Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,194 members, 7,822,029 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive (1486 Views)

Angry Nigerians Blast Bayo Onanuga Over Insensitive Post / Photo: New Boko Haram Victims: Mass Grave Of Almost 100 Bodies Found In Nigeria / My Distasteful Experience With Nyesom Wike (PDP Rivers Guber Candidate)- Pics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by dulaman: 10:44pm On Apr 12, 2015
Where you at The AY Show which happened last week? Probably not. In the AY Show, there was a reenactment of INEC’s announcement of the Presidential election results and it was hilarious. It is admirable how AY who was playing Professor Jega took a back seat and let other comedians play the lead roles. It is probably because AY’s genius does not really lie in his funniness but his entrepreneurial creativity, but nonetheless, still admirable.
The reenactment had the highlights of the election announcements – Kano, Rivers and Orubebe’s outburst. Despite me laughing hysterically for the first 12 minutes of the clip, the Orubebe outburst froze the smile on my face as I watched MC Shakara portray Elder Peter Godsday Orubebe’s outburst of ‘partiality’ by the INEC. Here is what he said in the spirit of being funny,How can one make a crass joke about the killing of about 20,000 men, women and children? Do they think the lives lost in the North are a joke? As someone who has experienced the brutal murder of close ones by Boko Haram, I assure you it is nothing close to being a joke. I have lost friends and family in other ways but the worst till date is when people I love died, not from natural causes or an accident, but by a savage brutal killing that was totally unprovoked and unexpected.

And the logic in itself is way beyond mere ignorance and deep into stupidity zone. I veer off to correct it because that “…who has Boko Haram been killing…” argument is one that many bigots share, forgetting that there are no displaced people from Kano, Katsina or Kaduna. The only states in the North whose people suffered displacement are the North Eastern states of Borno, Adamawa & Yobe after Boko Haram took over whole local governments and the inhabitants had no choice but to flee.

As I watched the crowd laugh and clap, I wondered if they will be laughing if just 6 months ago, strangers attacked the village where their parents or grandparents lived and burnt it to the ground with their families in it. I wondered if AY would have let that part be in his show if his mother was killed by Boko Haram gunmen or if MC Shakara would have confidently said that if his sister had been a sex slave in Boko Haram camp for a year.
You don’t joke with some stuff and (we made that clear when Basketmouth made a joke in 2013 about rape) the mass murder of a people is one of them. With such a stage that AY has, instead of him to look for a good cause that he can subtly include in his fast growing enterprises of comedy shows and movie debut that was a blockbuster, what he chooses is to ridicule the murder of a people that has been going on for 6 years while the Government folded their hands and watched.

Can he make jokes about the killing and starvation of Igbos during the Civil War? Or can he make jokes about the multitude of lives lost in the Sosoliso Plane Crash of 2005? Can he ridicule the innocents killed when T.B Joshua’s Synagogue building collapsed?

To put it in perspective, imagine if a comedian says how come Garissa University has so much students? Then who has Al-Shabaab been killing?

I do not understand the blatant disregard for the lives in the North by our own countrymen. What people do not understand is that unlike the terrorism in other parts such as Kenya where a specific group (Christians) are targeted, the acts perpetrated by Boko Haram do not have criteria. They kill Muslims, Christians, Yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Bura, Kanuri alike. If the nation thinks that “Boko Haram will remain a Northern problem and meanwhile, let’s joke about it”, they will one day wake up to a new reality. Ask Abuja residents.

For now, AY owes the nation an unreserved apology and nothing less.

