Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,218 members, 7,818,754 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:25 AM

Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 - Computers (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Computers / Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 (55225 Views)

See The Best Internet Data Plans / Bundles From MTN Etisalat Airtel And Globacom / Two Submarine Cables- Mainone And Glo1, Yet Poor Internet! / Glo-1 Submarine Cable (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 9:30pm On Sep 21, 2010
hmm, i posted a tracert but somehow was not posted,

it is indeed the cable that passes throught cable & wireless in UK, as you can check from an ip whois,

it is quite responsive, max steady speed i got was around 1-1.3Mbit, but looks like there still some bottlenecks, as i couldn't watch smooth iptv that requires only 380kbit,

well it's a milestone for sure,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:29pm On Sep 21, 2010
glo has collapsed where i am in Abuja

The data network has been down for 3 days straight. MTN however is something else. I get regular 1.6 mbps even now (speedtest.net).
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by smanuel: 2:06pm On Sep 22, 2010
Glo this afternoon. Always micro in lekki Lagos.

Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by jdoss: 7:01pm On Sep 22, 2010
Spoke to someone that says bandwidth on Glo1 is being marketed right now, and it is being sold 25% less than main one. That means if Main One is selling an E1 at $1,050 in Nigeria like it is in Ghana, Globacom is selling at about $750. That means one can buy 1Mb for $375, When I called suburban last year about 10Mb, the told me $3000/Mb(I know it would have been cheaper if I wanted more bandwidth)

http://news.myjoyonline.com/technology/201009/52503.asp

@Smanuel could you try the east coast of the U.S. and London. Thanks

Noticed this on Main one's website

http://www.mainonecable.com/clients.php
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Ifedisky(m): 1:28pm On Sep 23, 2010
goggs:

The data network has been down for 3 days straight. MTN however is something else. I get regular 1.6 mbps even now (speedtest.net).
It's collapsed in Enugu too. Three days straight now yet those incompetent buffons in customercare act as if they are not aware! I can't use my phone, I can't use my modem and the worst thing is that I'm stuck in this town till next week!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by zoraro(m): 8:50pm On Sep 24, 2010
goggs:

Ifedisky:

It's collapsed in Enugu too. Three days straight now yet those incompetent buffons in customercare act as if they are not aware! I can't use my phone, I can't use my modem and the worst thing is that I'm stuck in this town till next week!

All this is expected at a time like this when they are testing systems/switching from one system to another.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:28pm On Sep 24, 2010
hope so undecided
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by zenus(m): 4:23pm On Sep 28, 2010
Things are becoming to work in Nigeria Telecom.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 11:28pm On Sep 28, 2010
so far so good, the cables have had no effect on pricing. . . cry embarassed
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by 4llerbuntu(m): 3:16am On Sep 29, 2010
AND performance essesntially. none effect
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 2:37pm On Sep 29, 2010
Well, maybe a little effect on the pricing considering Glo just introduced Always micro, but that is not giving much up by way of price sha!! As for performance, I agree totally, the performance is still spotty at best. But its always relative. I agree with someone who said Lekki was amazing cos I was in Lekki a few months ago and MAN was it fast, but maybe it had something to do with the fact that the Glo 1 landing station is on Alpha beach, a stone throw away,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by zoraro(m): 10:36pm On Sep 29, 2010
It not surprising that there hasn't been any change in terms of performance and price so far, for performance, Glo-1 is not generally available yet it's just Main-one for now. For pricing, these operators subscribed to Satellite systems before now, so until their subscription run out they won't effect major changes in their pricing.
In essence, although we don't like it, we shouldn't expect any major changes in the next 2 or 3 months.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 12:03am On Sep 30, 2010
zoraro:

It not surprising that there hasn't been any change in terms of performance and price so far, for performance, Glo-1 is not generally available yet it's just Main-one for now. For pricing, these operators subscribed to Satellite systems before now, so until their subscription run out they won't effect major changes in their pricing.
In essence, although we don't like it, we shouldn't expect any major changes in the next 2 or 3 months.
you have a point, but how do you know the subscriptions to the satellite systems would've expired in said 2 - 3 months?
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by crowned(m): 7:13pm On Sep 30, 2010
i am getting tired of their various announcements without action. they hype the atmosphere and yet dont deliver on their promise.we had their various prelaunch .still not yet launched. and it is supposed to celebrate our independence.tomorrow is it and still no news. the cable has landed since last year and still not yet launched.
glo should get their acts together.organise things well so that people dont lose their appeal for them . Hope deferred makes the heart weary!!!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 8:32pm On Sep 30, 2010
crowned:

i am getting tired of their various announcements without action. they hype the atmosphere and yet dont deliver on their promise.we had their various prelaunch .still not yet launched. and it is supposed to celebrate our independence.tomorrow is it and still no news. the cable has landed since last year and still not yet launched.
glo should get their acts together.organise things well so that people dont lose their appeal for them . Hope deferred makes the heart weary!!!!

