Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,209 members, 7,839,115 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 02:01 PM

In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! - Pets (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! (9566 Views)

Advice On Local Recipè For Dog Food / Siberian Tiger Befriends Goat Served As Meal (see Photos) / Is It Proper To Castrate Your Dog? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 8:36pm On Jun 17, 2015
modelmike7:
. . . . . . . . The intestine is good for her and that is safe as well as long as it is boiled. I don't share the fact that raw fish/meat (without cooking) with blood should be given to domestic dogs. Not nice.
I 1s tried the raw meat and bone doe, I stopped when the dog was having difficulty to pass stool, turned out to be too hard for her to pass out easily. Thanks bro for ya contributions i appreciate.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Nobody: 10:25pm On Jun 17, 2015
darvic1515:

I 1s tried the raw meat and bone doe, I stopped when the dog was having difficulty to pass stool, turned out to be too hard for her to pass out easily. Thanks bro for ya contributions i appreciate.
. . . . You always welcome bro. Safe delivery to her.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by aquadude15: 5:24am On Jun 18, 2015
knyte:

Ur feeding plan isnt bad but u can stop d Maggi and u can add just a pinch of salt to the rice. Rice is good cos it digests well. And when d food get cold u can mix it with pre-warmed rice but won't advise it to b mixed with soaked dry feed. And why soaking it? How old is the dog
Thanks for your swift response bros. I thought salt isn't good for dog that is why I add maggi to the rice so it can have a good taste. I soak the crunchies so I can easily marsh it with the fish into the rice. My dog is a year old and I just bought him
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by aquadude15: 5:28am On Jun 18, 2015
Prodeegee:

Soaking helps easy digestion.

No matter the age of the dog, when serving hard meal with a soft meal you either blend it or soak it.

If not done, the dog would swallow it in a whole. And u know the thing with digestion...
Big bros thanks for your contribution.
I have a question to ask sir, tho I add titus fish too my dogs food is it advisable to catfish intestine and gills to the meal also cos I can get it in large quantity in my area?
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 8:35am On Jun 18, 2015
aquadude15:

Big bros thanks for your contribution.
I have a question to ask sir, tho I add titus fish too my dogs food is it advisable to catfish intestine and gills to the meal also cos I can get it in large quantity in my area?

I tried it once.

Catfish intestine and gills makes your dog fat. Pretty fat. But also makes your dog sick, so does cow foetus.

I'm yet to come up with a concrete reason as to why. But the facts remain that all breeders that use foetus or catfish gills and intestine to feed mostly have problem with conception in their dogs. Either all foetus is aborted or dam's milk gets contaminated and kills pups within a week.

however, this doesn't say there are no dogs with very strong immune who can survive this, but its a 1/100.

My2cents
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by GRACEGLORY: 11:40am On Jun 18, 2015
Dogs Depend on Protein

Dogs may be omnivores, but they rely heavily on protein to help them survive and thrive. Protein contains essential amino acids that are crucial to the process of cell production. Without enough protein in their diet, dogs can develop a host a health problems. They'll lose energy, their coats will become dull and lifeless, and their immune systems become less capable of fighting off disease.

"Biological value" is a term used to describe how easily dogs can render the available protein from a particular food source and absorb it into their systems. Foods that have a high biological value are the best protein sources for dogs because they are the easiest to digest. When the food is thoroughly digested, the dog gains as much of the available protein as possible. Foods that contain a lot of protein yet have a low biological value are not easily digested by dogs, and so they aren't a good source of protein.

There are hundreds of dog food formulas available on the market. Thebest brands use protein sources with a high biological value, while the worst base their formulas on low biological value foods. There are also a range foods in between that include both high and low biological value foods. Why such a difference? High value protein sources often cost more, while low value proteins are cheaper, more cost effective and still meet pet food guidelines for minimum protein content even though a dog can't digest the food well enough to absorb the protein that is in it.

With this in mind, compare the following protein sources commonly found in a wide variety of commercial dog foods.

