Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,545 members, 7,823,390 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:36 AM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55281 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 3:39pm On Sep 09, 2010
I understand MTN has been using SAT-3 from Benin Republic thru Suburban. @Djcn, so you noticed the improvement too on glo 3G Plus. sincerley @tomcat, i don't really care if they are using glo1 fibre or not, at the service level nobody should complain. haba with dowload speeds that peaks at 300kB/s, what more do you really want. right now, i'm getting VALUE for my bucks!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 4:22pm On Sep 09, 2010
netotse:

@tomcat
i know just wanted to use it to benchmark for when they finally deploy the glo1

P.S. how can you tell when a company is using subsea cables? i know you said from the traceroute or speedtest but i still dont get how you do it. . .

indeed you can do it via the tracert from the command prompt, and see what kind of ping you are getting but there are simpler ways as well:

1. open your command prompt and type: ping www.yahoo.co.uk or any other site in UK (i always check with UK). If the ping is between 120-350ms it's fiber optic. If the ping is anything above 570-600ms it's satellite, as signal needs to travel all the way from here to the satellite and down to earth again.

As far as i know MTN 3g has switched traffic to main one.

2. Easier still: go to www.visualroute.com and go to livedemo. In there chose a server, normally i chose one from london UK, and then press start, it will show you all the hops that the traffic is passing to reach your computer, in most cases you can even tell which internet wholesale provider they are using.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 7:36pm On Sep 09, 2010
@ samir101ng

My chairman, there is difference between laying a cable and lighting it up. So just because glo has fibre in those places i mentioned doesnt mean there must be 3g. I suspect they are using satellite for internet access and cant switch on 3g anywhere else or their access will grind to a halt. I can confirm globacom have cables from abuja through makurdi to yola. How? I am a regular traveller through that route and through out 2008/2009 their black cables are being buried along that route. Spoke to a guy who works for their contractor on that project ie laying fibre along markurdi yola route Telnet Nig ltd and he confirmed it was glo thy were workng for. Also i know they had a very serious problem when tiv villagers will allow them dig along the road without payment. Thank God tensions were diffused before harpless travellers were trapped

I am sure that the cables are only used to carry limited traffic not full data. I am sure thats what glo has been posing with as their 10,000 km fiber network within the country. I also noticed that for a year now calls from abuja to several places in the north east from abuja has none of the hetertho annonying delays and echo which was the norm using satellite links.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 12:36am On Sep 10, 2010
tomcat:

indeed you can do it via the tracert from the command prompt, and see what kind of ping you are getting but there are simpler ways as well:

1. open your command prompt and type: ping www.yahoo.co.uk or any other site in UK (i always check with UK). If the ping is between 120-350ms it's fiber optic. If the ping is anything above 570-600ms it's satellite, as signal needs to travel all the way from here to the satellite and down to earth again.

As far as i know MTN 3g has switched traffic to main one.

2. Easier still: go to www.visualroute.com and go to livedemo. In there chose a server, normally i chose one from london UK, and then press start, it will show you all the hops that the traffic is passing to reach your computer, in most cases you can even tell which internet wholesale provider they are using.

I tried the first one with MTN 3g. These are the results I got.

Minimum = 232ms, Maximum = 266ms, Average = 241ms
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 2:19pm On Sep 13, 2010
according to today's gurdian, glo-1 is going to be commisioned this Wednesday,

hard to believe but let's see,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 3:23pm On Sep 13, 2010
Commissioning doesn't necessarily mean it would start operation. . . . they might still be setting up!!!!!!!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 3:46pm On Sep 13, 2010
puskin:

Commissioning doesn't necessarily mean it would start operation. . . . they might still be setting up!!!!!!!!
@puskin
In engineering, setup is a world apart from commissioning. Usually, commissioning comes after installation and what we call the commissioning tests. . .to all intents and purposes, (from an engineering standpoint,) a project should only be commissioned when it's working.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 3:53pm On Sep 13, 2010
"inaugurate" is the actual word used,

"Globacom Limited plans to inaugurate a 9,500km submarine cable to link Africa and Europe on Wednesday, its Group Chief Operating Officer, Mohammed Jameel, has said"
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:19pm On Sep 13, 2010
na wah o, see matter o, inaugurate, commision, test, NA WETIN!!!!!

why all this drama over just another GADDEM CABLE? no be person don launch mnths ago without all this drama?

sorry to say ehn, this free awareness program on NL had better cease till its actually working b4 we reduce to insulting each other here o!!!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 5:54pm On Sep 13, 2010
4llerbuntu,

you are right oh. But this is a reflection of the anxiety Nigerians are feeling about glo, and i dont think its a bad thing to critically analyse a situation like this moreso when our journalist, who should be asking the questions, are just numb. What beats a bunch of enthusiats like these fine people in here following a story with such keen interest? I think we should keep following this up to the 'logical conclusion', whateve that is.

