Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,687 members, 7,820,394 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 02:12 PM

The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University (42250 Views)

Team Oau Leaves Golden Benchmark At Bowen University / The Bad Welfare Condition Of Students In OAU (Photos) / Counter Topic: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by jeffdiox(m): 1:32pm On Apr 03, 2015
na wa oooh. na primary/ secondary skul

1 Like

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by obomobo: 1:37pm On Apr 03, 2015
youmour:
Dia girls go still tight die
for your mind
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by prela(f): 1:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
dulux07:
I really enjoyed my stay in bowen, i ve lived in a fed uni n state uni bfor moving to bowen, i still prefer bowen, i heard d new vc changed d rules bringing discomfort to d students, whch led to d riot.
During my days olagbemiro was d vc , n then

cafeterias opens rm 7am n close 10pm, u can go to d cafe anytim u want

U can remain in campus till 9pm, n outside hostel til 10.30pm.

Wed mornin n sunday mornin r d most strict chapel days, others r jst fun, mostly servin as rendevous for some.

U can put on jeans, 3/4 after school hrs n weekends(i.e rm 4pm), ladies can put on trousers on weekends(sport things)

At lis 70% attendence to write exams, as well as cost of living is high.. true.

U can put on hand bands. Always on tie, compulsory devotions r rules dat r not effective.

D only issue we heard then was water supply, which was a big prob cos d sch is located on a rocky land, scarcity of water at times makes d hostel n toilets dirty.

I tell u bowen is d most liberal xtian university in nigeria. Dont know abt now tho, cos of d new VC.

You just said my mind. Olagbemiro is the best. #Perfection set

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Iphesure212(m): 1:38pm On Apr 03, 2015
emmasege:
@OP, You failed to add that Bowen is one of the best private universities in Nigeria in terms of infrastructure & academic training. There's no way you could know since your stay in Bowen was short-lived. Bowen university isn't in the same class as many glorified secondary schools (private & state unis) scattered all over the nation.
Personally, I'd rather recommend a first/second generation FEDERAL UNIVERSITY or a good private university (e.g. covenant, Babcock, bowen) for a ward. State-owned universities are the worst in naija.

Im not surprised cos dis is coming from a private university student

1 Like

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by UnimkeAk(m): 1:39pm On Apr 03, 2015
Antanananovic:
I couldn't stop the smile that appeared on my face when I read all you wrote up there because I can relate with some of them. They were what I had to deal with for four years..I graduated in 2011/viable set.

is it the night paroles@ laosebikan hall or Nlt and the delicious fried rice at munches. The annoying long queue at Skye bank atm machine is even better compared to the one at the tap at boys hostel. And usually on Sunday, after church service, the small shopping complex at the back of the boys hostel (p.s I think there is a new one now close to the faculty of agriculture) is usually "overflooded" because they had and sold the best "moin moin" in school.

Bowen University had notorious students who were infamous for many nefarious activities. A student, who had psychological problems, has burgled the vault of sterling Bank and carted away with a lot of money in a "Ghana must go" bag. Another punched a school staff in the face and beat him up. He was sent to OYO to cool his heels. There are so many of them which served as talking points and gossip for students. lest I forget, a girl was gangbänged by many guys during summer school. Somehow, the management got to know and stormed the guys hostel on a Sunday morning. I was told that all the guys in the hostel were asked to form a queue and the so called girl started picking the guys that were responsible. it was really crazy and quite unfortunate that the guys involved were final year students. Most of them were expelled..

You brought me memories and I savour the good experiences that I had there even though there are a lot of bad eggs there

Kikikikikikikikikikikikiki !!!!
Nigga u called that notorious; iv seen worst in federal government colleges while we wer still teenagers..(Secondary sch)

Those ur notorious peeps won't survive in some public Universities down south.

