Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,193 members, 7,953,694 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 11:37 PM

Please Recommend A Good Book - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Please Recommend A Good Book (1198 Views)

Please, Recommend a good book for a depressed fellow. / Please Recommend Good 'modern' African Literature / Got A Good Book?, We Would Pay For The Audiobook Publishing (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Recommend A Good Book by Henrypraise: 8:26pm On Apr 05, 2015
Hello writers n readers,

My younger broda's 20th birthday comes up on d 10th of april dis week n he has asked dat I buy him a good book.

He is still in school n I tink he is tryin to understand his purpose in life, he is studyin to be a mechanical engineer.

Pls kindly recommend a good book, not very lenghty n expensive also easy to come by.
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by sage1000: 9:03pm On Apr 05, 2015
Depends what kind of book are you looking for Fiction or Non-fiction, what genre etc

For A guy looking for his purpose

- A Purpose Driven Life
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
- God's Big Idea
those are good places to start
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by Henrypraise: 9:34pm On Apr 05, 2015
sage1000:
Depends what kind of book are you looking for Fiction or Non-fiction, what genre etc

For A guy looking for his purpose

- A Purpose Driven Life
- Seven Habits of Highly Effective People
- God's Big Idea
those are good places to start

Tank u 4 ur suggestion. I tink its a book generally about life n its essence, or how life works. Not very churchy, more realistic.
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by stuff46(m): 9:59pm On Apr 05, 2015
check out Gifted hands by Ben carson.
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by Nobody: 1:26am On Apr 06, 2015
I'll recommend, "Who Moved my Cheese " by Dr Spencer Johnson I can send the ebook to you.

Here is my review of the book:

Who Moved My Cheese

I'm going to look at the book from two angles: 1) someone who you think is your confidant, but always draws you back by foreseeing misfortune in anything you aspire to lay your hands on; 2) a country who dwells more on her failure than on how to solve problems and move away from current situation.

But first...

Just like how Frank, Elaine, Jessica, Angela and even the narrator, Michael, all told one another the challenges they all went through before attaining what they did, let me also succinctly put mine thus:

I had unrestricted access to money, clothing, and essentials of life up till SS2.

I believed things would continue that way. It was the sweetest getting everything I wanted. I never envisaged change because I had a father who was there; a father who suffered before becoming a local millionaire in my hometown; determined never to allow his kids pass through the same trouble.

He was always there. But things changed suddenly while I was writing my first external examination, GCE in 1999.

The father died, he wasn't sick, everything was going on smoothly nice with him outside until his death.

His story could be likened to Richard Cory.

The day i heard the news of his demise at the neighboring town where I was writing my exam, I said to myself, "this Is the end of my carrier." I was even cursing myself.

My point is:

I never prepared for change, I hardly thought of it. I attached my present situation to the future believing things would not cease to be sweet.

And again, I was afraid of what lay ahead. The fear had advantage over me, it suppressed me because I allowed it to until I said to myself, "he's gone, you've to move with your own life. "

Late though, the steps I took were worth it.

God moved my Cheese.

The Cheese, was my father.

I was Hay!

In relation to everyday situation....

Someone Who You Think Is Your Confidant, But Always Draws You Back By Foreseeing Misfortune In Anything You Aspire To Lay Your Hands On

That said. Now to the way I see this book, Who moved my Cheese

Everyone cannot share your dream. If you share a dream with somebody and keeps pulling you back by his pessimistic words, you need to move on just like Hem was always discouraging Hay from taking action. Hem is a pessimist while Hay is optimist.

Second:

A country who dwells more on her failure than on how to solve problems and move away from current situation.

Nigeria is a typical example of this. It had been foreseen more than a decade that one day there would be fall in the price of crude oil in international market.

Nigeria never prepared. Her leaders were, and are still, busying themselves siphoning and swallowing beyond their fill, hoping that things would remain sweeter. Nigeria, a typical Hem, is still asking,

Who Moved my Cheese?

What led to the fall of crude oil in the international market?

Instead of her leaders to change ways they think, look for an alternative, they remain Hem. And the country is standing still. This had led to the budget of one of the ministries to be slashed from more a hundred billion naira to less than twelve billion.

Nigeria is Hem

Thank you Damilare for sharing the book with me.

Honestly new actions to take, new moves to initiate, to implement kept pouring in as I was reading this book. I allotted a nice time for myself to read it from 12:10am-2:30am.
Thank you!

To others who will be reading this book, who are you?

Snif?
Scurry?
Hem?
Hay?

Don't you worry, you'll definitely know yourself before getting to page 16. The book is just 32-page.

But we must not forget that if Hay had not passed through the challenges, he wouldn't be sharing this with us. And we wouldn't have been inspired.

My favourite quotes from Who Moved My Cheese

The More Important Your Cheese Is To You The More You Want To Hold On To It.

If You Do Not Change, You Can Become Extinct.

What Would You Do If You Weren't Afraid.

When You Move Beyond Your Fear, You Feel Free.

The Quicker You Let Go Of Old Cheese, The Sooner You Find New Cheese.

It Is Better To Search In The Maze Than Remain In A Cheeseless Situation.

Old Beliefs Do Not Lead You To New Cheese.

Noticing Small Changes Early Helps You Adapt To The Bigger Changes That Are To Come.

Read Who Moved My Cheese by Dr. Spencer Johnson and grade yourself.

Drop your email address and I'll drop it in there..... free
Or reach me on 08065277758
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by tpiadotcom: 4:20am On Apr 06, 2015
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by tpiadotcom: 4:20am On Apr 06, 2015
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by Henrypraise: 7:03am On Apr 06, 2015
Tanks a lot tpiadotcom I really like d review. I will add u up on watsapp.
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by Nobody: 8:04pm On Apr 06, 2015
HenryPraise. I've forwarded the ebook into your email address.

And if you can't get there lemme know please.

I couldn't upload it on this platform
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by Nobody: 8:08pm On Apr 06, 2015
HenryPraise. I've forwarded the ebook into your email address.

And if you can't get there lemme know please.
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by tpiadotcom: 8:14pm On Apr 06, 2015
Henrypraise:
Tanks a lot tpiadotcom I really like d review. I will add u up on watsapp.

how do you propose to do that?
Re: Please Recommend A Good Book by HAMZGRAZ: 6:46am On Jul 05, 2016
The Principal Thing, by Christopher Ibeh

The Principal Thing elucidates the need for 'applied wisdom', without which man may battle ceaseless with retardation in life. It links knowledge, understanding, wisdom and applied wisdom and demonstrates how man can also be pregnant, giving birth to witty inventions, and fulfilling his purpose.

The book provides appropriate answers to pertinent questions about life such as: how did I come into existence? What is my purpose of existence? Was man designed to rule man? Can any man solve all the problems of his nation? When will terror end? Why is democracy failing and the need for a modified democracy? Why Africa has remained underdeveloped and how Africa can live its purpose? Why and when will we have BREXIT leading to GEEXIT, FREXIT, and GREXIT etc? And how can man and every nation fulfill her purpose of existence. It is a guide to a fulfilled living for every man and nation.

Available in ePub Format

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/Hamz_Graz

(1) (Reply)

The Lord Of All Things Broken: Unfinished First Draft. Fantasy +scifi Novel / THE LAST SHOT (a Short Story) / Start Learning With Amazing Video Tutorials (education, Certifications & Skills)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.