Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,438 members, 7,819,609 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:01 PM

Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. - Literature (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. (5388 Views)

If You Were Asked To Write A Book About Your Life, What Would The Title Be? / MY Collection Of Short Stories..., Let's Rate And See How Good/bad I Am! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 10:27am On Apr 14, 2015
Justinakusu:
Good one sir.
Thanks
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by blaizze(f): 11:11am On Apr 14, 2015
This is a great opportunity to learn and I've learnt a lot already. I like writing stories but have never been able to go beyond the second chapter for reasons I can't explain.
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Nobody: 1:11pm On Apr 14, 2015
Sir Divepen1, Nairaland's mentions're just like the post office. They like coming late.

Nice initiative, sire. We must learn how to write, either devil hate or like.

Sir D9ty7, I use my chinkini eyes see U.
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 2:41pm On Apr 14, 2015
ThR0NeKiD:
Sir Divepen1, Nairaland's mentions're just like the post office. They like coming late.

Nice initiative, sire. We must learn how to write, either devil hate or like.

Sir D9ty7, I use my chinkini eyes see U.
Thanks baba
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 2:41pm On Apr 14, 2015
blaizze:
This is a great opportunity to learn and I've learnt a lot already. I like writing stories but have never been able to go beyond the second chapter for reasons I can't explain.
Thanks
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Nobody: 3:41pm On Apr 14, 2015
Divepen1:

Thanks baba
See this Grandpa o.
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 4:08pm On Apr 14, 2015
ThR0NeKiD:

See this Grandpa o.
Helpppppp.... Who is grandpa?
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Nobody: 4:25pm On Apr 14, 2015
Benjamin, ofcourse!
Divepen1:

Helpppppp.... Who is grandpa?
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 4:29pm On Apr 14, 2015
ThR0NeKiD:
Benjamin, ofcourse!
Change of name ooo
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 8:20pm On Apr 15, 2015
Character Guidelines, Cont. Make your character a type of person you would know a lot about. Creating a great character requires an incredible amount of detail. You have to know everything about this person in order to render their life successfully in words. This means you’ll be much better off if you create a character who is similar to you or similar to other people you know well. For example, I could write a great story about a character who lives in Seattle, WA, who is around 40 years old, and who has a job helping teachers and kids learn about reading and writing. But I’d have a hard time writing about an 85-year old circus performer who lives in Tokyo, Japan. (If I did want to write about a type of person I don’t know much about, I would have to do a lot of research before I got started.) So, I strongly recommend that you make your character a type of person you know a lot about. Make your character a person who does not exist in the real world. Why not just take a good friend and make a character out of him or her? This person is a human being who has never been the subject of a book, movie, or TV show. This is someone you are interested in and know a lot about. It seems like a friend would make a perfect character. Using people you know for characters in a fiction story is very tempting. But it’s not the safest thing to do because people often don’t like to have their identities used in that way. Even if you ask a friend’s permission and it is granted, this is still not a good idea. You should feel free to create a character who is similar to other people you know, or perhaps is a composite character formed by taking things from the lives of several different people, but don’t create a character who is a copy of a single real person you know. I strongly recommend that you make your character a person who does not exist in the real world. Make your character realistic. This can be a tough one. On the one hand, I’ve told you that your character shouldn’t be a real person, and now I’m telling you to make your character realistic. What’s that all about? Your character has to make sense to your audience. If you write about a five-year old boy who is seven feet tall and who plays professional basketball, that’s going to be a hard thing for people to swallow. Even though your character is made up, he or she still has to be believable. So, I strongly recommend that you make your character realistic. Make just one main character. Even though there are many stories that have more than one main character, your story will probably turn out better if you stick to the minimum. There’s a lot of work to do in developing a character and you’ll probably be better off putting all your energy into one rather than trying to do a good job with two or more. So, I strongly recommend that you make your character realistic