2 Likes

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Donmichaelz(m): 1:41pm On Apr 03, 2015
no school can teach u character, trying to blame ur school for enforcement of dress code is hilarious, didn't u know their terms and conditions before going there?
even in my university u must make 75% attendance before writing exam
it's a private university, I am in a govt uni and I abide by d law, if u were going to make such accusation about ur school why go there in d first place,,,? it's called a school and worst of all its a church school, wat do u expect?nightclub or joints? u are an half baked graduate trust me, congrat sha

7 Likes

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Richy4(m): 1:42pm On Apr 03, 2015
This sounds like dormitory in my secondary school days.

Any Naira lander that sees any one attending this school, please lay your hands on their head and bless them.

How can they survive the stress this world has to offer?
Lord have mercy

1 Like

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by UnclePati: 1:50pm On Apr 03, 2015
Na wah 4 bowen.
This na Senior Senior Secondary School....SSSS

1 Like

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by dulux07(m): 1:53pm On Apr 03, 2015
[quote author=prela post=32307161][/quote]
wink perfection set as well

1 Like

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Bollinger(m): 1:54pm On Apr 03, 2015
@OP. As far as i know, the institution is a private RELIGIOUS university. This means if you don't like their RELIGIOUS rules don't attend.

2 Likes

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Nobody: 2:00pm On Apr 03, 2015
Dapo777:
I got admission at bowen university in 2012, the joy and anxiety was still there and all that. I was warned that I won't like the school that they are too strict but I stubbornly refused to listen,thinking I would survive anything.

I was disappointed when I discovered this things about Bowen university. Luckily I got admitted into ui and ran for my dear life.

1)Religion is more important than education. Every students must attend chapel service every Tuesday,Thursday,and twice on Sunday at specific times, and its compulsory for all students regardless of your religion.
If you try to skip any chapel service,you would be suspended for a semester.

2)Your dress style is more important than your character.
-You can't wear jeans
-You can't wear 3/4 trousers
-You can't keep afro hair style
-You can't use handband
-You must be in complete shirt and tie and plain trousers to class

3)You can't decide when to eat.
There is a food time table for all students,if u miss morning food time table,no food for you in the morning again because all cafetarials would close when its past the time for eating. Same with afternoon and night food.

4)You can't stay outside at night.
You dare not be found outside your hostel anytime from 7:30pm. Every student would be sent back to their hostel once its 7:30pm, and by 9pm u can't be found outside your room.

5)Compulsory devotions for everyone.
By 6am you would be woken up for a 30 minutes devotion(singing and praising) and every 10pm you would be sent out of your room for 30 minutes devotion every single day including Sundays.

6)You can't leave the school compounds without applying for visa.
First of all,you can't go outside the school compound for any other reasons than to visit the bank for withdrawal or payment. And you must write a letter to the hall supervisor,who would read your letter (reasons why you want to go out) and he would sign it,and then you will take the letter to the student's affairs unit where they also read the letter and give u a paper where u write Ur name and department and date of departure,this paper you will then take to a woman in charge of the gates,who collects it and ask you to write your name on a list she then gives you a tally that you show to the gate man who would then allow you out. Maximum of 1 hour can be spent outside the school,later than that, and you could be purnished.

7)You must make 80% of class attendance before you would be allowed to do exam. Class attendance marking is always done.

coolThey give holiday assignment and you must submit it on resumption.

9)The cost of living there is very high,because the sellers know we can't go outside school easily.

10)The hostel that they are paying 120k for ,is in a terrible state,dirty toilets,slippery varenda,stinky environment. Mosquitoes nko? Wahala. 8 students per room for 120k per session.

The good things I liked about bowen university

1)The girls their are very naive and easy to get, they are desperate to have boyfriend because they are leaving their father's house for the first time. The ratio of females to males is 7:1. Same thing with young female food sellers at cafetarials,because you are a bowenite,they assume you are very rich,so they open up easily to you.

2)You can sell anything at any price if you know your way. Most Students there are from very rich families,so if you have an item,let's say a gold chain,and you know how to hype and market it ,you can sell fake gold chain for 50k, they have the money, but not all of them are gullible oo.

3)Their new library is very beautiful and ultra modern,fully airconditioned and strong internet access if you have the rj45 cable.

4)The chapel too is quite beautiful and fully airconditioned.

