Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,726 members, 7,816,987 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:15 PM

Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder (6609 Views)

Knocking Sound / Rattling, Knocking Sound After Changing Oil Seal / I Noticed A Wonder Suv In 2006 V8 Volkswagen Touareg (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by sultaan(m): 3:44pm On Apr 08, 2015
You have not been doing regular oil change to that car, maybe topping it off and there was sign of over heat in the engine.
Compare your engine to this engine

https://www.nairaland.com/1996850/need-new-engine-toyota-avalon#28024410

and this engine
https://www.nairaland.com/852138/how#10373320

those build up can also result from using wrong grade of oil with no detergent in them.

Here could be a lesson why buying the right oil saves money when compared to the cheap oils

like they said earlier there is no cheap fix for this just get a replacement engine.

A repair will be a new block, crankshaft, rods, pistons, bearings, seals, rings and an expert. then you have to know the heads will still work.

Remember the mechanic will tell you he can rebuild it, he will get paid for a job you will still end up with a bad motor, so only consider an advice that will result in a good engine and it is not necessarily the cheapest option.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 11:56pm On Apr 08, 2015
sultaan:
You have not been doing regular oil change to that car, maybe topping it off and there was sign of over heat in the engine.
Compare your engine to this engine

https://www.nairaland.com/1996850/need-new-engine-toyota-avalon#28024410

and this engine
https://www.nairaland.com/852138/how#10373320

those build up can also result from using wrong grade of oil with no detergent in them.

Here could be a lesson why buying the right oil saves money when compared to the cheap oils

like they said earlier there is no cheap fix for this just get a replacement engine.

A repair will be a new block, crankshaft, rods, pistons, bearings, seals, rings and an expert. then you have to know the heads will still work.

Remember the mechanic will tell you he can rebuild it, he will get paid for a job you will still end up with a bad motor, so only consider an advice that will result in a good engine and it is not necessarily the cheapest option.

FYI d car is been serviced very month with Nissan engine oil.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 12:04am On Apr 09, 2015
noel76:
FYI d car is been serviced very month with Nissan engine oil.

An oil change every 4 weeks?? This car is costing more in oil than gasoline.

1 Like

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by disloman(m): 8:32am On Apr 09, 2015
Siena:

An oil change every 4 weeks?? This car is costing more in oil than gasoline.
I don't believe d guy.It's madness.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 11:44pm On Apr 09, 2015
disloman:
I don't believe d guy.It's madness.

believe it or not dats d truth. anyway just got a replacement engine will b taking it to benin 1st tin 2morrow.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by disloman(m): 10:01am On Apr 10, 2015
noel76:

believe it or not dats d truth. anyway just got a replacement engine will b taking it to benin 1st tin 2morrow.
Nice 2 hear that.God will bless u o.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 3:42am On Apr 11, 2015
@ house d engine has been partially installed, will b completed later today. Bt d mech. That introduced me to the guy dat sold the engine advised dat I shud use mobile XHP wen servicing d engine. Bt I normally use nissan engine oil. because d last tyme I used mobile XHP on d car some years back, it led to excessive smoking and bad rings. The mech. Said dat the nissan engine oil I normally use is too light for the engine. Pls guys wats ur take cos I dnt want to see or hear story dat touch again.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by GAZZUZZ(m): 6:23am On Apr 11, 2015
noel76:
@ house d engine has been partially installed, will b completed later today. Bt d mech. That introduced me to the guy dat sold the engine advised dat I shud use mobile XHP wen servicing d engine. Bt I normally use nissan engine oil. because d last tyme I used mobile XHP on d car some years back, it led to excessive smoking and bad rings. The mech. Said dat the nissan engine oil I normally use is too light for the engine. Pls guys wats ur take cos I dnt want to see or hear story dat touch again.

Who is in charge? Who bought the engine? Who's money will buy the engine oil? Seems you have a lot of money to throw around. You know the right thing to do.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 7:53am On Apr 11, 2015
GAZZUZZ:

Who is in charge? Who bought the engine? Who's money will buy the engine oil? Seems you have a lot of money to throw around. You know the right thing to do.

As in eh. The guy money dey flow like river water. Its a very simple thing for him to consult his owner's manual or online resources, yet he's following what kazeems' says.
There was a reason I didn't input in this thread till now.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Denn(m): 7:55am On Apr 11, 2015
noel76:

Are you really sure the 'Nissan Engine Oil ' you have been using all these while is genuine?

Why not start with the manufacturer recommend oil weight and get a good brand...

XHP is a 20W50 oil and I am 100% certain is not the recommended weight.

Get the recommended weight.

If you can spend over half a million of scarce naira on an engine, oil of 12k should not be too expensive.

