Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,757 members, 7,824,173 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:48 AM

Is Our Culture Robbing Us Of Empathy? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Is Our Culture Robbing Us Of Empathy? (560 Views)

Half Unclad Women Celebrate Their Culture In Rivers State. Photos / Killers Of Python In Calabar: Handling Snake Is Our Culture; no charms or juju / The Beauty Of Our Culture (ijaw , Urhobo, Itsekiri) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Our Culture Robbing Us Of Empathy? by lulu69: 11:12am On Mar 24, 2015
by Lucas TOGAN

I'm ashamed of myself this morning. I am the problem with my country. I will not blame any leader ever again for the monster that I have become. I have lost my humanity in the pursuit of my daily bread.

A few years back, I hitched an Abuja bound ride from Ibadan. I was first to board the "cha cha tokunbo" (chacha means "brown" new not "brand new" and tokunbo is second hand ~ get used to the oxymoron) Toyota highlander SUV. As we moved, he hailed a lady on a bike bound for the official Abuja park. She liked the car but was skeptic seeing just two guys in the front seats. To allay her fears, I told her I had just boarded a few minutes earlier. She immediately asked to see IDs - like that would have prevented us from hurting her if we were so inclined. She finally boarded and we were soon on our way. Just after Okene (mid- western Nigeria), we witnessed a ghastly motor accident. Apparently there had been a head-on collision between two Toyota Hiace filled-to-capacity commercial transporters (Nigeria's major means of inter-state travel).

The scene was gory to say the least. The driver slowed just enough for all of us to catch the full picture of events. Mangled bodies in the front seat, a man had half his torso outside the front window while the lower one was stuck in the car. Some injured people lying here and there. Dead ones lying lifeless elsewhere. The vehicles looked more like mangled metals than what they used to be just a few minutes earlier. Just as I thought the driver was going to clear and park to allow us offer some assistance, he accelerated to my utter shock and disbelief. Naturally I screamed, "what are you doing!? We should go and help those guys." His reply was even more shocking - "I am a nurse but I can't help them. You see, this car is for someone in my hospital. When I'm off duty, I buy and deliver cars to people. Besides, the closest hospital to where we are right now is half an hour's drive in the opposite direction. I can't afford blood on these seats and neither can I afford the time it would cost me to help them to the hospital. Sorry sir. And I know you don't want to drop either." Though I hated to admit it, he was right - I didn't want to drop. I couldn't say anything to that. The other passengers didn't say much other than the generic "eyas"(the sound we make when we sympathize with a situation or person) and mundane prayers to God for fortitude to bare losses. As he drove on, I felt like my soul was being dragged reluctantly from the scene.

That experience has stayed with me ever since and I've blamed myself for what I didn't do. I hated my excuses. I hated that I understood the driver's position and reasonable predicament. I blamed the system for rubbing me of my humanity. I blamed everyone and anyone for my inability to help those guys.

This morning, it happened again.

As I hit the road to work this morning, I saw a huge ball of fire on 3rd mainland bridge. I initially thought it was these political thugs fighting for either party because there had been pockets of violence since Sunday. As we approached, it became obvious it was a vehicle of sorts. As we leveled up, I saw a man on fire and still moving. I immediately asked the driver if he had an extinguisher and he said yes. I motioned that he park but he said "No O! We have already passed him now." And he continued driving. I looked back and no one - not a single car parked to help. Everyone was just "flying" off to their destinations. That Okene feeling enveloped me again. The man then said what completely killed my spirit - "Eya, and he woke up hail and hearty this morning O. God is in control." That's when I got mad - REALLY MAD.

"Sir, please keep quiet." I screamed. "We all ought to be ashamed of our collective selves. You have an extinguisher you did not stop. All the other cars did not stop either. My own excuse is that I am not the one driving. No excuse is good enough. We should help people. Our problem is not government. We are a sick sick people. We have no human feelings anymore. We are the problem with Nigeria. The problem with us is us. No leader can change a sick lot like us sir, so please stop the excuses and the prayers. You and I are the problem because even if I was driving I don't know if I'd have stopped." I got out of his car and banged the door. I wasn't mad at him. I was mad at us.

I have henceforth decided not to criticize any leader again. I will work doubly hard on becoming the person I want to see in society. I will dedicate the rest of my life to changing myself, my family, my community then the larger society. I will henceforth channel my evolution towards becoming a better human being.

I DIDN'T KNOW I WAS SO EMOTIONALLY BANKRUPT.

SPARK! Let's change it.

for more insightful articles please visit www.facebook.com/sparkchange and follow @ltspark

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Our Culture Robbing Us Of Empathy? by swaggzo(m): 11:29am On Mar 24, 2015
Humanity is what makes us humans, its our natural Superpower.
Re: Is Our Culture Robbing Us Of Empathy? by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 12:29pm On Mar 24, 2015
Thd blame game is the worst
Re: Is Our Culture Robbing Us Of Empathy? by mkpakanaodogwu(m): 12:30pm On Mar 24, 2015
Mode fp please

(1) (Reply)

Tradition Or Child Abuse? / A Must Read!! Men Spend More Time Gossiping Than Women – Research / Charmian Gooch: Watchdog Of Corruption

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.