Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,701 members, 7,809,663 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:42 PM

Health Benefits Of Ewedu - Food (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Health Benefits Of Ewedu (44325 Views)

Health Benefits Of Onions [must Read] / 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Cucumber / 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Bananas (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by kingofmoney: 7:54am On Apr 10, 2015
Must I add akaun (cooking potash) when cooking ewedu. I don't like cooking potash, what is its work there?
literarymathy:
Nutritional Information

Ewedu leaves pack the antioxidant trio of Vitamins A, C and E which fend off free radicals thereby protecting the body from degenerative diseases. The ACE vitamins also happen to be the most beautifying vitamins, increasing collagen production to keep the skin firm and young-looking. This is why most people belief that ewedu was Cleopatra’s beauty secret
–  Vitamin A, aids in repairing the body’s cells and improves eyesight

–  Vitamin C improves circulation and helps lower the risk of  eye disorders

–  Vitamin E slows down the aches and pains associated with aging and increases stamina

–  Calcium contributes to strong teeth and bones

Half a cup of prepared ewedu will give you the following nutrients: 20 calories ,0.3 grams of fat, 3.1 grams of carbohydrate, 0.4 grams of fiber, 1.3 grams of protein, 87 mg of calcium, 22 mg of phosphorous, 1,334 IU of beta-carotene, 1 mg of iron, 0.02 mg of thiamin, 0.04 mg of riboflavin, 0.3 mg of niacin, 10 mg of Vitamin C, 48.9 IU of Vitamin E
Ewedu is a great option for those trying to loose weight.  1 cup mixed ewedu soup with a handful large prawns and no oil has less than  100 calories in comparison to same amount of Egusi with over 400 calories
Ingredients:

3 cups of fresh ewedu leaves (de-veined and finely chopped)
2 cups of water
¼ teaspoon Akaun (cooking potash)
1 teaspoon locust beans (Optional)
1 cube magi
Salt to taste
Direction:

Place a medium size pot on high heat, add in the water and bring to a rolling boil. Add in the Akaun
Reduce the heat to medium; add in the fresh ewedu leaves. Simmer for 10-15minutes or until the leaves are very tender
Add in the locust beans, magi and salt. Stir. Taste and adjust for seasoning
Simmer for another 5mins.
Your ewedu is ready to serve.

Industrial Information
The stem of the ewedu plant play a very important role as an industrial-grade fiber. It is second only to cotton as the most widely produced fiber. Jute fiber comes from the stem and ribbon (outer skin) of the  plant. The fibers are first extracted by retting  and the resulting by product is used to make sacks, coarse cloth, curtains, chair coverings, carpets and area rugs.

Have you ever tried Ewedu soup?
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by holatin(m): 8:00am On Apr 10, 2015
ElekeNtioba:

I heard too much ewedu can make u lose ur mind just like d oba of lagos did recently. Hw true is this pls??

go and play kid
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Arysexy(m): 8:02am On Apr 10, 2015
Menace2Society:
Are u okay?

Ask ur papa
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Menace2Society(m): 8:04am On Apr 10, 2015
Arysexy:

Ask ur papa
Ogun lo ma pa iya e
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Arysexy(m): 8:15am On Apr 10, 2015
Menace2Society:
Ogun lo ma pa iya e

Amadioha tubakwa nnegi ime, afo sagbuo nnagi.

Omo ale jatijati, oloriburuku!

Gutsun uwarku, shege dan iska!
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Menace2Society(m): 8:17am On Apr 10, 2015
Arysexy:

Amadioha tubakwa nnegi ime, afo sagbuo nnagi.

Omo ale jatijati, oloriburuku!

Gutsun uwarku, shege dan iska!
Watch it young man!U are going insane
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Arysexy(m): 8:20am On Apr 10, 2015
[s]
Menace2Society:
Watch it young man!U are going insane
[/s]

Are u OK?
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by girlieTberry: 8:36am On Apr 10, 2015
@Candycrushsoda,how is it taken for HBP? Raw or cooked?
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by candycrushsoda: 8:44am On Apr 10, 2015
girlieTberry:
@Candycrushsoda,how is it taken for HBP? Raw or cooked?

Raw
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by JosephPhilip: 8:46am On Apr 10, 2015
Amala and ewedu.

Correct combo anyday, anytime.

