Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,793 members, 7,824,313 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! - Pets - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! (9495 Views)

Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food / Siberian Tiger Befriends Goat Served As Meal (see Photos) / Is It Proper To Castrate Your Dog? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Mikimo(m): 9:22am On Mar 29, 2015
Pls wat kind of homemade meal can I make for moi dog for it 2 get bigger... Or any supplement if Ɣσµ knw any...
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 10:54am On Mar 29, 2015
Homemade meal may require time nd can b a lil stressful.. Get a dry feed(jojo, arion, diamond) nd d likes nd at nytes u can feed indomie waste coupled with fish or chicken head, legs or breast. Ur dog would grow just in time

1 Like 1 Share

Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Seun(m): 11:04am On Mar 29, 2015
I agree with knyte: dry food is best cheap food for a dog. Especially for puppies.

Also, a lot of people feed their dogs with rich/couscous/indomie thoroughly mixed with boiled shawa fish
(the whole fish, including bones for calcium and firm stool and intestines/organs for vitamins)

Dry food is preferable especially those brands that come from countries with high nutritional standards like US and Europe.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Mikimo(m): 12:46pm On Mar 29, 2015
knyte:
Homemade meal may require time nd can b a lil stressful.. Get a dry feed(jojo, arion, diamond) nd d likes nd at nytes u can feed indomie waste coupled with fish or chicken head, legs or breast. Ur dog would grow just in time
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Mikimo(m): 12:48pm On Mar 29, 2015
Tnx bro.. Bh I can also feed em wif rice uhh
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by coolsegun2002: 1:52pm On Mar 29, 2015
Whateva advice u take...if u are cooking..don't give ur dog salt..dnt me ask me why, my vet ddnt tell me why either..she just said salt aint good for dogs...

1 Like

Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 6:01pm On Mar 29, 2015
@seun thanks for the comment... Its not nice when people ignore newbies that are not familiar with feeding methods nd techniques.. We all here to learn
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Seun(m): 6:28pm On Mar 29, 2015
Mikimo:
Tnx bro.. Bh I can also feed em wif rice uhh
Yes, you can feed them with rice but the rice must be thoroughly mixed with something like fish. Rice and Shawa fish is a common combination. However, dry food is better because it has been formulated to contain all the nutrients your dog needs while being quite cheap too.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by arcbay(m): 11:08pm On Mar 29, 2015
knyte:
@seun thanks for the comment... Its not nice when people ignore newbies that are not familiar with feeding methods nd techniques.. We all here to learn
You shld have made up ur mind on feeding before getting d dog in the first instance... Anyways, not too late...

Dryfood mixed with canned, fish do a lot of magic too, also consider animal organs... Would have advised raw but for a newbie, you'll miss it somewhere...

Whatever food u make up ur mind on, always remember, what ur dogs look like tells a lot about the owner... Simple logic

1 Like

Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 7:56am On Mar 30, 2015
arcbay:

You shld have made up ur mind on feeding before getting d dog in the first instance... Anyways, not too late...

Dryfood mixed with canned, fish do a lot of magic too, also consider animal organs... Would have advised raw but for a newbie, you'll miss it somewhere...

Whatever food u make up ur mind on, always remember, what ur dogs look like tells a lot about the owner... Simple logic

Quoted the wrong person, ds is for mikimo not me
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by arcbay(m): 8:25am On Mar 30, 2015
knyte:

Quoted the wrong person, ds is for mikimo not me

Oh sorry bro...
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Nobody: 6:15pm On Mar 30, 2015
Seun:
I agree with knyte: dry food is best cheap food for a dog. Especially for puppies.

Also, a lot of people feed their dogs with rich/couscous/indomie thoroughly mixed with boiled shawa fish
(the whole fish, including bones for calcium and firm stool and intestines/organs for vitamins)

...... Please Seun, NEVER feed your dog(s) with a whole fish bone, if you ever to feed them with fish bones, do make sure they are crushed finely! Before mixing it with their meal, more like in powdery form . I have heard of many dogs that died through the choking of fish bone on their throat, (guess you know how it feels when it happens to us as humans, even just a tiny piece?!) And being animals, you may not know at that point what is going on with them at that particular time, since they can't talk, and they've got no hands to bring it out! I have seen some that blood will be coming out of their mouth, tho most times you may see them eating it with all happiness, but just as humans, 'one day na one day' that it will happen. Prevention is better that cure you know? So if you must feed your dog with fish bone (which is very nutritious and healthy for them tho) make sure it is crushed or pounded before mixing it with their meal. Thanks

