Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,237 members, 7,818,793 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 03:50 AM

How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright (1787 Views)

How Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright / I Am A Niger Deltan And Oil Is My Birthright / How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright by seuner: 7:12pm On Apr 05, 2015
The name Chukwuemeka Odumegwu-Ojukwu rings in the heart of many nigerians, especially the Igbo race, where he hails from. Ojukwu, who earned the accolades of the Ikemba (Strength of the Nation) and Dikedioramma ("beloved hero of the masses"wink , was the brave man who spear headed the fight for the survival and development of the Igbo region, and the creation of a new republic (BIAFRA). He gave all he has just to fulfil this mission. He also spent 13 years at the maximum prison, Kirikiri, for this same cause.

As a committed democrat, every single day under an un-elected government hurts him. 'The citizens of this country are mature enough to make their own choices, just as they have the right to make their own mistakes", Ojukwu quoted.

Ojukwu had played a significant role in Nigeria's return to democracy since 1999 (the fourth Republic). He had contested as presidential candidate of his party, All Progressives Grand Alliance(APGA) for the last three of the four elections. Until his illness, he remained the party leader. The party was in control of two states in and largely influential amongst the Igbo ethnic area of Nigeria.

The motive behind the creation of APGA is not to fight for a new soverign state (BIAFRA), but to create a place for the Igbo politicians in the tribalized political settings of Nigeria, to see the Igbo politicians at the peak of national affairs.

The recently concluded Presidential and National Assembly Election has showed us how the so-called Igbo leaders betrayed Ojukwu and sold the Igbos birthright for a morsel of bread. It all started when Gov. Peter Obi was rumoured to decamp to the PDP just to canvass the Igbo nation to vote for an Ijaw man, who has no share of their pains during the Biafran war.

According to Bianca Ojukwu, the wife of the late Ojukwu said 'Obi had made a vow to Ojukwu that he would never deny the Igbo race by leaving APGA for another party'. Bianca reminded Obi of his vow to Ojukwu when the rumour became widespread,but some weeks later, Obi had to move to PDP for his own selfish federal interest.

The news of his decampment spread accross the nooks and crannies of Nigeria, as Bianca promised not to have anything to do with him again, which leads to the disagreement between both of them. Some weeks later, Obi was used to penetrate into APGA, so as to adopt the PDP presidential candidate, President Jonathan. Observations were raised from different quaters, that APGA should have presented her own presidential candidate, who would have been a voice to the Igbo race; since other unpopular parties like NCP, KOWA, AA could present a candidate. The response of the national chairman of APGA (also an APGA senatorial candidate), Chief Victor Umeh ignites criticism from sincere Igbo men, who are against this disastrous decision.

Umeh said "We have been lampooned and condemned because we are supporting President Jonathan – let me tell you quite frankly, until we lead our people on the right track we are wasting our time, Today there are no Igbos contesting for president in the APC, so why align with APC?”
He stated further, “Jonathan has shown respect for the Igbos even if he has challenges running the affairs of the country, most of which are man-made.
APGA has no apologies for supporting President Jonathan – what we offer is constructive criticism.You must not oppose government all the time if you are not in government. In developed countries (opposition parties) means those who are not in government but are interested in government." My question to Chief Umeh is, does having your own presidential candidate means you hate Jonathan and who told you that, you lead the Igbo people on the right track.

APGA unfortunately adopted a man that has rejected the Igbos (remember the 2nd niger bridge, the onitsha-enugu road were promised to the Igbos...its construction only began during campaign just to earn the Igbo votes...How many farmers has access to the claimed supply of fertilizer by the federal goverment under Jonathan administration? The Omabala region of Anambra State (Oyi, Anambra East, Anambra West and Ayamelum) where the governor of Anambra, Willie Obiano, hails from lived without electricity for many years, which is the same in many neglected rural area in the Igbo land. Anambra state does not have an Airport (whether local or international), even when her daughter, oduah was the minister of Aviation, the claimed light rail that Jonathan administration lied that they bought has never been seen anywhere in the east. Some of their transformation agenda in Agriculture is to supply machineries to our farmers, Can anyone from the Igbo region tell me if they were given any). Everything Jonathan did for the Igbo people is on paper, but his adoption by this APGA leaders has blinded the eyes of the Igbo people. (I did want any Igbo man to reply what his state gained from the Jonathan government in six years)