Just to add to the story, Punch of today says Jameel is sayin October for inauguration. This ding dong story is also playing out in the media.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 6:52pm On Sep 13, 2010
netotse:

@puskin
In engineering, setup is a world apart from commissioning. Usually, commissioning comes after installation and what we call the commissioning tests. . .to all intents and purposes, (from an engineering standpoint,) a project should only be commissioned when it's working.

. . . .and who told U that I don't know wat I said. My statement is only referring from a political standpoint.

I don hear U, shebi nah. . . . . EPCI - Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Installation. . . . ehn!!!!!!! we dey there now.
wink wink
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 8:08pm On Sep 13, 2010
when glo1 really starts "business", i will let you guys know. right now forget all the nonsense you read in the papers.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 9:07pm On Sep 13, 2010
flyuche:

when glo1 really starts "business", i will let you guys know. right now forget all the nonsense you read in the papers.

we will figure that out ourselves as well, smiley the thing is who can safely predict when that will happen,

4llerbuntu:

na wah o, see matter o, inaugurate, commision, test, NA WETIN!!!!!

why all this drama over just another GADDEM CABLE? no be person don launch mnths ago without all this drama?

sorry to say ehn, this free awareness program on NL had better cease till its actually working b4 we reduce to insulting each other here o!!!!

my friend, i prefer to have a discussion about when glo-1 will be connected something that will change internet map and prices for good, rather than posting in useless threads on how to cheat on mtn, glo, zain 3g, how to find piracy software and all sorts or rubbish that this forum is lately filling up with,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 9:19pm On Sep 13, 2010
we will figure that out ourselves as well, Smiley the thing is who can safely predict when that will happen

Take it and use it when U see it.

my friend, i prefer to have a discussion about when glo-1 will be connected something that will change internet map and prices for good, rather than posting in useless threads on how to cheat on mtn, glo, zain 3g, how to find piracy software and all sorts or rubbish that this forum is lately filling up with.

. . . . .Where is ur sense of humour undecided undecided
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 9:24pm On Sep 13, 2010
tomcat:

we will figure that out ourselves as well, smiley the thing is who can safely predict when that will happen,

my friend, i prefer to have a discussion about when glo-1 will be connected something that will change internet map and prices for good, rather than posting in useless threads on how to cheat on mtn, glo, zain 3g, how to find piracy software and all sorts or rubbish that this forum is lately filling up with,

the highlighted part i assert is a pipe dream, not in naija with the telco cartel
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by flyuche(m): 10:03pm On Sep 13, 2010
since Main One "launched" what has changed? nothing embarassed
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 11:41pm On Sep 13, 2010
i think u expect too much too soon. Shei its similar to what people said not long after gsm came.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 12:06am On Sep 14, 2010
puskin:

. . . .and who told U that I don't know wat I said. My statement is only referring from a political standpoint.

I don hear U, shebi nah. . . . . EPCI - Engineering, Procurement, Construction and Installation. . . . ehn!!!!!!! we dey there now.
wink wink
no vex. . .lol, i'm surrounded by too many non-engineers that feel like they know it all so at times person brain dey touch!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 6:21pm On Sep 14, 2010
I'm sick and tired of these monthly caps, In Japan ISPs beg subscribers to download and as such no single ISP in the country has a download limit, some only place an upload limit with the least upload being 150GB per month in that country. Net Value offers speed of 1 Gbps with no limits eitherway cost less than about $50.Comcast (US) offers 250GB for $24/month while Verizon gives no limit and costs $20/month

Glo should better make a difference with their fibre with at least 30GB/month for would be reasonable start otherwise their launch would make no real impact just like main one.

I also wonder what d Federal Govt and NCC is doing about all this, imagine i finished my Gig in just 3days that ought to be for 1 month.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 4:51pm On Sep 15, 2010
^^^^^ lolz

eeyah pele. i have been seeing an ad on this site for virgin, 5MBps for 11 pounds a month, no limits, sim based line o!!!! thats like what N2,750 per month.
ok bad as e bad say naija level is not as good as UK, if naija telco dey charge double for same service nko?

na lie, na 10k for 3Gb, maimum speed of 100kbps grin grin grin grin grin

as a matter of fact i recently found that Fbt is faster than paid service!!!! simply cos mtn & co are too cheap to put up servers and the ones they have are clogged. the pple using external servers and transloading thru them get faster speeds!!!!! imagine

this country is blessed from behind!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by smanuel: 11:55am On Sep 17, 2010
Why don"t you guys call it what it is. FBT. Free Browsing Technique. I have read this forum. Its like an inside joke among quite a few elites. Any novice can read this all day and not have a clue what is going on. MTN, GLO, ZAIN are all reaping everybody off! Not just a few. For every person have paid above 40$ a month for Unlimited bandwidth to these telcos, they deserve FBT knowledge.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lynxnoon(m): 1:50pm On Sep 17, 2010
smanuel:

