Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,602 members, 7,820,153 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:35 AM

Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) (1682 Views)

5 Things You Shouldn’t Do When Driving A Manual Car. / What Is Your Car's MPG Reading? / Opinion Poll: Can A Device Plugged Into A Cigarette Lighter Improve MPG? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by kakameks: 9:44am On Apr 14, 2015
Hi all,

I own a 2004 AWD lexus RX330. (Engine size/displacement: 3300ccl) No check engine lights on dash.

Now the spec. indicated a 18CITY/23HWY MPG

I did a manual check and discovered that am getting way below the stated MPG

100% city driving
premium fuel (Nigerian grade)
No check engine light
Mild traffic

RESULT 14mpg.

So i would encourage you guys to carryout a check to see the difference from stated values to actual real life figures.

Also state the weather condition, fuel grade, city/highway driving and if any check engine lights, if it is applicable to you.

REASON FOR THIS

Just to compare figures and for information purposes.
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by inze(m): 7:33pm On Apr 14, 2015
-- For information purpose --

A whole lot can contribute to poor MPG on a vehicle. For one, your vehicle is 11years old and if you expect it to perform exactly or more than specification, then i wonder. 14MPG as against 18MPG is fair enough i think, though i know you are not complaining either.

Other factors to reckon with should include but not limited to:

Fuel Grade
Tire fitted (Manufacturer Specified or customs)
Tire Pressure
Driving Habit
Engine fire/misfire
Air/Fuel ratio and Pressure
Engine temperature (Cooling intermittently or otherwise)
Catalyst Converters (Present/absent or blocked)

The list goes on and on but i believe you get the point now if not already, though i stand to be corrected on the aforementioned.
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by Nobody: 9:08pm On Apr 14, 2015
kakameks:
Hi all,

I own a 2004 AWD lexus RX330. (Engine size/displacement: 3300ccl) No check engine lights on dash.

Now the spec. indicated a 18CITY/23HWY MPG

I did a manual check and discovered that am getting way below the stated MPG

100% city driving
premium fuel (Nigerian grade)
No check engine light
Mild traffic

RESULT 14mpg.

So i would encourage you guys to carryout a check to see the difference from stated values to actual real life figures.

Also state the weather condition, fuel grade, city/highway driving and if any check engine lights, if it is applicable to you.

REASON FOR THIS

Just to compare figures and for information purposes.
Reporting for class.
A lot comes to play when MPG is factored.
Some are already listed by inze.
Some others include,
* Wrong oil grade/spec.
* Tyre types, thread pattern, sizes, and tyre cold air pressure.
* Imposed mass (extra loads on car).
* State of air filter
* O[size=5pt]2[/size] sensors, sparkplugs, cooling systems and catalytic converters state
* Temperature and pressure of air in the surrounding. Etc
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by 9icetoo(m): 11:13pm On Apr 14, 2015
Skoda octavia 1.9 litre turbo diesel.
5 speed manual trans.
Manufacturers city/highway mpg : 37/56.
My on board display says 38.99 mpg. My obd2 plug in says 36 mpg.
My manual calculation says 32 mpg city with mild traffic.
No ac was used though.
No check engine light.
Though alignment is a bit off
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by kakameks: 8:59am On Apr 15, 2015
Thanks guys for the inputs, your all right in your assessment on those factors affecting MPG. However lets not get into all the nitty-gritty details but stick to the basic detail.

i crave the indulgence of the car enthusiast on this tread, lets just assume the " ALL THINGS BEING EQUAL" slogan and roll with the flow.

9icetoo:
Skoda octavia 1.9 litre turbo diesel.
5 speed manual trans.
Manufacturers city/highway mpg : 37/56.
My on board display says 38.99 mpg. My obd2 plug in says 36 mpg.
My manual calculation says 32 mpg city with mild traffic.
No ac was used though.
No check engine light.
Though alignment is a bit off

I have always known that diesel engines gives good MPG but that is impressive even for a 1.9 litre engine, so your on-board reading is off by 6.99mpg and 4mpg for the obd2.

More poster are invited, i feel some of you will be shocked to discover your true MPG reading.
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by leuelliot(m): 7:04pm On Apr 15, 2015
Volvo Xc90 3.2 i6
rated MPG 14/23

Before a tune up done recently which included air filter, ATF fluid change, Iridium Spark plugs and fully synthetic castrol edge 0w 40. I never observed more than 12MPG

onboard trip MPG City 14.1: if i drive like a slow poke
onboard trip MPG City 13.4 if i drive how i drive!

