Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,592 members, 7,827,225 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 09:09 AM

Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria - Car Talk (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria (105761 Views)

Which Is Better? Automatic Transmission Or Manual Transmission / Is Power Sterring Fluid Diffrent From Automatic Transmission Fluid? / Which Do You Prefer - Manual Or Automatic Transmission? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by z3us(m): 11:39pm On May 30, 2015
thanks for d response...
firstly d prob did not start after d oil change...i noticed it before the oil change(thats why i changed it)
while draining d oil it was discovered to be low....so i tot d prob wud stop.
secondly d oil used was dextron iii ....

on d revsere thing ...d car drags on reverse and if am reversing onto a higher ground it might not go,even if i throttle down..it does this often thou.
pls if u can help with ur phone num or address pls.

Kashif:

P0761 is a solenoid performance code, which affects clutch pack 3 in your transmission. Did this problem start after you changed the oil, or did it take some time? Four things are possibly wrong with your transmission, and I will list them in priority order:

1. The valve connected to your S3 solenoid is stuck.
2. S3 is stuck.
3. Clutch 3 piston failure.
4. Hydraulic leakage in the circuit.

There is a risk with changing atf when the old one has become very dirty. Dirt could find its way into the valve body, and that's where the trouble starts. It is advised t o replace filters during atf change but, it may not make much difference.

Which oil did you use? Out of curiosity, why would you need your reverse to be accelerating? Do you mean it lacks power and requires higher revving? As in, it binds up? It would help if you can provide more details of the issues you are having with your transmission.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Jlow2: 12:13am On May 31, 2015
bro pls my honda dc 2006 jumps from gear one to two wen u accelerate with force, and makes a grindin noise but frm gear 2 onwards engages perfectly
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by practicalclass: 1:58am On May 31, 2015
Kashif:

Hyundai SP-III. frequency of change is open to debate.
Thank you.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:23am On May 31, 2015
z3us:
thanks for d response...
firstly d prob did not start after d oil change...i noticed it before the oil change(thats why i changed it)

on d revsere thing ...d car drags on reverse and if am reversing onto a higher ground it might not go,even if i throttle down..it does this often thou.

You poured dextronIII into a 2007 is250 angry nah wa!
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by z3us(m): 9:39am On May 31, 2015
i would verify from the mechanic....buh dats what i tot he used....
GAZZUZZ:

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 1:52pm On May 31, 2015
z3us:
thanks for d response...

Okay, the persistent problem with your transmission is the sluggish reverse? When does the issue with the 3rd gear occur? When hot, cold, randomly?

Low atf will not affect the reverse alone, just like bad converter or pump, as it should have a global effect. Was the old oil burnt? Without a dip, access to your atf is a challenge. You need to repair your valve body fast before it affects the clutch, assuming it hasn't already. Unfortunately, this will eventually regress to the point where the reverse does not work again, because the friction disks are gone.

Painfully, I don't know anybody who has the tools and expertise to repair, or rebuild transmissions. You may end up replacing your transmission, unless you are sure your clutch is still good, in which case you can focus on the valve body alone. How are your 3rd and 5th gears faring? They share the same clutch with reverse.

I am not a mechanic, but have my eyes on bridging the auto transmission service gap here, in the future. If you do find someone who can fix your transmission and need technical support, let me know.

GAZZUZZ:

He must have trusted his mechanic with that decision, not knowing the dude lacks the know how. We seem helpless here!

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Nobody: 2:41pm On May 31, 2015
z3us:
thanks for d response...

Bros, go gather money, and buy another tokunbo gearbox.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 3:05pm On May 31, 2015
lomomike:

Bros, go gather money, and buy another tokunbo gearbox.

The problem was already there before the oil change. Truthfully, ATFs are over hyped. As a matter of fact, dextron III can drive a healthy A760. A 1996 transmission and 2010 have the same types of components - rubbers, plastics, aluminium, copper, etc, only that the late models have more of those.

I recently learnt that my elder brother has been using Abro in his 2004 Camry for 11 months now, after the atf ran dry. So far, no issues. I am not saying owners should not stick to manufacturer's atf but, there are other, and some, better alternatives.