Superior Protein Sources for Dogs

Eggs may not immediately come to mind when considering the best protein sources for dogs, but they are an excellent source of protein and are included in some dog food formulas and many homemade diets. You may even be surprised to learn that eggs are a better source of protein than meat since a dog can render more protein from them as long as they are cooked.

Fish

When it comes to feeding fish to a pet, most people tend to think of cats. However, fish also provides an excellent source of protein for dogs as long as it is cooked. Many prominent dog food brands offer formulas that contain fish or fish meal, and salmon is usually the fish of choice since it is high in omega-3 fatty acid.

Real Meat

You'll see numerous ingredients listed on a dog food label, and it's sometimes difficult to determine exactly what some of those terms really mean. However, there's no mistaking a real, named meat when you read it. Real meat is the most natural source of protein a dog can consume; it's what his digestive system was designed to eat as evidenced by his wild ancestors.

Some of the most common meats included in dog diets are:
Real Meat: Beef, Duck, Chicken, Turkey, Liver, & Venison.

There seems to be a bit of confusion over whether meat meal is a good source of protein for dogs. To be clear, meat meal is not the same thing as a meat by-product.

Meat meal is real meat that has been dried and pulverized into a gritty powder. Removing both the water and fat from the meat leaves a very concentrated source of protein that is added to a dog food formula to boost the protein content. Meat meal is actually very digestible, and this means a dog can render more nutrition from it than from an inferior source of protein. The more efficiently a dog can digest his food, the less waste he produces.

Cheese

Although you won't find an overwhelming number of dog food brands that include cheese in their formulas, it is a very viable source of protein for canines. While regular cheese and cottage cheese both contain protein, they contain different amounts of fat. If you have a dog that could use a lower fat diet, cottage cheese is the better choice.

Inferior Protein Sources Meat By-Products

Meat by-products are what's left of a carcass after the main meat has been stripped from an animal. Although there is some protein to be found in these leftovers, they are generally much less digestible for a dog. He can consume them, but the protein will pass through his system largely undigested and simply contribute to a larger volume of stool.

Some examples of meat by-products include:

BeaksCorn and Wheat

It's true that you can feed a dog corn or wheat and he'll render a little protein from these foods, but the protein in these grains are very difficult for dogs to digest. This means brands that use corn, corn meal, wheat and wheat gluten as main protein sources technically meet industry standards for protein content. However, they cannot actually deliver all the protein promised because dogs can't digest these foods efficiently. A good deal of the protein passes right through the dog's system unused.

Now Check Your Dog's Food

With a clear understanding of just how digestible and, therefore, more nutritionally valuable a particular source of protein can be, check the ingredients label on your own dog's food. Those ingredients are listed by volume from highest to lowest, and those first five ingredients are often the most important because they list the type of protein used as the main component of the formula. Regardless of its reputation or marketing, does your current brand use high value or low value protein sources? Depending on what you see, you can either continue to feed your dog that brand with confidence or decide it's time to look for a healthier brand.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 12:21pm On Jun 18, 2015
modelmike7:
. . . . You always welcome bro. Safe delivery to her.
Thanks bro, pls which multivitamin will u recommend someone told me I should not give her vetzyme, she's 5weeks pregnant now and she doesn't eat as she used to be when she's not pregnant.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by aquadude15: 12:41pm On Jun 18, 2015
Prodeegee:

I tried it once.

Catfish intestine and gills makes your dog fat. Pretty fat. But also makes your dog sick, so does cow foetus.

I'm yet to come up with a concrete reason as to why. But the facts remain that all breeders that use foetus or catfish gills and intestine to feed mostly have problem with conception in their dogs. Either all foetus is aborted or dam's milk gets contaminated and kills pups within a week.

however, this doesn't say there are no dogs with very strong immune who can survive this, but its a 1/100.

