Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,752 members, 7,831,416 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:24 PM

"i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children (1022 Views)

BREAKING! UK Minister Resigns Over Gaza Policy / Israeli Official Calls For Concentration Camps In Gaza & "The Conquest Of Gaza" / Hamas Execution Of 6 Men, Draged In The Streets Of Gaza (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

"i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by muhsin(m): 5:20pm On Jan 23, 2009
JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert said on Friday that he wept upon hearing a Palestinian father calling for help live on television after his children were killed during Israel's offensive in the Gaza Strip.

"I cried when I saw this. Who didn't? How could you not?," Olmert told the Israeli newspaper Maariv in an interview in which he defended the policy legacy he will leave when he steps down after an election on February 10.

Israeli television a week ago aired desperate cries for help from a Palestinian doctor, whose calls to report the death of three of his daughters have been re-broadcast repeatedly since.

Olmert said that in approving the assault in Gaza, aimed at the enclave's ruling Hamas Islamist movement, his government had no illusions that Palestinian civilians would be hurt given the densely populated areas in the Hamas-ruled coastal enclave.

"When you win, you automatically hurt more than you've been hurt. And we didn't want to lose this campaign. What did you want, for hundreds of our soldiers to die? That, after all, was the alternative," Olmert told the newspaper.

Ten soldiers were killed, and three Israeli civilians.

The independent Palestinian Center for Human Rights said its researchers had documented the deaths of 1,284 people in the war, of whom 894 appeared to be civilians, including 280 aged under 18. A further 167 members of Hamas's police force died.

Israel has estimated it killed about 500 guerrillas in its drive to deter rocket attacks from Gaza on its southern towns.

Olmert has been acting as caretaker since he resigned in September over a corruption scandal. He will step down in a few weeks, once a government is formed following the election.

The outgoing premier conceded he had made mistakes but defended his record during three years in power, notably over the war against Hezbollah guerrillas in Lebanon in 2006, but denied he was positioning himself for an eventual comeback.

(Reporting by Joseph Nasr, editing by Alastair Macdonald and Samia Nakhoul)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/usTopNews/idUSTRE50M47Y20090123?pageNumber=2&virtualBrandChannel=0
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by RichyBlacK(m): 5:26pm On Jan 23, 2009
Can someone tell Olmert that his renegade nephew, Davidylan, was beaming with smiles while Olmert was crying.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 5:37pm On Jan 23, 2009
Olmert should go and weep elsewhere . . . Netanyahu is what Israel needs.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by RichyBlacK(m): 5:40pm On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

grin
David, your position is becoming unpopular, even in Israel. Have a heart and feel the human experience of pain. Cry a bit. It's good for the nerves. Experience compassion for others, it helps the soul. Love humanity for its sake! Love, they say, conquers all!
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by MrCrackles(m): 5:44pm On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

Netanyu for where?
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jan 23, 2009
RichyBlacK:

grin
David, your position is becoming unpopular, even in Israel. Have a heart and feel the human experience of pain. Cry a bit. It's good for the nerves. Experience compassion for others, it helps the soul. Love humanity for its sake! Love, they say, conquers all!

humanity =  gaza as far as you dhimmis are concerned.

Where are your sympathy threads for the starving millions in Darfur and those in Zimbabwe for whom monthly salaries cannot even get them home for dinner?
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 5:49pm On Jan 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

Netanyu for where?

Netanyahu, head of the Likud party, is standing for elections in Feb. I want to believe he will win and when he does . . . HAMAS had better find somewhere else to hide. Dhimmitude wont be tolerated no more.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by RichyBlacK(m): 6:23pm On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

humanity =  gaza [/b]as far as you dhimmis are concerned.

Where are your sympathy threads for the starving millions in Darfur and those in Zimbabwe for whom monthly salaries cannot even get them home for dinner?

That is not true.

[b]The people of Gaza form a subset of oppressed people worldwide
, from Darfur to Tibet, from Nigeria to the United States. We all must fight against oppression, mindless carnage, hunger and environmental degradation.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jan 23, 2009
RichyBlacK:

That is not true.

The people of Gaza form a subset of oppressed people worldwide, from Darfur to Tibet, from Nigeria to the United States. We all must fight against oppression, mindless carnage, hunger and environmental degradation.

I only see you "fight" for the oppressed when it comes to Gaza. When there are threads on the oppressed in Darfur and Georgia you never seem to care.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by RichyBlacK(m): 7:07pm On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

I only see you "fight" for the oppressed when it comes to Gaza. When there are threads on the oppressed in Darfur and Georgia you never seem to care.

That's not true. I was against Russia's use of force in Georgia, knowing Georgia is no match for a thousandth of Russia.

I've been against the actions of the Sudanese government even before Darfur! The conflict between the government-controlled majority-Muslim north and the Christian/animist south has caused much hardship in the south and resulted in mass migration to neighboring countries. That conflict laid the foundation for the crisis in Darfur. The government of al-Bashir is very much like many in the middle-east - tyrannical, dictatorial and ruthless. However, the West hardly confronts these tyrants - from Cairo to Riyadh. Sudan is no different. 

