Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,845 members, 7,820,939 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 04:12 AM

Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? - Computers (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? (30173 Views)

Why Are Apple Systems So Expensive? / System Administrators, Hook Up with each other / Top 5 Freeware Tools For Cisco Network Administrators (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by temilaw25: 12:10pm On Jan 29, 2009
Does anybody know of any free bandwidth manager that works on windows.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by FBS: 1:29pm On Jan 29, 2009
temilaw25:

Does anybody know of any free bandwidth manager that works on windows.
you may want to try these sharewares but watch out for malwares.

http://www.ksourcerer.org/5810/

http://manageengine.adventnet.com/products/netflow/index.html?OVRAW=free%20bandwidth%20manager&OVKEY=bandwidth%20manager&OVMTC=advanced&OVADID=2896078512&OVKWID=31958227512

PS: Remember google is a good friend of yours. cheesy
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by visitor30(m): 1:35pm On Feb 02, 2009
Hello People am happy to come accross this thread. well don't know if i will call maself a full fledge systems administrator. we're a team of four engineers that working in a small organization here in ph. we have 4 servers and about 60 work stations and staff with individual laptops. I want to say that i love what you all are doing and as a junior colleague in the system, i stand to learn a lot here. I have series of issues , but will take dem one at a time.
Just wanna say, thumds ups to all you guys like bigrover, xanadu, fbs, duduspace, IT guru, and a host of others, you all know urself.
will be back soon,
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by persist: 4:52pm On Feb 02, 2009
I have read through some of the post and people have problems with client/server model kind of a thing.

Wanna run networked environment on your system

I have a Toshiba laptop with Amd tutrion 2ghz clock speed and a 2gb ram

I run Ubuntu Linux and I virtualized Windows Xp(2),Redhat Linux(2) and Solaris (2)

To do this readmore about VirtualBox or you can use Vmware though I heard it hangs But VBox 2.1 is a really good way to network a system in your system.
Hala me if you have more questions.

You don't need 10 systems to work on your networking skills all you need is just one system. cry
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by FBS: 5:43pm On Feb 02, 2009
persist:

I have read through some of the post and people have problems with client/server model kind of a thing.

Wanna run networked environment on your system

I have a Toshiba laptop with Amd tutrion 2ghz clock speed and a 2gb ram

I run Ubuntu Linux and I virtualized Windows Xp(2),Redhat Linux(2) and Solaris (2)

To do this readmore about VirtualBox or you can use Vmware though I heard it hangs But VBox 2.1 is a really good way to network a system in your system.
Hala me if you have more questions.

You don't need 10 systems to work on your networking skills all you need is just one system. cry
I could be wrong but 1 system with other "virtual boxes" cannot give you the nitty griity of system administration.
The very idea that you move from one system to another "physically" has its won effects. moreso if you are just starting.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by xanadu: 6:19pm On Feb 02, 2009
I could be wrong but 1 system with other "virtual boxes" cannot give you the nitty griity of system administration.
The very idea that you move from one system to another "physically" has its won effects. moreso if you are just starting.
@FBS, your post above is spot-on.

I am a strong advocate of virtualisation - I am deeply involved in implementing it, and will always champion the benefits it can bring to any organisation. I fact, I personally believe that server virtualisation and consolidation will (arguably) be the biggest project major companies will be involved in, in the the future, especially with the global economy the way it is now. Hopefully we can share a bit on virtualisation at some point on this thread.

However, I would suggest that it is quite obvious that for someone who is starting out to master the basics of Systems admin, you will most certainly require more than 1 system in your test environment.

Right, so you install a couple of virtual servers and even an XP install in one box - Linux or Windows. How are you going to create a scenario of a user who roams with their laptops and has connectivity issues? Or how will you simulate external users having issues with accessing a web server, from outside your 'test' network? There are many, many issues and reasons why a virtual environement is not the best to learn with. It has its own advantages, of course, but ideally, you want to have at least two systems to fully benefit from your test network. At the very least, if you must virtualise, then get a workstation on its own box, and virtualise all you want on another.