NB. ..your engine cost would get you 2 acres of land near my farm...that is 12 full plots of fertile land. Don't make a wrong oil decision.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by sultaan(m): 7:56am On Apr 11, 2015
pot a pic of the nissan engine oil you use and a pic of XHP so we can explain what to use and what to look for on the oil can
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Denn(m): 8:01am On Apr 11, 2015
sultaan:
pot a pic of the nissan engine oil you use and a pic of XHP so we can explain what to use and what to look for on the oil can

The Nigerian Mobil XHP is a 20W50 grade.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by chukel(m): 10:05am On Apr 11, 2015
i'm sure the so called nissan oil is still 20w50.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 10:17pm On Apr 11, 2015
sultaan:

Pics of both oils.

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 10:43pm On Apr 11, 2015
20W-50 oil is way too thick and heavy for any multivalve engine built after 1998. Just because Nissan actually stock 20W-50 oil, in Nissan-branded cans does NOT mean it's suitable for you truck.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 3:58am On Apr 12, 2015
Siena:
20W-50 oil is way too thick and heavy for any multivalve engine built after 1998. Just because Nissan actually stock 20W-50 oil, in Nissan-branded cans does NOT mean it's suitable for you truck.

Please wat do u advice? Engine has been installed and I will b driving d truck back to ph this morning, is there anything I shud b mindful of?
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by sultaan(m): 4:19am On Apr 12, 2015
Here is a copy of your owners manual, in section 9 , 5 W30 is preferred but 10w30 and 10w40 can be used in Nigeria 20w50 will not lubricate properly because it is too heavy

http://www.courtesyparts.com/pdf/2006-Nissan-Pathfinder.pdf

Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Denn(m): 6:44am On Apr 12, 2015
sultaan:
Here is a copy of your owners manual, in section 9 , 5 W30 is preferred but 10w30 and 10w40 can be used in Nigeria 20w50 will not lubricate properly because it is too heavy

Based on this, i would recommend the use of Nigerian Mobil 1. It is a 0W40 synthetic if op can't get 5W30.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 6:54am On Apr 12, 2015
sultaan:

Pls where can I get 10w30 orb10w40 and how is it?
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by nurey(m): 8:31am On Apr 12, 2015
noel76:

Pls where can I get 10w30 orb10w40 and how is it?

Walk into any of this fueling stations and ask for their synthetic blend which will have stamped on it the recommended oil weight
Mobil
Total
MRS
Forte oil

Those are the ones I know and have seen their full synthetic oil.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by noel76(m): 7:57pm On Apr 12, 2015
nurey:

Walk into any of this fueling stations and ask for their synthetic blend which will have stamped on it the recommended oil weight
Mobil
Total
MRS
Forte oil

Those are the ones I know and have seen their full synthetic oil.

Ok tanks.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by michnib: 10:15pm On Nov 23, 2016
Hi All, I'm presently experiencing similar problem with my Frontier 2005 VQ40DE. I have changed the engine block and camshaft about a year ago when I had issues with the engine. The major issue is that the vehicle oil pressure drops well after some minutes on warm-up, that apart one of those I buy parts from at Ladipo called my attention to changing my engine with a 3.5L engine (VQ35DE) the sensor type engine. I'm skeptical about doing this swap though it is cheaper. My reasons are
1. Performance uncertainty.
2. Consumption of VQ35DE to VQ40DE shows that VQ40DE will go father than VQ35DE on same gallon.

Please advise me on what to do. Thanks.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by erico2k2(m): 10:32pm On Nov 23, 2016
majalisa:
try tracking siena or cityNG,they might be able to help..goodluck
c
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by vinideangelo(m): 2:19pm On Dec 01, 2016
Good day everyone,i have a Nissan pathfinder 05 but with a 3.5 engine.recently i started hearing a cracking noise from the engine and my mechanic suggested i change the timing chain and adjuster.Please i need your opinions on this.Thanks in advance.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by erico2k2(m): 11:27am On Dec 02, 2016
vinideangelo:
Good day everyone,i have a Nissan pathfinder 05 but with a 3.5 engine.recently i started hearing a cracking noise from the engine and my mechanic suggested i change the timing chain and adjuster.Please i need your opinions on this.Thanks in advance.
TO come to that conclusion he needs to have open your engine and inspected the chain and check the adjuster for weakens, its not something you diagnose by guessing.You are not meant to change teh chain if there is nothing wrong with it.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 3:01pm On Dec 02, 2016
vinideangelo:
Good day everyone,i have a Nissan pathfinder 05 but with a 3.5 engine...
There's no 2005 Pathfinder with 3.5L engine.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by chukel(m): 1:46pm On Dec 05, 2016
Costee:

There's no 2005 Pathfinder with 3.5L engine.
costee, pls how much can I get bumper and fog lamps for 2002 infiniti Qx4. Thanks.
Re: Help! Serious Knocking Sound In 2006 Nissan Pathfinder by Nobody: 2:43pm On Dec 05, 2016
chukel:
costee, pls how much can I get bumper and fog lamps for 2002 infiniti Qx4. Thanks.
Sorry, I'm no parts vendor. Check out Nissparts.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Error Code: P0741 (corolla '07) / Price Of New Model Cars On Nairaland? / I Have 3.5M & I Want To Buy A Car. What Do You Suggest For Me.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.