Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,104 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:02 AM

How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? (9920 Views)

Abeokuta Ranked Fourth Worst City To Live In Africa / 5 Best Nigerian Cities To Live In - Do You Agree? / Good News! The Fastest Countries In The World To Become A Citizen (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by esosa4real(m): 5:35am On Apr 20, 2015
Can one use the marriage to American citizen route? Does that shitz still work? Co's I know UK is difficult now! They hardly issue spouse visas/citizenships 2 Nigerians
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by maternal: 7:28am On Apr 20, 2015
esosa4real:
Can one use the marriage to American citizen route? Does that shitz still work? Co's I know UK is difficult now! They hardly issue spouse visas/citizenships 2 Nigerians

Yes I have a aunt who just did it in the states. But it's not as easy anymore.
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by ynkthomas: 8:54pm On Apr 24, 2015
Atmmachine:
I only know about U.S.A
You have to live in America for 5 years to become a citizen, if you live in the U.s you're automatically a permanent resident, there is no much difference between a citizen & a permanent resident, the only advantage of being a citizen is having the American passport.

But you can become a citizen in less than 1 year if you join the military

You are right but there are certain things you are not privilege to as a Permanent Resident.
1. You cannot vote in an election.
2. You cannot aspire to become the President.
3. You cannot become a Police Officer.
4. I think there are certain employment that are based on your status. If you are not a citizen, you cannot get those employments.
5. If you commit certain crimes as a permanent resident, you can be deported but a citizen cannot be deported because he is a son of the soil.

etc

PS: If you come in as a fiance(e) of an American citizen, you will get a temporary permanent resident card for 2 years. After the 2 years, you will need to file for the removal of the condition (you need to apply for removal of condition on the PR card 90 days before the 2 years lapse). Then you will get a new PR card for 10 years but you can apply for your citizenship in once your marriage is 3 years old.If you come in with a DV lottery, you will need 5 years to become a citizen. What you get is PR card from USCIS after a while you arrive in the country.

2 Likes

Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by ynkthomas: 8:57pm On Apr 24, 2015
esosa4real:

It works like fire. A sure bet!

1 Like

Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Moana(f): 9:01pm On Apr 24, 2015
I know a native doctor who can help you get citizen to a country of your choice in less than 6months

2 Likes

Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by ynkthomas: 9:04pm On Apr 24, 2015
Moana:
I know a native doctor who can help you get citizen to a country of your choice in less than 6months

Scam! I bet you are kidding
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Moana(f): 9:06pm On Apr 24, 2015
ynkthomas:

Scam! I bet you are kidding
biko shift angry cheesy
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by ynkthomas: 9:10pm On Apr 24, 2015
Moana:
biko shift angry cheesy

No be only a native doctor, na foreign doctor. Shey e be Consula Officer ni?
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by ynkthomas: 9:25pm On Apr 24, 2015
Moana:

Has the native doctor helped you to secure a visa not to talk of citizenship. Some people amazes me with funny post. How can one become a citizen of another country in 6 months? Haba! Tell that to the marines..

1 Like

Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Moana(f): 9:56pm On Apr 24, 2015
ynkthomas:

Has the native doctor helped you to secure a visa not to talk of citizenship. Some people amazes me with funny post. How can one become a citizen of another country in 6 months? Haba! Tell that to the marines..
see enemies of progress! Eyaaaa issokay! grin
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by esosa4real(m): 8:55am On Apr 25, 2015
ynkthomas:

It works like fire. A sure bet!
Ehen, please explain how naaa!!
Let's not assume it works like fire,
Thanks
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Nobody: 10:38am On Apr 26, 2015
l mean to ask Justwise how long is a spouse visa for? and as much as l know, it is not possible to become a citizen in the UK in 1 year.As mentioned and as someone living in the UK, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE, however, it will take about 5 years to get ILR/PR as the case maybe then after that the British pali will most possibly be in view.......Give or take about 7 years should be OK.
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by justwise(m): 6:24pm On Apr 26, 2015
akin707:
l mean to ask Justwise how long is a spouse visa for?
and as much as l know, it is not possible to become a citizen in the UK in 1 year.As mentioned and as someone living in the UK, IT IS NOT POSSIBLE, however, it will take about 5 years to get ILR/PR as the case maybe then after that the British pali will most possibly be in view.......Give or take about 7 years should be OK.

Your post should be directed to Lexusgs430
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Lexusgs430: 6:36pm On Apr 26, 2015
justwise:
[b]

Your post should be directed to Lexusgs430

Thank you
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Emvp: 7:58pm On Apr 26, 2015
[quote author=justwise post=33135185][b]

Hello everyone, I have followed this site and appreciate all the help proferred. I intend to reapply for a UK visa that was refused because my total travelling cost as stated by me is over 4months of my disposable income. They totally ignored my other statements showing income from family rents etc.

Disposable income=monthly salary-monthly living cost

I have prepared the new application with a cover letter addressing in details all the issues raised. My question is this; Should I reapply reducing my monthly living costs and total cost of trip to enable my finances look better. Thank you.
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by kpolli(m): 5:00am On Apr 27, 2015
Atmmachine:
I only know about U.S.A
You have to live in America for 5 years to become a citizen, if you live in the U.s you're automatically a permanent resident, there is no much difference between a citizen & a permanent resident, the only advantage of being a citizen is having the American passport.