What vexes me is that the United States, the most popular superpower, has lost her way. They do nothing to stop real carnage in Darfur but scream like "girlie men" when rockets that make small holes in the ground fall on Sderot. If they were supporting Israel and also supporting the civilians being massacred in Darfur by punishing the killers in Khartoum, then their foreign policy credentials would go up a notch. The U.S. must learn to use her power for good, not just to cheer on rogue states like Israel.

How about confronting the Sudanese government? Khartoum is committing genocide against Darfurians! Wasn't that part of the claim Bush apologists have tendered as reasons for invading Iraq? That Saddam Hussein killed his own people? Well, more people have died at the hands of the government in Khartoum than were killed by Saddam. Where is the consistency in US foreign policy? Did I hear national interest? Well, Osama bin Laden (the man the US can't seem to find) was residing in Sudan no too long ago! Isn't that a national security issue?

These are some of the reasons the US has consistently gotten F grades on foreign policy and why I say the US foreign policy seems to be run by toddlers in O ta akara Nursery School.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jan 23, 2009
RichyBlacK:

That's not true. I was against Russia's use of force in Georgia, knowing Georgia is no match for a thousandth of Russia.

But surprisingly you didnt call it a genocide considering the Georgians didnt fire a single rocket into Russia and only wanted to take control of a territory that was once theirs. Double standard comes to mind here.

RichyBlacK:

I've been against the actions of the Sudanese government even before Darfur! The conflict between the government-controlled majority-Muslim north and the Christian/animist south has caused much hardship in the south and resulted in mass migration to neighboring countries. That conflict laid the foundation for the crisis in Darfur. The government of al-Bashir is very much like many in the middle-east - tyrannical, dictatorial and ruthless. However, the West hardly confronts these tyrants - from Cairo to Riyadh. Sudan is no different.

Why is it the duty of the west to confront tyrants? when the US confronted Iraq were you not one of the loudmouthed goons who complained?

RichyBlacK:

What vexes me is that the United States, the most popular superpower, has lost her way. They do nothing to stop real carnage in Darfur but scream like "girlie men" when rockets that make small holes in the ground fall on Sderot. If they were supporting Israel and also supporting the civilians being massacred in Darfur by punishing the killers in Khartoum, then their foreign policy credentials would go up a notch. The U.S. must learn to use her power for good, not just to cheer on rogue states like Israel.

what is the role of mid-east governments? Just to sit back and whine like little babies?

RichyBlacK:

How about confronting the Sudanese government? Khartoum is committing genocide against Darfurians! Wasn't that part of the claim Bush apologists have tendered as reasons for invading Iraq? That Saddam Hussein killed his own people? Well, more people have died at the hands of the government in Khartoum than were killed by Saddam. Where is the consistency in US foreign policy? Did I hear national interest? Well, Osama bin Laden (the man the US can't seem to find) was residing in Sudan no too long ago! Isn't that a national security issue?

The US confronted Iraq . . . you wailed blue murder.
They confronted Afghanistan . . . you wept louder.
They tried to confront Iran . . . you accused them of trying to be a police state . . .

now you want them to confront Sudan? So you can accuse them of genocide finally?

RichyBlacK:

These are some of the reasons the US has consistently gotten F grades on foreign policy and why I say the US foreign policy seems to be run by toddlers in O ta akara Nursery School.

If these are your reasons then you need to return to primary school and learn logical reasoning.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by MrCrackles(m): 7:16pm On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

Netanyahu, head of the Likud party, is standing for elections in Feb. I want to believe he will win and when he does . . . HAMAS had better find somewhere else to hide. Dhimmitude wont be tolerated no more.

Believe me Benjy Netanyahu is not what Isreal needs!
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 7:17pm On Jan 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

Believe me Benjy Netanyahu is not what Isreal needs!

Who does she need? Weaklings like Olmert?
With Netanyahu we will at least stop this pretence that the "mid-east peace process" has become. If you strike Israel once you'll get hit very hard.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by MrCrackles(m): 7:20pm On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

Who does she need? Weaklings like Olmert?
With Netanyahu we will at least stop this pretence that the "mid-east peace process" has become. If you strike Israel once you'll get hit very hard.

And why did you say Ehud Olmert is a weakling?

Well for me, i dont think both of them have the bottle!!!

The problem is, finding the right man with the bottle!!!!
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 7:22pm On Jan 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

And why did you say Ehud Olmert is a weakling?

Well for me, i dont think both of them have the bottle!!!

The problem is, finding the right man with the bottle!!!!

Netanyahu unlike Olmert doesnt care what all these hypocritical "international" laws have to say. If he has to destroy Gaza to crush HAMAS you better believe he will and that's the man Israel needs now before Iran develops nuclear weapons and HAMAS obtains even more powerful missiles.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by MrCrackles(m): 7:25pm On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

Netanyahu unlike Olmert doesnt care what all these hypocritical "international" laws have to say. If he has to destroy Gaza to crush HAMAS you better believe he will and that's the man Israel needs now before Iran develops nuclear weapons and HAMAS obtains even more powerful missiles.