2 Likes

Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 12:04am On Jun 17, 2015
modelmike7:
...... Please Seun, NEVER feed your dog(s) with a whole fish bone, if you ever to feed them with fish bones, do make sure they are crushed finely! Before mixing it with their meal, more like in powdery form . I have heard of many dogs that died through the choking of fish bone on their throat, (guess you know how it feels when it happens to us as humans, even just a tiny piece?!) And being animals, you may not know at that point what is going on with them at that particular time, since they can't talk, and they've got no hands to bring it out! I have seen some that blood will be coming out of their mouth, tho most times you may see them eating it with all happiness, but just as humans, 'one day na one day' that it will happen. Prevention is better that cure you know? So if you must feed your dog with fish bone (which is very nutritious and healthy for them tho) make sure it is crushed or pounded before mixing it with their meal. Thanks
Can you feed a pregnant dog with cat fish remnants with the bones?
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by aquadude15: 6:11am On Jun 17, 2015
Pls I want the gurus in the house to check out my feeding formula if I'm on d right path.
I feed my dog white rice but I and palmoil, maggi and titus fish. When the food is cold I mix it with already soaked dry feed that is soft. Any correction pls?
Cc. Seun , knyte , arcbay , prodeegee , bobbysaxxy
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Nobody: 8:23am On Jun 17, 2015
darvic1515:
Can you feed a pregnant dog with cat fish remnants with the bones?
. . . . No, it is not advisable, although it is very healthy for the dog. This happened only last night that a neighbour's dog was growling in pains, when we checked what was going on with her, a family member that came to the house gave her catfish bones to eat, and one got stuck! It was after a series of and long tedious work that the bone was brought out. If you can find a way to ground the bones, good and fine. But the bone i am referring to since is the long bone/the spine bone, the spinal cord bone, hope you get it bro? You can give a dog the whole head of a fish that is big enough to crush by the canine but not those tiny spiky bones.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Nobody: 9:11am On Jun 17, 2015
modelmike7:

i remember when i had a visitor who felt it is ok to feed my dog with the fish bone.
next thing i saw was Rayance running up and down shouting "auuu auuuu", after recovering, she wud go back to it and repeat the process.
funny and risky but i couldn't help by let him entertain us
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 9:33am On Jun 17, 2015
arcbay:

Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 9:35am On Jun 17, 2015
sledjama:

i remember when i had a visitor who felt it is ok to feed my dog with the fish bone.
next thing i saw was Rayance running up and down shouting "auuu auuuu", after recovering, she wud go back to it and repeat the process.
funny and risky but i couldn't help by let him entertain us

Bro, let's see rayance's growth on her thread
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 11:43am On Jun 17, 2015
aquadude15:
Pls I want the gurus in the house to check out my feeding formula if I'm on d right path.
I feed my dog white rice but I and palmoil, maggi and titus fish. When the food is cold I mix it with already soaked dry feed that is soft. Any correction pls?
Cc. Seun , knyte , arcbay , prodeegee , bobbysaxxy
Ur feeding plan isnt bad but u can stop d Maggi and u can add just a pinch of salt to the rice. Rice is good cos it digests well. And when d food get cold u can mix it with pre-warmed rice but won't advise it to b mixed with soaked dry feed. And why soaking it? How old is the dog
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 12:01pm On Jun 17, 2015
knyte:

Ur feeding plan isnt bad but u can stop d Maggi and u can add just a pinch of salt to the rice. Rice is good cos it digests well. And when d food get cold u can mix it with pre-warmed rice but won't advise it to b mixed with soaked dry feed. And why soaking it? How old is the dog

Soaking helps easy digestion.

No matter the age of the dog, when serving hard meal with a soft meal you either blend it or soak it.