Just my two cents worth.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by kayplus24(m): 8:13pm On Feb 02, 2009
FBS:

I will agree with persist to an extent, if i am to advise someone who is just starting out. It will be a lot cheaper to run a virtual environment with the different platforms. Since you can virtualize both Server and client OS. It is a very good way to brush up your knowledge or do an in-place upgrade before rolling them out to your production environment.
Of course since the host OS controls the hardware, you pretty much lose the benefits of fully customizing hardware/each OS but then again the intricacies of getting guest operating system to run seamlessly on a host is a task by itself.

in other words, whichever way you go. You cant go wrong. One way or another you are going to be confronted with both scenarios in the near future.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by Dovent: 9:11am On Feb 03, 2009
You guys are great, there is so much to learn here, I wish we have a more customised forum for this. I need to know this. The coy I worked for is considering using Lotus or Exchange for messaging. Please can u guys tell me the strenght and weakness of the two.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by kayplus24(m): 2:39pm On Feb 03, 2009
Dovent:

You guys are great, there is so much to learn here, I wish we have a more customised forum for this.  I need to know this.  The coy I worked for is considering using Lotus or Exchange for messaging.  Please can u guys tell me the strenght and weakness of the two.

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=exchange+vs+lotus smiley

Your choice will boil down to what your needs are. Exchange is by far more popular than Lotus Dominos but you will get the argument that Lotus is more secure, but since i am a firm believer that the security of a system is as secure as the person administering it, that is an argument i always throw out the window.
Exchange 2007 made major strides in terms of Unified messaging system but lotus supporter will argue it has an edge with its built-in web conferencing without the need for a third party add-on.
I have limited experience with lotus but i have heard stories from colleagues it can be really unstable, on the other hand i have administered exchange servers for years and some installations i don't even touch for over 4 year apart from installing updates/SP. I like Exchange it works great for me, my main grouse is it's intelligent message filter/spam filtering, which i backup using free mail server solutions with serious filtering rules., but if a vote is being cast, i am all for exchange.

Biggest question for you would be what is your company's requirement, as their are a lot of cheaper or free solutions that may meet your company's needs. Your operating system platform or expertise will play a huge role in your decision.

Google is your best tool to determine the best solution for you.

Good luck
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by xanadu: 5:46pm On Feb 03, 2009
Hmmm, @Dovent, you have touched on a very interesting topic here!

Lotus Notes/Domino or MS Exchange? It could be argued from here to the North Pole and back, but at the end of the day, I guess @kayplus is right here - it all comes down to the specific needs of the organisation.

Having worked with both MS Exchange and Lotus Domino for quite a number of yeras now (in fact, I find myself in an interesting position now, where I work with BOTH applications, using Exchange for messaging and Lotus Domino - 7.01/7.02 - for application development and some web hosting), it is stil not an easy question to answer.

My personal opinion is that both applications have their individual strengths and weaknesses. However, if I had to make a choice between both of them -I would go Domino. Why?

1. With Domino, I have basically several products in one - forum, portal (for example, you can host your own intranet/website), instant messaging, as well as pure messaging. With Exchange, I will need to purchase third-party products to get other features than mail.

2. In my experience, Domino requires fewer patches and much less maintenance than Exchange

3. Replication, replication, replication! This has been one of Domino's greatest features for so many years now - MS only introduced this with Exchange 2007, and that application's replication features, in my opinion, do not come quite close to Domino's. Using replication, especailly for organisations that span multiple geographic boundaries has always been a cost-effective and reliable way to provide up-to-date copies of databases to several sites.

Exchange is a good product, but I wonder if it was just as good as it currently is, but was made by some other manufacturer, would it be as popular? I love Exchange - I am certified by Microsoft on it and have supported it for a while - but when it comes to making a solid decision, I would go for Domino, which has just as good a messaging feature, but also much, much more to offer - plus, the learning curve is not as steep as Exchange.

Do note that the above are simply my personal opinions - again, it all comes down to the needs of your organisation.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by bolar(m): 6:35pm On Feb 03, 2009
This is a lovely idea, Nigeria still have great brains, when you go out and meet peopl, you'll know there're brains, but ae the network engineers welcom in this thread as well, we could all share ideas. Love and God bless our brains
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by FBS: 10:06am On Feb 04, 2009
bolar:

This is a lovely idea, Nigeria still have great brains, when you go out and meet peopl, you'll know there're brains, but ae the network engineers welcom in this thread as well, we could all share ideas. Love and God bless our brains
@bolar, you are certainly welcome. All hands on deck. This is a thread for system administration in its full entirety. Every sysadmin has got to be able to know a little about troubleshooting networks, from LAN to WAN.
You will be surprised that the expectation from a sys admin is higher nowadays to the extent that some clients in your offices will even want you to fix their "electric kettles" or phones. grin
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by mikkyphp(m): 1:27pm On Feb 04, 2009
Hi fellow nairalanders,
@Eng1xq, quite a rich collection of training materials u've got there, i guess anyone interested would have to part wiff some amount of money eh? If you notice this threads' trend, you'll discover we hammer on gaining the experience and less on paperwork. i beleive certifications are necessary but not paramount! for those of us that have proferred some levels of solutions to sys admin issues on the thread, we havent requested any remuneration, we do it cos its what makes us a family since no one is the custodian of "sys admin" knowledge. grin - "iron sharpens iron"
sir, i'd advice your DVD series' of tutorials should be made available to members in the spirit of love that neccessitated the creation of this thread. i am also aware that those materials dont come cheap too.
i strongly suggest we discourage public display of wares and sales on this thread for monetray gain.

i beleive we should set up rules/code of conduct for this SACRED thread.

