Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,238 members, 7,818,801 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:20 AM

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? (1287 Views)

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Afraid Of Hell/Lake Of Fire? / Ghanaian Man Chases Jehovah's Witnesses Out Of His House By Stripping Unclad / Why Are Jehovah Witness Not Given Attention (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by Cammo: 9:22am On Apr 04, 2015
This question came to mind after attending with the Witnesses yesterday evening in one program they held for Christ's resurrection. I was given the invite one Sunday, after they preached to me, and since I was less busy yesterday, I decided to go. They shared wine and bread but nobody touched it. According to the preacher, you must access yourself very well to know if you're qualified to eat and drink of those emblems or not; they're said to represent the blood and flesh of Christ. Anyway, my main point is that before now, I've heard them say they don't celebrate Easter.
So can someone, preferably, a J. Witness explain what happened yesterday. Is it a coincidence or a change of religious belief?
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by Cammo: 9:43am On Apr 04, 2015
I guess nobody can answer my question
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by OsoDupe(f): 10:08am On Apr 04, 2015
It's been their practise for years, when I was a kid, a neighbour do invite us to one of such gatherings with a stern warning to us not to collect the bread and wine. There is only one old man in d congregation that we heard do collect it.
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by lomprico(m): 10:18am On Apr 04, 2015
OsoDupe:
It's been their practise for years, when I was a kid, a neighbour do invite us to one of such gatherings with a stern warning to us not to collect the bread and wine. There is only one old man in d congregation that we heard do collect it.
Then why share it when no one takes is.

1 Like

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by naijaclinic: 10:50am On Apr 04, 2015
You prolly didn't listen. The event you attended was the commemoration of Christ's death.

That should answer your question.
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by CANTICLES: 10:54am On Apr 04, 2015
naijaclinic:
You prolly didn't listen. The event you attended was the commemoration of Christ's death.

That should answer your question.

Thank you bro , " keep doing this in remembrance of me" Luke 22:19
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by Omofairy(f): 11:26am On Apr 04, 2015
Hi Cammo,

Your question is a well thought out one. If you'd like to find out more about what the celebration yesterday was really about, I suggest you visit www.jw.org and type your question in the search button. Lemme know if you do find satisfying answers.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by CANTICLES: 11:40am On Apr 04, 2015
Omofairy:
Hi Cammo,

Your question is a well thought out one. If you'd like to find out more about what the celebration memorial of yesterday was really about, I suggest you visit www.jw.org and type your question in the search button. Lemme know if you do find satisfying answers.

Nice Comment
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by Cammo: 11:41am On Apr 04, 2015
Ok, Naijaclinic, it was the commemoration of Christ's death. I was just kind of stunned that it fell on Easter Friday, as I'm aware that your religion doesn't celebrate Easter.
Omofairy, thanks too, I'll look it up
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by paulGrundy(m): 3:16pm On Apr 04, 2015
Cammo:
Ok, Naijaclinic, it was the commemoration of Christ's death. I was just kind of stunned that it fell on Easter Friday, as I'm aware that your religion doesn't celebrate Easter.

Also try jwfacts.mobi for a balanced view. smiley
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by paulGrundy(m): 3:19pm On Apr 04, 2015
OsoDupe:

This link will help you understand why you were sternly warned from taking the bread.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/144000.php

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by Omofairy(f): 6:48pm On Apr 04, 2015
paulGrundy:

Also try jwfacts.mobi for a balanced view. smiley

Cammo,

Please disregard this site. The only official website that contains true information about the witnesses is jw.org. Other websites claiming to give represent the witnesses actually contain malicious propaganda designed to prevent people from understanding the truth.
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by Omofairy(f): 6:51pm On Apr 04, 2015
Cammo:

You are welcome Cammo.
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by paulGrundy(m): 7:52pm On Apr 04, 2015
Omofairy:

Cammo,

Please disregard this site. The only official website that contains true information about the witnesses is jw.org. Other websites claiming to give represent the witnesses actually contain malicious propaganda designed to prevent people from understanding the truth.

Could you please kindly point out the malicious propaganda in that site? Thank you. smiley

Just because the site entirely criticizes the excesses of the watchtower doesn't mean its designed for any evil intent. All the facts in that site are accurate and verifiable, if you were honest with yourself, you would have refuted the claims in that site. I just wanted him to get a balanced view of the watchtower. A critic view via jwfacts.com and an apologetic view via jw.org.