There are nonfunctional reasons manufacturers introduce newer ATFs, but it a discussion for another day. It is also worthy of note that none of them manufactures these fluids.

2 Likes

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:11am On Jun 01, 2015
Kashif:

The problem was already there before the oil change. Truthfully, ATFs are over hyped. As a matter of fact, dextron III can drive a healthy A760. A 1996 transmission and 2010 have the same types of components - rubbers, plastics, aluminium, copper, etc, only that the late models have more of those.

I recently learnt that my elder brother has been using Abro in his 2004 Camry for 11 months now, after the atf ran dry. So far, no issues. I am not saying owners should not stick to manufacturer's atf but, there are other, and some, better alternatives.

There are nonfunctional reasons manufacturers introduce newer ATFs, but it a discussion for another day. It is also worthy of note that none of them manufactures these fluids.

What about viscosity? E.g cvt transmissions their oil grads are thicker than conventional transmission oils.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 6:24am On Jun 01, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

What about viscosity? E.g cvt transmissions their oil grads are thicker than conventional transmission oils.

Of course, CVT ATFs are in a world of their own and must be respected. There are multi CVT ATFs that meet (and some times, surpass) OEMs though. They can cover many brands once the critical parameters match. Conventional transmissions are much more tolerant, with the exception of Honda.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by luvinhubby(m): 7:33pm On Jun 02, 2015
Kashif:

This your postulation is the reason for very high incidence of gear failures in our clime. That your brother has been using ABRO for 11 months does not mean it is a decent ATF, some even use engine oil AP Visco 2000 & 'nothing' happens to the gear. That the damage is not yet pronounced does not mean it's not happening, it's an ongoing process.
ATF misuse is the greatest killer of gears in Nigeria, trust me.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 12:16am On Jun 03, 2015
luvinhubby:

This your postulation is the reason for very high incidence of gear failures in our clime. That your brother has been using ABRO for 11 months does not mean it is a decent ATF, some even use engine oil AP Visco 2000 & 'nothing' happens to the gear. That the damage is not yet pronounced does not mean it's not happening, it's an ongoing process.
ATF misuse is the greatest killer of gears in Nigeria, trust me.

Did I say Abro is recommended? I wrote that owners should use OEM recommended atf but, there are others that won't kill the transmission. There are myths about atfs, and they are want they are - myths.

My point is, don't believe all you are told by manufacturers as they are always trying to avoid warranties. Toyota says the WS atf is filled for life. Is that true? We know its not! The difference in WS and t-iv is viscosity, to help the transmission better at extreme temperatures. It is also full synthetic.Mobil makes the WS, and know that there are better atfs out there. Top grade atf will not save a dying transmission. An atf two grades away will not kill a healthy transmission.

What is that damage that would not manifest in a transmission after 11 months of daily use? The components that are most vulnerable in the transmission are the sealing rings. The hard parts do not care what oil you feed them, as long as they get lubricated, which about any oil can do. I can tell you a couple of transmissions that use different atfs, recommended by the manufacturer. Toyota's A541-E for instance, is known to be fine with Dex III, type t-iv and WS. When the U151 was introduced, type t-iv was available so, it was the recommended. When WS became standard, everybody says "T-iv will kill your U151". Same tranny! Is it not funny?

Low recommended atf could be worse than a 'wrong' full atf.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sharpsharp: 12:53am On Jun 05, 2015
Kashif:

You MUST clear the code before your car normalises. Changing the sensor alone does not do this. Clear the code before touching the replacement sensor. If the sensor is bad, the code will come back, and the problem starts again. It may take a while for it to show up again (if current sensor is bad) so, watch it closely.

I am neither an experienced mechanic, nor experienced that with my car before. Only an apprentice. Cheers!

Thanks for ur advice so far. Cleared the error code, check light went off, car changed gear past 3rd gear, but after a while check light came back and issue persist. Seems I need to get genuine knock sensors myself. Or what do u think?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by GAZZUZZ(m): 11:40am On Jun 05, 2015
sharpsharp:
Kindly give advice what to do Lexus RX300 doesn't change from gear 3 to 4th gear. Scanned and knock sensors were bad, it was changed and oil changed. Still same problem.