My2cents
I appreciate big bros
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Nobody: 2:13pm On Jun 18, 2015
darvic1515:

Thanks bro, pls which multivitamin will u recommend someone told me I should not give her vetzyme, she's 5weeks pregnant now and she doesn't eat as she used to be when she's not pregnant.
. . . . Do not change her diet now, don't give her vitamins until the puppies are born, instead, make sure her diet is as good as you can make it... You can add fresh veg for trace minerals and vitamins, and meat for extra proteins. DO NOT give her milk or calcium supplements also, her body is already generating enough calcium and milk and if you give her too much, it can affect her puppies. As long as she is on a good diet, its all good, giving her supplement will only cause an Overdose of vitamins which can cause illness.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 2:41pm On Jun 18, 2015
darvic1515:

Bitc.h pills, or folic acid.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 2:43pm On Jun 18, 2015
modelmike7:
. . . . Do not change her diet now, don't give her vitamins until the puppies are born, instead, make sure her diet is as good as you can make it... You can add fresh veg for trace minerals and vitamins, and meat for extra proteins. DO NOT give her milk or calcium supplements also, her body is already generating enough calcium and milk and if you give her too much, it can affect her puppies. As long as she is on a good diet, its all good, giving her supplement will only cause an Overdose of vitamins which can cause illness.
Ok bro thanks a bunch, as of now I give her diamond pup food mixed with noodles and boiled cat fish intestine, and i give her catfish remnants @night.
Here's my bbm and whatsapp(283210E2, 08077303226) pls add me up so I cld have much access to u than on here, Thanks bro God Bless u.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 2:45pm On Jun 18, 2015
Prodeegee:

Bitc.h pills, or folic acid.
is it the normal folic acid they sell @ pharmacy stores?
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 2:58pm On Jun 18, 2015
darvic1515:

is it the normal folic acid they sell @ pharmacy stores?

Yup.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 3:02pm On Jun 18, 2015
Prodeegee:

Yup.
Can you tell me the dosage pls and can I start giving her now? She's 5weeks pregnant today.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 3:11pm On Jun 18, 2015
darvic1515:

Can you tell me the dosage pls and can I start giving her now? She's 5weeks pregnant today.

1tab daily
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 3:46pm On Jun 18, 2015
Prodeegee:

1tab daily
Alright bro, thank you.

1 Like

Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 6:59pm On Jun 18, 2015
aquadude15:

Thanks for your swift response bros. I thought salt isn't good for dog that is why I add maggi to the rice so it can have a good taste. I soak the crunchies so I can easily marsh it with the fish into the rice. My dog is a year old and I just bought him
I believe salt is still good cos at been doing so for years,but it has to b a pinch like I said cos too much of everything is bad. And as for soaking of days cruchies it's nt a bad idea if u dog has digestion issues
aquadude15:

I believe salt is still good cos at been doing so for years,but it has to b a pinch like I said cos too much of everything is bad. And as for soaking of days cruchies it's my a bad idea if u dog has digestion issues
aquadude15:

I believe salt is still good cos at been doing so for years,but it has to b a pinch like I said cos too much of everything is bad. And as for soaking of d cruchies it's nt a bad idea if u dog has digestion issues
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 7:00pm On Jun 18, 2015
Prodeegee:

Right, sodium.

Sodium is however toxic to dogs.

Do you know Maggi also has nutrients?
Some with protein.
And less sodium
Am sure it says too much salt, nt a pinch
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 7:59pm On Jun 18, 2015
Prodeegee:

I tried it once.

My2cents
So you mean to say a catfish intestine is a no no for a pregnant dog?
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by Prodeegee(m): 8:53pm On Jun 18, 2015
darvic1515:

So you mean to say a catfish intestine is a no no for a pregnant dog?

I'm not even saying pregnant dogs now, even before pregnancy.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by darvic1515(m): 9:10pm On Jun 18, 2015
Prodeegee:

I'm not even saying pregnant dogs now, even before pregnancy.

Maybe that's why it took my dam 17months to come on heat. We learn everyday sha, thanks for dis tips bro.

