Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,746 members, 7,809,843 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 03:54 PM

I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking - Career - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking (1458 Views)

Where To Learn The Art Of Public Speaking In Lagos / Public Speaking As A Career / How Can I Build Up A Good Advocacy And Public Speaking Skill? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by Nobody: 9:33pm On Mar 23, 2015
My Dear Nairalanders,

I have a very big problem that is threatening my sanity and career.

I recently got promoted to a senior role in a multinational coy in Lagos and had to represent the Coy in a trade meet, during which I had to make presentations. This happened to be my first public speaking event and I performed woefully such that I couldn't recognise my voice, my heart was pounding like mad and I felt that I was going to faint.

I pulled though the ordeal but this has continued to haunt me.

I do presentations but mostly to junior staff, but when it comes to relating with my peers or seniors, I fall to pieces. The only time I perform satisfactorily is when I engage my peers or seniors in small groups, outside of this set-up, its a disaster.

Please help me with contacts for experts on public speaking (or training), or even ideas to control my fear. I have risen to my position through hardwork, loyalty dedication and excellence and wouldn't want to stagnate this with my poor communication skills.

Please mods put this on front page to get maximum coverage.

B.R
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by Pvin: 9:36pm On Mar 23, 2015
Practice with a mirror of yourself
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by Nobody: 9:44pm On Mar 23, 2015
find your unique gift, no be everybody go be pastor, you wnt struggle if its ur real gift, thre is something you ar good at, find that!!!
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by CrazyMan(m): 9:50pm On Mar 23, 2015
See the link below. A similar question was asked there.

https://www.nairaland.com/2197959/how-build-up-good-advocacy#31789523
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by rawpadgin(m): 9:57pm On Mar 23, 2015
I'm a victim too, mine is getting better gradually though

I noticed that i was trying too hard not to make a blunder whilst presenting lecture

my case improved after i started caring less about what peeps gonna say after my presentation
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by Nobody: 10:14pm On Mar 23, 2015
Thanks for all your kind responses so far
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by kellyJames5(m): 12:01am On Mar 24, 2015
A very quick and important question:
Do you self-service? undecided
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by egwajoe(m): 4:36pm On Mar 24, 2015
Kellyjames5, do u know that sexuality section exist in this forum ? Then Go there Now!
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by kellyJames5(m): 4:50pm On Mar 24, 2015
egwajoe:
Kellyjames5, do u know that sexuality section exist in this forum ? Then Go there Now!

And what was that suppose to mean?
I asked the OP question not you,and for your information;self service can cause such.

Next time,make sure you understand a post well before quoting.
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by egwajoe(m): 8:15pm On Mar 24, 2015
It is good to ask questions, but u fail to ask,why ? Kellyjames5.
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by kellyJames5(m): 8:56pm On Mar 24, 2015
egwajoe:
It is good to ask questions, but u fail to ask,why ? Kellyjames5.

Is that not a question?
Didn't you see the question mark?
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by egwajoe(m): 9:22am On Mar 25, 2015
That is why you will always fail exam. U gave a question a wrong answer. F9 for u
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by dhemmyhardy(m): 10:29pm On Mar 25, 2015
@ lasttimer: if you really know you want to improve your
I can some book that will really help you speak in public both
In business meeting, seminars and in society just mail me

dhemmyhardy2011@gmail.com

Regards.
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by Nobody: 2:21pm On Apr 04, 2015
kellyJames5:
A very quick and important question:
Do you self-service? undecided

I don't cos I'm married
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by Nobody: 2:23pm On Apr 04, 2015
dhemmyhardy:
@ lasttimer: if you really know you want to improve your
I can some book that will really help you speak in public both
In business meeting, seminars and in society just mail me

dhemmyhardy2011@gmail.com

Regards.

demartins141@gmail.com
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by Ifiegboria(m): 3:49pm On Apr 04, 2015
I have similar issue maybe cos I do stammer but I think u can improve on it especially if u knw there myt not be opportunity for the audience to ask questions or room for feedbacks. U need some confidence builder like practicing and some leadership course. U are a leader, so, u should be able to address anyone comfortably. Its not easy but u can. Also make sure u have such an expertise in ur field so that no one can intimidate you. aghedoaim@gmail.com
Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by Nobody: 10:07pm On Apr 04, 2015
You will also need to be coached physically. This trainer is available in Lagos. Send a mail to valsworth005@gmail.com

1 Like

Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by SmartFaces(f): 12:43pm On Apr 05, 2015
First i must commend your strength to share your short coming.

Just like someone earlier said, everybody must not be a pastor or a public speaker, but when you find yourself in such position, you need work on yourself.

1. Get some books on leadership and public speaking.

2. Days to your presentation, practice practice practice.

3. Get a close friend or two, let them listen to you, analyze and criticize your performance before the D-day.

4. Pray to God about that situation in faith... there nothing he can't do.

5. Look for and identify your area of calling, what i mean is "what destiny has designed for you" Every individual on earth has where God had called him to function, such that if you are not functioning there, you may seem to experience this feelings or have things difficult.

6. While you are working, have your life's purpose at the back of your mind and in little or no time, you will see things work out for you.

Don't worry, God will see you through.

1 Like

Re: I Have A Challenge With Public Speaking by SmartFaces(f): 12:47pm On Apr 05, 2015
Valsworth:
You will also need to be coached physically. This trainer is available in Lagos. Send a mail to valsworth005@gmail.com

Valsworth is also right. You need a physical coach. you can get a person who is enlightened in such areas, ask for his or her help. A mentor will also do. He or should should be able to guide you accurately at all times and during your presentations.

(1) (Reply)

Earn More Than N4500 Everyday Either As A Worker, Student Or Unemployed. / Meet Uzo Asonye, US District Attorney Prosecuting Paul Manafort / How To Become A Business Analyst-5 Sure Steps To Follow.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.