Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,090 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:28 AM

The Midnight Sun - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Midnight Sun (4404 Views)

My Take On Chimamanda "Half Of A Yellow Sun" Does Anyone Feel The Same Way To? / The Midnight Bells.. Short Story / The Midnight Visitor (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 8:25am On Mar 25, 2015
Hello everyone!

Greetings to you all. I've been a silent observer and follower of this section for quite a while, and I must say, I've been impressed with the various works I've seen here. I'm not gonna mention names. This has also motivated me to write my first story, besides the ones I wrote in waec and in my secondary school examinations.

First, a suitable title for this hasn't been gotten yet, but in the long run, I hope I'll be able to come up with one.

Feel free to express your criticisms and advices in the best way possible. This is my first story, and as such, I believe I'm prone to a whole lot of mistakes and there's a lot to be learnt. So, please do not hesitate to do what is best.

I hope you find this interesting. smiley
Re: The Midnight Sun by MRLINGTON(m): 8:28am On Mar 25, 2015
Kulll...we waiting..Nlanders don't criticise we only speak iur minds tongue
Re: The Midnight Sun by Ezerbullet(m): 8:30am On Mar 25, 2015
Victoriousvic:
Hello everyone!

Greetings to you all. I've been a silent observer and follower of this section for quite a while, and I must say, I've been impressed with the various works I've seen here. I'm not gonna mention names. This has also motivated me to write my first story, besides the ones I wrote in waec and in my secondary school examinations.

First, a suitable title for this hasn't been gotten yet, but in the long run, I hope I'll be able to come up with one.

Feel free to express your criticisms and advices in the best way possible. This is my first story, and as such, I believe I'm prone to a whole lot of mistakes and there's a lot to be learnt. So, please do not hesitate to do what is best.

I hope you find this interesting. smiley
we are waiting for you smiley
Re: The Midnight Sun by LogoDWhiz(m): 8:33am On Mar 25, 2015
Ride on bro!

I trust u to deliver
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 8:40am On Mar 25, 2015

"I'll have the diamond ring over there" I said, pointing at a ring that glittered just as bright as the sun. They say all that glitters is not gold. Well, most times, it could be diamond.

I was certain Anita was gonna love it. You might be wondering, who the hell is Anita? Well, She's my girlfriend. We've been dating for 2 years, and tonight, I'm gonna take our relationship higher. Yeah, you guessed right. I'm gonna propose to her. Boy! Am I excited!

"That would be five hundred thousand naira, sir" said the sales representative.

"Okay. Here, have my credit card." I said, handing it over to him and still thinking about how tonight is gonna be. Right now, I'm just too excited to actually realize how expensive the ring costs, but in this case, the cost doesn't matter. Anita deserves the best. This is gonna be one night I don't think I'll forget in a hurry, and neither should she. I'm gonna take her to one of the most expensive restaurants in town, and in the course of our dinner (or after, lest she chokes outta surprise), I'll propose to her. My idea of the perfect proposal.

"Done sir. Here's your card. Thanks for doing business with us."

"You're welcome."

"Have a nice day, sir" says the sales representative as I turn to leave, to which I reply with a nod.

Walking briskly out of the jewelry store, and into the car park, I quickly get into my 2008 Honda Accord and stop to admire the ring once more. "Yup. She's definitely gonna love this" I say to myself, grinning from ear to ear. With the ring back in its fancy box, I start the ignition of my car and pull out of the parking lot, beginning my journey home, to spend my last time as a 'boyfriend'.

"Guy, what's up? Got it?"

That's my friend, Edet, who's calling to check up on me and know the progress I've made. He's the only one who knows about my big plan for tonight. Edet is my closest padi. I call him "The twin brother I never had". We work together as Medical Doctors at the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital, different specialties though. I'm a radiologist and He's an ophthalmologist.

"Yes o. I just left the store, and I'm driving home."

"Good luck, man. Just do your thing and call me later to tell the good news."

"Haha. Sure will, bro. Thanks a lot"

"No fall my hand o"

"Hahaha. For what na?"

"Alright man. Later." and He ends the call.

Right now, what's better than turning on your CD player, raising the volume and jamming to American Authors "Best Day of My Life"? I'll answer that. Nothing.

This is truly gonna be the best day of my life.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 9:28am On Mar 25, 2015
Time: 9:02pm
Eri's Executive Eatery

One of the top restaurants in the city, and this is where it's all going down tonight. We've just finished our meal, and ...

"I must say, Dan, this has been one of my best nights ever," She said with a smile, that warm smile that melted my heart the first time we met.

Well, you ain't seen nothing yet, baby.

"The best is yet to come." I said, flaunting my perfect 32.

"Really? Wow. I can't wait. So, what's it?"

