Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,128 members, 7,821,864 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:23 PM

Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced - TV/Movies (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced (4231 Views)

Nigerian Movie "30 Days in Atlanta” Gets 10 Nominations In U.S. / 'Two Brides And A Baby' Bags 12 Nominations From Best Of Nollywood Awards / 2011 Oscar Awards Nominations (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by KarmaMod(f): 4:58pm On Jan 29, 2009
One of the many reasons why I respect you vescucci  smiley
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by vescucci(m): 4:17pm On Jan 30, 2009
What's going on in the animations category. I've not seen any of the touted movies but I'm gunning for Wall-E. Bolt sounds good too. I wonder if this is not up you fella's alley. Maybe I should go looking for Spikyn.
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by Gamine(f): 6:27pm On Jan 30, 2009
Gay movies, undecided
Vesc
Gay movies. . . .

Tufia!!
MILK. . . .no pun intended
i like Sean tho.

Well, For the animated features,

i think Wall-E should win, the score was also great and nominated
Kunga fu panda almost got it
Bolt, i dunno, havent watched it, i dont like the dog, seemed funny tho.
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by Gamine(f): 3:02am On Feb 23, 2009
Ok! Its here! P.Cruz, Milk n Slumdog hv already won. Wo, im tired, set to record, gotta sleep!
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by SisiJinx: 6:30am On Feb 23, 2009
My Peeps lost!!! angry angry cry

Wow! Heath Ledger Won!! Did not see that coming at aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaallllll!
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by KarmaMod(f): 6:58am On Feb 23, 2009
I was hoping for an upset. Like Angelina winning Best Actress or TCCBB winning Best movie

Jeez
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 7:43am On Feb 23, 2009
Yay!!!!! Penelope and Sean won!!!!! grin grin grin I don't care about the rest. tongue

Whats with Slumdog winning 8 Oscars? 8? Wetin Happun na? I was expecting TCCBB to win for best picture but it had to go to slumdog. Sisi, this is all your fault! angry
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 5:37pm On Feb 23, 2009
Best supporting actor: Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

Nominees: Josh Brolin - Milk; Robert Downey Jr - Tropic Thunder; Philip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt; Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

Overwhelming favourite Heath Ledger becomes just the second man to win an acting Oscar posthumously. His award is accepted by his parents and sister who in a moving speech describe the award as "humbling".

Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 5:39pm On Feb 23, 2009
Best supporting actress: Penelope Cruz - Vicky Christina Barcelona

Nominees: Amy Adams - Doubt; Viola Davis - Doubt; Taraji P Henson - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button; Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler

Penelope delivered half her acceptance in Spanish but helpfully revealed later what she had said. "I said I wanted to dedicate my award to all the actors in my country," she explained in her press conference. "And all the people who are now watching there who are feeling this also belongs to them."

Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 5:41pm On Feb 23, 2009
Best animated feature film - Wall-E

Nominees: Bolt; Kung Fu Panda

After Toy Story, Ratatouille and the like no one would bet against animation studio Pixar in the best animated category. Writer/Director Andrew Stanton looked pleased as punch with his award.

Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 5:42pm On Feb 23, 2009
Best documentary feature - Man On Wire

Nominees: The Betrayal; Encounters At The End Of The World; The Garden; Trouble The Water

The amazing and inspirational tale of French tightrope walker Philippe Petit's 1974 attempt to walk across a highwire between New York's World Trade Center Twin Towers was a shoe-in for the best doc award.
Star Philippe showed he still had all of his good balance with some neat chin tricks!

Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 5:44pm On Feb 23, 2009
Best adapted screenplay - Slumdog Millionaire

Nominees: The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button; Doubt; Frost/Nixon; The Reader

It was second time lucky for writer Simon Beaufoy - he was previously nominated for The Full Monty - but his work adapting Vikas Swarup's book for the big screen won him the Oscar nod this time and continued Slumdog Millionaire's incredible award season.

Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 5:47pm On Feb 23, 2009
Best actress: Kate Winslet - The Reader

Nominees: Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married; Angelina Jolie - Changeling; Melissa Leo - Frozen River; Meryl Streep - Doubt

Kate wins the award at the sixth time of asking (she has previously been Oscar nominated for her roles in Sense And Sensibility, Titanic, Iris, Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind and Little Children). After calling all her fellow nominees "godesses" Kate admitted she'd been practising her Oscar acceptance speech since she was eight years old. Despite thanking her husband Sam Mendes and her two children. she manages to keep the tears at bay.

Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by Treetop20(m): 5:48pm On Feb 23, 2009
i love her! cheesy
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 5:49pm On Feb 23, 2009
Best actor: Sean Penn - Milk

Nominees: Richard Jenkins - The Visitor; Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon; Brad Pitt - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button; Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler

After wins at the Baftas and this weekend's Independent Spirit Awards, Mickey Rourke was odds-on favourite for the Best actor award. But it was Sean Penn's portrayal of gay rights activist Harvey Milk that won out on Oscar night. During his speech Sean took the chance to speak out against California's controversial Proposition 8 law that bans same sex marriage and told anti-gay protesters who had demonstrated outside this year's awards to "find their better selves".