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by ironbody03(m): 8:53am On Apr 10, 2015
If you don't want to use broom

you can make it by placing it on a clean and dried board while cutting it with a knife

sotaaaaay
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Menace2Society(m): 8:59am On Apr 10, 2015
Arysexy:
[s][/s]

Are u OK?
I am very much okay
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Missyetty(f): 9:23am On Apr 10, 2015
Ewedu + gbegiri with amala to fele
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by ironbody03(m): 9:58am On Apr 10, 2015
YOU CAN ALSO MAKE USE OF A PLAIN AND DRY BOARD BY USING KNIFE TO CUT IT

SOTAAAAY
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Nobody: 10:49am On Apr 10, 2015
Aikon:
The best combo - Amala and ewedu plus gbegiri. Where are my Ibadan bobos annd babes cheesy

you can use umbrella instead
That Ibadan amala can be so sweet and soft. The thing make brain die. cheesy the melon added is just my problem but who cares? (I care small sha tongue), the thing sweet die. Some will then add that peppry omi obe stew with goat me (egufe abi wetin them dey call am) grin my longer troat is becoming too much o. cheesy grin

Emmm I've heard so much about this gbegiri o, please is it granut?? But wait o, are you saying there is gbegiri in that ewedu I ate the last time I visited Ibadan?

BTW I'm using umbrella tomorrow. wink

2 Likes

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by TolaniLuv: 12:30pm On Apr 10, 2015
I don't like Ewedu lipsrsealed
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by candycrushsoda: 3:34pm On Apr 10, 2015
@herzumpther Gbegiri is Beans Soup
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Jochebed7(f): 4:10pm On Apr 10, 2015
nairalandist:

Thanks... one love.

mature. thumbs up.

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by sunnshyn(f): 8:35pm On Apr 10, 2015
omojeesu:
All vegetables and fruits are God-made for health, healing and survival. Let's take them judiciously. Reduce salt, sugar and oil in your meals. Run away from flour-based foods. Drink plenty of water. Avoid soft drinks. Sleep and rest. Relax. Have fun. Exercise at least 30min a day, etc. These are some natural laws. Let's keep them for our good.

God bless you bro!! The day I started eating healthy, my life turned around...I used to be very sickly...kai!! Malaria and Thyphoid(back in Nigeria), just the first wash of bitter leaf I drink every fortnightly strengthened my immune system and winter(flu)- (Oranges and a twist of lemons) used to show me pepper till I discovered eating right....now, I'm as healthy as God wants me to be..

Just to add, you'll never find processed food i.e tin/can(baked beans et al) foods or drinks in my refrigerator or pantry NEVER!!....

People see my complexion and ask what I use and I tell them just food I eat. if I have blemishes, lemons and brown sugar takes care of them and they get shocked!!

There's cure for EVERYTHING in nature, some people are either too blind or ignorant to see this.

1 Like

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by Nicepoker(m): 9:32am On Apr 16, 2015
Aikon:

Indomie generation cheesy
lol. To be frank that ewedu no make sense at all. Some yorubas don't even like it.
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by obontami2: 8:43am On Jul 16, 2016
Wow I love my ewedu like wettttiiiiin cheesy
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by XPYDA16: 12:51pm On Mar 20, 2017
Yes, there is.

I blend it with the electric blender. The result is better than the broom.

You wont have to worry about finding crumbs of the stick.
dunkem21:
The broom used in preparing it is my problem.

Any other way out
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by dunkem21(m): 6:47pm On Mar 21, 2017
XPYDA16:
Yes, there is.
I blend it with the electric blender. The result is better than the broom.
You wont have to worry about finding crumbs of the stick.
Thank you.
Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by CillabelFarm: 11:39am On Feb 06, 2021
Distribution partner needed for our dried EWEDU and Plantain flour Nationwide...

Kindly contact us on +234*8147382780

Re: Health Benefits Of Ewedu by XAUBulls: 10:37pm On Dec 24, 2023
Adesiji77:
Recently, jute leaf (ewedu) has been raved about for a lot of things – as a stellar component in healthy eating, as Cleopatra’s beauty secret, as a potent anti-wrinkle and as a super food which is being incorporated into health products.

In Japan, dried jute leaves are even made into pills which women take as beauty supplements.

In African and Middle Eastern countries where healthy eating is the norm, jute leaves are the main ingredients in mucilaginous and very slimy potherb called molokhiya.

Jute leaves, also known as Saluyot leaves in the western part of Nigeria, are used in the preparation of ewedu soup. Once grinded, it’s got a slimy consistency just like okra.

It’s a good source of fibre, low in calories but high in vitamins. In herbal medicine, it is used to control or prevent dysentery, worm infestation and constipation.

In Ayurveda (an ancient Hindu system of healing), jute leaves are used for pain, piles, and tumours.

Elsewhere, the leaves are used for cystitis, dysuria, fever, and gonorrhoea. The cold infusion is said to restore the appetite and strength.

Jute leaves pack the antioxidant trio of Vitamins A, C and E which fend off free radicals, thereby protecting from cancer and other degenerative diseases. The ACE vitamins also happen to be the most beautifying vitamins, increasing collagen production to keep the skin firm and young-looking

http://www.punchng.com/health/healthwise/health-benefits-of-ewedu/

Bump.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

A Nairalander Buys A Big Puff Adder Along Akure-Ekiti Road, Butchers & Cooks It / Birthday Cakes / A Lady Is Selling Fried Plantain For N4000 On Twitter. Guys React

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.