glo1 is already connected and operational, glo's 3g internet and fixed line internet are both using glo1, also voice on international calls from their mobile is passing through glo-1 but i haven't checked that myself.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by crowned(m): 6:32am On Oct 01, 2010
tomcat:

glo1 is already connected and operational, glo's 3g internet and fixed line internet are both using glo1, also voice on international calls from their mobile is passing through glo-1 but i haven't checked that myself.
if they are operational , i thought the costs of internet access would have come down.thats whats they ve been proclaiming that they would reduce costs. yet to feel their impact if what u say is true.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 9:36am On Oct 01, 2010
they should be communicating new prices soon,
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 10:21am On Oct 01, 2010
tomcat:

tomcat:

they should be communicating new prices soon,

. . . . . .Abeg, na ya Papa be Mike Adenuga, or U follow install the glo-1 cable system, or just an avid glo internet user undecided undecided

Just asking??
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by tomcat: 10:26am On Oct 01, 2010
second one
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by leuelliot(m): 10:43am On Oct 01, 2010
second
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by zoraro(m): 8:38pm On Oct 08, 2010
Is Glo-1 still going to be launched this month (I thought that they moved it to October to launch it on the 1st as a 50th anniversary gift to the Country) or should we be expecting it as a Christmas gift in December? embarassed
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by netotse(m): 11:54pm On Oct 08, 2010
maybe we should expect them to launch it some time before our 60th anniversary. . .
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 10:21pm On Oct 09, 2010
Like I once said on this thread, dont hold your breath on Glo. tongue

Meanwhile MTN has slashed internet prices, increase bandwidth allowance, broadened their package offers. cheesy
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by EvilBrain1(m): 11:09pm On Oct 09, 2010
zoraro:

Is Glo-1 still going to be launched this month (I thought that they moved it to October to launch it on the 1st as a 50th anniversary gift to the Country) or should we be expecting it as a Christmas gift in December? embarassed 

Honestly, I'm sick and tired of this waiting for Godot bullshiat. One full year they've been jerking us around. I'm throwing away my Glo line.

They can stick their cable up Mike Adenuga's you know where

Nonsense.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by goggs(m): 11:40pm On Oct 09, 2010
Honestly, I'm sick and tired of this waiting for Godot bullshiat. One full year they've been jerking us around. I'm throwing away my Glo line.

They can stick their cable up Mike Adenuga's you know where

Nonsense.

Thank God somebody spoke what I was reluctant to say since March this year. angry

Yhello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! e cost sha oh!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by Tokotaya: 8:12am On Oct 11, 2010
goggs:

Like I once said on this thread, dont hold your breath on Glo. tongue

Meanwhile MTN has slashed internet prices, increase bandwidth allowance, broadened their package offers. cheesy

Also read online that MTN launched fibre-optic network for UNN making it possible for the university to connect to the internet. At least, these are things that people can see.
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by COMPAQ(m): 3:38pm On Oct 11, 2010
Glo is just a big disappointment, all hype and no action on this their Glo1 cable. They have dug up the whole PH with nothing to show for it. Even their Glo modem is so inconsistent and unreliable!!!
Re: Globacom Submarine Cable - Glo-1 by puskin: 4:11pm On Oct 11, 2010
COMPAQ:

Glo is just a big disappointment, all hype and no action on this their Glo1 cable. They have dug up the whole PH with nothing to show for it. Even their Glo modem is so inconsistent and unreliable!!!

oh!!!!!!!. . . .so it is them that is digging the whole of my neighbourhood, with nuttin' to show for it .WTF!!!!!!!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) ... (20) (Reply)

Let Me Teach U How To Increase Download Speed Of Utorrent By 1000% / Let's Have Your "Computers Section" Complaints/Suggestions/Observations Here! / NIIT Na Rubbish

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.