Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,689 members, 7,816,815 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) (42982 Views)

Do Private University Graduates Find It Hard To Get Jobs In Nigeria? / 5 Benefits Of Choosing A Private University And Polytechnic / Pic: Difference Between A Private University & A Federal University (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by hardbody: 10:33am On Apr 11, 2015
Promxy94:
Op have u heard of Igbinedion university before....if you have i then think you should know and believe that some private universities like Igbinedion are just exactly like public universities,no restrictions on students,u experience student life,the class is condusive for learning..........the only difference between Igbinedion university from public unis is just the school fees....

One thing i noticed recently is that all lady graduates of Igbinedion smoke. Well the ones i have met and they are quite a number.

So op mind you not all private unis are glorified secondary school
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by hardbody: 10:35am On Apr 11, 2015
Promxy94:
Op have u heard of Igbinedion university before....if you have i then think you should know and believe that some private universities like Igbinedion are just exactly like public universities,no restrictions on students,u experience student life,the class is condusive for learning..........the only difference between Igbinedion university from public unis is just the school fees....

One thing i noticed recently is that all lady graduates of Igbinedion smoke. Well the ones i have met and they are quite a number.

So op mind you not all private unis are glorified secondary school

One thing i noticed recently is that all tbe female graduates of Igbinedion that i have interacted with smoke. Is it just fad or part of their curriculum
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Akosbaba(m): 10:41am On Apr 11, 2015
Nairaland and lists

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by won91(m): 10:48am On Apr 11, 2015
Msquare220:

Agreed to go with rules that has been laid in that system That's the point, advance Sec. School rules
Every society is governed by laid down rules, ethics and ethos. The essence of education is to make individuals that are sound in character and learning. If you call them "advanced sec schs" then why study in the "free society university" to end up working in the big coys that have more strict rules to governs you for the rest of your life.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Elevation(m): 11:22am On Apr 11, 2015
ednut1:
Mumu op. go to the top companies on nigeria convenant, babcock nd bowen students are making waves there. dey mumu urself der. ur skul does nt determine who u are
ednut yeh wo ko tun se.
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Nobody: 11:38am On Apr 11, 2015
amokeme:
educational discrimination, tribalism, religious conflict... all in one country! infact... I just don't understand the beef with private unis.. seriously you choose to be in a fedral uni, that's fine. I choose to be in a private uni, totally my business. so what exactly is your problem OP??
"freedom is restricted" let them worry about that
"its expensive" you are not the one paying
"exposure" (really? maybe you should explain the kinda exposure you mean
"life on campus is fun" I can only laugh at this. morality is the key word. but since your definition of fun is clubbing, parties, dating, gossips (well I know you ll out grow that someday). and talking about meeting real people? hehe trust me you have no idea grin
"hard work is compulsory" and you think we don't work hard in private unis? well my dear, we do. the only difference is that we get to see the result of our hard work.. which makes working hard easy cheesy unlike in "some" federal schs that the hard work of a student is being frustrated..
"produce more mature graduates" maturity is an individual thing. private unis graduates are doing just fine.. you might be too hateful to see it buh it doesn't change the fact..
finally, its not the uni that matters, its what you can deliver smiley
abeg invite fine girls with fresh blood from ur school to register on nairaland I dey find private uni gf.
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by ednut1(m): 11:40am On Apr 11, 2015
Elevation:
ednut yeh wo ko tun se.
English pls. i no understand grin
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Elevation(m): 12:10pm On Apr 11, 2015
ednut1:
English pls. i no understand grin
your earlier post you wrote '' on Nigeria '' as per senior man weh u be i know say na typo so I said modify it.
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by mdokaba1(m): 12:18pm On Apr 11, 2015
dajoaneke:
What I loved about schooling in University Of Jos is that there are no restrictions to visiting the opposite sex in the hostel. Visit anyone at any time of the day or night. Unijos was & is still fun

seconded bro, I also ran a dip program in masscom at unjos, but now at unmaid

u just reminded me of the village hostels, the narakutas, the ruso villages, the gengeres etc.
Twos all fun then, unlike unimaid.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by AdeQuate18: 12:35pm On Apr 11, 2015
Some of these rules also apply in unilorin. For example ladies can't wear skinny jeans. Guys can't wear afro or ridiculous haircut. It's more like an advanced secondary school and not a uni
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by dbatty: 12:39pm On Apr 11, 2015
i go state uni.. and any time i go covenant university, i always feel like cryng as i curse my parents for being so poor to afford such a school or any private school for that matter
@ op. na poverty mentality dey worry you. .. if you will really want to meet the real people that owns nigeria tomao, na private unis dem dey

