Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,909 members, 7,852,055 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 12:07 PM

Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. (1223 Views)

What An APC Fan Was Doing In Akwa Ibom State (Photo) / ‘factors That Aided Apc’s Victory At The Polls’ - Tinubu's Aide, Dare, Reveals / Celebrations Throu Out Port Harcourt Over APC Victory (pix) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by Sheikwonder(m): 3:27pm On Apr 06, 2015
People who say that it would be better to retain the present administration in Lagos so as to align with the APC at the Federal level are quite myopic in my opinion .
I may not be a politician, but I do understand that there are benefits in having opposition parties rule in various tiers of government . One of these is to check the powers and excesses of the ruling party .
Consider the Nigerian example . Since the inception of democracy in 1999, there has been one ruling party in power with the same party, the PDP, holding a majority control at the Upper and Lower houses [House of Assembly and House of Representatives respectively] as well as at the state level. This made Nigeria become tagged as a one-party state with the PDP even laying claims to being the largest political party in Africa. The effect that this had became ostensible, graft was at an all time high and venality became a norm because there was nothing to checkmate the excesses of the ruling party. In time though,various opposition parties emerged and soon the PDP's power base began to enervate at the state level. Soon this translated to increased seats for the opposition at the Upper and Lower houses as they began to find steady footing. It did not take long for mergers to form and a super merger of the major opposition parties in 2013 led to the formation of the APC. What ensued next was a series of mass defections from the ruling party to the APC at different levels of government with a major turning point occuring when General Olusegun Obasanjo, former president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria who was president while on the platform of the PDP, openly tore his membership card.
In the build-up to the 2015 presidential elections, there was mass propaganda, muckraking and mud-slinging by the two major parties. The APC were a thorn on the flesh of the PDP. Each of these parties came up with their campaign mantra; the PDP preached "Transformation" while the APC opted for "Change". What difference exists between those two words is open to debate, but I digress.
With the presidential elections done and dusted, a new government will emerge come 29th May. Yet my main concern is that the two major parties are threading uncharted waters. There has been a trade in places as the opposition party becomes for the first time a ruling party, while the ruling party would also for the first time play a role on the sidelines as the opposition.
Going by trends observed in the Nigerian polity, one can rightly predict that there would be defections especially from the PDP to the APC. However it would be a real test of character and political willpower to see how the PDP will perform at the forthcoming gubernatorial elections.
It would be a shame to see the PDP disintergrate without putting up a fight. While they may have lost out on the presidential seat, the President has scored his party a major point by his magnanimity in defeat that has gone a long way in dousing tension in the country. I believe the PDP can capitalize on this rather than go on the futile exercise of pointing accusing fingers at themselves. Now is the time to show solidarity and give the APC a run for their money.
The recent comments by the Lagos Monarch, Oba Akiolu, has put things in new perspective. In a statement attributed to him, he issued an ultimatum to the Igbos in Lagos to vote in APC at the gubernatorial elections or face dire consequences. I think it is a shame that a respected traditional ruler would resort to coercion in a bid to garner votes for his preferred candidate. It also sounds a warning bell which I feel should not be ignored.
For those who are not aware, Lagos alone generates about 65% of Nigeria’s non-oil GDP. Essentially what this means is that an APC victory in Lagos would put a very vast bulk of Nigeria’s income in the hands of one party. British historian and moralist, John Emerich Acton aptly put it in his timeless quote when he said “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men”. I do not mean to denigrate or be vituperative towards the APC, but the comments by Oba Akiolu who has been a staunch supporter of the APC has raised fears that the APC desperately want to cling to power. It is for this reason that I have chosen to air my views on this matter and to remind Nigerians and particularly Lagosians on the need to properly reflect before they cast their votes come the 11th of April. The PDP ruled Nigeria for 16 years and in all that time they could not win Lagos. Even with the backing of Federal might, they could not oust the ruling party in Lagos, a feat which has been ascribed to the the political ingenuity of Tinubu. He has been rightly hailed in certain quarters of the press for his tenacity and his grit in standing up to the PDP and breaking their monopoly on power.
Now however, he is on the other side of the divide. He is no longer the underdog but now the Godfather, and it is pertinent to note that while an APC victory in Lagos may not necessarily spell doom, it places so much power in their hands that can very easily be subject to abuse.
So whether you are for “Transformation” or for “Change”, the question is, are you going to repeat the same mistake and repose all that power in the hands of one party or are you going to use your PVC to place a check on the government?
The choice is yours……..