And this not a joke. Go there and witness it yourself.

Wow. So so true. BUI my alma mata. I experienced both the good and bad. Hmmm memories.

1 Like

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Richy4(m): 2:02pm On Apr 03, 2015
emmasege:
@OP, You failed to add that Bowen is one of the best private universities in Nigeria in terms of infrastructure & academic training. There's no way you could know since your stay in Bowen was short-lived. Bowen university isn't in the same class as many glorified secondary schools (private & state unis) scattered all over the nation.
Personally, I'd rather recommend a first/second generation FEDERAL UNIVERSITY or a good private university (e.g. covenant, Babcock, bowen) for a ward. State-owned universities are the worst in naija.

Can you explain one particular thing that is wrong with a state university that cannot be found in private university.
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Gbajabiamila1: 2:02pm On Apr 03, 2015
What I hate most about the school is that, the girl I loved all my life started a strange behaviour after gaining admission there. #IHateBowen.
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Gbajabiamila1: 2:03pm On Apr 03, 2015
Richy4:

Can you explain one particular thing that is wrong with a state university that cannot be found in private university.
Thanks for the question.
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by mmsen: 2:06pm On Apr 03, 2015
Sounds like a religious prison.

We need to extricate religion from our educational system.

1 Like

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by KELVIN086: 2:07pm On Apr 03, 2015
Promxy94:
THANKGOD For Iuo
Here at igbinedion,the only difference between iuo and the rest public unis is just the school fees....
Here you leave your life,furnish your room,drive your choice car,do what ever you want to do and no one dictates anything for you.....

Team Igbinedion University Okada....
THANKGOD For Taking Me There......

very correct , the only difference btw iuo and all other federal unis is just the school fees
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Nobody: 2:20pm On Apr 03, 2015
eating okpa and custard in the morning and sleeping in class afterwards..... grin...memories
Glowww:

#proud Lioness
Great Lions and Lionesses

1 Like

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by nosike3(m): 2:47pm On Apr 03, 2015
feran14:

harvard is a private school... so everyone in havard is an illiterate??

And if a lecturer from harvard comes as a visiting lecturer to your school, you would send him away and tell him he is a illiterate?

so you mean the pc you are using was made by an illiterate and you that is literate cannot do better?? smh
mumuu!! We dey talk bowen,babcock,you dey talk harvard! Are you guys on the same page?? We speaking Nigeria,ni99a be speaking USA! sad
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by ednoville(m): 2:49pm On Apr 03, 2015
2Cents:
Hail Alma Mata,
Bowen University,
Excellence and Godliness,
Is our esteemed watch word,
Though tongues may differ,
Our brotherhood we hold so firm..
Hail Alma Mata...dear.

Hail Alma Mata,
Bowen University,
On Christ Foundation Built,
That cannot be shaken,
Others may falter,
Our Conviction we hold so firm...
Hail Alma Mata ....dear.

*clears throat...

Fortified Set.....'09 repping.

Sorry u couldn't cope bro.... it's ur loss.
Thousands have graduated before and after you.... Now on their own with no Bowen breathing down their necks, they are doing good with all the freedom in the world.
Again bro...ur loss.

rep 4tified set, wetin be your name and dept?
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by nosike3(m): 2:50pm On Apr 03, 2015
tooltip:
eating okpa and custard in the morning and sleeping in class afterwards..... grin...memories
that sheet works faster than diazepam!!! Tried it once but with pap in my first year and nearly slept to my death in Gs building!!
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Nobody: 2:53pm On Apr 03, 2015
nosike3:
mumuu!! We dey talk bowen,babcock,you dey talk harvard! Are you guys on the same page?? We speaking Nigeria,ni99a be speaking USA! sad

no need to be a di.ck. he did not specify. he just plainly said private schools..
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Nobody: 2:54pm On Apr 03, 2015
cheesy, lmao @ diazepam,which campus were you in?....okpa di oku was one's saving grace, my mum even drilled me on taking okpa for breakfast just as she did while she was in uni, lol
nosike3:
that sheet works faster than diazepam!!! Tried it once but with pap in my first year and nearly slept to my death in Gs building!!
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by QueenTade(f): 3:01pm On Apr 03, 2015
The fact is, youth of these days lack discipline and they want it always their way. Nothing is taken serious all they want is fun!!!!!!!!

