Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,207 members, 7,815,216 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 09:08 AM

Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted (5750 Views)

Nigerians Will Soon Get The Change They Voted For - Lai Mohammed / Oil Producing states In Nigeria - The Facts and Figures / I Will Employ Illiterates Into My Govt, They Voted For Me - Ayo Fayose. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Sweetguy25: 7:51pm On Apr 08, 2015
Rather than look at this election from a tribal or political perspective and accuse geo-political zones of voting a presidential candidate for tribal or religious reasons, let us analyze the election results from a different and much more educative perspective.

Let us compare how educated or literate people voted against less educated or illiterate people.

For us to achieve this objective, we would have to look at literacy rates across all Nigerian states and how these states voted.

The literacy statistics and data used were from the NMEC (National Mass Education Commission) and the document is hosted on UNESCO’s website. They’re also the most recent I could find (2011).
http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/ED/pdf/Nigeria.pdf

Let's begin.

[size=14pt]APC won in 21 states[/size]
Only 5 of them have literacy rates above fifty percent. (Ogun, Osun, Lagos, Oyo, Ondo)
16 of the remaining states that voted for the APC have literacy rates below fifty percent.
90 percent of the states where the APC won with by over 70 percent had literacy rates below 40 percent - Zamfara, Yobe, Sokoto, Niger, Kebbi, Katsina, Kaduna, Gombe, Borno, Bauchi, Jigawa.
The sum total of votes the APC had from states with[b] literacy rates below 50 percent was 9,985,528[/b]
The sum total of votes the APC had from states with[b] literacy rates below 40 percent was 8,607,706 [/b]
The total number of votes the APC had from states with literacy rates above fifty percent was 2,987,961

[size=14pt] The PDP won in 16 states plus the FCT[/size]
12 of the states have literacy rates above 50 percent
10 of the states have literacy rates above 60 percent.
The total number of votes the PDP received from states with over fifty percent literacy rate was 8,871,373 while they received 3,766,010 from states with literacy rates below fifty percent.

5 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Sweetguy25: 7:52pm On Apr 08, 2015
Can it be argued that
1. About 70 percent of the voters who cast their votes for the APC were illiterate.
2. The votes the PDP received from illiterate states where from the minority literate voters?
3. If the voters where more educated, the PDP would have won the election?

More Questions:
Why were the most illiterate states drawn to the candidate of the APC (General Buhari)?
Why where majority of the most literate states drawn to the candidate of the PDP (Pres. Goodluck Jonathan?

I need more spins and reasonable questions from the statistics. . .

Let the contributions begin

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by 401kk: 8:05pm On Apr 08, 2015
Wait, Borno has a literacy rate of just 14 percent? That means 86 percent of people in Borno can't read or write english? That is heart wrenching.

2 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Sweetguy25: 8:10pm On Apr 08, 2015
401kk:
Wait, Borno has a literacy rate of just 14 percent? That means 86 percent of people in Borno can't read or write english? That is heart wrenching.

Yes.

I need reasonable answers

1 Like

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by EmoBoy(m): 8:13pm On Apr 08, 2015
But the most literate state in Nigeria (which is lagos) voted for Buhari. undecided undecided
Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by nicklaus40: 8:30pm On Apr 08, 2015
Pdp's misrule in d past 16 yrs made dem illitrates

5 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by midolian(m): 8:32pm On Apr 08, 2015
Lool...so what is this thread for? Is it to disqualify Buhari cos majority of his voters are illiterates? undecided
Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by pressplay55: 8:43pm On Apr 08, 2015
we dont need all this statistics, we already know the truth...
Take southwest forr instance inspite of the wide support apc had ranging from tinibu obj and other top southwest elders pdp was able to pull quite a number of vote in the southwest.
Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Nobody: 8:50pm On Apr 08, 2015
IMO State 50-something % ? Hahahahahaha....... What are you on ?

1 Like

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Ikengawo: 8:51pm On Apr 08, 2015
Lagos having a 92% literacy rate is not truthful

2 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Nobody: 8:53pm On Apr 08, 2015
OP you funny cha cheesy. Although i think you're very very correct. The literate states saw beyond the many lies and propaganda of the APC. Also being an educated person you would know that fixing Nigeria is no magic and unless you tackle the issues from the base then it's all just going to be hogwash.

With time we are getting to know how they voted and i wouldn't blame them anyway. Our President-elect is an illiterate voted by illiterates cheesy.
Voted in by those who believe he will..

Stabilize world oil prices...
Equate Naira to dollars...
Pay unemployed 5000 Naira monthly..
Give free meals to tertiary students daily..
Fight corruption by jailing culprits (As if nor be Nigerian court dem go judge the matter undecided).

Well fingers crossed and waiting for Buhari to pull off the 8th wonder of the world, and we know Jonathan's legacy and many of his projects that will bear fruit soon. We will be quick to point it out to them so they can't take credit smiley

4 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by realjoker(m): 9:04pm On Apr 08, 2015
the op na agbero
he is still morning the recent election defeat, i know he will soon get over the trauma of the defeat and move on

1 Like

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by omololu2020(m): 9:05pm On Apr 08, 2015
Ikengawo:
gush! A set of pple,in a particular region are so disgustin,if toh say nah dis fool1sh boy region dey av 92perc literacy rate he will agree wit dem.olori pelebe

1 Like

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Sweetguy25: 9:38pm On Apr 08, 2015
EmoBoy:
But the most literate state in Nigeria (which is lagos) voted for Buhari. undecided undecided

Most states the highest literacy rates voted for PDP, that negates and nullifies the lagos result.
Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Sweetguy25: 9:56pm On Apr 08, 2015
midolian:
Lool...so what is this thread for? Is it to disqualify Buhari cos majority of his voters are illiterates? undecided

Not really but it is very unfortunate that the person who will be president of the biggest economy in Africa will be determined by mostly illiterates.