#GodBlessNigeria
#VoteWisely
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by temitemi1(m): 3:30pm On Apr 06, 2015
JK is OK... GEJ my HERO! FAYOSE my role MODEL!!
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by adebisicutie: 3:32pm On Apr 06, 2015
Jimi already told us to ensure we align Lagos with the centre

Plus with the tribal devision Jimi is trying to start , voting him will be the biggest mistake for Lagos . How can a responsible man be sharing this

2 Likes

Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by missangela: 4:02pm On Apr 06, 2015
Jimi Agbaje is the man for the Job!
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by Nobody: 4:05pm On Apr 06, 2015
missangela:
Jimi Agbaje is the man for the Job!
Which foolish job??the job they could not do for 16 years at the federal level??the fact is that agbaje will not win this election because he lacks track records and also the party he is coming from....PDP can never win lagos for now until they start to do things the right way

4 Likes

Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by Lordtrillion(m): 4:08pm On Apr 06, 2015
Ok
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by Nobody: 4:10pm On Apr 06, 2015
Meanwhile

Oba of Lagos Rilwan akiolu has threaten to kill all the igbos in lagos and throw them into the Lagoon if the do not vote for Apc Governorship candidiate Ambode.

Oba of Lagos, Rilwan Akiolu, has read the riot act to Igbo lead­ers and monarchs in Lagos State, warning that he will make life unbearable for them if they sabotage efforts being made to ensure that the governorship candidate of All Progressives Congress (APC) Mr. Akinwunmi Am­bode, emerges as the next governor of the state.

The monarch, who sum­moned all the Eze-Ndigbo in the state to his palace, said the support of their kensmen for the opposition party in the state could frustrate current ef­forts being made in all quarters to ensure that Lagos was no longer in opposition with the Federal Government.

He said: “On Saturday, if anyone of you goes against Ambode, who I picked, that is your end. If it does not happen within seven days, just know that I am a bastard and it is not my father who gave birth to me.

“By the grace of God, I am the owner of Lagos for the time being. This is an undivid­ed chair. The palace belongs to the dead and those coming in the future. On Saturday, if anyone of you, I swear in the name of God, goes against my wish that Ambode will be the next governor of Lagos State, the person is going to die in­side this water.

“For the Igbo and others in Lagos, they should go where the Oba of Lagos heads to. When they were coming to the state, they did not come with all their houses. But now, they have properties in the state. So they must do my bidding. And that is the bidding of the ances­tors of Lagos and God.

“I am not ready to beg you. Nobody knew how I picked Ambode. Jimi is my blood relation and I told him that he could never be governor in Lagos for now. The future belongs to God. I am not beg­ging anybody, but what you people cannot do in Onitsha, Aba or anywhere you cannot do it here.”

http://sunnewsonline.com/new/?p=113029
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by Alphaoscar: 4:15pm On Apr 06, 2015
Sheikwonder:
People who say that it would be better to retain the present administration in Lagos so as to align with the APC at the Federal level are quite myopic in my opinion .
I may not be a politician, but I do understand that there are benefits in having opposition parties rule in various tiers of government . One of these is to check the powers and excesses of the ruling party .
Consider the Nigerian example . Since the inception of democracy in 1999, there has been one ruling party in power with the same party, the PDP, holding a majority control at the Upper and Lower houses [House of Assembly and House of Representatives respectively] as well as at the state level. This made Nigeria become tagged as a one-party state with the PDP even laying claims to being the largest political party in Africa. The effect that this had became ostensible, graft was at an all time high and venality became a norm because there was nothing to checkmate the excesses of the ruling party. In time though,various opposition parties emerged and soon the PDP's power base began to enervate at the state level. Soon this translated to increased seats for the opposition at the Upper and Lower houses as they began to find steady footing. It did not take long for mergers to form and a super merger of the major opposition parties in 2013 led to the formation of the APC. What ensued next was a series of mass defections from the ruling party to the APC at different levels of government with a major turning point occuring when General Olusegun Obasanjo, former president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria who was president while on the platform of the PDP, openly tore his membership card.
In the build-up to the 2015 presidential elections, there was mass propaganda, muckraking and mud-slinging by the two major parties. The APC were a thorn on the flesh of the PDP. Each of these parties came up with their campaign mantra; the PDP preached "Transformation" while the APC opted for "Change". What difference exists between those two words is open to debate, but I digress.
With the presidential elections done and dusted, a new government will emerge come 29th May. Yet my main concern is that the two major parties are threading uncharted waters. There has been a trade in places as the opposition party becomes for the first time a ruling party, while the ruling party would also for the first time play a role on the sidelines as the opposition.
Going by trends observed in the Nigerian polity, one can rightly predict that there would be defections especially from the PDP to the APC. However it would be a real test of character and political willpower to see how the PDP will perform at the forthcoming gubernatorial elections.
It would be a shame to see the PDP disintergrate without putting up a fight. While they may have lost out on the presidential seat, the President has scored his party a major point by his magnanimity in defeat that has gone a long way in dousing tension in the country. I believe the PDP can capitalize on this rather than go on the futile exercise of pointing accusing fingers at themselves. Now is the time to show solidarity and give the APC a run for their money.
The recent comments by the Lagos Monarch, Oba Akiolu, has put things in new perspective. In a statement attributed to him, he issued an ultimatum to the Igbos in Lagos to vote in APC at the gubernatorial elections or face dire consequences. I think it is a shame that a respected traditional ruler would resort to coercion in a bid to garner votes for his preferred candidate. It also sounds a warning bell which I feel should not be ignored.
For those who are not aware, Lagos alone generates about 65% of Nigeria’s non-oil GDP. Essentially what this means is that an APC victory in Lagos would put a very vast bulk of Nigeria’s income in the hands of one party. British historian and moralist, John Emerich Acton aptly put it in his timeless quote when he said “Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men”. I do not mean to denigrate or be vituperative towards the APC, but the comments by Oba Akiolu who has been a staunch supporter of the APC has raised fears that the APC desperately want to cling to power. It is for this reason that I have chosen to air my views on this matter and to remind Nigerians and particularly Lagosians on the need to properly reflect before they cast their votes come the 11th of April. The PDP ruled Nigeria for 16 years and in all that time they could not win Lagos. Even with the backing of Federal might, they could not oust the ruling party in Lagos, a feat which has been ascribed to the the political ingenuity of Tinubu. He has been rightly hailed in certain quarters of the press for his tenacity and his grit in standing up to the PDP and breaking their monopoly on power.
Now however, he is on the other side of the divide. He is no longer the underdog but now the Godfather, and it is pertinent to note that while an APC victory in Lagos may not necessarily spell doom, it places so much power in their hands that can very easily be subject to abuse.
So whether you are for “Transformation” or for “Change”, the question is, are you going to repeat the same mistake and repose all that power in the hands of one party or are you going to use your PVC to place a check on the government?
The choice is yours……..