15 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by IfyChuky(m): 5:03pm On Apr 11, 2015
hardbody:

One thing i noticed recently is that all tbe female graduates of Igbinedion that i have interacted with smoke. Is it just fad or part of their curriculum

Iffa hear say u well... Choi! grin grin cheesy
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by obaty(f): 5:25pm On Apr 11, 2015
eben2020:
Op, but private unis student get employment fast and 1 of D is reason is character. Check well coolOp, but private unis student get employment fast and 1 of D is reason is character. Check well
Nope, the reason why they get job faster is because of connection . Most student of private universities are kids of one politician or a wealthy man that is very influential and we all know that to get almost anything reasonable in Nigeria, you have to know one big man or his wife

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by IfyChuky(m): 5:45pm On Apr 11, 2015
On the contrary, I still think the op's post atleast holds some 35% sense, and i'm strongly convinced he must be writing strictly from the poor mans point of view hence It's only for consolidatory reasons dat a post as such, kud prolly be sourced. cheesy

Although I don't know why am being so conclusive, bt something strongly tells me dat should some one offer this op an admission to covenant, lead, babcock, bowen, and its sort for a subsidized fee, say #50k per semester, meka i hear say he wouldn't go running after it without having to give a hoot about all he had written.. cheesy (sum ppl sha) grin grin

My dear.., I feel ur plight.., and sincerely.. I'm convinced I understood perfectly well with regards to where u're coming from..,

You preach freedom and the fun it brings thereafter as against qualitative education, long-lived edifying morals, and the "real exposure" not the such u preach, bt dat which builds the every you with professional connections and otherwise?.. My broda...,

grin grin grin grin grin

U must be a comedian.. cheesy cheesy

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by ProfGday(m): 6:53pm On Apr 11, 2015
Msquare220:
Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when making a choice of institution. I agree that private universities have advantages like the absence of strike, easy access to lecturers… Well, that’s about all.

Public universities, federal and state, have a lot of advantages, from cheaper school fees, to the freedom to be an adult. Public universities expose you to the real world, introduces you to the hustle of life unlike private universities that consist of a lot of brats who are literally spoon-fed. They are so pampered, ​making difficult to face the real world when they become graduates.
So here’s my case for choosing a public university.

1. Public universities allow for freedom and independence:
Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes, etc.​.​ It is absurd; these are adults​!​
2. Cost of education:
It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and hav​e access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive. On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is enough to build a house.
3. Public university g​ives “exposure” to students:
It’s more than obvious that public university students are ​”​sharper​”​ than private university students. Private university students who are often referred to as “JJC” or “Learners” by public university students, live what I term “the microwave life” which is the easy life. In federal universities you get to meet all sorts: from cultists to Aristo chicks, people with different personalities. It makes one exposed to what life really is. One is exposed to the hustle and learns how to struggle for things. There are still brats in federal universities but most of them get to grow up when exposed to the hustle.
4. Life on and off campus is FUN:
There are so many parties to attend, clubs and events. One gets to meet real people, one also learns to be real. There is a lot of gist and gossip, lot of things to laugh at. Rather than chapel, it’s clubbing. Dating is even fun in federal schools. Couples express love without fear as adults. One gets to see students that are rich and poor mingling as equals; students who express themselves through their dressing and not relegated to some uniform.
5. Hard work is compulsory:
Students in public universities have work​ed​ through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work extra hard to come out with well-deserved results.
6. Public universities produce more mature graduates:
With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc., public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not just be handed to them and are used to making decisions for themselves. -

Lame reasons. You left some points unattended to.Find them pls.

1 Like

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Msquare220: 9:34pm On Apr 11, 2015
ProfGday:

Lame reasons. You left some points unattended to.Find them pls.
Ok Sir
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by DangotePikin: 10:50pm On Apr 11, 2015
amokeme:
educational discrimination, tribalism, religious conflict... all in one country! infact... I just don't understand the beef with private unis.. seriously you choose to be in a fedral uni, that's fine. I choose to be in a private uni, totally my business. so what exactly is your problem OP??
"freedom is restricted" let them worry about that
"its expensive" you are not the one paying
"exposure" (really? maybe you should explain the kinda exposure you mean
"life on campus is fun" I can only laugh at this. morality is the key word. but since your definition of fun is clubbing, parties, dating, gossips (well I know you ll out grow that someday). and talking about meeting real people? hehe trust me you have no idea grin
"hard work is compulsory" and you think we don't work hard in private unis? well my dear, we do. the only difference is that we get to see the result of our hard work.. which makes working hard easy cheesy unlike in "some" federal schs that the hard work of a student is being frustrated..
"produce more mature graduates" maturity is an individual thing. private unis graduates are doing just fine.. you might be too hateful to see it buh it doesn't change the fact..
finally, its not the uni that matters, its what you can deliver smiley
Why do you waste your time, commenting on silly posts such as this one? Threads like this one should just be ignored. I really pity people that think that because they attended a particular school they are automatically better off than some other students. They will receive the shock of their life when they get out. Making it in life, is not as much about your school than what you know individually.

