Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,828 members, 7,810,180 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:39 PM

Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. (25872 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by toprealman: 10:01pm On Apr 15, 2015
Try do a little research about your potential partner's traditional rite and system. It will save you from unnecessary stress.

1 Like

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by DECOtech(m): 10:21pm On Apr 15, 2015
Na wah oh!

Emenike must be so broke and hungry.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 10:24pm On Apr 15, 2015
suggyspic:
Emenike got married to Juliet in 2008, after five years of marriage, they broke up in 2013. Emenike tried every thing possible to make her(Juliet) stay but her mind was made up. She left the marriage in spite of her father asking her to be patient and stay. Juliet's father told her that she knows the culture that once you are married and the bride price has been paid, she cannot bring any other man to remarry her.

Two years after the breakup Emenike wants the father to refund him the bride price, but the father refuse telling him that he is still his son-in-law till death.

Is this true that in Delta state that bride price cannot be returned?

What other method can Emenike use to collect his bride price, considering the fact that his kindred have made efforts towards the issue.

Can the customary court compel the father to give back the bride price?

N/b. They WEre only married in the traditional way.

Where in the world is bride price ever returned in full
Wasn't the marriage consummated
Can he take that back?
They should give him 100 naira and send him away jor
In my village when the marriage is over or the man dies and the woman wants to remarry a portion is returned
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by swedbase(m): 10:43pm On Apr 15, 2015
folabayo1:
The man must be a sharp igbo man

Shut up if you have nothing sensible to contribute you ugly thing. It is not about the money involved but about tradition. Ishi azu dika gi
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 10:48pm On Apr 15, 2015
Emenike definitely needs change.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by MsBella: 11:08pm On Apr 15, 2015
Where is the receipt?
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by engrkaz(m): 11:53pm On Apr 15, 2015
Hmmm....This bride price issue seem very serious in certain parts of Delta state... I had a very terrible and at the same time funny first hand experience.

Sometime in 2010, I went with a friend to Ubu-luku in Delta state for his maternal grandma's burial. After the church service, the old woman was being prepared for interment, then we got words from the Palace that the burial ceremony must the stopped and the mama's corpse returned to the morgue. I was so perplexed when I overhead invited guests secretly discussing the reason for the cancellation of the burial. Here is what they were discussing....

MAMA HAD A MARRIAGE WITH A MAN, WHICH LATER FAILED, AFTER THE FIRST MARRIAGE, MAMA MOVED ON AND RE-MARRIED ANOTHER MAN (MY FRIEND'S GRANDPA) GRANDPA DID NOT RETURN THE BRIDE PRICE TO THE FORMER HUSBAND, THE GRANDPA, THE FORMER HUSBAND AND THE MAMA IN QUESTION WERE ALL DEAD, BUT RELATIVES OF THE FORMER HUSBAND DEMANDED THE CORPSE BE SENT TO THEM, AND CERTAIN MATERIALS (LIKE GOAT, CASH, ETC) BE PAID TOO AS A FINE... WE WERE IN THE TOWN FOR 4 DAYS, MAMA WAS NOT BURIED TILL WE LEFT...

That got me wondering....what is it with this bride price?
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by bababuff(m): 12:32am On Apr 16, 2015
After 5 years?
Nah wa ooo. Yeye custom.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 1:21am On Apr 16, 2015
I cry for women cry

Sold like a car and owned like a slave angry

Primitive undecided
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Ewuro4: 2:28am On Apr 16, 2015
pickabeau1:

for those who don't want to see and are harassing uncle for wanting his money back
Uncle wan marry another oreke grin
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by folabayo1(f): 6:06am On Apr 16, 2015
swedbase:

Shut up if you have nothing sensible to contribute you ugly thing. It is not about the money involved but about tradition. Ishi azu dika gi
am sure u are one of those illiterate buys brought frm village to lag recently cos its so obvious in ur mentions!!!
If am an ugly thing like u said then ur mother and ur sisters must really look like an ape
Ode oponu
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by babygirlfl: 6:13am On Apr 16, 2015
This is one reason bride price should be abolished
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by pickabeau1: 6:14am On Apr 16, 2015
Ewuro4:

Uncle wan marry another oreke grin

He is trying to follow tradition

For me he has been given the go ahead
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by adexway(m): 6:20am On Apr 16, 2015
boolet:
How much is the bride price? Maybe you should go to court.
Best advice. Can't recall any instance or tradition where bride price is ever refunded. When the lady left after five years did she leave as young and "intact" as she came into his life? And why was she bent on leaving, was Emenike another womanizer, has she suddenly realize that he can't father a child, was she gradually becoming a bread winner while Emenike laze around? There is more to the story than said. However, it's advisable that Emenike leaves the 20k and move on.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by tolustx(m): 6:27am On Apr 16, 2015
Khalessi:
The sex you had with her nko? When will you return it?
I wonder always why people treat d subject of sex like d man is enjoying himself @ d expense of d woman. For God's sake, it is both man and woman involved that enjoy the action together. It is prostitution that has given people d impression that men ve to pay a price for sex. It is a wrong notion. So concerning what u said, he doesn't ve to pay anything for d sex he had with her since d woman wasn't a prostitute.
As touching the bride price, according to d op, it is dr practice in dat tribe that d father-in-law return d bride price in such events. Therefore, it is not wrong for d man to request for d money. It is his traditional right to have it back. That doesn't say he shouldn't just ignore d money o. I guess d guy is just trying to show how offended or dissappointed he is in d breakup.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by holatin(m): 6:32am On Apr 16, 2015
Ogum:
hehehehehehehehe tufiakwa!!!!!!! ikwule ari.......
itumo
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by garyaustin(m): 7:05am On Apr 16, 2015
The bride price is the consideration that makes traditional marriage valid and binding contract. It is generally known that bride price is the only returnable item in traditional marriage and most towns accept as little as 30 naira as dowry. The effect of bride price not returned is far reaching; 1 it means that the woman in question is still Emenike's wife. Any child she bears for another man is automatically that of Emenike although supreme court had ruled against it. 2 if the woman dies in this state, Emenike will bear the full responsibility since she is still the wife. 3 Emenike will not be able to marry another woman under statutory law because he has a subsisting marriage and may be guilty of bigamy and risk 7 years imprisonment. 4 if Emenike dies now, she can inherit properties as a valid wife of Emenike. There are so many reasons why Emenike must collect the bride price and he is adviced to do so as soon as possible once he is sure the marriage has failed. Collection of bride price back is a statutory requirement to end traditional marriage.

1 Like

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 7:57am On Apr 16, 2015
X husband what did u want to do with pride price? Abi u no dey Bleep d woman wen she de with u? Pay her 4 dos services den she will pay ur so called pride price. No make me vex 4 u Ooooo
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by swedbase(m): 9:01am On Apr 16, 2015
folabayo1:
am sure u are one of those illiterate buys brought frm village to lag recently cos its so obvious in ur mentions!!!
If am an ugly thing like u said then ur mother and ur sisters must really look like an ape
Ode oponu

Hahaha illiteracy is when you think every Igbo person lives in your dirty slum village called lagos. You can only dream of where i currently lives. anu gboko
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by prophetfire: 9:24am On Apr 16, 2015
worry357:

He had use of her as a wife for five years.
There is no way that the bride price should be re-payed.
He is showing what a mean cheapscate he really is. This is probably why the marriage failed, because he is so mean.
He must forget the money and move on with his life.
He is lucky that the girls father does not charge him for keeping and feeding the girl as in tribal law they are still wed!
If he bought a car and returned it after five years, would he expect his money back?
mr. Man,u sound childish n lacks understanding of customary marriage issues.the girl's father is caging his daughter.if that money is nt retuened,his daughter cant marry any other man in her life but emenike can marry another.she remains tied to the emenike of a guy.if she does n gets issues for another man,emenike can use the customary court to claim the kids n sue them for adultery.her father maybe the stingy type and may hav collected heavily from the guy n finding it hard to pay back. The girl should hustle n get money n make sure the price is returned. All those ur reasoning of buiyin car n returning n using her holds no water in customary marriage law.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by prophetfire: 9:29am On Apr 16, 2015
ozoigbondu:
The guy should suck it up and live with it bride price is non-refundable.Look before you Reap angry

Caveat Emptor
grin
ur comment makes me wonder if u shud be using that name. The name sounds like one well tutored in native laws but u re not. Bride price is refundable accordint to native laws.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by prophetfire: 9:33am On Apr 16, 2015
garyaustin:
The bride price is the consideration that makes traditional marriage valid and binding contract. It is generally known that bride price is the only returnable item in traditional marriage and most towns accept as little as 30 naira as dowry. The effect of bride price not returned is far reaching; 1 it means that the woman in question is still Emenike's wife. Any child she bears for another man is automatically that of Emenike although supreme court had ruled against it. 2 if the woman dies in this state, Emenike will bear the full responsibility since she is still the wife. 3 Emenike will not be able to marry another woman under statutory law because he has a subsisting marriage and may be guilty of bigamy and risk 7 years imprisonment. 4 if Emenike dies now, she can inherit properties as a valid wife of Emenike. There are so many reasons why Emenike must collect the bride price and he is adviced to do so as soon as possible once he is sure the marriage has failed. Collection of bride price back is a statutory requirement to end traditional marriage.
your point no 3 is wrong. Emenike can marry another bcs they married only traditionaly.no court marriage was done.