We will be stopping our discussion on character for now
https://stayedeyes./2015/04/15/character-3-2/
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by BreezyRita(f): 8:57pm On Apr 15, 2015
Following!
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Apr 15, 2015
still following,thanks
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Nobody: 10:23pm On Apr 15, 2015
still following,thanks... Really getting something
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Ali4king: 11:49pm On Apr 15, 2015
®
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 3:53am On Apr 16, 2015
BreezyRita:
Following!
Thanks... Welcome
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 3:54am On Apr 16, 2015
prettydiva89:
still following,thanks... Really getting something
I'm happy to hear that
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 3:54am On Apr 16, 2015
Ali4king:
®
Welcome baba
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by kizzykeziah: 11:57am On Apr 16, 2015
Did I arrive a little too late? I still have plenty to learn o.
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by jobsat34(m): 12:21pm On Apr 16, 2015
this is what i have been looking for all this while.. nice write up there..
following with keen attention..
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 7:54pm On Apr 16, 2015
kizzykeziah:
Did I arrive a little too late? I still have plenty to learn o.

Ah
.. mama
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 7:54pm On Apr 16, 2015
jobsat34:
this is what i have been looking for all this while.. nice write up there..
following with keen attention..
Welcome...
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by kizzykeziah: 8:17pm On Apr 16, 2015
Divepen1:

Ah
.. mama
Lol, I'm far from a mama o. Just started learning
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by kizzykeziah: 8:22pm On Apr 16, 2015
There's this essay competition going on online on Royal Commonwealth Society. It is centered on the young commonwealth and how they see the world around them. Here's the link and it has got a deadline and age limit too,18yrs maximum application age.
https://thercs.org/
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 9:45pm On Apr 16, 2015
kizzykeziah:
There's this essay competition going on online on Royal Commonwealth Society. It is centered on the young commonwealth and how they see the world around them. Here's the link and it has got a deadline and age limit too,18yrs maximum application age.
https://thercs.org/

Chai
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by kizzykeziah: 10:20pm On Apr 16, 2015
Divepen1:

Chai

Why the 'chai'?
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by stuff46(m): 10:07am On Apr 17, 2015
He is a granpa already na. He would have wanted to murder the essay cheesy
kizzykeziah:

Why the 'chai'?
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by kizzykeziah: 12:07pm On Apr 17, 2015
stuff46:
He is a granpa already na. He would have wanted to murder the essay cheesy
Hahaha, too bad cheesy
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 1:58pm On Apr 17, 2015
Fiction is all about what your character wants. I like to think about characters who are motivated by big dreams, especially if those dreams seem just a little bit impossible. I also like to think of things that catch characters by surprise, things they never knew they wanted but became fascinated with because of some unusual thing that happened to them. WHAT DOES JEREMY WANT? More than anything else, Jeremy wants to be the youngest world chess champion in history. He’s been thinking about this ever since his Uncle Edward came to visit his family after a trip to Russia. Uncle Edward brought Jeremy a beautiful chess set as a present. Jeremy was only 8 at the time, but he was fascinated by the beautiful wooden board and the ornately carved chess pieces. He begged his uncle to teach him how to play and he found that he loved the game almost instantly. His uncle brought him some Russian chess magazines and books, too. And even though Jeremy couldn’t read the language, he studied the chess games carefully, playing them out move by move on his board pretending that he was first one player and then the other. Jeremy has never told anyone about his dream. He doesn’t tell anyone because he’s afraid they’ll laugh at him and think he’s weird. He lives in a small town and nobody he knows there is famous, and hardly anyone plays chess. He’s very anxious about his dream. For one thing, he’s 11 now and that means he only has another 11 or 12 years left to break the record. He has followed the careers of other famous chess players and he knows he’s way behind their pace. That’s why he’s always down in his basement room studying chess on his computer. He practices all the time and keeps thinking that when he becomes famous, everyone in the town will be in awe of him

https://stayedeyes./2015/04/17/what-do-the-character-want/
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by blaizze(f): 11:15pm On Apr 19, 2015
Please don't abandon this thread. I've learnt a lot already and I know there more is to be learnt.
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by Divepen1(m): 5:58am On Apr 20, 2015
blaizze:
Please don't abandon this thread. I've learnt a lot already and I know there more is to be learnt.
I didn't stop...I had been busy
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by blaizze(f): 6:05pm On Apr 20, 2015
Divepen1:

I didn't stop...I had been busy
ok. Gud to know.
Re: Do You Want To Learn How To Write Stories? Let's Start Here. by treasuregr8(f): 11:57pm On Apr 20, 2015
following

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

All The Lies About Blogging Incomes / Broken Seal / Our Wedding Night...

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.