Netanyahu wont destroy GAZA just like that, trust me!
May God take control in that region
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 7:28pm On Jan 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

Netanyahu wont destroy GAZA just like that, trust me!
May God take control in that region

Wait and see . . . when more powerful missiles rain on Ashkelon or Tel Aviv, Gaza will be nothing but ruins with Netanyahu in power.

Which "God" is taking control of Gaza by the way? Seems the Jewish God is firmly awake and guiding his people.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by auwal87(m): 7:51pm On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

Wait and see . . . when more powerful missiles rain on Ashkelon or Tel Aviv, Gaza will be nothing but ruins with Netanyahu in power.
Which "God" is taking control of Gaza by the way? Seems the Jewish God is firmly awake and guiding his people.

Why not Nuclear from Iran to "Wipe Israel Off the Map" Let everyone (including you) go and have a sound sleep!
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 7:53pm On Jan 23, 2009
auwal87:

Why not Nuclear from Iran to "Wipe Israel Off the Map" Let everyone (including you) go and have a sound sleep!

I thought you were against killing women and children? undecided
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by MrCrackles(m): 8:32pm On Jan 23, 2009
auwal87:

Oh no!! grin
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jan 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

Oh no!! grin

u'll certainly be here to shed crocodile tears when Israeli missiles try to destroy HAMAS.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by MrCrackles(m): 9:23pm On Jan 23, 2009
davidylan:

u'll certainly be here to shed crocodile tears when Israeli missiles try to destroy HAMAS.

Idiot, e dey pain u? grin cheesy
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 9:25pm On Jan 23, 2009
MrCrackles:

Idiot, e dey pain u? grin cheesy

Pain me for wetin? Werent you one of the hypocrites here weeping about women and children during operation cast lead? Sorry to inform you, Israel has nuclear missiles and can evaporate Iran if it so chooses to. Iran will only have herself to blame and dont come here gnashing ur teeth if i refuse to commiserate with you sons of murderers for not crying for Iranian women and children.

Its obvious Jewish women and children are no better than dogs to you.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by RSA(m): 1:51pm On Jan 26, 2009
davidylan:

Tell that god,that he is senseless,stupid,don't deserve the name god.If your god tell you to go and kill innocent souls then I don't want him or hear about him.
I thought God is about peace,love,forgiving and caring.I though the bible and torah says god is love and if indeed is love why the israel are massacring the innocent because god is in their side?
Davidylan fukc your god.Peace to the world
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by Nobody: 4:35pm On Jan 26, 2009
RSA:

Tell that god,that he is senseless,stupid,don't deserve the name god.If your god tell you to go and kill innocent souls then I don't want him or hear about him.
I thought God is about peace,love,forgiving and caring.I though the bible and torah says god is love and if indeed is love why the israel are massacring the innocent because god is in their side?

yeah "peace" to the world indeed. grin With soaring crime rate in SA, violence in Congo, genocide in Darfur, unending problems in Afghanistan, lawlessness in Somalia . . . sure piss to the world.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by bindex(m): 7:50pm On Jan 26, 2009
RSA:

Read the old testament then only will you understand how pissful the hebrew God is. He is no better than Allah anyway. But I hate Allah more.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by MadMax1(f): 9:07pm On Jan 26, 2009
RSA:

Frigging give this God a break,why don't ya? There are other gods naw. Pass the love around.
Olmert 'weeps' because a tv broadcast put a human face on all those statistics?Yeah sure. Damage control. Good practice. The war's been on for decades and there's no end in sight. It's a sickening,unending process. They'll both withdraw,lick their wounds, then 'peace talks' would be all the rage,and dramatic photos of Israel talking tough and some great quips from the Israeli PM. They'll let themslves be persuaded, bicker over details, agree to something or the other,write it in stone,wait a few beats and have at each other again. Ad frigging nauseam.
Re: "i Wept," Olmert Says Of Death Of Gaza Children by RSA(m): 11:13am On Jan 28, 2009
davidylan:

yeah "peace" to the world indeed. grin With soaring crime rate in SA, violence in Congo, genocide in Darfur, unending problems in Afghanistan, lawlessness in Somalia . . . sure piss to the world.

Listen,criminals in south africa don't rape,steal,murder in God's name,they are criminals and they know that.the war in Congo is not about God,nobody kills for god there,its about resources and america your ally is partly to blame.all the country you mentioned don't go killing people because they are the chosen nation.I don't know much about history but Israel time will come.and as we say in south "die poppe sal danse"

(1) (Reply)

Obama And His 500 Crew / Protesters Burn Burkina Faso National Assembly Building / Fbi: 94% Of Terrorist Attacks In The Us. Are Not By Muslims.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.