3hr job 1year guarantee call 08023251039 lagos.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 1:05pm On Jun 05, 2015
sharpsharp:

Thanks for ur advice so far. Cleared the error code, check light went off, car changed gear past 3rd gear, but after a while check light came back and issue persist. Seems I need to get genuine knock sensors myself. Or what do u think?

Replacement sensor bad. Follow GAZZUZZ.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sharpsharp: 5:35am On Jun 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Am not in Lagos presently. I can take the car to Benin, if u can meet me there kindly let me know, also will you purchase the replacement sensor from Lagos and give me a breakdown of the total cost. I will give u a call later in the day. Thanks in anticipation.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sharpsharp: 5:36am On Jun 06, 2015
Kashif:

Replacement sensor bad. Follow GAZZUZZ.

Thanks for your recommendation. Higher heights man.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sharpsharp: 11:31am On Jun 06, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Had this codes when I scanned it.

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by olakunbiajayi: 12:22pm On Jun 06, 2015
The car is cheerokee jeep, model is chryster, year of make is 2002. The problem is that d gear is leaking oil and is not selecting, each time they work on the gear, it usually affect the brain box, the cause of it is not known. where and which company in Lagos can such fault can be diagonise and repair? Thanks.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by GAZZUZZ(m): 12:39pm On Jun 06, 2015
sharpsharp:

Had this codes when I scanned it.

O2 sensor Errors
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Kashif(m): 3:21pm On Jun 06, 2015
olakunbiajayi:
The car is cheerokee jeep, model is chryster, year of make is 2002. The problem is that d gear is leaking oil and is not selecting, each time they work on the gear, it usually affect the brain box, the cause of it is not known. where and which company in Lagos can such fault can be diagonise and repair? Thanks.

What engine is your vehicle fitted with?

Why the constant repairs? Same problem?

What does the repair do to your 'brain box' ? It should be the transmission acting up.

Your vehicle has a transmission relearn procedure, which mist be followed each time it is worked on. That is what the manufacturer says. Your mechanic must use a capable scan tool to do this. I could post the procedure when I login on a desktop.

1 Like

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by speed001: 2:01pm On Jun 07, 2015
sharpsharp:

Am not in Lagos presently. I can take the car to Benin, if u can meet me there kindly let me know, also will you purchase the replacement sensor from Lagos and give me a breakdown of the total cost. I will give u a call later in the day. Thanks in anticipation.

Sir, has he replied on dis decision. Where r u sir cos I'm in benin too
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sharpsharp: 10:01am On Jun 08, 2015
speed001:

Sir, has he replied on dis decision. Where r u sir cos I'm in benin too

Yes he has replied me, we spoke off line. Are u an auto mech or u got the parts? Send me ur details let discuss.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by coolwisdom(m): 2:11pm On Jun 08, 2015
Please i spear headed a buying of a car to one man in our area and the man is treatening me now because the car have problem has soon has it arrive in calabar first the man say that as he was driving the car when he make a stop or hold break the car will fine it deficult to move somtime he need to change from d to d2 before it start to move and even on that the staring and tyre will shake has if somthing hold the leg of the car and the car will be fire on high velocity before it that to move and when it finaly free it will move freely till when you hold another breake or stop so since the car was indicating change oil i advice the should change the atf and the change it and put 8 litres of seahorse atf that is in the red contianer and it has if the problem was about to stop the car move very freely to a very long distand there was no problem but when the car become hot and it drive far distanse it start again this time it do not move again when you put it in drive it only drive reverse and i i let the car to be cold and i top 2 litre again the car move again and drive d but has he was driving the car stop and start again after he has drive lond distance it dont drive front again it oly drive reverse so when i check the dip stick in the gear box i discover that the transmission he use was not the right one that he was supposed to use marcron v oil or transmission but the macron v transmision is very cost which other transmission can we use the car is fordwinstar the space bus type and if we change the transimition will it work will the car move will it stop the problem and secondly the car cosume fuel we have check injector,nusel,plug,it all ok but the car is till cusuming fuel and please is the any other cheap tramission to use for ford winstar
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by omicron(m): 2:31pm On Jun 08, 2015
coolwisdom:
Please i spear headed a buying of a car to one man in our area and the man is treatening me now because the car have problem has soon has it arrive in calabar first the man say that as he was driving the car when he make a stop or hold break the car will fine it deficult to move somtime he need to change from d to d2 before it start to move and even on that the staring and tyre will shake has if somthing hold the leg of the car and the car will be fire on high velocity before it that to move and when it finaly free it will move freely till when you hold another breake or stop so since the car was indicating change oil i advice the should change the atf and the change it and put 8 litres of seahorse atf that is in the red contianer and it has if the problem was about to stop the car move very freely to a very long distand there was no problem but when the car become hot and it drive far distanse it start again this time it do not move again when you put it in drive it only drive reverse and i i let the car to be cold and i top 2 litre again the car move again and drive d but has he was driving the car stop and start again after he has drive lond distance it dont drive front again it oly drive reverse so when i check the dip stick in the gear box i discover that the transmission he use was not the right one that he was supposed to use marcron v oil or transmission but the macron v transmision is very cost which other transmission can we use the car is fordwinstar the space bus type and if we change the transimition will it work will the car move will it stop the problem and secondly the car cosume fuel we have check injector,nusel,plug,it all ok but the car is till cusuming fuel and please is the any other cheap tramission to use for ford winstar
Your write-up is almost unreadable.