Why don"t you guys call it what it is. FBT. Technique. I have read this forum. Its like an inside joke among quite a few elites. Any novice can read this all day and not have a clue what is going on. MTN, GLO, ZAIN are all reaping everybody off! Not just a few. For every person have paid above 40$ a month for Unlimited bandwidth to these telcos, they deserve FBT knowledge.
hmmmmm . . . . now what is[b] FBT[/b]? undecided grin undecided
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 7:15pm On Sep 17, 2010
smanuel:

Why don"t you guys call it what it is. FBT. Technique. I have read this forum. Its like an inside joke among quite a few elites. Any novice can read this all day and not have a clue what is going on. MTN, GLO, ZAIN are all reaping everybody off! Not just a few. For every person have paid above 40$ a month for Unlimited bandwidth to these telcos, they deserve FBT knowledge.

I'll appreciate lectures man.

For Glo users in Warri you ll experience the power of 3G come Oct 1
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 9:21pm On Sep 17, 2010
Djcn:

I'll appreciate lectures man.

For Glo users in Warri you ll experience the power of 3G come Oct 1

Don't tell me U nid lectures on efbeetee. grin grin grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 12:56am On Sep 18, 2010
puskin:

Don't tell me U nid lectures on efbeetee. grin grin grin

puuuuuuuuskin !!!! grin grin grin grin

My glo people, i dey hail !!

I am going to Abuja and would like any user of glo 3G+ to please confirm where he is getting good coverage. I intend to do an analysis of glo's 3G+ as people are commenting that its fast. Thanks.

N.B glo don start N15 per min calls to all networks. I had to turn my room upside to retrieve the sim. Loaded N500 got N50 bonus. I don park my other lines now.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 3:16am On Sep 18, 2010
ehn!!!!!!!! glo dey do N15 to all networks. . . . .dis is good. The competition has just started.

mMm??. .***scratches head*** now whr did I throw dat glo SIM again.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 5:53am On Sep 18, 2010
puskin:

ehn!!!!!!!! glo dey do N15 to all networks. . . . .dis is good. The competition has just started.

mMm??. .***scratches head*** now whr did I throw dat glo SIM again.

i need a new dual sim fone, i think its time to dump my mtn sim finally, i have dashed dem enuf of my moni!!!
u see my mail with the lifetime thing?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 7:53am On Sep 18, 2010
samir101ng:

[b]

N.B glo don start N15 per min calls to all networks. I had to turn my room upside to retrieve the sim. Loaded N500 got N50 bonus. I don park my other lines now.

Pls any links for that info
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by samir101ng(m): 12:11am On Sep 19, 2010
Djcn:

Pls any links for that info

Am so sorry but i don't have any links. I have a friend who works in their sales department. He activated my line for me. I think you dial *100*something# and send yes to confirm. I have been using it since yesterday. Its a newly launched promotion aimed at beating etisalat in the market. I dont even think they have updated their website yet. I promise however to post the instructions tomorrow morning by God's grace.

NB. Yes, am in Abuja now and i can confirm that glo has an EDGE network. They don improve from GPRS (abi na 2.5G dem dey call am). Where are all the people shouting about how improved glo 3G+ was ? Me, i never see 3G+ ooo! Am currently at Zone 6 behind Military Pensions Board. Abeg, prove this doubting thomas wrong.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by audacious: 12:15pm On Sep 19, 2010
samir101ng:

Am so sorry but i don't have any links. I have a friend who works in their sales department. HeĀ  activated my line for me. I think you dial *100*something# and send yes to confirm. I have been using it since yesterday. Its a newly launched promotion aimed at beating etisalat in the market. I dont even think they have updated their website yet. I promise however to post the instructions tomorrow morning by God's grace.

NB. Yes, am in Abuja now and i can confirm that glo has an EDGE network. They don improve from GPRS (abi na 2.5G dem dey call am). Where are all the people shouting about how improved glo 3G+ was ? Me, i never see 3G+ ooo! Am currently at Zone 6 behind Military Pensions Board. Abeg, prove this doubting thomas wrong.

@samir101ng

Glo showing 3.5g at Lake chad crescent, Maitama (has been showing for some months). You can try other areas of Maitama for your experiment grin
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Djcn: 3:50pm On Sep 19, 2010
samir101ng:

Am so sorry but i don't have any links. I have a friend who works in their sales department. He activated my line for me. I think you dial *100*something# and send yes to confirm. I have been using it since yesterday. Its a newly launched promotion aimed at beating etisalat in the market. I dont even think they have updated their website yet. I promise however to post the instructions tomorrow morning by God's grace.

No qualms i'll appreciate the instructions on getting on d plan.

Actually glo 3g is in Abj but i only know of wuse 2 where i was last month, it was really blasting on d 3g network, as said earlier maybe u should try other areas. 3g network is also in maitama
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by lumzi23: 5:24pm On Sep 19, 2010
Any new newspaper or online articles (aside from the ones already posted)? I am always interested in reading those.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) ... (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 62
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.