I graduted from this same school (Bowen University) 2007 and I don't think the rules are too strict for people who know the reason why they are there. Agreed the the hostel condition was not what i expected too.

Talking about the religious aspect you knew you were enrolling in a christian school so you should expect all the do's and donts. ℓ☺ℓ

2 Likes

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Antanananovic: 3:02pm On Apr 03, 2015
OP..you have at most three years left if you are an agricultural science student but about two years as a science and social science student. Anyways, I will advise you to do the best that you can to enjoy the institution. it is a matter of time. I have even forgotten about Bowen university. it could be boring sometimes but it is left to you to have fun in any way you can. I really don't care about the opinions of those who are bad mouthing the institution saying it is "a nursery/primary school or "glorified secondary school". Who cares!

As small as it is, the institution is known for high academic standard. Bowen Graduates are all over the world making exploits. Right now, I am about to finish my masters program, register for another and I am in my early twenties. I believe that the end surely justifies the means..

cheers bro!

2 Likes

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by GOOOGLE504(m): 3:03pm On Apr 03, 2015
Dapo777:
I got admission at bowen university in 2012, the joy and anxiety was still there and all that. I was warned that I won't like the school that they are too strict but I stubbornly refused to listen,thinking I would survive anything.

I was disappointed when I discovered this things about Bowen university. Luckily I got admitted into ui and ran for my dear life.

1)Religion is more important than education. Every students must attend chapel service every Tuesday,Thursday,and twice on Sunday at specific times, and its compulsory for all students regardless of your religion.
If you try to skip any chapel service,you would be suspended for a semester.

2)Your dress style is more important than your character.
-You can't wear jeans
-You can't wear 3/4 trousers
-You can't keep afro hair style
-You can't use handband
-You must be in complete shirt and tie and plain trousers to class

3)You can't decide when to eat.
There is a food time table for all students,if u miss morning food time table,no food for you in the morning again because all cafetarials would close when its past the time for eating. Same with afternoon and night food.

4)You can't stay outside at night.
You dare not be found outside your hostel anytime from 7:30pm. Every student would be sent back to their hostel once its 7:30pm, and by 9pm u can't be found outside your room.

5)Compulsory devotions for everyone.
By 6am you would be woken up for a 30 minutes devotion(singing and praising) and every 10pm you would be sent out of your room for 30 minutes devotion every single day including Sundays.

6)You can't leave the school compounds without applying for visa.
First of all,you can't go outside the school compound for any other reasons than to visit the bank for withdrawal or payment. And you must write a letter to the hall supervisor,who would read your letter (reasons why you want to go out) and he would sign it,and then you will take the letter to the student's affairs unit where they also read the letter and give u a paper where u write Ur name and department and date of departure,this paper you will then take to a woman in charge of the gates,who collects it and ask you to write your name on a list she then gives you a tally that you show to the gate man who would then allow you out. Maximum of 1 hour can be spent outside the school,later than that, and you could be purnished.

7)You must make 80% of class attendance before you would be allowed to do exam. Class attendance marking is always done.

coolThey give holiday assignment and you must submit it on resumption.

9)The cost of living there is very high,because the sellers know we can't go outside school easily.

10)The hostel that they are paying 120k for ,is in a terrible state,dirty toilets,slippery varenda,stinky environment. Mosquitoes nko? Wahala. 8 students per room for 120k per session.

The good things I liked about bowen university

1)The girls their are very naive and easy to get, they are desperate to have boyfriend because they are leaving their father's house for the first time. The ratio of females to males is 7:1. Same thing with young female food sellers at cafetarials,because you are a bowenite,they assume you are very rich,so they open up easily to you.

