Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,848 members, 7,810,270 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:06 AM

With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? (17339 Views)

Opposition Politics; To Play Or Not To Play / ‘factors That Aided Apc’s Victory At The Polls’ - Tinubu's Aide, Dare, Reveals / Celebrations Throu Out Port Harcourt Over APC Victory (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by yokiti: 7:52pm On Apr 03, 2015
I read this comment on the thread below and its giving me concern about the future of Vibrancy of opposition politics in Nigeria.
What do you think?
www.nairaland.com/2229262/jagaban/2#32222866
theV0ice:
I never really took to ojuyobo (i see that name from his first tenure as gov has been dropped wink ) but I cant discountenance his politically astuteness. The man has foresight and understands politics inside out.

Tinubu will never have the impact awo had and still has on Yoruba people as awo's impact transcends politics but Nigerian politics will never forget him. He knew the power of political compromise. An attribute awo terribly lacked.

My only problem with gmb's victory is that opposition politics is dead in Nigeria. Those gifted in it have been pushed to the centre.
Liegeria:

This line in your comment gave you away as someone who knows the trends in Nigerian politics.

In the first republic, we were in opposition.
In the second republic, we were in opposition.
When Abiola built alliances and won, the election was canceled. We were in NADECO, also in opposition.

When OBJ was imposed on the country, we found ourselves both in power (nominally) but essentially in opposition (Alliance for Democracy).
When PDP rigged SW, it was Tinubu that built ACN, the most organised opposition political party
It was Tinubu that engineered the alliance that crystallized into APC.

Where is Orji kalu's PPA?
Where is APGA and peter Obi that used to be the face of APGA?

The real challenge now is the East has never really played a traditional opposition role. Will they rise up to the occasion and provide a vibrant opposition? can they reform PDP ? Let wait and see.

10 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Bevista: 8:02pm On Apr 03, 2015
cheesy
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Bevista: 8:12pm On Apr 03, 2015
PDP is very poor in the art of proper politicking and mobilization. Over the last 16 years they have depended on money, intimidation, Federal Might, etc to have their way.

Now that they have lost their advantage, I'm not sure these guys have the wit, resilience and sagacity of Tinubu to offer a credible opposition.

I hope they don't all defect to APC after the Gubernatorial elections.

Modified:
Should PDP loose Akwa Ibom & Rivers States, then their source of funds will really be compromised, making them virtually dead.

37 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by yokiti: 8:21pm On Apr 03, 2015
Bevista:
PDP is very poor in the art of proper politicking and mobilization. Over the last 16 years they have depended on money, intimidation, Federal Might, etc to have their way.

I hope they don't all defect to APC after the Gubernatorial elections.
Politics in Nigeria and the world over has always been that of interest. I can argue that most Nigeria politicians are decamping/ will decamp because they cant do without power and the pecks that come with it and not because of the ideology that will reflect positively on the citizenry. This is noticeable in what is obtainable nowadays.
The Oyinlola's, Segun Oni's et. al. were former PDP members but as it stands now, they are all in the APC today. What are we going to call their drive?

2 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:21pm On Apr 03, 2015
OK... Jus here to read comments.... undecided
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by MaleoPearls(m): 8:21pm On Apr 03, 2015
A Country without opposition will be very boring. It is the opposition that makes politics interesting. But I doubt if the PDP can provide us with the kind of fight the APC put up till their emergence.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:22pm On Apr 03, 2015
Nonsense.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by bigv(m): 8:22pm On Apr 03, 2015
There would always still be opposition. Definitely pdp would want to put their house in order.
There has to be opposition to help strengthen democracy. Other parties are coming on stage too, who knows there might be another merger and apc would be displaced if they don't deliver.
There always will be an opposition, no matter how small their strengths are.

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by efilefun(m): 8:23pm On Apr 03, 2015
dead

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:23pm On Apr 03, 2015
Good question

May I suggest that the reason why it is asked is because for the first time in Nigerian political history....a ruling party has been displaced into the opposition ranks.

Should be interesting to see how it turns out. Two scenarios

1.PDP becomes a regional party centered around the SS and SE...as hundreds of people...inlcuding SS and SE pols defect to the APC....for their daily bread.

OR

2.PDP aligns with all the other opposition parties...and becomes a Grand Opposition alliance....of sorts.

