Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,787 members, 7,810,051 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 07:29 PM

Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. (3405 Views)

°°• Sad And Depressing Truths You Might Not Have Realized°°• / How Many Children Do You Think Is Ideal For A Family In This Current Economy? / Did I Do The Right Thing In This Situation?? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Priceless007: 12:13pm On Mar 25, 2015
Hi Nairalanders please take a little bit of your time to read this and offer me your advice on it. My name is Kevin, I'm 23 and currently living with someone I would call my boss and who equally is like an elder brother to me, he lives with his wife and 2kids and his wife is currently pregnant for their 3rd child, they also have a maid who is a jss3 student. Before now I was living with a friend in a one room apartment which we share the rent payment together. We've known each other for a long time and i used to visit him frequently on weekends and I'll help him with some house chores after which we'll watch European football leagues together for the weekend then I'll leave on Monday morning to my house and then leave for my daily menial jobs. I've been asking him to help me look for a job that will be able to raise me enough money for my rent and save some for my academics because the menial jobs I was doing wasn't raising enough money for both. So he promised to look for one for me since he knows a lot of business men via where he works. So last September on one of my occasional visits I asked him about the job since I was getting tired of doing the one I was doing, he told me he couldn't get me any better job considering the fact that I only have SSCE certificate so he suggested I should move in with him promising to sponsor my education but that it means i would have to give up the job I used to do and concentrate on my studies so I can pass my exams. So I accepted and moved in with him. I have a good waec result and I was suppose to sit for the just concluded Jamb examination but I missed my exam date because of late reprinting of my e-slip. So when I went on the initial examination day and found out I just went home, mad at myself for blowing that opportunity because if my carelessness. So I jus told him I wrote the exam but didn't pass. Now I'm always always at home alone during the day when everyone has gone to work or school respectively, and I feel depressed during this period and I think I'm just sitting all day wasting away my time and recently his wife has started exhibiting attitudes that makes both of us uncomfortable with each other, though I think it might be one of the symptoms of pregnancy stress or so. And I have this habit of gambling or sports betting (depending on what you want to call it) which I'm yet to give up though I think its bad, but haven't been fully convinced that it is (for lack of evidence, whether morally or religiously). And I make some money from it which also disappears as fast as it comes and I do this from the little pocket money he gives me sometimes. And right now I just feel so depressed staying at home doing practically nothing, and I'm torn between the thought of staying here and waiting till next year for another opportunity to try and get into the university, and moving out to get something doing, but the thing is, I don't think I can be living with him and be going out to find something to do. I only have between 10 am and 4pm every weekday. And I'm looking for a way to get myself back on track and make something out of my time, even if it means leaving my boss' house. But currently i have no where in mind to move to and no job to look forward to, though I have a few friends of mine who might want to take me in. So I'm asking for your advice on what next to do since this year is gone already (academic-wise that is). Being alone and idle is so depressing to me, since I'm not the sitting around type of guy. Any suggestion will be gratefully welcomed and you might ask a few questions to assist your contributions too. Forgive my typos and any writing error there might be. Thank you in advance.
(I hope I posted this in the right section, if not RoyalRoy or whoever is in charge here should help me forward it to the right section, thanks)

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Jostico: 12:22pm On Mar 25, 2015
guy i kneel down dey beg you.go find work .e nor mean say you go skul ni go make you genius. Almighty "bill gate" na maths fail am..ok see contesting GMB e go skull.abeg find work, work.an idle man is the devil workshop.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by busky101(m): 12:26pm On Mar 25, 2015

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by darnley16(m): 12:36pm On Mar 25, 2015
Sombody should pls reply him, but I believe u may. Destined for greatness if u only just work hard in every little tthing u do, u say you bet right? You may even create your own betting website, and in this mordern day u'll be surprised wat u could make off that, look at seun for instance
Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Joel3(m): 12:40pm On Mar 25, 2015
your writing skills is quite OK.I am impress but I wish.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Enoquin(f): 12:53pm On Mar 25, 2015
Na youthful gra gra dey do you. Calm down first and think of these:

*What's your life aim? Do you just want to make money first, then get an education or you want an education, then work or you want to combine both?
None is an easy route.

*How best can it be achieved?
Leaving your sponsor's house and staying alone or with friends? Staying with your sponsor?

Personally, I think your boss is nice enough to want to sponsor your education without you having to work yourself to death for it.
However, since you blew this year's jamb and next year is still many months away, approach your boss and tell him you need a daytime job like with a business centre or want to learn a skill. Point out that you do not want to stay idle till lessons for next year's jamb begins. I do not think he will turn down that request.

I don't want to touch on your addiction to sport betting since you do not want any moral or religious view, you might be better off with lessons from experience or not.