Manual calculations 15.8MPG City 22.8 Highway
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by 9icetoo(m): 7:53am On Apr 16, 2015
leuelliot:
Volvo Xc90 3.2 i6
rated MPG 14/23

Before a tune up done recently which included air filter, ATF fluid change, Iridium Spark plugs and fully synthetic castrol edge 0w 40. I never observed more than 12MPG

onboard trip MPG City 14.1: if i drive like a slow poke
onboard trip MPG City 13.4 if i drive how i drive!

Manual calculations 15.8MPG City 22.8 Highway

That's wonderful. Your car is in top shape and the manufacturers didn't lie about their mpg claims unlike most other cars out there.
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 16, 2015
9icetoo:

That's wonderful. Your car is in top shape and the manufacturers didn't lie about their mpg claims unlike most other cars out there.
hello sire, ur urgent attention is needed, please.... if possible will wanna meet with you.
https://www.nairaland.com/2253056/please-urgent-needed-catalyst-sensor
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by Experience4u(m): 1:25pm On Apr 20, 2015
lomomike:

Reporting for class.
A lot comes to play when MPG is factored.
Some are already listed by inze.
Some others include,
* Wrong oil grade/spec.
* Tyre types, thread pattern, sizes, and tyre cold air pressure.
* Imposed mass (extra loads on car).
* State of air filter
* O[size=5pt]2[/size] sensors, sparkplugs, cooling systems and catalytic converters state
* Temperature and pressure of air in the surrounding. Etc

I recently scanned my Rav4 2004 toyota which has Check engine Light and it read P0037 oxygen sensor bank 02 , please how much will it cost to fix and what are the dangers of having it. my car has been gulping a lot of fuel. Thanks.
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by Nobody: 1:29pm On Apr 20, 2015
Experience4u:

I recently scanned my Rav4 2004 toyota which has Check engine Light and it read P0037 oxygen sensor bank 02 , please how much will it cost to fix and what are the dangers of having it. my car has been gulping a lot of fuel. Thanks.
please go to that link I posted above, you will benefit from it......
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by Nobody: 12:59am On Apr 21, 2015
I track each and every fill up in my vehicles using an iPhone app.

So far I've been bettering the tuning VW engineers but only when I drive like a gentleman. When I drive irresponsibly then all bets goes out the sunroof but it; so so fun though grin

I'm getting ready to do a major tune up on the old girl. Either that or it's time for a Mini Cooper S.
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by kakameks: 7:46am On Apr 27, 2015
On a recent trip these where my results, for my 2004 lexus Rx 330, 4wd V6.

75% CITY AND 25% HIGHWAY - 13.3 mpg (mixture of mild driving and fast driving)

100% HIGHWAY - 18.8 mpg ( i was heavy footed through out the trip)

am a bit disappointed with the kind of MPG am getting compared to the advertised range of 18 city/23Hwy.
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by Nobody: 10:30am On Apr 27, 2015
kakameks:

am a bit disappointed with the kind of MPG am getting compared to the advertised range of 18 city/23Hwy.

What's your PSI all round?
What's the state of your air filter?
What's the state of your sparkplugs?
Your engine oil spec?
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by 9icetoo(m): 12:39pm On Apr 27, 2015
kakameks:

You can't drive the car like you stole it and expect reasonable mpg. I joined a convoy last week wit my skoda and after flooring the car all through the journey, my mpg took a nosedive. After driving sensibly over the weekend, it's back up again.
Re: Real Life MPG Check (manual Check) by kakameks: 1:46pm On Apr 27, 2015
lomomike:

What's your PSI all round?
What's the state of your air filter?
What's the state of your sparkplugs?
Your engine oil spec?

My Tyre are thirtyish (average of 30 psi)
My air filter are ok (check/clean them myself)
as for my plug and engine oil, have already scheduled doing a total service by mid May. (Engine oil, spark plugs, transmission oil, air filter, engine oil filter)

All are gonna be OEM recommended products. Will post result of my MPG to see if it helps.

9icetoo:

You can't drive the car like you stole it and expect reasonable mpg. I joined a convoy last week wit my skoda and after flooring the car all through the journey, my mpg took a nosedive. After driving sensibly over the weekend, it's back up again.

Guy your right on that, i was driving sensibly at first (crusing at 100km/h with estimated average of around 20/21 mpg) but later increased my when it was getting late and darkness was setting (not to mention getting bored) . However even at that an MPG drop of 5 mpg is a bit steep to me.

(1) (Reply)

2019 Mercedes A220 Sedan / Mazda5 2006 Stalls When Slowing Down / Multinational Car Companies Eye Opportunities In Ghana

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.