1 Like

Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by tobolos(m): 12:35am On Jun 19, 2015
[color=#006600][/color]Pls beware of fish bones.I ve seen dogs perished by the bones.
No other dog feed can compare with fresh cow Foetus which is high in all the vital nutrients to keep your dogs healthy and speedy development.

Have you stop to think of what makes the dog families(lions,tiger,wolfs,fox etc) to grow strong without human or artificial supplement.

The reason is not far fetch, they derives all what they need from flesh of other animals.

Domesticating our pets doesn't mean we should deprieve them of fundamental feeding needs.

This fresh cow foetus/calf can be served with or without other feed.

You shall observe speedy development within the first week of use.

Another good thing about this flesh is that,no dog can say no to it..

Call us on 08038352849/08051939228 to place your order.
Free delivery for multiple orders.
Location-ota-iju-Agege
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by aquadude15: 4:24am On Jun 19, 2015
knyte:

I believe salt is still good cos at been doing so for years,but it has to b a pinch like I said cos too much of everything is bad. And as for soaking of d cruchies it's nt a bad idea if u dog has digestion issues
Big bros thanks
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 9:53am On Jun 19, 2015
aquadude15:

Big bros thanks
Anytime bro
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by BOUNTYDOG(m): 10:14am On Jun 19, 2015
knyte:

Salt isnt just for tasting,provides minerals. Ever noticed a dog eating soil? That dog needs more minerals and salt is just a cheap source of it. Salt sound safer dan maggi

Its not advisable to give dogs salt or any sauce,I have never added salt to my cooking over the years and they feed well,its partly why I don't recommend remnants for feeding because of the sauce aside other particles like bottle covers or servettes.

I was adviced not to ever gve salt when I bought my 1st dog and ever since I don't.
Said salts make their barks to seize when they bark consistently and I think it works as their barks never seize even if they bark all day 24/7.
I learnt dogs don't have tastebuds dunno how far true this is though!
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by knyte(m): 11:36am On Jun 19, 2015
BOUNTYDOG:

Its not advisable to give dogs salt or any sauce,I have never added salt to my cooking over the years and they feed well,its partly why I don't recommend remnants for feeding because of the sauce aside other particles like bottle covers or servettes.

I was adviced not to ever gve salt when I bought my 1st dog and ever since I don't.
Said salts make their barks to seize when they bark consistently and I think it works as their barks never seize even if they bark all day 24/7.
I learnt dogs don't have tastebuds dunno how far true this is though!
Noted, I guess we all learn a thing or two everyday
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by ayofimihan(m): 4:21pm On Sep 23, 2017
Seun:
I agree with knyte: dry food is best cheap food for a dog. Especially for puppies.

Also, a lot of people feed their dogs with rich/couscous/indomie thoroughly mixed with boiled shawa fish
(the whole fish, including bones for calcium and firm stool and intestines/organs for vitamins)

Dry food is preferable especially those brands that come from countries with high nutritional standards like US and Europe.

Should i add any seasoning to the boiled shawa? is one enough per meal? please reply.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by donmillion(m): 12:12pm On Oct 11, 2019
Eating too much salt can make your dog seriously thirsty. That means a lot of trips to the fire hydrant and it could lead to sodium ion poisoning. Symptoms of too much salt include vomiting, diarrhea, depression, tremors, high temperature, and seizures. It may even cause death.

coolsegun2002:
Whateva advice u take...if u are cooking..don't give ur dog salt..dnt me ask me why, my vet ddnt tell me why either..she just said salt aint good for dogs...
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by TBrenks(m): 12:06am On May 28, 2020
Is this thread still open? I’ve a question to ask.
Re: In Need Of Advice On Proper Dog Meal!! by CrazyCrane: 1:32am On May 28, 2020
TBrenks:
Is this thread still open? I’ve a question to ask.

you never can Tell.
go ahead in asking your question.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Can Someone Help Me With Homemade Dog Recipe??? / What Do You Think Of Pets(especially Dogs)? / How Do I Know My Dog Is On Heat?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 81
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.