"Baby," I began, extending out my right hand to hold hers, and in my best lover's tone, I doused her with a bucket full of words which I knew would make any girl melt. As she was dripping into a puddle with her 'awwws', I pulled out the ring, went down on one knee, and said the words that most men love to dread.

"Anita, would you marry me?"

At this point, we were at the centre of attention of everyone in there. It was like the whole world stood still for us.

"Oh my God! Dan, this is beautiful." She said covering her mouth with her right hand.

I knew this would happen. Who wouldn't marvel and be awed by a shimmering and glittering beautiful diamond ring such as this, which is worth half a million naira?

"But," She continued

Wait, what? Did I just hear a but?

"I'm sorry, Dan, but can we talk about this?"

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 9:38am On Mar 25, 2015
Present sir! grin
Re: The Midnight Sun by okotv(m): 9:53am On Mar 25, 2015
nice work you've got there.
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 9:57am On Mar 25, 2015
Present

*grabs popcorn* tongue
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 10:25am On Mar 25, 2015
Present sir

This is awesome

Keep 'em coming
Re: The Midnight Sun by LogoDWhiz(m): 10:42am On Mar 25, 2015
Wow!

Interesting!

With all d signs, she didn't say Yes.
Suspense.

Looking forward to her reason
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 9:50pm On Mar 25, 2015
Are you kidding me? Those are definitely the worst words any man would want to hear after making a proposal.

“Dan, You know I love you so much” she began, although deep down in my head, there was a war of ideas going on, on how to get out of this mess. Mind you, I was still on my knees and now at the centre of pity of everyone. I briefly thought about getting up, walking straight up to the kitchen and stabbing myself with a knife. Great job Anne!

“It’s just that I don’t think I’m ready for marriage yet.”

Really?!

“Dan, please get up. People are staring at us.”

“Dan, are you listening to me?”

Without an answer, I stood up, picked up my keys and headed out towards the door with Anita following behind and her shouts of “Dan, wait!”

Finally, I stopped and turned to face her, hoping to hear whatever story she had cooked up to explain what she had just done.

“Dan, can we go back to my place and talk about this? Please?”

“I prefer we talk about it here”

“No. Everyone’s still looking at us. I think we need to get out of here.”

“Oh, really? I don’t think they’d still be staring at us, if you’d only said yes.” I said, raising my voice.

“Are you screaming at me? What’s gotten into you, Dan?”

“Now it’s about me huh?”

“You’re just being childish, Dan, and you know it.”

“Just get in the car” I said.

The drive to her place was as awkward as it could get. No words escaped from our lips and we just sat there in silence. I tried turning on the CD player, but I couldn’t bear listening to the songs I’d selected for the 'triumphant drive' back home. This was no triumphant drive. I’d rather call it the drive of shame.

We got back to her place, and although she wanted us to talk, it actually meant she was gonna do the talking, and I, the listening and that’s exactly what happened. She kept talking for over 30 minutes, and at a point, I dozed off.

“I’m glad we could pull this off our chests,” she said, with her voice arousing me from my sleep.

“Oh yeah. Whatever.”

“Are you still mad?”

“No. I’m happy my girlfriend rejected my proposal. Oh joy!” I retorted in my best sarcastic voice.

“Come on, Dan..”

“Goodnight Anne.” I said, getting up to leave.

2 Likes 3 Shares

Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 8:25am On Mar 26, 2015
Endeavour to update More frequently and dont just make everything plain, make sure there's always a moment of 'Euphoria' in each episode.... Ride On!
Re: The Midnight Sun by Bellalistic(f): 9:32am On Mar 26, 2015
I suggest you make your work more lenghty, humorous, Add suspense...

Any way,Nice one for a start. smiley
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 10:59am On Mar 26, 2015
One word; Beauuuutiful Starting. Really nice. cool
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 9:20pm On Mar 26, 2015
Nice one. Try giving more details of the scene, dressing and such likes...it gives more colour and imagery. lipsrsealed
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 8:46am On Mar 27, 2015
Thanks for the comments guys.

All points and corrections have been duly noted.
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 9:04am On Mar 27, 2015
That anita girl ehn..
Re: The Midnight Sun by brennyB: 7:29pm On Mar 27, 2015
FOLLOWING grin
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 2:22am On Mar 28, 2015
‘Hey baby. I’m really glad we talked last night. Are you free tonight? Can you come over to my place for dinner?’

“No way in hell,” I muttered, dropping my phone on the table. That was a text message from Anita and I made a mental note to remember not to go over to her place in the night. Besides, I was actually at work and needed no disturbance from anyone. At least, not from Her.