But you can become a citizen in less than 1 year if you join the military

After you've gotten your GC not 5 years after you arrive
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Atmmachine(m): 7:50am On Apr 27, 2015
kpolli:

After you've gotten your GC not 5 years after you arrive

Green card is the permanent residence
Everyone must be issued a green card in 2 weeks of arrival, the people who ain't issued a GC are people who came with students visa or tourist visa & those people don't get a GC.
So, make some research about how people get their citizenship.
Don't tell me shit because i have been in America for so long
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by legacyint: 8:14am On Apr 27, 2015
Originalsly:
Really?.....You can be living in the US for 20 yrs sef...but if you don't have "papers"/Green Card you are not a Permanent Resident. If you been living in the US for 20 yrs as a Permanent Resident ..and you commit a felony....you will serve all or part of your sentence then forwarded to Immigration for deportation. Citizens are not deported. If you are a Permanent Resident....return to your country of origin and forgot/lost your Green Card...or....spend more than 6 months ....good luck on re entering the US.
right on point,i wonder where some people gather information frm,how can he says there's no much diff bw an alien and a citizen,,d diff is clear,visit ur country and spend more dan six months without a re entry permit,, na there u go know how far,,for d record citizens can also br deported,if convicted of terrorism, or treasonable offences.
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by legacyint: 8:17am On Apr 27, 2015
justwise:

I'm basically saying that it takes at least 5 years to get ILR(depending on the route) and more than 5 years to get British citizenship
this is not true,,i know of someone who got his ILR in less than 2yrs,with ILR citizenship shouldn't take more than 6yrs,,bt d applicant must be free frm all criminal offences.
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by legacyint: 8:21am On Apr 27, 2015
Moana:
grin angry ;Dthat native doctor must be a global citizen himself,,
grin
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by justwise(m): 8:41am On Apr 27, 2015
legacyint:
this is not true,,i know of someone who got his ILR in less than 2yrs,with ILR citizenship shouldn't take more than 6yrs,,bt d applicant must be free frm all criminal offences.

You are wrong, you can't get IRL in less than 2 yrs, explain to me how that person performed the magic.

You are also wrong when you said:with ILR citizenship shouldn't take more than 6yrs , with ILR citizenship takes just 1 year.

You know little or nothing about this.
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Moana(f): 8:47am On Apr 27, 2015
legacyint:
grin angry ;Dthat native doctor must be a global citizen himself,,
grin
you want me to hook you up? grin
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by bebe2(f): 5:49pm On Apr 27, 2015
Moana post =33074100:

grin grin
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by kpolli(m): 6:46pm On Apr 27, 2015
Atmmachine:

Green card is the permanent residence
Everyone must be issued a green card in 2 weeks of arrival, the people who ain't issued a GC are people who came with students visa or tourist visa & those people don't get a GC.
So, make some research about how people get their citizenship.
Don't tell me shit because i have been in America for so long

Bro, no vex ooo... Which America are you talking about?
I can list visa classes for people who don't receive GC in two weeks, just because you came in with Lottery doesn't make you an immigration lawyer Mr Man.... I shouldn't tell you shit? Mr Man no be only you dey USA.....

4 Likes

Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Originalsly: 4:34pm On Apr 29, 2015
legacyint:
for d record citizens can also br deported,if convicted of terrorism, or treasonable offences.
True...for other offences too...but only naturalised citizens...those who weren't born in the US...only their citizenship can be revoked.
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by sobastical: 12:01am On Apr 30, 2015
Moana:
you want me to hook you up? grin

See as dem wan spoil your market...abeg make alaroro park well jare. how much the babalawo wan collect? abeg hope say the list no go be like that of bride price list for east ooo
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by tpiadotcom: 4:28am On Apr 30, 2015
op why do you need the information and why do you refuse to check google or ask around.

you be calculator?
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Moana(f): 6:18am On Apr 30, 2015
sobastical:

See as dem wan spoil your market...abeg make alaroro park well jare. how much the babalawo wan collect? abeg hope say the list no go be like that of bride price list for east ooo
just a few things but visa fee will also apply grin
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by sobastical: 8:30am On Apr 30, 2015
Moana:
just a few things but visa fee will also apply grin

Ehn, gimme summary ke. ..lol
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Moana(f): 12:15pm On Apr 30, 2015
sobastical:

Ehn, gimme summary ke. ..lol
I will give u his BB pin so u can discuss
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by sobastical: 9:17pm On Apr 30, 2015
Moana:
I will give u his BB pin so u can discuss

Mehn dis you babalawo don chop up gan..chai! sure him get consular as parley. lol
Re: How Long Must One Live In Usa, Uk And Canada,before One Can Become A Citizen? by Moana(f): 9:39pm On Apr 30, 2015
sobastical:

Mehn dis you babalawo don chop up gan..chai! sure him get consular as parley. lol
he is a modern babalawo na

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Which US State Is Least Racist And Low For Gun Crime. / 8 Of The Worst Countries For Black People To Travel. / Urgent Advice/info On Living In Northampton-uk Pls

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.