While his mates are creating awareness and donating for Boko Haram survivors, all he could think of was make jokes on their losses.

http://www.360nobs.com/2015/04/the-kings-speech-the-ay-shows-joke-on-boko-haram-victims-was-distasteful-vile-insensitive/

3 Likes

Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by Nobody: 10:47pm On Apr 12, 2015
Hmm I understand what ur saying.
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by midolian(m): 10:49pm On Apr 12, 2015
Even though I see a whole lotta sense in this, I feel Some things are better left unsaid/overlooked for the sake of peace.
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by Nobody: 10:51pm On Apr 12, 2015
Jokes are meant to make people laugh because it is funny,but when a joke make some people to be sad after hearing it then what that means is that it is no more a joke but it is now "professionally irritating".......
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by Nobody: 10:53pm On Apr 12, 2015
AY is not really funny but trying too hard to be. But change is here, and that change will meet him.
I hope he changes his ways.
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by VickyRotex(f): 10:55pm On Apr 12, 2015
You hardly see a comedian who is conscious of what he or she is saying on stage.

Majority of them make unnecessary and offensive jokes all in the name of pleasing the audience.

I understand you Op. Well, I hope he sees this and apologises. At least to soothe souls.
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by kokoA(m): 10:56pm On Apr 12, 2015
A lot of nairalanders are guilty of this to.. Bokoharam is not a topic to joke with at all..

1 Like

Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by dulaman: 10:31am On Apr 13, 2015
kokoA:
A lot of nairalanders are guilty of this to.. Bokoharam is not a topic to joke with at all..
exactly
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by danyegbule: 10:58am On Apr 13, 2015
dulaman:

exactly
@OP, don't make something out of nothing, I lived in Damaturu for about 14 years. My house was burnt down to its foundation and nothing was salvaged from it. But live continues. Jokes are jokes and I don't think he made that joke to offend anybody. I have friends who were killed during the peak of the Boko Haram stupidity, but their families have picked up their pieces and continue with life. To me there is nothing to offend anybody in that statement except you have a challenge that is bigger than jokes.

1 Like

Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by dulaman: 9:13pm On Apr 14, 2015
danyegbule:

@OP, don't make something out of nothing, I lived in Damaturu for about 14 years. My house was burnt down to its foundation and nothing was salvaged from it. But live continues. Jokes are jokes and I don't think he made that joke to offend anybody. I have friends who were killed during the peak of the Boko Haram stupidity, but their families have picked up their pieces and continue with life. To me there is nothing to offend anybody in that statement except you have a challenge that is bigger than jokes.
ain't the writer
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by Nobody: 9:44pm On Apr 14, 2015
what of apc that treasured on the killings of bokoharam in the NE to victory without for once condemimg
the activities of this inhumans.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by Sweetguy25: 9:49pm On Apr 14, 2015
I find the whole episode to be boring. It was too dry. If GEJ had won and violence commenced in the North, there would have been nothing to joke about.
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by danyegbule: 12:11pm On Apr 15, 2015
dulaman:

ain't the writer
Sorry I quoted you, not intentional.
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by pressplay55: 12:28pm On Apr 15, 2015
the joke was not funny at all
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by SLIDEwaxie(m): 12:48pm On Apr 15, 2015
Yes, the joke was not funny, but did u wrote on your blog and condemn hisbjokes on people's personalities? Do u think that has always been funny?

When they make jokes and act as imbeciles and handicapped, u av alwys laffed, were they funny to the less privileged?

When they make jokes abt a particular tribe, how funny was that to you?

A joke is a joke, u only took it personal and it is ur choice.

U av laffed for some minutes, but any what, who and what tribe?

Comedians in Nigeria are known for these, u av alwys enjoyed the show and now u suddenly felt it is not funny.

Well, it is funny. And RIP to the dead
Re: The AY Show Joke On Boko Haram Victims Was Distasteful & Insensitive by phelps007: 1:29pm On Apr 15, 2015
Some of our nigerian comedians should be professional about their jokes. You really don't have to be offensive, insensitive because you want to make people laugh and make your dough.
Same way some comedians made a big fool of themselves during presidential campaign by openly insulting some of the aspirants in the name of comedy.

(1) (Reply)

Early Results From Imo Supplementary Election / Buhari Arrested 4000 Politicians And Jailed Over 600:Why Surprise Over Probe? / Saraki And The Battle For 2019 By Dele Momodu

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.