“Nancy Ana” I yelled out, calling my next patient to come in for her ultrasound scan. “Nancy,” I yelled out again, and a young lady walked in. She was an absolute beauty to behold. She was slim, had a long black hair, amazing curves, average height and a smooth chocolate skin that Unilever group of companies would love to use in advertising their cosmetics. I kept staring at her for a while, and she noticed it and let out a cough and said "Good day sir"

“I’m sorry, please have a seat,” I said, returning to my senses, but still taking my time to assess and admire her. She had all the right stuff in all the right places.

“So, Miss Nancy,” I continued, glancing through her file, “You’re here for a renal ultrasound.”

“Yes,” She replied, in a voice that was pleasing and soothing to the ears. I couldn’t help but smile, and she caught me smiling.

“Did I say something amusing?” she asked

“No dear. You didn’t.” I said. "I'll like to ask you a couple of questions regarding your family. Has anyone in your family been diagnosed with a kidney stone?

"No"

"Hypertension? Heart disease? High blood pressure? Diabetes?"

"No"

“Okay. You know, I’ll like you to go into that room over there” I said, pointing at a little cubicle in the room, “and change into the gown you’ll see there.”

Without a word, and just a nod, she got up and went in there as I’d instructed. A few minutes later, she came out, still looking like a goddess, although with most of her curves hidden beneath the gown.

“Okay.” I began, “I’ll like you to lie prone on the table”

“What?”

“Lie prone. That means I need you to lie with your face and chest down and back, up.”

“Okay” and she did as I said.

I gently applied the ultrasound gel on her lower-back, and moving my transducer across the gel, I began the examination. 30 minutes later, I was done and asked her to change back into her normal attire, watching her walk back to the cubicle closely. She was my last patient for the day, and I couldn’t help but wonder if they’d actually ‘saved the best for last’ in this case. Maybe I could get her number under the pretense of checking up on her. Well, it’s not like her scan revealed any health issues. Then, I thought about Anita and let out a heavy sigh.

“Are you okay in there?” I asked, wondering why she took so long to actually get dressed.

“Yeah, I’m fine” she replied.

Within a minute, she was out and in my best professional voice, I told her to check back the following day for the results of her scan. She said a thank you and left.

“Oh Lord! I forgot to get her number. Good thing I have her file here.” I said to myself, glancing through her file once more and smiling to myself.

After performing routine checks to ensure all equipments had been turned off, I picked up my keys and decided to head home. Once more, I thought about Anita and heading over to her place, but I just decided to forget about her. I got home, prepared dinner and went face down onto my bed. I'd been quite exhausted and this was just what I needed.

I dreamt about Nancy. Can you actually believe that? I believe infatuation should be prescribed as a drug for the depressed. It's one of the few feelings that instantly makes everything else in the world seem trivial. Not even love can do that, most times. In my dream, we were on a date, having a conversation and laughing in between our meal. I was trying to know more about her, like her interests, favorites and hobbies. We were actually having a fun time together, and then, I woke up to the sound of my phone ringing.

It was Anita.

"Hello?" I asked, letting out a yawn.

"Hey Dan. Can we talk?"

"No, it's quite early for that, don't you think?" I asked, looking at the clock in my bedroom. It was 5:42am.

"Look, I feel things aren't still right with us. I believe we can talk and work things out."

"Yeah, sure. Not now though. I'll call you when I can."

"Okay. Bye. Love you."

"Nice one." I said, with a chuckle.

"What's that?"

"Nothing. Love you too. Bye" I said, and putting the call to an end.

I wasn't sure that call was ever gonna happen, at least, not for now. I wish I could tell her I was infatuated with another girl that I didn't even know if she was married, or seeing someone, and all this happened in less than 24 hours. I can imagine how she'd react to that.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Midnight Sun by missterious(f): 5:26am On Mar 28, 2015
Following smiley
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 6:35am On Mar 28, 2015
This is more like it Vic

Kudos!
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 7:21am On Mar 28, 2015
Victoriousvic:
[color=#000099]After performing routine checks to ensure all equipments had been turned off, I picked up my keys and decided to head home. Once more, I though about Anita and heading over to her place, but I just decided to forget about her. I got home, prepared dinner and went face down onto my bed. I'd been quite exhausted and this was just what I needed.
Victor, edit the emboldened.
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 9:33am On Mar 28, 2015
FrancisTony:

Victor, edit the emboldened.
Thanks bro. Done. smiley

1 Like

Re: The Midnight Sun by zyzxx(m): 5:36pm On Mar 28, 2015
Yea, bro Welldone for d Gud work sir
Re: The Midnight Sun by rapmike(m): 5:46pm On Mar 28, 2015
Great work here.
Re: The Midnight Sun by Danhumprey: 8:58pm On Mar 28, 2015
Dan is right here!cool
Re: The Midnight Sun by DrTI(m): 8:43pm On Mar 29, 2015
This is gonna be interesting, FOLLOWING
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 12:45am On Mar 31, 2015
When you have no specific goals for a day, it’s amazing what you can come up with to do.