#GodBlessNigeria
#VoteWisely

Let another state(Enugu, Abia, Bayelsa etc) also serve as the base of the opposition politics for another 16years like Lagos and let us see what the government of such a state can do. Lagos state laboured to enthron the incoming government at the center and it must not be denied the opportunity of reaping from his hard fought labour. No Southwestern state is ready to be in opposition now

4 Likes

Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by missangela: 4:18pm On Apr 06, 2015
wakacome:
Which foolish job??the job they could not do for 16 years at the federal level??the fact is that agbaje will not win this election because he lacks track records and also the party he is coming from....PDP can never win lagos for now until they start to do things the right way[/b]

One party system will destroy our democracy
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by bamidele029: 4:22pm On Apr 06, 2015
missangela:

So are there no other PDP states, why must a Lagos be used as PDP experiment God forbid

2 Likes

Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by Nobody: 4:22pm On Apr 06, 2015
missangela:

We already have two parties system,na me talk say make PDP loose at the federal level??

1 Like

Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by emekanwokoye225: 5:15pm On Apr 06, 2015
when i read some comments it really gets me worried as to the future of democracy...

1. This election has brought out the beast in alot of people. with vicious lies and personal attacks on people.
as regards the ALLEGED statement of HRH Oba Rilwan Akiolu of Lagos, those are nothing but vicious lies.

They are lies dredged up by the opposition to further their cause at the expense of a Monarchy that has been around for centuries.

the Oba did not threaten anybody!!!

u all should have the fear of GOD before coming out to judge a matter u are unsure of, my soul and my march to spend an eternity in paradise will not let me give credence to what people cannot substantiate..

even a close friend, my nwanyioma, also told me the same thing this afternoon that she knew for a fact that it was not true

think twice my people

also, Mr Jimi Agbaje is a fine man, no doubt
He was a silver spoon rich kid who went to the best schools and had no worries,
that shows in his eloquence and bearing when it comes to public speaking as he has spent alot of time and gathered alot of experience dealing with the media , and public speaking

Mr Akinwunmi Ambode is a fine man,
who came from humble beginnings, a self made man,
an accountant/ financial person who spends most of his time away from the lime light and dealing with real issues

i would choose Mr Ambode as he is a man who has experienced what the average Lagosian goes through,
he has felt our pain as opposed to Mr silver spoon fed, spoilt rich kid Agbaje who has had money all his life (his dad was MD First bank - too much money)

Ambode has not had as much practise as Agbaje, hence Agbaje's edge on public speaking
But sit them both down, one-on-one, u will see the intelligence in the man, Ambode

Ambode got the second overall best result in West Sfrica in his HSC, in his time

He has exhibited stability and resourcefulness

unlike Jimi Agbaje who has bounced from party to Party all in the bid to be Governor...
unlike Jimi Agbaje who changes his statements like a chameleon, first because PDP was in power he wanted us to align with the Federal government, now he doesnt want it anymore because PDP is not there again??