Good for you!

Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 5:52pm On Feb 23, 2009
Best director: Danny Boyle - Slumdog Millionaire

Nominees: Stephen Daldry - The Reader; David Fincher - The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button; Ron Howard - Frost/Nixon; Gus Van Sant - Milk

Another award for the incredible Slumdog Millionaire as director Dannny Boyle adds an Oscar to the Bafta, Critics Choice, Director's Guild, Golden Globe and numerous other awards he's won for the film. "We tried to make the film like a family unit," he explained to press after his latest win. "It makes the night deeply special for all of us."

Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 5:53pm On Feb 23, 2009
Best picture - Slumdog Millionaire

Nominees: The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button; Frost/Nixon; Milk; The Reader

Slumdog Millionaire capped an incredible night by winning the Best Picture Oscar making it eight out nine awards it was nominated for. The cast were understandably delighted with their prize that marks the end of an incredible haul of over 70 wins this award season.

Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by KarmaMod(f): 6:03pm On Feb 23, 2009
Im glad Penelope won. It was between her and Viola Davis for me.

she should thank God that Kate wasnt nominated for supporting actress for RR else I wouldt be surprised if she would have won that one too.
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by Nobody: 6:05pm On Feb 23, 2009
I've watched none of the nominated movies grin. I plan to see them soon, yeah right.  grin

Anyway the musical with Beyonce and Hugh was quite boring. Not a fan of musicals except "Annie".

What's with Sean Penn's speech? *rolls eyes*

Sophia Loren was scary. lipsrsealed

I was happy for Penelope Cruz though. Loved her speech. cheesy
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by Nobody: 6:11pm On Feb 23, 2009
Why wasn't a movie from the third largest film industry in the world nominated in the foreign film category?
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by kadman(m): 6:23pm On Feb 23, 2009
LAST NIGHT WAS GREAT ! - I love the Oscars,but people I root for never seem to win ( except Nicole Kidman in 2003 ),but last night was a dream. 3 of my people. I've been so pissed Sean Penn wasn't winning any awards and was glad he won. Same for Penelope Cruz,she hadn't been winning anything this season,so I was thrilled when she won Supporting Actress. Then the mighty Kate Winselt ! ! !,she deserves every single awards she's won for that role,when I saw The Reader ending of last year I just knew this was her year and I don't even like her that much. Although i was getting a bit scared,I felt there was going to be some sort of Oscar backlash. And Melissa Leo's performance in Forzen River was getting rave fews ( I've seen a few clips and if it wasn't Kate's year she would have def had a chance )
I don't think Heath Ledger deserved that award,if the man hadn't died he wouldn't be getting any. And was annoyed to see Beyonce performing. I've given up my radio and stopped listening to MTV for a while to avoid that heifer.
It was also great to see people I love who never seem to be at the Oscars - Aniston, SJP & Daniel Craig.
. . . And also love the looks on Brad & Jolie's face when they keep losing every award they've been nominated for this season. Jolie tries to keep her game face on and and smile like nothings up,but you know she wakes up at night screaming Kate! Kate! Damn you Kate!"
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by blissfullynaughty: 12:05am On Feb 24, 2009
stillwater:

Why wasn't a movie from the third largest film industry in the world nominated in the foreign film category?

Maybe because just about all the films that that film industry produces is absolutely crap. By the way, how many films from the second largest industry have you seen nominated? And their films are much better than the Naija ones (not that I watch them either).

kadman:

LAST NIGHT WAS GREAT ! - I love the Oscars,but people I root for never seem to win ( except Nicole Kidman in 2003 ),but last night was a dream. 3 of my people. I've been so pissed Sean Penn wasn't winning any awards and was glad he won. Same for Penelope Cruz,she hadn't been winning anything this season,so I was thrilled when she won Supporting Actress. Then the mighty Kate Winselt ! ! !,she deserves every single awards she's won for that role,when I saw The Reader ending of last year I just knew this was her year and I don't even like her that much. Although i was getting a bit scared,I felt there was going to be some sort of Oscar backlash. And Melissa Leo's performance in Forzen River was getting rave fews ( I've seen a few clips and if it wasn't Kate's year she would have def had a chance )
I don't think Heath Ledger deserved that award,if the man hadn't died he wouldn't be getting any. And was annoyed to see Beyonce performing. I've given up my radio and stopped listening to MTV for a while to avoid that heifer.
It was also great to see people I love who never seem to be at the Oscars - Aniston, SJP & Daniel Craig.
. . . And also love the looks on Brad & Jolie's face when they keep losing every award they've been nominated for this season. Jolie tries to keep her game face on and and smile like nothings up,but you know she wakes up at night screaming Kate! Kate! Damn you Kate!"