Also, the most reverred Reverend father in the East, Rev. father Mbaka, An Igbo descent was widely criticised by N'digbo for his counter attack against the Jonathan administration. Many Igbos were happy when the sitting president wife, who is not a Igbo woman in character, language, ethics and by state of birth almost killed their own priest and almost destroyed the reverred ADORATION ministry of the Eastern people. The funniest of the Mbaka story is an unemployed Igbo man who did a well-bought album tagged 'MBAKA WHY?'. They turned their own priest to a laughing stock, when the south westerners and notherners are celebrating him for his courage. Today, Mbaka said he has been vindicated over Buhari's victory. Mbaka is not interested in a man who is not from the east but bears Azikwe, just to trickishly gather the Igbo peoples vote. He is interested in what the spirit tells him. 'the stone that the builder rejected has now become the chief cornerstone'

THIS BEGAN THE DESTRUCTION OF WHAT OJUKWU BUILT TO CONSOLE HIMSELF FOR THE WAR HE FOUGHT FOR. TODAY, APGA LOST ALL SENATORIAL SEATS AND HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVE SEATS IN THE WHOLE NATION. How on Earth can Stella Oduah, who has been widely criticised for gross misconduct in public office, be able to win the respected DUBEM OBAZE from Nsugbe. How on Earth can Chris Uba, who was linked to the Ekitigate saga, be able to win the national chairman of APGA, Chief Victor Umeh in a senatorial challenge. Shame on you Umeh, I hope you have learn to trust the PDP, after you sold your birthright!!!

The whole IGBO land canvassed for the PDP, just for a morsel of bread, when all the bigger share of the PDP 21 billion naira campaign money was spent mainly to the south westerners kings, politicians and people. The Igbos forgot that there should be a balance in our approach to politics. Today, The senate president seat that should have been given to the Igbo descent, is now going to Bukola Saraki of Kwara State. Thanks to Gov. Rochas Okorocha, and Chris Ngige, who deem it fit to join the APC just to get a notable position for the Igbo people, when the likes of Umeh are castigating them.

April 11th will be another contest for the House of Assembly all accross the Nation, I hope and pray that APGA will gather at least a seat. Otherwise, the only sitting APGA governor, Gov. Willie Obiano should be ready to face impeachment from the opposition legislator who are ready to take the state from him or decamp to their sides. Then, that might be the end of APGA, The party that Ojukwu strive to build.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright by 42n8dzydoo(m): 7:12pm On Apr 05, 2015
K
Re: How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright by prinzeepule(m): 7:19pm On Apr 05, 2015
Noted* Igbo should be the one's pushing for one Nigeria at this Juncture
Re: How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright by Ymodulus: 7:24pm On Apr 05, 2015
Typing
Re: How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright by espn(m): 8:17pm On Apr 05, 2015
Nice one OP. But they won't listen..na today?

2 Likes

Re: How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright by Nobody: 8:36pm On Apr 05, 2015
Hmmm.. interesting read. I hope we would learn
Re: How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright by dazangel11(f): 8:53pm On Apr 05, 2015
who cares a beg leave Igbo alone
Re: How The Igbo's Betrayed Ojukwu & Sold Their Birthright by Change2015(m): 8:56pm On Apr 05, 2015
Unfortunately I don't think APGA can be rescued from death. When Tinubu saw the foolishness of Afenifere dining with Obasanjo, he turned and built a different Road, and see where he is today. I almost wept when I was told that prof Ben nwabueze was one of the ohaneze leaders that endorsed Jonathan. At his age even silence would have been better. His legal opinions on matters of national importance have always captivated me but endorsing Jonathan leaves me minus one of my few igbo hero's. I admire Utomi, but he is too much of a business man, but certainly he is a good christian too.
I ask igbo people, what did ikemba do to you? You rejected him for Senate, prefer pdp at every contest by massive margins... Even massob collected judas coins to campaign against the elections and Jega. If you say you have self-interested leaders why not change them? Even now Ijaw people have been warning Asari... It is not enough to say as long as you are making a living, by your actions you have lifted the Ijaw to a level that threatens your own significance. It is not as if Jonathan was even a useful person to himself, the man is close to being an alcoholic and his management skills are a few steps above zero. How can this be your devoted friend? As OP asks what exactly did he do in the East? If Ojukwu was still here do you think he can even employ a secretary like Jonathan?

#change
#GMB
#APC
#Ambode-LagosGov
#oneNigeria

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING NEWS!!! NBC Director-general, Emeka Mba, Arrested / See This Casket That Was Used To Bury A Rich Man In Anambra [photo] / Why Are Nigerians Not Patriotic; Where Did We Get It All Wrong?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.