if its better for lagos he should stick to his words, but his selfish ambition wont let him see beyond his quest for the Governorship of Lagos

be wise

vote Akinwuni Ambode 2015

2 Likes

Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by hefelove(m): 5:32pm On Apr 06, 2015
May God bless the nigga above me, dem no go set u up, dem no go get u,
Ambode for the next Governor if u don't agree with me let's meet at the national stadium surulere at the boxing wring and sort it out
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by kamer: 6:04pm On Apr 06, 2015
That OBAs statement has lost ambode 5 votes me,my mum,my girl, and two of my guys who were before now undecided....
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by Sheikwonder(m): 7:49pm On Apr 06, 2015
Alphaoscar:

Let another state(Enugu, Abia, Bayelsa etc) also serve as the base of the opposition politics for another 16years like Lagos and let us see what the government of such a state can do. Lagos state laboured to enthron the incoming government at the center and it must not be denied the opportunity of reaping from his hard fought labour. No Southwestern state is ready to be in opposition now

This is exactly why APC is considered a regional party and not a national one.So because Tinubu played a part in enthroning GMB,he should be given a free ride in Lagos.Where then is the democracy in that? Lagos is gradually turning into an oligarchy wherein the elite will have a stronghold of power without ever relinquishing it. Lagos has made progress,but much of it is peripheral and has come at a great cost.They have always preached change,here's a chance to see that effected in Lagos....

Peace.
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by Alphaoscar: 7:53pm On Apr 06, 2015
Sheikwonder:

This is exactly why APC is considered a regional party and not a national one.So because Tinubu played a part in enthroning GMB,he should be given a free ride in Lagos.Where then is the democracy in that? Lagos is gradually turning into an oligarchy wherein the elite will have a stronghold of power without ever relinquishing it. Lagos has made progress,but much of it is peripheral and has come at a great cost.They have always preached change,here's a chance to see that effected in Lagos....

Peace.

Its not my fault that you have some problem with comprehension. Sorry Bro.
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by dayo23(f): 8:19pm On Apr 06, 2015
temitemi1:
JK is OK... GEJ my HERO! FAYOSE my role MODEL!!
GEJ now your HERO?? grin grin. GEJ roboot
Re: Why An APC Victory In Lagos May Not Be A Good Thing. by dayo23(f): 8:24pm On Apr 06, 2015
emekanwokoye225:
when i read some comments it really gets me worried as to the future of democracy...

1. This election has brought out the beast in alot of people. with vicious lies and personal attacks on people.
as regards the ALLEGED statement of HRH Oba Rilwan Akiolu of Lagos, those are nothing but vicious lies.

They are lies dredged up by the opposition to further their cause at the expense of a Monarchy that has been around for centuries.

the Oba did not threaten anybody!!!

u all should have the fear of GOD before coming out to judge a matter u are unsure of, my soul and my march to spend an eternity in paradise will not let me give credence to what people cannot substantiate..

even a close friend, my nwanyioma, also told me the same thing this afternoon that she knew for a fact that it was not true

think twice my people

also, Mr Jimi Agbaje is a fine man, no doubt
He was a silver spoon rich kid who went to the best schools and had no worries,
that shows in his eloquence and bearing when it comes to public speaking as he has spent alot of time and gathered alot of experience dealing with the media , and public speaking

Mr Akinwunmi Ambode is a fine man,
who came from humble beginnings, a self made man,
an accountant/ financial person who spends most of his time away from the lime light and dealing with real issues

i would choose Mr Ambode as he is a man who has experienced what the average Lagosian goes through,
he has felt our pain as opposed to Mr silver spoon fed, spoilt rich kid Agbaje who has had money all his life (his dad was MD First bank - too much money)

Ambode has not had as much practise as Agbaje, hence Agbaje's edge on public speaking
But sit them both down, one-on-one, u will see the intelligence in the man, Ambode

Ambode got the second overall best result in West Sfrica in his HSC, in his time

He has exhibited stability and resourcefulness

unlike Jimi Agbaje who has bounced from party to Party all in the bid to be Governor...
unlike Jimi Agbaje who changes his statements like a chameleon, first because PDP was in power he wanted us to align with the Federal government, now he doesnt want it anymore because PDP is not there again??

if its better for lagos he should stick to his words, but his selfish ambition wont let him see beyond his quest for the Governorship of Lagos

be wise

vote Akinwuni Ambode 2015

(1) (Reply)

Court Orders National Assembly To Disclose Allowances Paid To Its Lawmakers! / Breaking News: Boko Haram Rescues 300 Girls From Sambisa Forest / Black Igbo Month: Christopher Okigbo The Poet Who Died Fighting For Biafra

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 73
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.