1 Like

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by prophetfire: 9:40am On Apr 16, 2015
adexway:

Best advice. Can't recall any instance or tradition where bride price is ever refunded. When the lady left after five years did she leave as young and "intact" as she came into his life? And why was she bent on leaving, was Emenike another womanizer, has she suddenly realize that he can't father a child, was she gradually becoming a bread winner while Emenike laze around? There is more to the story than said. However, it's advisable that Emenike leaves the 20k and move on.
its nt the best advice. For that girl to b realy free from that marriage,the bride price has to be returned.that is the native law.if the bride price is nt returned,they only separted n not divorced.since they married only in traditional way,she cnt remary bt he can take a scond wife.thats the hook that has to be broken.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by dom(m): 10:04am On Apr 16, 2015
There are two ways of ending a customary marriage.
1)Non judicial approach
2) judicial approach.
The non-judicial approach is very simple. Go with a few kinsmen and formally ask for refund of the brideprice. (The brideprice is very, very symbolic in customary marriages.)
The judicial approach involves filing a matter at the customary court seeking for a dissolution of the said marriage and stating the grounds upon which you seek the dissolution. The court in granting the divorce may, inter-alia, assess the amount of bride price to be refunded - if any - and make an order to that effect, (that is if its one of the prayers in your petition) in which case it becomes a judgement debt which the court will enforce. You can also decide to waive the brideprice refund.vide IKEDIONWU v. OKAFOR (1966-1967) 10 ENLR; OKPANUM v.OKPANUM (1972) 2 ECSNL, 561.
However, with or without the refund, with or without dissolution, nothing prevents you from going ahead to remarry. This is because you celebrated a customary marriage which does not estop a man from marrying as many wives as he wants, as long as he doesnt celebrate a statutory marriage with any. (i hope this helps you a little. i'm off to court. Good luck)

1 Like

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Hitunnu(f): 11:57am On Apr 16, 2015
charlsecy:

Ignorant posts.

So European culture is GOD-ordained, while yours is demonic?
Always use brain wella which of culture is God ordained. Am a believer bt dnt bliv creature bt creator. Culture was invented. Is it in any scripture? Make U loud am.

1 Like

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by charlsecy(m): 12:55pm On Apr 16, 2015
@Hitunnu
Did you underdtand my post? Did you see the question mark?
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by LKO(m): 1:11pm On Apr 16, 2015
I think among d Urhobo pple of Delta Srate, pride prize can be returned if both parties are no longer interested in d marriage. In most cases, it is d woman in question dat spear head this move, as it is traditionally believe, dat it is wrong for a woman to re marry unless d pride prize paid by d previous man is returned. The pride prize in Urhobo land is usually less than two hundred naira.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by t2luv1: 1:19pm On Apr 16, 2015
suggyspic:
Emenike got married to Juliet in 2008, after five years of marriage, they broke up in 2013. Emenike tried every thing possible to make her(Juliet) stay but her mind was made up. She left the marriage in spite of her father asking her to be patient and stay. Juliet's father told her that she knows the culture that once you are married and the bride price has been paid, she cannot bring any other man to remarry her.

Two years after the breakup Emenike wants the father to refund him the bride price, but the father refuse telling him that he is still his son-in-law till death.

Is this true that in Delta state that bride price cannot be returned?

What other method can Emenike use to collect his bride price, considering the fact that his kindred have made efforts towards the issue.

Can the customary court compel the father to give back the bride price?

N/b. They WEre only married in the traditional way.

With depreciation, I think his residual value should be zero. The father in law gave him a brand new car, now he wants to sell the father back a used car for the same price.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Pepunis(f): 1:20pm On Apr 16, 2015
After sleeping wit her for 5 years, her pointed breast saggs, and many thing are not the same they were, he cud not concentrate on moving on, he shamelessly want few kobo to be return to him, what a selfish idiat, the father in law is too gud, for me he deserve to be chase with, hot water, sharp knife, but not to harmed, yeye boy
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 1:28pm On Apr 16, 2015
Badgers14:
Every culture is different. On my side of the fence, the lady will never remarry (traditionally) unless the first bride price was returned. i.e, it is a taboo to collect bride price from 2 different families for one person. but on the guys side, I dont think it have any repercurssion, I have to consult on that.

Just like some cultures, if a lady cheats on her man, something will happen to her but if the man does cheat, nothing will happen to him ( i am not saying its fair but that what tradition dictates.)

this is the very reason Emenike want his bride price. The wife have been disturbing him to ask her father for the bride price. Maybe she has meet another man and her father refuse to listen to the new husband.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by suggyspic: 1:32pm On Apr 16, 2015
LewisO:
Won't it be a disgrace to ask your father in-law to refund the bride's price?

Why can't u just forget it and move on?

Emenike have move on, but the woman want him to collect the bride price. her father is a no strict man and would not be part of those that would take bride price twice.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Having A Sixth Finger / Hausa Indigenous Aristocracy And Titles And Functions / "I Am Not A Yahoo Yahoo Oba" - Oluwo Of Iwo Refuses To Appear Before Court

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.