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by hijodedios: 4:15pm On Mar 24, 2015
babeface3:
This is one of the ill treatments meted out to a Nigerian recently in the UK.

My friend was traveling to the UK to meet a friend of his for some important discussions. His wife's younger sister stays in London and was not aware of his arrival as he wanted to stay in the hotel throughout his visit without any disturbance.

On arriving London, Immigration officers asked him if he knew anyone in London, to which he said no. In what looked like a drama, they took his phone from him and one of the officers went to an office, searched through the phone, found a London Number and called it. My guy's sister-in-law picked and answered all the questions they posed thinking the sister's husband was in trouble.

Like another drama, mu guy found himself in a room, and thereafter ushered to a waiting plane going to Lagos.

This is absolutely astonishing!
No brother i disagree with you,i dont see any ill treatment against him according to what you have explained,he only got what he deserved,you dont go lying to immigration officials or hiding informations from them,they will surely find out and when they do,you will have to pay for it,our problem is that we think that other countries work the same way we do,its not that way.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by justwise(m): 4:17pm On Mar 24, 2015
milychocs:

Excuse me, but dishonesty and lack of integrity is certainly not the biggest problems is facing as a country
Those are human traits....not a national attribute
Peopl lie in heaven- UK and paradise- America too

Read SAPS, colonisation, capitalism, slave trade, indirect rule
...and therein lie the problem

We must all begin to love, or learn to love our land
It must come with some history and not that which the colonial masters taught....beyond and above that
We would learn what should be fixed, so that we can soar

I have become too preachy here

I will stop now!

What have you been smoking lately? grin
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by feedthenation(m): 4:20pm On Mar 24, 2015
MadCow1:

I can fully understand your ordeal.

Similar scenario have happened to me thrice, firstly at O'Hare Int'l Airport, Chicago, secondly at Bush International, Houston and third time at Vienna Austria.
On both ocassions in US, my offence was that I'm single and I fit the profile of a 'would-be terrorist' going by my name and nationality.
After searching all my belongings and been asked every question under the sun - despite working for a US company then, Ford Motor Company.

Silly questions like who paid for my MSc course in UK, how did I pay for my ticket, why did I choose the seat number on the plane, do I know the name of the passenger who sat next to me etc.

The third case was the most painful, as I was singled out from my work colleagues and again subjected to barrage of unnecessary questions.

All in all, I do believe every nation have the right to be security conscious like the US and Austria in the examples I gave, unfortunately the Nigerian Immigration Service is so unless that they hardly do anything to protect our international airports - they are more into them asking you to bless the table and using schemes to extort money from you.

Back to scenario mentioned by the OP, his/her friend is very 'economical' with the truth and UKBA have every right within the law to reject him passage into the UK.
We have to be honest and confidence in answering any questions posed to us by any immigration personnel - give short and straight to the point answers - don't tell too much stories.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by tellmesome(f): 5:58pm On Mar 24, 2015
Lying is in the blood of almost every Nigerian, nothing can be done about it. Even the president is a big liar so what do u expect.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by CarterDavid30(m): 6:20pm On Mar 24, 2015
Siga:
... Sorry about ur friends issue... but the Immigration officers have every right to check ur laptop, phones or any gadget u have on u... its within their rights and national security issues... They check their own British citizens as well...

Your friend was asked a simple question which he should have answered truthfully and reply... Yes I know someone, a family member but I am not staying with her on this trip.
. Simple and all will be fine.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by tunnary(m): 6:45pm On Mar 24, 2015
very good, one of d comandment of God says thou shall nt lie, nw u'v disobey God cos ur trying to be smart. U see nw. U even get luck say dem lock u up, u for smel ur nyanch before dem deport u. Lier boy
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by worry359(m): 6:53pm On Mar 24, 2015
Original poster seems to have abandoned this thread.
She had too many "hot slaps" grin shocked grin shocked
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by howfar2: 6:55pm On Mar 24, 2015
If he is coming for a meeting he should have a business visa.
if he is coming with a visitor's visa then he must have declared during his application that he had a relative.
Since he never had any then he should be deported asap.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Mar 24, 2015
justwise:

What have you been smoking lately? grin

That shit (pardon my French) you gave me is strooong
I am red eyed and verrry hungry and drinking garri and all that weed stuff
cheesy
tongue

(I used sh1t.....I now see poo, SMH)
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by slimfit1(m): 7:45pm On Mar 24, 2015
binie:

http://www.technologylawsource.com/2010/03/articles/information-technology/what-border-officials-can-do-with-your-laptop-and-cellular-phone/

Please take time to read this

Ok thank you please buy a new phone then when you are coming lool people.
Re: He Was Deported On Arriving UK. by justwise(m): 8:00pm On Mar 24, 2015
milychocs:

That shit (pardon my French) you gave me is strooong
I am red eyed and verrry hungry and drinking garri and all that weed stuff
cheesy
tongue

(I used sh1t.....I now see poo, SMH)

Now i'm worried about you....even as i got no clue what you are on about but the effect on you is obvious...judging by your posts lately... grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

These Filthy Handrails In Lagos Buses Can Cause An Epidermic (PHOTOS) / 7 Police Officers Deployed To Katsina Die In Ghastly Motor Accident / Nigerian Man Stranded & Acting Unwell In Berlin. Do You Know Him?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.