I was a bit apprehensive thinking that our beloved Katie might be robbed of the honour at the last moment because of het Golden Globe faux pas, but YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, she got the gong at last. If Angelina take mistake talk nonsense ehn, na Sango go soda that im lips for am. Haba someone don lose 5 times, una wan make am six. Eyin aiye e le jo. About Heath Ledger, I have always said that he was going to get the award just because he killed himself. It seems that that is one way to get a gong especially if you had been denied it in the past when you deserved it [size=5pt](okay, I know that is not true, but it might be worth a shot if you are desperate)[/size]. I was going to suggest that Kate popped her clogs if she lost again this year, but thank goodness, such drastic actions are not necessary. I do however wonder why her nomination came for The Reader instead of Revolutionary Road which was a much better performance. I just feel that they had decided to give the Oscar to her come what may (and I do think she merited it anyhow). As for Slumdog, eight awards. . . now that is quite impressive. And to think that the film was going to go straight to DVD because the big cinemas did not want to show it in the USA. That just teaches us that we should never give up on our dreams.

HURRAH FOR THE BRITS!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by spikedcylinder: 7:46am On Feb 24, 2009
stillwater:

Ahem. What industry might that be? shocked tongue grin
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by KarmaMod(f): 4:55pm On Feb 24, 2009
why would angelina be mad about Kate's Oscar when she got hers years before Kate?
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by blissfullynaughty: 8:36pm On Feb 24, 2009
KarmaMod:

why would angelina be mad about Kate's Oscar when she got hers years before Kate?

Best Supporting Actress and Best Actress are not on the same level at all. It's like comparing best single or song to best album. Moreover, winning an Oscar in the past does not diminish the desire to win another nor does it reduce the disappointment when one loses (you need to check out Bette Davis's bitterness when she was deprived of her third Oscar by the machinations of Joan Crawford).
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by KarmaMod(f): 8:40pm On Feb 24, 2009
Oscar is an Oscar IMO. Just saying out of the women, it's Taraji and Viola that should be "bitter", not Jolie or Streep. Dont know why peoople are acting like Angelina's the only one that could have wanted one. She has one.

Quit picking on her. Evil people. angry tongue She goes home with Brad. That's Oscar enough jare grin

It was funny/weird how they kept showing Jolie while Ansiton was on stage. Rofl cheesy grin
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by blissfullynaughty: 8:48pm On Feb 24, 2009
Okporoko! I was not picking o. I was just saying that she would have been disappointed nevertheless. tongue
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by kadman(m): 9:09pm On Feb 24, 2009
KarmaMod:

Oscar pass Oscar, best supporting actress is nothing compared to best actress. It's like comparing "sometimes" actress Jennifer Hudson's Oscar to the greats.

I love how Jolie keeps on taking roles she thinks will get her an Oscar - A Mighty Heart & co. They didn't even give her a nom then,and nothing now  smiley. FAIL !
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by KarmaMod(f): 10:47pm On Feb 24, 2009
So because she doesnt take stupid roles/star in shitty movies, that means she's dying for an Oscar? 

Is Wanted an "Oscar bait" movie?

Girl Interrrupted is NOT the kind of movies usually noticed by Oscar voters yet she won hers for it

abeg leave the woman alone jare. at least she's a respectable actress unlike Aniston which is why she's alone
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by blissfullynaughty: 11:14pm On Feb 24, 2009
KarmaMod:

So because she doesnt take stupid roles/star in shitty movies, that means she's dying for an Oscar?

Is Wanted an "Oscar bait" movie?

Girl Interrrupted is NOT the kind of movies usually noticed by Oscar voters yet she won hers for it

abeg leave the woman alone jare. at least she's a respectable actress unlike Aniston which is why she's alone

Oh no you didn't. shocked Una tiff person husband finish come dey complain say she day alone. Na wah for una o. Eyin aiye e le o. Though I am fed up of seeing Jen. She should go into hibernation for three years and come back in time for the olympics. We are tired of seeing her looking morose.
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by KarmaMod(f): 12:09am On Feb 25, 2009
Lmao. Brad wanted a family, she was still there whining about her upgrading her career. What career? Will she ever be close to a People's Choice Award talkless of Golden Globe/Oscar. Were. She's 10 yrs older than Jolie, when the hell was Brad gonna get his family from if not then?

Abeg. Good genes are not meant to be wasted. tongue I wouldnt even be so brash if she didnt disgrace herself with that foolish GQ cover. Desperate attention seeker
Re: Oscar 2009 Nominations Announced by kadman(m): 12:21am On Feb 25, 2009
KarmaMod:

So now so called "good" actresses make better wives hmm sorry i meant better mistresses / baby mamas ? Nothing we no go hear sha.
I don't even know why Aniston is even being dragged into this but if that's the case Aniston has had 2 no 1 films this year alone,and we're in February !

And Jolie's movies / role are shitty anyway, She's either shooting 'em up bang bang or crying her eyes out,either way it's predictable and guaranteed to be boring.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The Best Tv Antenna In Nigeria / Movies That Hurt So Much / Meet The Full Cast Of 'october 1', A Kunle Afolayan Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.