Statistically, private schools even produce better graduates. Only about 10% of public uni grads are actually very employable, but for privates, i'd say about 40%. This post reeks of ignorance.

7 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by amokeme(f): 11:06pm On Apr 11, 2015
DangotePikin:
Why do you waste your time, commenting on silly posts such as this one? Threads like this one should just be ignored. I really pity people that think that because they attended a particular school they are automatically better off than some other students. They will receive the shock of their life when they get out. Making it in life, is not as much about your school than what you know individually.

Statistically, private schools even produce better graduates. Only about 10% of public uni grads are actually very employable, but for privates, i'd say about 40%. This post reeks of ignorance.
hehehe.. my dear, I was bored that's why grin

3 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by amokeme(f): 11:13pm On Apr 11, 2015
IfyChuky:
On the contrary, I still think the op's post atleast holds some 35% sense, and i'm strongly convinced he must be writing strictly from the poor mans point of view hence It's only for consolidatory reasons dat a post as such, kud prolly be sourced. cheesy

Although I don't know why am being so conclusive, bt something strongly tells me dat should some one offer this op an admission to covenant, lead, babcock, bowen, and its sort for a subsidized fee, say #50k per semester, meka i hear say he wouldn't go running after it without having to give a hoot about all he had written.. cheesy (sum ppl sha) grin grin

My dear.., I feel ur plight.., and sincerely.. I'm convinced I understood perfectly well with regards to where u're coming from..,

You preach freedom and the fun it brings thereafter as against qualitative education, long-lived edifying morals, and the "real exposure" not the such u preach, bt dat which builds the every you with professional connections and otherwise?.. My broda...,

grin grin grin grin grin

U must be a comedian.. cheesy cheesy
be nice smiley
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by amokeme(f): 11:23pm On Apr 11, 2015
obaty:
Nope, the reason why they get job faster is because of connection . Most student of private universities are kids of one politician or a wealthy man that is very influential and we all know that to get almost anything reasonable in Nigeria, you have to know one big man or his wife
connection is not a bad thing na.. or is it?? and mind you there are still influential kids in fed unis so its not a private uni thing
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by ftunez: 5:31am On Apr 12, 2015
Msquare220:
Many Nigerian students these days often move quickly to queue for private universities when making a choice of institution. I agree that private universities have advantages like the absence of strike, easy access to lecturers… Well, that’s about all.

Public universities, federal and state, have a lot of advantages, from cheaper school fees, to the freedom to be an adult. Public universities expose you to the real world, introduces you to the hustle of life unlike private universities that consist of a lot of brats who are literally spoon-fed. They are so pampered, ​making difficult to face the real world when they become graduates.

Students in public universities enjoy the freedom to make decisions for themselves and learn to be almost independent. Private universities keep students within the four walls of their campuses and under certain rules more suited for teenagers than young adults. The laws in public universities are not imposed on the students; they are just the basic principles a normal student is meant to follow. It’s funny when I see pictures of private university students being punished or hear of certain rules like compulsory attendance of chapel, feeding time tables, dress codes, etc.​.​ It is absurd; these are adults​!​
2. Cost of education:
It is a lot cheaper to attend public university than a private one and this is not limited to school fees. Cost of living on public universities is also cheaper. Students cook their own meals and hav​e access to shops on campus and in town where prices of goods and services are competitive. On the other hand, the cost of living on a private university secluded campus for one semester is enough to build a house.
It’s more than obvious that public university students are ​”​sharper​”​ than private university students. Private university students who are often referred to as “JJC” or “Learners” by public university students, live what I term “the microwave life” which is the easy life. In federal universities you get to meet all sorts: from cultists to Aristo chicks, people with different personalities. It makes one exposed to what life really is. One is exposed to the hustle and learns how to struggle for things. There are still brats in federal universities but most of them get to grow up when exposed to the hustle.
There are so many parties to attend, clubs and events. One gets to meet real people, one also learns to be real. There is a lot of gist and gossip, lot of things to laugh at. Rather than chapel, it’s clubbing. Dating is even fun in federal schools. Couples express love without fear as adults. One gets to see students that are rich and poor mingling as equals; students who express themselves through their dressing and not relegated to some uniform.
Students in public universities have work​ed​ through exceptional odds to succeed; challenges that help one not take life for granted. Imagine a department of over a thousand students with a very small lecture hall or a lecturer who spends only twenty minutes in a class where he is meant to spend two hours, or one who only gives handouts. Faced with issues like these, students work extra hard to come out with well-deserved results.
With all the challenges: strikes, nonchalant lecturers, freedom to express yourself as adult etc., public universities are more equipped for life after graduation. They know that things would not just be handed to them and are used to making decisions for themselves. -
This trash was written out of, not only poverty of the mind but also not knowing the reason behind university education and misplaced priority!