What year model is the car?
Any blinking lights?
Have you scanned?

*just trying to help you get your message across the experts.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by sharpsharp: 7:45pm On Jun 08, 2015
Thanks a lot Kashif, Gazzuzz & Speed001. Discovered harness wires for my O2 sensor close to the catalyst converter were slit,cut apart, exhaust cone /packing was bad. Had the O2 wires joined together and replaced bad exhaust packing. Error went off, had only P0125 which I cleared with the scan tool kit. I ve been test driving it, check light hasn't come on.
@Speed001 I will look for an experienced electrician to correct the running of my fans.
I truly appreciate u guys and I will update u as things progress further.

Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by GAZZUZZ(m): 8:09pm On Jun 08, 2015
sharpsharp:
Thanks a lot Kashif, Gazzuzz & Speed001. Discovered harness wires for my O2 sensor close to the catalyst converter were slit,cut apart, exhaust cone /packing was bad. Had the O2 wires joined together and replaced bad exhaust packing. Error went off, had only P0125 which I cleared with the scan tool kit. I ve been test driving it, check light hasn't come on.
@Speed001 I will look for an experienced electrician to correct the running of my fans.
I truly appreciate u guys and I will update u as things progress further.

Pay serious attention to that damaged harness I cannot begine to count the number of people who have replaced engine Ecu because of that kind of issue.
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by coolwisdom(m): 8:54pm On Jun 08, 2015
I have not done scan but it is bliking red light in front of the dash board
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by omicron(m): 7:41am On Jun 09, 2015
coolwisdom:
I have not done scan but it is bliking red light in front of the dash board
scan the car.

Which of the indicators is blinking? Can you take a snapshot?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by Macmilla(m): 9:54am On Jun 09, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Pay serious attention to that damaged harness I cannot begine to count the number of people who have replaced engine Ecu because of that kind of issue.
You mean it can damage the ecu?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by olakunbiajayi: 12:09pm On Jun 10, 2015
my car is cheerokee jeep,model is chryster,year of make is 2002.d problem is dat d gear is leaking oil and is not selecting.each time dey work on d gear,it usually affect d brain box.the cause of it is not known.ask where in Lagos can such fault be diagonised?
Re: Automatic Transmission And Gear Repairs In Nigeria by olakunbiajayi: 12:37pm On Jun 10, 2015
Kashif:

What engine is your vehicle fitted with?

Why the constant repairs? Same problem?

What does the repair do to your 'brain box' ? It should be the transmission acting up.

Your vehicle has a transmission relearn procedure, which mist be followed each time it is worked on. That is what the manufacturer says. Your mechanic must use a capable scan tool to do this. I could post the procedure when I login on a desktop.
@Kashif, tnx will be expecting it... can I have your contact.

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (23) (Reply)

Lagos Number Plate Abbreviations & What They Mean / Meet Nigerians Who Own Bugatti Veyron Car(Photos) / Ayo Fayose's New Official Ride (PHOTOS) 1957 Mercedes Benz 220S Sedan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.