PS: pls has anyone experience using ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE ENTERPRISE SERVER? i need a rating for this product and please share your experience.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by onlysose(m): 6:45pm On Feb 04, 2009
I havent actually memorised the guidelines regarding postings in this forum.

but I dont see anything thing wrong with displaying tutorial cds for sale. there are stuffs you can learn hear, but dont expect to learn ccna hear. you have to spend money on tutorials or register in an academy.

but what bothers me about this guy is that he has no physical address as in office or home
so I cant deal with him
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by xanadu: 7:14pm On Feb 04, 2009
I havent actually memorised the guidelines regarding postings in this forum.

but I dont see anything thing wrong with displaying tutorial cds for sale.

Neither have I, @onlysose - but I am sure there's a better thread somewhere on this forum where such an ad perhaps might be more appropriate. I know people need to do the odd advert here and there, but it does break up the flow of a thread, doesn't it?

Perhaps the forum admin might be interested in opening up a thread specialy for IT education materials? That might help those who might have items to sell.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by alanbolo(m): 12:18am On Feb 05, 2009
Big ups to the guru in the house,

currently thinking of leaving my Sys admin job for a more mgmt. position but seeing this treads and the contributors, i'm now thinking otherwise. Thanks guys.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by Nobody: 12:24am On Feb 05, 2009
Sorry for the delay, i have cleaned out some messages to make the this thread clean. Adverts should go to the technology market or nairalist.
I advise ppl to read the posting rules, it is important. And to the sysadmins in the house, you are doing a great job - keep it up.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by FBS: 8:50am On Feb 05, 2009
A question to the sysadmins. Most of us know that there are over 20 OS that are not windows. Can you name at least 10 and out of which you should pick your favorite. By favorite I mean, the one you love to troubleshoot most, not the one that works all the time.
PS: Kinda childish, yeah, but all work and no play, makes sysadmin a. . .
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by mikkyphp(m): 9:45am On Feb 05, 2009
OSX
FreeBSD
Linux
Mikrotik
ClarkConnect
Solaris
Symbian
AmigaOS
DYNIX/ptx
HP-UX

My favourite is LINUX!!!!
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by FBS: 10:20am On Feb 05, 2009
@mikkyphp, you won yourself a brand new eCar (any eCar of your choice grin)
but seriously, Linux is good, but its not a lay man's OS. I remember when I first gave it a try, shait, I was cursing cos you virtually have to do everything yourself.

And when you have to administer servervs etc, you in most cases have to make use of commands very much unlike windows.

Anyone who wants to try can get an ubuntu for a start. the FF was my favorite though. cool
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by FBS: 10:42am On Feb 05, 2009
mikkyphp:

PS: pls has anyone experience using ACRONIS TRUE IMAGE ENTERPRISE SERVER? i need a rating for this product and please share your experience.
@mikkyphp, yeah I have used acronis true image and can say that the software itself is not bad but my company eventually went for another product due to the fact that Acronis did not recognise the HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Tape Autoloader. (Need I mention that it was later we realised that there was a tape stuck in one of the slots. We called HP (thanks to carepacks grin,) they came and replaced the Tape Hardware.
me thinks backups to external HD is easier with Acronis as I noticed with the home version.

We eventually went for CA ARCserve r12, which did the job fantastically well. And coupled with the Domino/Lotus plugings, it can also backup your lotus notes. It also allows remote access, backups etc.

Hope that helps.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by mikkyphp(m): 11:02am On Feb 05, 2009
@FBS
thanks for the reply. Well, i deployed acronis yesterday and it worked fine. i particularly love the acronis management console coupled with the acronis server agent - this enables remote administration. i actually remotely cloned my Clarkconnect OS and replicated on another disk. It was perfect and effortless and at record speed!!
another feature worthy of note is the robust nature of the boot disk created from within the util. when you boot the disk, it totally loads the full software unto your RAM, and u can run whateva utilities, and u can remove the cd cos its all loaded into memory. your OS-less harddrive can be resored to a fully functional system in minutes from an external harddrive or any other media from within the package that has a windows OS feel.

they really did a good job. Now i can go to bed with both eyes closed as i will multiplex all my servers including virtual ones - (using acronis Universal restore).