2)You can sell anything at any price if you know your way. Most Students there are from very rich families,so if you have an item,let's say a gold chain,and you know how to hype and market it ,you can sell fake gold chain for 50k, they have the money, but not all of them are gullible oo.

3)Their new library is very beautiful and ultra modern,fully airconditioned and strong internet access if you have the rj45 cable.

4)The chapel too is quite beautiful and fully airconditioned.

And this not a joke. Go there and witness it yourself.

@Op I will nt call u a complete liar because u said 2012 but sha u r a partial liar
ur no1 and 2 points r true n valid while no 3 has being cancelled following d riot last yr march,

also students can stay in sku with their babes till hrs of 8-9

,also devotion is nt as compulsory as u make it look as I haven't attended more dan 1ce dis wk,

okay u apply 4 exeat b4 u leave d compound, but
HOLIDAY ASSIGNMENTS?; haba do some research b4 saying such false tins abt sum1s alma mater.

I hope u change... We over here cannot b more proud of our school as we r now.. so shush

4 Likes

Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Glowww(f): 3:09pm On Apr 03, 2015
tooltip:
Lols
Still doing that tho.
No Lion or Lioness complete without a taste of Okpa.
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by mbulela: 3:12pm On Apr 03, 2015
5p1naz:
tongue I'm happy for you OP for going to another school. I think it's high time Nigerians understand somethings. BOWEN is privately owned and they have their policies. It is your responsibility to read thoroughly what their policies are before you go there. Not go there and moan about the policies.
I do not support their policies nor that of covenant and co. But they didnt force you to buy their form and even if they did, you had a choice to accept or decline their admission offer.

Gbam!
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Moses247(m): 3:12pm On Apr 03, 2015
hmmm see my fellow abuad student o, wassup dude?
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by GodMode: 3:17pm On Apr 03, 2015
QueenTade:
The fact is, youth of these days lack discipline and they want it always their way. Nothing is taken serious all they want is fun!!!!!!!!

I graduted from this same school (Bowen University) 2007 and I don't think the rules are too strict for people who know the reason why they are there. Agreed the the hostel condition was not what i expected too.

Talking about the religious aspect you knew you were enrolling in a christian school so you should expect all the do's and donts. ℓ☺ℓ

Don't generalise...

Besides... is it when u're old u want to have fun.
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by Damsman10(m): 3:17pm On Apr 03, 2015
GOOOGLE504:

@Op I will nt call u a complete liar because u said 2012 but sha u r a partial liar
ur no1 and 2 points r true n valid while no 3 has being cancelled following d riot last yr march,

also students can stay in sku with their babes till hrs of 8-9

,also devotion is nt as compulsory as u make it look as I haven't attended more dan 1ce dis wk,

okay u apply 4 exeat b4 u leave d compound, but
HOLIDAY ASSIGNMENTS?; haba do some research b4 saying such false tins abt sum1s alma mater.

I hope u change... We over here cannot b more proud of our school as we r now.. so shush

99 likes..
guys last time I checked most schools dnt maintain same system 4 as long as 3yrs so I wanna bliv even d true 1s r now wrong...
Re: The Bad And Good Experiences At Bowen University by GodMode: 3:19pm On Apr 03, 2015
Antanananovic:
OP..you have at most three years left if you are an agricultural science student but about two years as a science and social science student. Anyways, I will advise you to do the best that you can to enjoy the institution. it is a matter of time. I have even forgotten about Bowen university. it could be boring sometimes but it is left to you to have fun in any way you can. I really don't care about the opinions of those who are bad mouthing the institution saying it is "a nursery/primary school or "glorified secondary school". Who cares!

As small as it is, the institution is known for high academic standard. Bowen Graduates are all over the world making exploits. Right now, I am about to finish my masters program, register for another and I am in my early twenties. I believe that the end surely justifies the means..

cheers bro!

Having all the degrees in the world means nothing if u don't put your knowledge to use and if u don't have passion for it...

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Depression: Kogi Teacher Commits Suicide Over Poor Welfare / Olajide Sanyaolu: Student Helped By Davido Graduates With First Class / How Do You Pronounce These Words?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.