Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,844 members, 7,855,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 09 June 2024 at 11:41 PM

When Politics Makes Us Bad People - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / When Politics Makes Us Bad People (444 Views)

When Politics Enters The Citadels / When Politics Makes Us Bad People / A Nairalander's Comment In Politics Makes A Full Page Advert In The Guardian (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

When Politics Makes Us Bad People by MORNDEW(m): 9:43pm On Apr 09, 2015
Politics they say, is a dirty game but I don’t think so. Those who practice it have decided to give it a foul smell hence the notion that it’s a dirty game. Ordinarily it shouldn’t be so.

Many times, most of the politicians are may not get what they want by playing all cool and forming good guys in Nigerian Politics. This is why some of them end up where they are not suppose to be.

This reminded me of when I was planning to contest my Departmental President back in school. I was not happy with the electoral process. To me it was seriously flawed and skewed in such a way that it will favour my opponent. I had a strong believe on my popularity but my opponent was dinning and winning with the electoral officers at different places. I reported to my HOD then and he said one thing. That if I want to change the system i should get there with any available means whether bad or good and then i change it.

When former EFCC Chairman, Nuhu Ribadu defected to the PDP, i almost gave up on Nigeria. I wrote him a letter. I was seriously not happy because i believe the PDP does not mean well for the Nation. (it’s a personal opinion founded on many reasons). Since then he has been there and to a very large extent has been careful and thorough in his choice of words and conduct. I realise he needed a platform to get to biggest office in his land and maybe the APC does not or would not offer him that opportunity. I still wait to see how everything turns out.

Before now, Jimi Agbaje has been contesting under many political parties but have not actualized his dream of Governing Lagos State. So before the PDP governorship primaries he joined the party. He, just like Ribadu thought it wise to join the PDP to get to get to Lagos State political Zenith. I understand where JK is coming from but during the re-election campaign of President, Goodluck Jonathan, jimi Agbaje said if Jonathan is not re-elected, militants will return. I was stunned what does Jimi Agbaje intend to achieve with this? Has he turned this bad because of where he found himself? Or is it that we are now seeing the real JK?

I wondered for days before i came up with this write-up. Is Jimi in support of militancy? To me that was the biggest weak point i see from his angle since his 2015 electioneering campaign even though i ve heard he evaded tax but to me that issue lacked substantive evidence hence i take it with a pinch of salt.

I love Jimi Agaje, as one who grew up in Lagos. But he had always contested at a time the odds are against him. This is his biggest opportunity. But in my love for him, i would still reason with objectivity. The massive developmental strides achieved by Gov. Babatunde Fashola is a laudable one and its only reasonable to continue in it than to truncate it. Aside that, Akinwunmi Ambode’s CV is too appetising to resist.

It’s unfortunate JK is involved in this, am relieved that am not in Lagos to vote because if am, I would vote Akinwunmi Ambode.

Princewill Chimereze

Writer, Public Affairs Analyst and Social Commentator.
Add on Facebook: Princewill Chimereze.

(1) (Reply)

INEC Postpones Election In 8 Constituencies In Bayelsa State / Thank Your Lucky Stars Jonathan Conceded Victory-fani Kayode Tells APC / Katsina INEC Office Attacked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.