Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,836 members, 7,810,217 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:24 AM

Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) (2178 Views)

21-Year-Old Mother Who Has Just One Arm (Photos) / Woman Who Gave Birth To Triplets Dies (Photos) / Man Buys Honda SUV For Wife Who Gave Birth (pics) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by guardian09(m): 6:04am On Apr 09, 2015
Took me a while to wrap this round my head. Use the image below to understand it better.

[b]One woman — Ellen Bown — gave birth to all three of the children in the picture. But only Maddy is her ‘official’ daughter.
When it comes to Alex and Ruth, Ellen acted as a surrogate for her own mother, Jenny. Ellen used her own eggs, fertilised with her stepfather Tony’s sperm. So, biologically, twins Alex and Ruth are teenager Maddy’s half-brother and half-sister. But legally — having been adopted by Ellen’s mother Jenny and stepfather Tony a week after their birth — they are now her aunt and uncle.
Which brings with it another mind-boggling twist. To the twins, Ellen Bown is both their biological mother and their legal half-sister. Meanwhile, Jenny and Tony are their biological grandparents but legal parents. To say it’s an unconventional and complicated set-up would be an understatement — but it certainly isn’t unique.

...Such stories have — understandably — sparked debate. Some have labelled these very modern interpretations of the family unethical, and have questioned the robustness of our surrogacy and fertility laws. But Ellen Bown and her mother Jenny Dias insist there is nothing perturbing about their situation . . . well, apart from the perplexing issue of what on earth they all call each other.

We have always tried to stick to the adoptive relationships,’ says Jenny, 65, a retired saleswoman and receptionist. ‘So the twins call me and Tony “Mummy” and “Daddy”, as you’d expect. It’s only different with Ellen.
‘We got around that by them calling her “Tummy Mummy”. So I’m Mummy, she’s Tummy Mummy. That worked while the twins were little — now they just call her “Ellen”. She is a second mum to them.’
Ellen, 46, a trainee midwife, nods. ‘We have been open with all of them from the beginning about where they came from. Maddy was five when the twins were born. She knew that I was growing something in my tummy for Granny and Grandad and that, when they were born, they were going to live with them.’
Alex — bubbly, polite and dressed in a smart blue suit and school shoes — chimes in, unprompted: ‘People ask me all the time at school, but it’s just labels. We’re a normal family.’
‘Normal’ may well be a stretch for some people, but it’s clear from a few minutes in the extended family’s company that they are a closely knit, happy unit.[/b]

Written by Sarah Rainey.

Source:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-3030966/Mother-gave-birth-brother-sister-extraordinary-story-raising-profound-questions-surrogacy-future-family.html

1 Share

Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by blackjack21(m): 6:11am On Apr 09, 2015
OK.
Oyinbo wee not kee us.
If it were in 9ja imagine what will happen to them.

06:10:01
06:10:03
Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by mizjules(f): 6:29am On Apr 09, 2015
These people are funnny... So the only surrogate she could find was her own daughter abi?

1 Like

Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by guardian09(m): 6:37am On Apr 09, 2015
mizjules:
These people are funnny... So the only surrogate she could find was her own daughter abi?
My dear i tire o
Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by darnley16(m): 6:54am On Apr 09, 2015
I'm not even gonna plan on wraping my head around anything, ah no want early morning headache, *sips Origin*
Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by Lilprincey(m): 7:06am On Apr 09, 2015
*Grabs chair*
Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by sweettease(f): 7:17am On Apr 09, 2015
Reminds me of one funny YouTube short toon where the guy ended up being his own grandfather. cheesy
Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by ardeks(m): 7:19am On Apr 09, 2015
Okay....
Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by gunuvi(m): 7:51am On Apr 09, 2015
oyinbo don almost alter all natural laws of this planet.
Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by JayTeeA(f): 8:23am On Apr 09, 2015
life is simple bt its human nature to just complicate it for no reason.. undecided
Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by AYODEJI4LOVE(m): 11:18am On Apr 09, 2015
at the beginning. ..it was complicated.... now I got it.......oyinbo people sha
Re: Mother Who Gave Birth To Her Own Brother And Sister (photo) by Nobody: 12:19pm On Apr 09, 2015
The most popular is when an incesst occurs between father and daughter, and the daughter conceives. See the child is a brother to his own mother. The girls mother becomes a grandmother and a stepmother to the child.
Ouch! *it's too early to start disturbing my brain*
Anyways, it's a real disaster when such thing happens

(1) (Reply)

New Thermocool Junior Max 1500ms Generator For 55k / My Erotic Ordeal With A Cheating GF. Please Read And Learn / I Feel Like Commiting Suicide . I Dont Know What To Do Again

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.