Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,216 members, 7,818,730 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:19 PM

Why I Don't Like To Donate Blood. - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Why I Don't Like To Donate Blood. (1210 Views)

Where Can I Donate Blood And Kidney And Get Paid / Nigerian Man Offers To Donate His Kidney 2 Man Whose Story He Heard On NTA(pics) / Yola Blast: Hospital Urges Public To Donate Blood (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why I Don't Like To Donate Blood. by 20bc(m): 9:29pm On Mar 25, 2015
I don't like to donate blood cause I do this thing (donate) for free at the end of the day they sell it to people who are in need of it without considering the person that donated the blood(was thinking the blood is going to be given out freely to patience) Please help me out is my reason good enough for me not to donate blood..
Re: Why I Don't Like To Donate Blood. by Nobody: 10:10pm On Mar 25, 2015
20bc:
I don't like to donate blood cause I do this thing (donate) for free at the end of the day they sell it to people who are in need of it without considering the person that donated the blood(was thinking the blood is going to be given out freely to patience) Please help me out is my reason good enough for me not to donate blood..
Well in most cases, ull be saving a life. And u can expect ur reward from God even if they don't compensate or acknoledge u. Its part of contributing to d society too.
Re: Why I Don't Like To Donate Blood. by Sctests: 10:20pm On Mar 25, 2015
20bc:

No you got it wrong.Let me educate you.
During blood donation a lot screening is done to ensure that safe is donated.Question about lifestyle and sexual habits are asked. Donor must be considered fit.
Series of tests such as Syphilis[VDRL], Hepatis B.and C and HIV tests are done on the donor blood before it can be certified safe for tranfusion. Three phases of HIV tests alone may be done to rule out the presence of the virus-Determine, Stat pack and ELISA.

ELISA test alone costs about 5,000 naira, throw in other tests on HIV, Hepatitis and VDRL and the lab would have spent about N10,000 on that pint of blood. There is also the expensive cross-matching test, add that too. All these costs are serviced by the blood bank lab. Some labs even spend up to N20,000 making a pint of blood is safe.Safety is key.

Now blood is priceless, monetary value can not be placed on it. It is life. So when a patient's relative walks into lab reception to ask for blood, he will be paying for the COST OF ANALYSING THE BLOOD TO MAKE SURE IT IS SAFE AND ALSO FOR CROSSMATCHING that safe blood for tranfusion. He is NOT PAYING FOR THE BLOOD ITSELF. I think it is fair, Let's be grateful.
Re: Why I Don't Like To Donate Blood. by 20bc(m): 10:54am On Mar 26, 2015
qbd2:

Well in most cases, ull be saving a life. And u can expect ur reward from God even if they don't compensate or acknoledge u. Its part of contributing to d society too.
Apart from reward from God the lab scientist collecting the blood are jerks
Re: Why I Don't Like To Donate Blood. by 20bc(m): 10:57am On Mar 26, 2015
Sctests:

No you got it wrong.Let me educate you.
During blood donation a lot screening is done to ensure that safe is donated.Question about lifestyle and sexual habits are asked. Donor must be considered fit.
Series of tests such as Syphilis[VDRL], Hepatis B.and C and HIV tests are done on the donor blood before it can be certified safe for tranfusion. Three phases of HIV tests alone may be done to rule out the presence of the virus-Determine, Stat pack and ELISA.

ELISA test alone costs about 5,000 naira, throw in other tests on HIV, Hepatitis and VDRL and the lab would have spent about N10,000 on that pint of blood. There is also the expensive cross-matching test, add that too. All these costs are serviced by the blood bank lab. Some labs even spend up to N20,000 making a pint of blood is safe.Safety is key.

Now blood is priceless, monetary value can not be placed on it. It is life. So when a patient's relative walks into lab reception to ask for blood, he will be paying for the COST OF ANALYSING THE BLOOD TO MAKE SURE IT IS SAFE AND ALSO FOR CROSSMATCHING that safe blood for tranfusion. He is NOT PAYING FOR THE BLOOD ITSELF. I think it is fair, Let's be grateful.
Are these test carried out before you donate or after donating.

(1) (Reply)

Total Life Changes?????? / I Need Help From Serious Migraines / Teeth Whitening Tips

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.