7 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by TheSonOfMark(m): 12:55pm On Mar 25, 2015
Erm...Mon ami, I understand the disparaging feelings a young person goes through during the period between post-high school and ante-admission seeking. It could be akin to being in a limbo where time becomes completely immaterial.

Years ago while awaiting admission, I filled my time by taking high school students on biology, chemistry and geography tutorials. Though I was paid stipends but it kept me occupied. I also horned my writing skills and explored the literatti in me. When I eventually got admitted, all of the aforementioned and more helped me become a more rounded, educated student which stood (and still stands) me out amongst my peers.
I suggest you do same or similar. Just my two cents.

Cc: Missclasssy
Mizmycoli

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by goodmorning40: 12:55pm On Mar 25, 2015
Pls don't give that ss2 house girl there belleoo don't impregnate her because I know that will be the next story this one ure singing song of depression

5 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by MizMyColi(f): 12:57pm On Mar 25, 2015
TheSonOfMark:
Erm...Mon ami, I understand the disparaging feelings a young person goes through during the period between post-high school and ante-admission seeking. It could be akin to being in a limbo where time becomes completely immaterial.

Years ago while awaiting admission, I filled my time by taking high school students on biology, chemistry and geography tutorials. Though I was paid stipends but it kept me occupied. I also horned my writing skills and explored the literatti in me. When I eventually got admitted, all of the aforementioned and more helped me become a more rounded, educated student which stood (and still stands) me out amongst my peers.
I suggest you do same or similar. Just my two cents.

Cc: Miss classsy
Mizm ycoli

Dittoedsmiley
Good Afternoon MissClasssy
Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by jaybee3(m): 1:04pm On Mar 25, 2015
You are abled body Mr so get your lazy ass up to go find work and stop feeling sorry for yourself.
Nothing stops you from working as a customer service assistant at eateries or any of the shops at the numerous malls scattered around Lagos.

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Priceless007: 1:16pm On Mar 25, 2015
Thank you all for your thoughts and suggestions so far, I'll really appreciate more thoughts as I shed more lights on the current situation.
@Enoquin, I appreciate your thought, but the thing is, I am not basically at home doing nothing, If you read through my post, I stated the limited time I have, 10am to maybe 4pm. And often times, in between those hours he calls from the office and sends me on errands that might gulp up almost all that time, and some days I have to always be at home from 2:30 so as to look after the kids when they get back from school up until 5pm or so before the maid comes home from school.
@Jaybee3, I would really love to work, in fact I'm not the lazy type of guy and I used to work before now. But the thing is, what I'm considering now is the long term and future effect of leaving him to start working on my own again or staying put.
@thesonofmark, I get your point, and I'm guessing your situation was not as mine, considering whom you were living with. Thanks for your thoughts though.
@goodmorning40, thanks for the advice, I'm not such a type though, besides she's a minor.
I'll welcome and appreciate more thoughts and advice though.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by jaybee3(m): 2:08pm On Mar 25, 2015
Priceless007:

@Jaybee3, I would really love to work, in fact I'm not the lazy type of guy and I used to work before now. But the thing is, what I'm considering now is the long term and future effect of leaving him to start working on my own again or staying put.

Well you can’t really leave certainty for uncertainty at the minute simply because you had be taking too much risk without having any buffer whatsoever

You need to do the following:
1) Think deeply to arrive at an answer to the “Where I see myself in the next year or two” question
2) You need to have a plan in place in order to achieve the goals in point 1
3) You need communicate your expectations and goals to the dude that’s currently helping you.
4) You need to stop betting as a matter of urgency as you are more closer to destruction than salvation with bookies as your backbone
5) You need to cultivate the habit of savings
6) You need to stop feeling sorry for yourself and believe you shall rule/shape your own destiny