The trouble is that scenario 1 is the most likely. Because Nigerian politicians love being on the winning side. I'll say this for Buhari...he was until recently the one opposition politician that had the courage to persevere in opposition.Most of our politicians don't have that patience.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by gabby227(m): 8:24pm On Apr 03, 2015
Na who u dey ask? They r still opposition parties now, see me see question
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by hardywaltz(m): 8:24pm On Apr 03, 2015
They should understudy the APC and if they are smart enuff they can grab one of the Chambers of the National Assembly in the next round of elections in 2019 effectively turning the President into a "Lame Duck President" and by 2023 grab back the seat of power or worse case they grab both houses of the National Assembly and turning the President from the ruling party into a "Sitting Duck President".

5 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Apr 03, 2015
maryelajoe:
Do you want to become a professional web developer and make social websites like
Facebook Learn it now in just 2 months!
Visit this link and start learning for FREE! >>
http://maryelajoe..com/ Hurry Now!
Offer Closes Soon!
guy, u no dey rest ni? grin

15 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Apr 03, 2015
I think PDP will do it well. But I will miss fashola's jibes at presidency, joe igbokwe's verbal missiles, Lai Mohammed's defensive press statements

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by jmoore(m): 8:24pm On Apr 03, 2015
There will always be an opposition.
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by jaziridon(m): 8:24pm On Apr 03, 2015
PDP is coming back 2019. Watch out

2 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Misogynist2014(m): 8:25pm On Apr 03, 2015
If Buhari performs, PDP will dwindle until it is practically nonexistent. It will then take a lot of time for a formidable opposition to be built.

9 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:25pm On Apr 03, 2015
Ok...if they fail to win lagos next saturday, that party would go into extinction like AD.
No doubt we need a strong opposition in Nigeria, but APC in its current shape is turbo-charged to deliver.
I worry that there would be casualties in the present PDP party such that any attempt at regrouping as opposition would be difficult.

12 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Whobedatte(m): 8:25pm On Apr 03, 2015
The Gubernatorial elections would determine if the pdp wld still be a force to reckon with fter the elections
Only time l tell
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by constance500: 8:26pm On Apr 03, 2015
Kwesion for the gods undecided
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Apr 03, 2015
It is obvious we play regional politics in the country so PDP will still remain a force to reckon with as they would likely retain states in the SE and SS.

But like i say always they need to re-brand and change that name - PDP, cos pple are allergic to hearing it.
They can change to POP, PLC or PMS grin

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:26pm On Apr 03, 2015
It's so simple. There will be change of roles between APC and PDP.

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by gen2briz(m): 8:27pm On Apr 03, 2015
ok
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by justdivine: 8:27pm On Apr 03, 2015
YeS
Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by honourhim: 8:28pm On Apr 03, 2015
unfortunately PDP is a party that is full of people who play food-is-ready politics. The food is now on the table of APC and rather than play opposition, those men in PDP will even prefer to eat from the crumbs that falls from the table of APC. Na wa o

9 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by asdfjklhaha(f): 8:28pm On Apr 03, 2015
Everything now depends on the governorship elections in the South East. If APC wins Imo, Abia, Enugu and Ebonyi, then PDP is dead and buried. If PDP wins, then we have ourselves an opposition.

But with the look of things, I doubt if the igbo man is willing to gamble their federal relevance just for the sake of reviving a party that deliberately killed itself most especially after loosing a golden chance to produce a senate president and speaker house of reps. Igbos are wise, so they would align with APC and vote out PDP.

Therefore opposition politics in nigeria is dead.

9 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Ucheosefoh(m): 8:29pm On Apr 03, 2015
PDP can play it well also know that some APC members who will feel cheated with defect to PDP infact I see PDP forming alliance with other parties to tackle APC before 2019

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 03, 2015
jaziridon:
PDP is coming back 2019. Watch out
Depends on its members being willing NOT to defect.

Perhaps the PDP leadership should sign a legal agreement with the members that they cannot defect...same as APC did with its Presidential candidates.

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by IVORY2009(m): 8:29pm On Apr 03, 2015
The PDP must have saved lots of resources, frm their 16yrs of been in power, I see them bouncing back again in the nearest furture.

1 Like

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by Nobody: 8:29pm On Apr 03, 2015
APC's strength currently will make it hard for the opposition to stand in Nigeria today.

4 Likes

Re: With Apc's Victory; What Will Be The Fate Of Opposition Politics In Nigeria? by sanandreas(m): 8:29pm On Apr 03, 2015
Pdp will wax stronger. They are going back to the drawing board. We still need strong opposition party like Pdp to maintain balance in the polity. Let's take Edo state as a case study. Pdp lost few years ago but I believe strongly that next year election will be a game changer for APC there.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

"They Want To Bomb My Plane" - Governor Wike / Ogun State Government Launches Jobs Portal, Ogunjobs / Hoodlums Attack Enugu INEC Office, Six Vehicles Burnt, Offices Vandalized

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.