If not done, the dog would swallow it in a whole. And u know the thing with digestion...
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by mystery1979: 12:35pm On Jun 17, 2015
knyte:

do you just say a pinch of salt when all I have been hearing is that salt is not good for dogs.hmmmm
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 12:40pm On Jun 17, 2015
mystery1979:
do you just say a pinch of salt when all I have been hearing is that salt is not good for dogs.hmmmm

Too much salt isn't good for them. A pinch won't harm. Tho I don't see the use since salt is for tasting. And dogs judge food by smell not taste.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 2:53pm On Jun 17, 2015
mystery1979:
Dogs still need minerals and salt provides that. That's why I said pinch.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 2:55pm On Jun 17, 2015
Prodeegee:

Too much salt isn't good for them. A pinch won't harm. Tho I don't see the use since salt is for tasting. And dogs judge food by smell not taste.
Salt isnt just for tasting,provides minerals. Ever noticed a dog eating soil? That dog needs more minerals and salt is just a cheap source of it. Salt sound safer dan maggi
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 2:57pm On Jun 17, 2015
Prodeegee:

Soaking helps easy digestion.

No matter the age of the dog, when serving hard meal with a soft meal you either blend it or soak it.

If not done, the dog would swallow it in a whole. And u know the thing with digestion...
True but if it's a dog thats old enough i dont see d problem with d digestion. Wld prefer the dog to exercise its teeth more though
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 3:57pm On Jun 17, 2015
knyte:

Salt isnt just for tasting,provides minerals. Ever noticed a dog eating soil? That dog needs more minerals and salt is just a cheap source of it. Salt sound safer dan maggi
Right, sodium.

Sodium is however toxic to dogs.

Do you know Maggi also has nutrients?
Some with protein.
And less sodium
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 3:59pm On Jun 17, 2015
knyte:

True but if it's a dog thats old enough i dont see d problem with d digestion. Wld prefer the dog to exercise its teeth more though

The dog won't chew...

If you want to exercise a dog's teeth, get chew bones or bones
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 4:36pm On Jun 17, 2015
modelmike7:
. . . . No, it is not advisable, although it is very healthy for the dog. This happened only last night that a neighbour's dog was growling in pains, when we checked what was going on with her, a family member that came to the house gave her catfish bones to eat, and one got stuck! It was after a series of and long tedious work that the bone was brought out. If you can find a way to ground the bones, good and fine. But the bone i am referring to since is the long bone/the spine bone, the spinal cord bone, hope you get it bro? You can give a dog the whole head of a fish that is big enough to crush by the canine but not those tiny spiky bones.

Alright, i always stay with her doe anytime i give her bones, what I'm saying is the calcium rate, you know calcium is not to good for pregnant dogs, I just want to know coz i get the remnant from a friends joint and its almost every night, I've bn given her since when she was 6months old.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jun 17, 2015
darvic1515:

Alright, i always stay with her doe anytime i give her bones, what I'm saying is the calcium rate, you know calcium is not to good for pregnant dogs, I just want to know coz i get the remnant from a friends joint and its almost every night, I've bn given her since when she was 6months old.
. . . . . Okay, i do get you now,maybe i initial thought you were talking about th safety aspect. Dogs pregnancy last for an average 63 days. It is NOT good to feed her too much calcium during pregnancy, especially in the last 2 weeks. But i will advise you stop it outrightly. Although it may be tempting to, but just try to resist it, it causes enclapsia... Just feed her with a good quality normal adult dog food and she will be fine.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 7:17pm On Jun 17, 2015
modelmike7:
. . . . . Okay, i do get you now,maybe i initial thought you were talking about th safety aspect. Dogs pregnancy last for an average 63 days. It is NOT good to feed her too much calcium during pregnancy, especially in the last 2 weeks. But i will advise you stop it outrightly. Although it may be tempting to, but just try to resist it, it causes enclapsia... Just feed her with a good quality normal adult dog food and she will be fine.
Alright bro, thank you I'll do just that, and how about the intestine, I do boil the fish intestine and mix with noodles for her. Is that ok and safe for her aswel?
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Nobody: 8:09pm On Jun 17, 2015
darvic1515:

Alright bro, thank you I'll do just that, and how about the intestine, I do boil the fish intestine and mix with noodles for her. Is that ok and safe for her aswel?
. . . . . . . . The intestine is good for her and that is safe as well as long as it is boiled. I don't share the fact that raw fish/meat (without cooking) with blood should be given to domestic dogs. Not nice.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Bingo Dry Food For Dogs From UAC - What Do You Think? / A Lion Vs A Tiger Which One Did You Think That Will Lose during a fight / Be Very Careful Before You Buy Puppies From Olx (IMAGES)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 58
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.