Peace. smiley
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by Cammo: 11:17am On Apr 06, 2015
I've visited the sites, but why I'm more inclined to go with the one PaulGrundy posted is that the writer states facts and criticizes the JW doctrines in a very plain manner. Well, I'm still more interested on the memorial celebration, and from my read I discovered that those who are qualified to eat the bread and wine are:
* 144,000 in number
* referred to as the 'other sheep'
* also termed the 'little flock' (the rest, unnumbered, who will live on earth, are the called 'The Great Crowd').
One thing I can't say for sure is whether the number is really figurative, as the writer claims, or literal, as the JW want us to believe. I learned the count started some 2,000 years ago, and based on the statistics of partakers it ought to be complete by now. Although, they said some stopped partaking when they discovered they did it out of error, and were replaced; but, all the same, 2,000 years is enough time to make up this number.
I don't like arguing or debating over biblical terms to avoid offending God. So I'll leave it like that.
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by paulGrundy(m): 12:25pm On Apr 06, 2015
Cammo:
I've visited the sites, but why I'm more inclined to go with the one PaulGrundy posted is that [size=21pt]the writer states facts[/size] and criticizes the JW doctrines in a very plain manner. Well, I'm still more interested on the memorial celebration, and from my read I discovered that those who are qualified to eat the bread and wine are:
* 144,000 in number
* also termed the 'little flock' (the rest, unnumbered, who will live on earth, are the called 'The Great Crowd').
One thing I can't say for sure is whether the number is really figurative, as the writer claims, or literal, as the JW want us to believe. I learned the count started some 2,000 years ago, and based on the statistics of partakers it ought to be complete by now. Although, they said some stopped partaking when they discovered they did it out of error, and were replaced; but, all the same, 2,000 years is enough time to make up this number.
I don't like arguing or debating over biblical terms to avoid offending God. So I'll leave it like that.

smiley

How i wish our jw counterparts would just remove the veil from their eyes and see the facts.
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by paulGrundy(m): 12:42pm On Apr 06, 2015
Cammo:
I've visited the sites, but why I'm more inclined to go with the one PaulGrundy posted is that the writer states facts and criticizes the JW doctrines in a very plain manner. Well, I'm still more interested on the memorial celebration, and from my read I discovered that those who are qualified to eat the bread and wine are:
* 144,000 in number

Dear Cammo, smiley
I love your desire to learn more about Gods word, but then I find the bolded rather disturbing. Questioning watchtower doctrines or other denominations doctrine, does not offend God. The watchtower itself encoarages her adherants to be like the borean christain and do biblical research on church doctrines to verify if they have a biblical foundation. What offends God is when you know the truth, but then still continue to believe a lie. What should be of concern to you now is if;

•the watchtower preaches the truth as they claim
•if the governing body have the legitmacy to form doctrine.

Just a little research would do. Don't be scared or feel guilty to do a bit more research. You have the right to know the truth. Please do go through these links. smiley smiley. Although what you are about to see will shock you!!! But do find the courage to go through it. smiley

http://jwfacts.mobi/fear-and-mind-control/
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by Cammo: 12:44pm On Apr 06, 2015
paulGrundy:

Dear Cammo, smiley
I love your desire to learn more about Gods word, but then I find the bolded rather disturbing. Questioning watchtower doctrines or other denominations doctrine, does not offend God. The watchtower itself encoarages her adherants to be like the borean christain and do biblical research on church doctrines to verify if they have a biblical foundation. What offends God is when you know the truth, but then still continue to believe a lie. What should be of concern to you now is if;

•the watchtower preaches the truth as they claim
•if the governing body have the legitmacy to form doctrine.

Just a little research would do. Don't be scared or feel guilty to do a bit more research. You have the right to know the truth. Please do go through these links. smiley smiley
All right, thanks. I will
Re: Are Jehovah's Witnesses Now Celebrating Easter? by paulGrundy(m): 12:46pm On Apr 06, 2015

(1) (Reply)

Why Are 'cele' Still In Church? / How Is The Church Feeding Their Flock Today? / I Had S*x In The Bush To Take Care Of My Kids - Born-again Mother Reveals (photo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.