5 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by bollybees(m): 8:50am On Apr 12, 2015
I used to have this formed opinion about private university but during my internship days it changed. An average CU student is well prepared for his/her career as opposed to Public Universities.
The best of your professors from public Uni are the lecturers in some of the private school.
This year webometric ratings covenant university leads in Nigeria, it is just a starting point for them.

I don't have a stronger argument on point 1

2. Cost of education:
You probably killed this, but education in federal universities and state universities are subsidized. It is free tuition, imagine you pay tuition fee you will know Education is costly.

I don't agree with you here.
I will rather say public uni gives negative exposure like what u mentioned cultism, aristos.
Private Universities expose their students to:
a) the best faculty members
b) industry relevant general courses not the boring ones we do in public schools
C) corporate dressing discipline
D) professional trainings relevant to course of study
E)exchange program with foreign uni

Ask the employer of labour who they will rather employ.

I agree with you on this one.

No substantial point giving, you should know there is less time to waste in private uni, it is more time for business.

Equipped with strikes and nonchalant lecturer how is that equipment or maturity. And maturity is not in age.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by amokeme(f): 6:06pm On Apr 12, 2015
bollybees:
I used to have this formed opinion about private university but during my internship days it changed. An average CU student is well prepared for his/her career as opposed to Public Universities.
The best of your professors from public Uni are the lecturers in some of the private school.
This year webometric ratings covenant university leads in Nigeria, it is just a starting point for them.

I don't have a stronger argument on point 1 but I will like to refer you to pre Arab spring vs post Arab Spring in countries like Libya and Syria. If their fight for freedom was worth it.

2. Cost of education:
You probably killed this, but education in federal universities and state universities are subsidized. It is free tuition, imagine you pay tuition fee you will know Education is costly.

I don't agree with you here.
I will rather say public uni gives negative exposure like what u mentioned cultism, aristos.
Private Universities expose their students to:
a) the best faculty members
b) industry relevant general courses not the boring ones we do in public schools
C) corporate dressing discipline
D) professional trainings relevant to course of study
E)exchange program with foreign uni

Ask the employer of labour who they will rather employ.

I agree with you on this one.

No substantial point giving, you should know there is less time to waste in private uni, it is more time for business.

Equipped with strikes and nonchalant lecturer how is that equipment or maturity. And maturity is not in age.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by Promxy94(m): 4:05am On Apr 13, 2015
hardbody:

op u don't because of a particular categories the general....not everybody smokes besides I don't and mind you it depends on the individual....

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by emmyw(m): 8:07am On Apr 13, 2015
Congrats to him
Check The Top 5 Best Way You Can Increase Your Adsense Earnings
http://www.ngschoolz.com/money-tips/top-5-ways-to-increase-your-adsense-earning/
Top 10 Business Students Can Do To Earn Money While In School
http://www.ngschoolz.com/jobsvacancy/top-10-business-students-can-do-to-earn-money-while-in-school/
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by sholay2011(m): 8:08am On Apr 13, 2015
Much ado about the school one attends than the capability of the individual.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by redcliff: 8:09am On Apr 13, 2015
[s]
Msquare220:

2. Cost of education:

[/s]

Crap!

2 Likes

Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by lolaxavier(m): 8:09am On Apr 13, 2015
Op, very valid points...I concur...
Re: 6 Reasons ​you Should Not Attend A Private University (must See) by redcliff: 8:10am On Apr 13, 2015
Promxy94:
op u don't because of a particular categories the general....not everybody smokes besides I don't and mind you it depends on the individual....

Are u female? He threw the. Comment to them

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Photos: CGPA Trending On Twitter / Sexual Assault, Corruption: UNICAL Law Students Protest Against Cyril Ndifon / University Of Limpopo Students Walkout Of Exam Hall Over Difficult Questions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 105
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.