3 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by A7(m): 9:58pm On Apr 08, 2015
Anything involving numbers in Nigeria is a grand scam. Be it states IGR, population, election results, age... Name it, ANYTHING.
Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Sweetguy25: 9:58pm On Apr 08, 2015
Ikengawo:

DeeManD:
IMO State 50-something % ? Hahahahahaha....... What are you on ?

I got the stats from UNESCO. I believe they're a reputable source.
Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by midolian(m): 10:09pm On Apr 08, 2015
Sweetguy25:

Not really but it is very unfortunate that the person who will be president of the biggest economy in Africa will be determined by mostly illiterates.
have you forgotten that the illiterates are always the majority of the pple that votes every govt in power in Nigeria? Or you just want to pretend u dnt know?

2 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by mumumugu(m): 10:31pm On Apr 08, 2015
Illiterate voting illiterate

2 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by OluBendel: 10:38pm On Apr 08, 2015
Your analysis is funny though. It could also mean that while the educated literate were ready to rationalise why stealing is not corruption. The illiterates were not ready to have any of such bullscrap!

3 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by raumdeuter: 10:40pm On Apr 08, 2015
Unfortunately for you, The illiterates would determine who would rule you for the next 4 yrs

Incase you are not satified, You are free to relocate to the Literate Republic of Kongo

4 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Abagworo(m): 10:44pm On Apr 08, 2015
Sweetguy25:
Can it be argued that
1. About 70 percent of the voters who cast their votes for the APC were illiterate.
2. The votes the PDP received from illiterate states where from the minority literate voters?
3. If the voters where more educated, the PDP would have won the election?

More Questions:
Why were the most illiterate states drawn to the candidate of the APC (General Buhari)?
Why where majority of the most literate states drawn to the candidate of the PDP (Pres. Goodluck Jonathan?

I need more spins and reasonable questions from the statistics. . .

Let the contributions begin

The question is if the results were not doctored could Jonathan have one any State. I am sure he lost in Imo and Rivers.

2 Likes

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Nobody: 1:09am On Apr 09, 2015
Sweetguy25:

Yes.

I need reasonable answers
youre statiststics are highly dubious, infact youre just pulling figures out of the sky. what independent sources can you quote to back up your claims? you even as a person what educational attainment have you achieved to look down on others? typical ibo boi

1 Like

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Jwonder4eva: 1:56am On Apr 09, 2015
nicklaus40:
Pdp's misrule in d past 16 yrs made dem illitrates

It's the mismanagement of their funds by their Leader..IBB, Shagari, Buhari, Atiku and their various governors that has left them like that and they also have contributed to their problems cause they seem not to complain about it.

1 Like

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Sweetguy25: 10:51am On Apr 10, 2015
raumdeuter:
Unfortunately for you, The illiterates would determine who would rule you for the next 4 yrs

Incase you are not satified, You are free to relocate to the Literate Republic of Kongo

It is unfortunate for Nigeria and it is unfortunate for education. It has nothing to do with me.

1 Like

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Sweetguy25: 10:52am On Apr 10, 2015
Abagworo:

The question is if the results were not doctored could Jonathan have one any State. I am sure he lost in Imo and Rivers.

The elections were judged as free and fair by all observers.

1 Like

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Bashirfuntua(m): 10:54am On Apr 10, 2015
yea
Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by adeoladrg(m): 10:58am On Apr 10, 2015
Op you're a bloody racist!

Still we want Jaykay.

1 Like

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Sweetguy25: 11:03am On Apr 10, 2015
adeoladrg:
Op you're a bloody racist!

How?
Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by abduljabbar8: 11:05am On Apr 10, 2015
Op I don't believe this literacy rating. How can Kanos literacy be above kadunas rate? And this your Lagos rating too I have doubts. Its even higher than Edo states rate. Have you ever been to kano? A very few of them literates mr man. Fct too I have doubts. Its supposed to Be higher than what you gave them
Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by Sunnybobo3(m): 11:12am On Apr 10, 2015
kropotkin2:
youre statiststics are highly dubious, infact youre just pulling figures out of the sky. what independent sources can you quote to back up your claims? you even as a person what educational attainment have you achieved to look down on others? typical ibo boi

Let us jettison sweetguy25 's source and take a look at WAEC result. At least, WAEC result cannot be disputed and therefore an authentic independent source.

1 Like

Re: Most Literate States in Nigeria and How they Voted by abduljabbar8: 11:13am On Apr 10, 2015
Oh shitt! Sweetguy is the op. Why did I comment? Always expect nonsense from him

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (Reply)

Pro-Biafran Women Hold Massive Protest In Abia State Over Kanu's Detention(pics) / KATSINA PRESIDENCY RESULTS: Buhari Buries Atiku! / Abia State Governor Okezie Ikpeazu Trapped In America By Corona Virus Lockdown

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 68
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.