Good luck

4 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Nobody: 2:22pm On Mar 25, 2015
Priceless007:
Hi Nairalanders please take a little bit of your time to read this and offer me your advice on it. My name is Kevin, I'm 23 and currently living with someone I would call my boss and who equally is like an elder brother to me, he lives with his wife and 2kids and his wife is currently pregnant for their 3rd child, they also have a maid who is a jss3 student. Before now I was living with a friend in a one room apartment which we share the rent payment together. We've known each other for a long time and i used to visit him frequently on weekends and I'll help him with some house chores after which we'll watch European football leagues together for the weekend then I'll leave on Monday morning to my house and then leave for my daily menial jobs. I've been asking him to help me look for a job that will be able to raise me enough money for my rent and save some for my academics because the menial jobs I was doing wasn't raising enough money for both. So he promised to look for one for me since he knows a lot of business men via where he works. So last September on one of my occasional visits I asked him about the job since I was getting tired of doing the one I was doing, he told me he couldn't get me any better job considering the fact that I only have SSCE certificate so he suggested I should move in with him promising to sponsor my education but that it means i would have to give up the job I used to do and concentrate on my studies so I can pass my exams. So I accepted and moved in with him. I have a good waec result and I was suppose to sit for the just concluded Jamb examination but I missed my exam date because of late reprinting of my e-slip. So when I went on the initial examination day and found out I just went home, mad at myself for blowing that opportunity because if my carelessness. So I jus told him I wrote the exam but didn't pass. Now I'm always always at home alone during the day when everyone has gone to work or school respectively, and I feel depressed during this period and I think I'm just sitting all day wasting away my time and recently his wife has started exhibiting attitudes that makes both of us uncomfortable with each other, though I think it might be one of the symptoms of pregnancy stress or so. And I have this habit of gambling or sports betting (depending on what you want to call it) which I'm yet to give up though I think its bad, but haven't been fully convinced that it is (for lack of evidence, whether morally or religiously). And I make some money from it which also disappears as fast as it comes and I do this from the little pocket money he gives me sometimes. And right now I just feel so depressed staying at home doing practically nothing, and I'm torn between the thought of staying here and waiting till next year for another opportunity to try and get into the university, and moving out to get something doing, but the thing is, I don't think I can be living with him and be going out to find something to do. I only have between 10 am and 4pm every weekday. And I'm looking for a way to get myself back on track and make something out of my time, even if it means leaving my boss' house. But currently i have no where in mind to move to and no job to look forward to, though I have a few friends of mine who might want to take me in. So I'm asking for your advice on what next to do since this year is gone already (academic-wise that is). Being alone and idle is so depressing to me, since I'm not the sitting around type of guy. Any suggestion will be gratefully welcomed and you might ask a few questions to assist your contributions too. Forgive my typos and any writing error there might be. Thank you in advance.
(I hope I posted this in the right section, if not RoyalRoy or whoever is in charge here should help me forward it to the right section, thanks)

how old are u??

where are ur parents?
just leave d house and get a legal means of livelihood...

I think you are very careless though.
Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Godmother(f): 3:46pm On Mar 25, 2015
Op, you seem quite level-headed. Its a good thing you have someone who wants to take on your education training, but since you missed waec this year why not talk to your uncle and makehim understand how you feel just sitting down at home each day. Explain to him your desire to get a job you can do till the next jamb date.

Idleness can make anyone go crazy over time and I'm sure that's what you are beginjng to experience

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by emilyone(f): 3:57pm On Mar 25, 2015
Op, where are your parents, you did not mention them in your post undecided
Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Wendy80(f): 4:15pm On Mar 25, 2015
U are quite level headed. I think u shd talk to Ur boss and make him understand u need to go out and do somethn for yourself. Look for a menial job, (some banks are even using ssce holders as BVN officers now)
If u don't move ur Azz now, u MAY end up having issues with the Wife. Its difficult for some women to accommodate pple in their house how much more an 'Idle' one who stays @ home all day.
Look for something pls to reduce ur hanging around the house just explain nicely to ur boss. All d best Dear.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Priceless007: 4:32pm On Mar 25, 2015
Thanks ya'll for your contributions and ideas, though I haven't really gotten the precise solutions yet, but I've been able to create a line of thought and a picture of what my next steps should be from your ideas so far.
More thoughts and ideas are welcomed though, more precise ones too wink. Thanks again
Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Priceless007: 4:39pm On Mar 25, 2015
emilyone:
Op, where are your parents, you did not mention them in your post undecided
My dad is late, and my mum lives in some area of PH with my siblings, they aren't too buoyant financially, they've been living Ok though, so I just thought it wise to relieve them of some stress by moving out... The time is overdue already.
Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Priceless007: 4:56pm On Mar 25, 2015
Wendy80:
U are quite level headed. I think u shd talk to Ur boss and make him understand u need to go out and do somethn for yourself. Look for a menial job, (some banks are even using ssce holders as BVN officers now)
If u don't move ur Azz now, u MAY end up having issues with the Wife. Its difficult for some women to accommodate pple in their house how much more an 'Idle' one who stays @ home all day.
Look for something pls to reduce ur hanging around the house just explain nicely to ur boss. All d best Dear.
Thanks a lot. But the problem now seem to be the limited period of time in a day that's available for me like I stated in the earlier posts above. If I was on my own, I would make out enough time for job ideas. But being under his command I have to take care of some things and chores at home when they leave for school and work respectively, and have to be available when the children should be home from school.
So even if I would be allowed to do something it must have had to be something that wouldn't interfere with the little help I render him on daily basis. Else I might turn out to be a total liability to him.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Gboliwe: 6:02pm On Mar 25, 2015
Priceless007:

Thanks a lot. But the problem now seem to be the limited period of time in a day that's available for me like I stated in the earlier posts above. If I was on my own, I would make out enough time for job ideas. But being under his command I have to take care of some things and chores at home when they leave for school and work respectively, and have to be available when the children should be home from school.
So even if I would be allowed to do something it must have had to be something that wouldn't interfere with the little help I render him on daily basis. Else I might turn out to be a total liability to him.