My pain wiff linux at the start was installing apps especially those with dependancies,
Bros, where is my eHyundai Elantra!!!!!!! grin cool
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by FBS: 11:13am On Feb 05, 2009
@Mikkyphp, glad you were able to deploy ATIES and here is your eHyundai Elantra 2009. grin

Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by mikkyphp(m): 11:27am On Feb 05, 2009
@FBS
i need a fully customized version 2.0 eHyundai elantra with GPS and SatNav. I also need a 12 inch LCD panel that has port capabilities for my E71 phone and a usb port for me to watch my favourite TV series "24,gossip girl, Lost, Prison break".

All operating systems should be open source!!
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by FBS: 11:32am On Feb 05, 2009
From my experience and I stand to be corrected, aside the dependency issue with linux, you virtually need to be online (internet connection) to install stuffs/updates, patches etc from repositories of softwares, though of course you can sneakernet  cheesy(i.e burn or transfer on a cd) and mount but you have to know how to do it especially for a starter.

Anyways, the good things is that updates on a Linux machine typically updates the operating system and all of the applications included in that distribution. This is different from Windows, which only updates the operating system itself, and each application is updated separately.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by FBS: 11:35am On Feb 05, 2009
mikkyphp:

@FBS
i need a fully customized version 2.0 eHyundai elantra with GPS and SatNav. I also need a 12 inch LCD panel that has port capabilities for my E71 phone and a usb port for me to watch my favourite TV series "24,gossip girl, Lost, Prison break".
All operating systems should be open source!!
oh , very simple, I will talk to my guys and they can customise one for you with FreeBSD grin
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by bigrovar(m): 1:48pm On Feb 05, 2009
for those on looking for an imaging solution for linux ,  try systemimager ,  it really damn cool,  it allows you to create a master image called a golden client ,  (which is the ideal computer that you want to customize) so what i did was install a vanilla ubuntu ,  customised it installed all the applications and packages needed ,  then i use systemimager to send it to the image server,  (systemimager has a server and a client) you can also configure PXE TFTP boot which would allow you to install over the network. Now i can go to a new system boot it from LAN ,  i select the image i just configured ,  and it pulls it down and installs a complete replica of what i created earlier on the new system ,  systemimager is very cool when u have to install lots of computers,  it also allows for updating ,  for example ,  if I need to apply a patch on all the system,  or an application,  all i do is install the said app on the goldenimage (the configuration image), then from the server i run getimager which would then update the image on the server with just the changes i have made on the goldenimage using rsync,  then from the server i run push update which would deploy the changes to all the clients computers,  although systemimager can be a witch to configure and deploy ,  but its not too hard beside you have google,  and there are lots of documentation online,  more over it doesnt cost much you can contact me for a copy

JUST KIDDING  cheesy ,  ITS AS FREE AS AIR AND SPEECH
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by shinerpoly: 7:45pm On Feb 05, 2009
Well. this is a good topic to share an idea and to solve some problems related to the system administration. This will help other to acquire more knowledge. I am working as Asst. Server Administrator in an Auto Industry . We are managing 11 servers and 270 + clients on our network. So to become system Admin. You must ready to learn some things on your own , read and download some materials on-line and join forum like this. I have found solution to some problems through forum. Also ask questions from others. Let us keep this forum alive by contributing Idea and Knowledge.

Love you all
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by Nobody: 11:27am On Feb 07, 2009
You guys are really doing a great job - keep it up - and lots of ppl are learning.
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by itbillgate(m): 3:50am On Feb 10, 2009
Am a System Administrator too, I work as a Field Engineer for Odua Telecommunications Ltd (O'net), visit my website
www.lcbgroups.org
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by mikkyphp(m): 10:07am On Feb 10, 2009
Fellow sys admins and prospects, dont let the thread die, keep 'em questions coming, shocked
Re: Calling Systems Administrators - Our Own Thread? by Renz(m): 10:36am On Feb 11, 2009
Waooh this is a lovely thread, Am a Sysadmin wiff a IT firm managing 24 Servers and bunch of clients.

Kudos to the originator and y'all for making life easy here, will be back shortly.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Apple Office In Lagos / Ifu Ennada: 'New Car Coming, I Can’t Be Poor Again, Small Girl, Great God' / Checkout 60 Tech Acronyms You Might Not Know Their Meanings

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.