It’s been days since my last encounter with Anita, both online and offline. Nancy also didn’t return to get her scan results. I guess it’s about time I spoke to Anita again, maybe later. For now, making the best of today, a Saturday, was my major plan. I got up from my bed and took a look outside. Yeah, it was definitely going to be a good day. I got myself cleaned up, put on a shirt and a jeans, grabbed my bag, my earpiece, and walked out the door. Most days, You really don’t need to drive Your car and this was one of those days.

I decided to take a leisurely walk down some streets, as a form of exercise too. I browsed my music player for the perfect soundtrack to this walk. I felt like I needed some good rock music and there it was: Superheroes by The Script. Nothing like a great song to add a mood to life, and my parade across the various streets began. Walking across Satellite Town, I couldn’t help but notice how amazing the environment was.

“How come I hadn’t noticed and appreciated this all this while?” I asked myself, still walking towards Eta-agbor layout. There was just something peculiar about the environment, like there was a certain magic in the air. I decided to keep walking to get some items from a supermarket across the street.

I got there, and halfway through my scanning through to find stuffs I needed I spotted a lady who looked just like Nancy. I squinted a bit to get a better look, but I knew it had to be her. I thought about tapping her on the shoulder, but for no reason, I didn’t. Instead, I just stayed behind her a bit trying to figure out what the probabilities were that it was actually her. Within 5 minutes, she was checking out at the counter and I thought about walking up to her and saying hi or walking and standing beside her for her to see me. Well, none seemed to be a perfect plan, so I kept trailing slowly behind her. Creepy huh?

She checked out, and walked out of the store, standing by the roadside to get a taxi. Damn! Why didn’t I drive my car?
I had to do this now or never. I had to talk to her. I grabbed my bag and the stuffs I’d bought and prepared myself as best as I could. I walked up to her, and with my best inquisitive look, I asked, “Nancy?”

“Oh, Good day sir” she said

“Don’t call me sir. I’m Daniel, but you could call me Dan”

“Okay”

I had never felt silence as awkward as this, besides the silence between Anita and I on the drive to her place after my most embarrassing night ever.

“So, what happened? You didn’t come back to the hospital.”

“I didn’t feel like anymore.”

“Are you joking? What if you had a renal disease or something?”

“Well, I didn’t”

“How do you know that?”

“You just said so.”

“No, I didn’t. Sha, na your health. It’ll do you good to have it though.”

Finally, she let out a smile.

“Actually, I wasn’t feeling too good. I had a little problem.” she said

“Are you okay? How are you feeling now?”

“I’m okay. It wasn’t a health problem though.”

“Hey, can we keep walking while we talk?” I asked, feeling quite uncomfortable standing in a single spot for a while.

“Sure” She said, and we began walking.

“So, what was the problem then?”

“I really don’t know why I’m actually telling you this” she said with a sigh, “I just got out of a relationship that night, and it actually left me devastated.”

“I’m sorry about that”

“Yeah, thanks.”

“I asked my girl to marry me last week, but she said no.”

“Oh my God” she said, with a very sympathetic face like she just wanted to give me a tight hug and squeeze the life out of me.

“It’s fine. Care for a drink?”

“No, thank you.” She said, and we continued walking.

We kept walking and talking about different things from our relationships, her breakup, my proposal to Anita, Anita, my medical career and herself. From our conversation, I found out she was a graduate of Accounting from the University of Nigeria, Nsukka but she owned a boutique somewhere in town. She told me all about her the relationship she was in and how she loved this guy, and because of that, she wasn’t ready to date any guy for now.

She was so completely different than any lady I’d ever met. We kept chatting and walking for a while till she said she had to get home fast as she had a busy day ahead. She invited me over for one of her friend’s birthday party at the Mirage Hotel by 7pm.

“Awesome. I’ll be there” I said, as I held the door of the taxi open for her.

Definitely a good day.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: The Midnight Sun by brennyB: 10:04pm On Mar 31, 2015
Nice work!
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 9:01pm On Apr 01, 2015
Nice updates sir.. Shey y0u n0 go vex if ask f0r anita c0ntrol? Since Nancy d0n dey you f0r mind grin
Re: The Midnight Sun by Nobody: 9:31pm On Apr 02, 2015
jossi994:
Nice updates sir.. Shey y0u n0 go vex if ask f0r anita c0ntrol? Since Nancy d0n dey you f0r mind grin
She go frustrate you o. grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Free Guns, Germs And Steel Audiobook: How Do I Get It? / Checkmate- A Nairaland Competition / Unveil Me, My Love

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.