In other words, you are the houseboy. Well, concentrate on being the very best houseboy he ever had.
Before you started living with him, weren't those kids going to school, coming back and being cared for? Before you moved in with him, those errands he asks you to run occasionally, who was running them? Abi you had to leave your menial job to run them for him? If you are comfy being the good houseboy, well, nothing to say. But if you really want to help yourself, you have to talk to your uncle. He was once your age and we all know that youths your age bracket shouldn't be left idle to waste. Ask him to help you through a skills acquisition training or a computer training school or better still, if he is into business, you can always go to his shop and help out, that way you can/may acquire some business management skill. Stop wasting this beautiful season of yours. Get busy!

4 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by 1miccza: 4:11am On Mar 26, 2015
You can get a job,save your pay and re write your WAEC someone just suggested a business center or sumfin,do that keep on working and saving till you make your papers
Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Shinatu: 1:09pm On Mar 26, 2015
It is a pity you were careless, the man was ready to support your education and is still ready to do so,your availability to help out with little errands is an advantage to the family.

Even in your parents' house, would you not have to take care of your younger ones, if required?

If you can get a job and send yourself to school next year, please move out and be fully independent as you were before.

but if you still hope to get support from somewhere then you may not be independent yet and 1 year of loosing your indepence is not too much a price to pay in that case.

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by baralatie(m): 1:32pm On Mar 26, 2015
goodmorning40:
Pls don't give that ss2 house girl there belleoo don't impregnate her because I know that will be the next story this one ure singing song of depression
op follow this advice!

1 Like

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Kelklein(m): 6:50pm On Mar 26, 2015
my advice will be for you to get a secondary school around you to apply for a teaching job.. that will be far better than the menial jobs you were doing..?

and stay away from gambling...ain't healthy for a young man of your age and stage.

3 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Messilistic: 11:05pm On Mar 26, 2015
Priceless007:
you write so well. At least for an average Nigerian WAEC holder. Have you taught of teaching. It just might help u know.

4 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by jmoore(m): 12:15am On Mar 27, 2015
Op, why not try National Open University of Nigeria? You don't need Jamb to be admitted. Check www.noun.edu.ng
Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Ewuro4: 12:26am On Mar 27, 2015
Some Nigerians sha...he's using you. What happened to pre-degree program of you failed jamb? If he really wants to help, he should do that for you and stop using you as his houseboy/ apprentice. undecided

OP, you sound level headed and ambitious, You heard the majority.. ..Get off your asś and get a job, save up and stop gambling, for your future.

Good luck!
Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Nobody: 4:25am On Mar 27, 2015
Priceless007:

Not too many people will be this kind to you
Don't lose this opportunity
A man that is not your father or mother takes you under his roof, feeds you,pays you a stipend and has promised to sponsor you in school and you want to leave the house to do what exactly?
You think there are many people like that in life?
Take this time and quit gambling ,that is the source of your restlessness when the high wears off or you will continually have to live from hand to mouth.
But you can choose to listen to anyone who wants you to leave
Ask them to give you a room in their house and see if they will oblige you
Your life

7 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Nobody: 4:42am On Mar 27, 2015
Ewuro4:
Some Nigerians sha...he's using you. What happened to pre-degree program of you failed jamb? If he really wants to help, he should do that for you and stop using you as his houseboy/ apprentice. undecided

Good luck!

This is absolute rubbish!!
That man is a God sent

2 Likes

Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by cococandy(f): 4:42am On Mar 27, 2015
I can't wrap my head around the fact that you gamble with your pocket money.

If you get your Own money and house won't you gamble them away?
Pls stop that habit o. Don't look for whether it is a sin or not to convince you to stop. This is not about morality. It is about not being the architect of your own doom.

You can get a small job if you really want to. When you do,you can fit the errands and house work you do around the job schedule.
Re: Please Help! My Current Situation Is Depressing. by Ewuro4: 4:58am On Mar 27, 2015
babyosisi:

This is absolute rubbish!!
That man is a God sent

What is rubish? That I stated my opinion & what I thought the boss is doing? State your own opinion, it is not a competition , it's a free world.

I read your initial post before you modified it by the way, I hope say the craze wey enter your empty brain don dey affect your gross motor skills (Parkinson's) .. I've warned you severally to desist from quoting/referring to me. Are you insane Beatrice or you want to start what you can't finish??

stupid woman lemme finish cooking my supper, I'll get back to your madness and brush it off aggressively for you. Anofia. Shameless goat.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nairalander And Wife After Easter Church Service / Should I Build With Her Or Do It All Alone? / Should I Sell My House? I Am In Debt Of 2.3million Pls Advice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 164
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.