Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,634 members, 7,809,386 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:35 AM

Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. (25870 Views)

What Is The Bride Price In Your Own Hometown? / When The Bride Price Is Too High For Him To Pay / Ex- Military Governor Of Anambra, Pleads With Igbo Parents To Reduce Bride price (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by jamesbridget13(f): 7:00pm On Apr 15, 2015
all those pple saying Emenike shld not ask for bride price return cant be so sure. where i come from, if u decided to terminate ur marriage for any reason, u must return d bride price to ur husband as a lady bfor culture ll permit u to marry another. so culture difers.
if d young woman no longer wants d marriage. i join hands with Emenike to demand d bride price since they no want use their head return em. pls Emenike, visit d customary court.
NB: if ur(emenike) culture permits u remarrying without d refund. just go ahead n leave dem n their wahala. for peace sake. u knw we re in d season of conceding grin dats if u knw wat i mean. goodluck
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Brugo(m): 7:00pm On Apr 15, 2015
angry

People don't understand that it's not about the money. How much is 20k? The father in law doesn't want the breakup. He is only refusing so as to buy time for peaceful resolution.

Returning the bride price is the way to divorce her traditionally. He did traditional marriage na.

5 Likes

Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:00pm On Apr 15, 2015
worry357:

He had use of her as a wife for five years.
There is no way that the bride price should be re-payed.
He is showing what a mean cheapscate he really is. This is probably why the marriage failed, because he is so mean.
He must forget the money and move on with his life.
He is lucky that the girls father does not charge him for keeping and feeding the girl as in tribal law they are still wed!
If he bought a car and returned it after five years, would he expect his money back?

In Igbo tradition, once a couple divorces, it is followed by the return of the dowry paid on the girl's head by her family to signify the end of the marriage. Without the return of the dowry, the girl is deemed to still be married to the man and cannot remarry.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by georgementday(m): 7:03pm On Apr 15, 2015
Bride can b return,Emenike shuld go to nearest customary court to sue for divioce and d family of d bride must then return d bride price him
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by toniacan(f): 7:09pm On Apr 15, 2015
It is not about the money involved, but about tradition. In most cultures especially in the East if the Bride price is not returned that means they are still legally married. If the Man goes ahead to get another woman He should just realise that He got himself a second wife.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by severee(m): 7:14pm On Apr 15, 2015
suggyspic:
Emenike got married to Juliet in 2008, after five years of marriage, they broke up in 2013. Emenike tried every thing possible to make her(Juliet) stay but her mind was made up. She left the marriage in spite of her father asking her to be patient and stay. Juliet's father told her that she knows the culture that once you are married and the bride price has been paid, she cannot bring any other man to remarry her.

Two years after the breakup Emenike wants the father to refund him the bride price, but the father refuse telling him that he is still his son-in-law till death.

Is this true that in Delta state that bride price cannot be returned?

What other method can Emenike use to collect his bride price, considering the fact that his kindred have made efforts towards the issue.

Can the customary court compel the father to give back the bride price?

N/b. They WEre only married in the traditional way.

grin make the guy carry the girl papa go court na

Alaroro still dey pursue 5 year old bride price
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Ewuro4: 7:16pm On Apr 15, 2015
I don't think it really about the money but the traditional implication attached to it.

When you're seperated, the onus is on the brides family to refund the bride price. to free both candidates.

I could be wrong tho.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by manny4life(m): 7:22pm On Apr 15, 2015
Sunnybobo3:

In Igbo tradition, once a couple divorces, it is followed by the return of the dowry paid on the girl's head by her family to signify the end of the marriage. Without the return of the dowry, the girl is deemed to still be married to the man and cannot remarry.

But isn't there an exemption when the man doesn't want to accept it?
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 7:26pm On Apr 15, 2015
worry357:

He is showing what a mean cheapscate he really is. This is probably why the marriage failed, because he is so mean.
He is lucky that the girls father does not charge him for keeping and feeding the girl as in tribal law they are still wed!
If he bought a car and returned it after five years, would he expect his money back?
the refund of bride price is traditional divorce. Without it there's no divorce.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Sunnybobo3(m): 7:27pm On Apr 15, 2015
manny4life:

But isn't there an exemption when the man doesn't want to accept it?

I do not know if there is any.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by pickabeau1: 7:27pm On Apr 15, 2015
Ewuro4:
[size=18pt]I don't think it really about the money but the traditional implication attached to it.[/size]

When you're seperated, the onus is on the brides family to refund the bride price. to free both candidates.

I could be wrong tho.

for those who don't want to see and are harassing uncle for wanting his money back
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Hitunnu(f): 7:33pm On Apr 15, 2015
Laughing! Culture don overshadow God ooo eewooo. Which of the holy Book supported ds kind thing. O boy u too don enjoyed now! Some culture be like tongue
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by sparkleRed(f): 7:38pm On Apr 15, 2015
The husband should return d German juice he had lash, tasted wareva 4 d 5 yrs na, den he will get his bride price money grin
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 7:43pm On Apr 15, 2015
suggyspic:
Emenike got married to Juliet in 2008, after five years of marriage, they broke up in 2013. Emenike tried every thing possible to make her(Juliet) stay but her mind was made up. She left the marriage in spite of her father asking her to be patient and stay. Juliet's father told her that she knows the culture that once you are married and the bride price has been paid, she cannot bring any other man to remarry her.

Two years after the breakup Emenike wants the father to refund him the bride price, but the father refuse telling him that he is still his son-in-law till death.

Is this true that in Delta state that bride price cannot be returned?

What other method can Emenike use to collect his bride price, considering the fact that his kindred have made efforts towards the issue.

Can the customary court compel the father to give back the bride price?

N/b. They WEre only married in the traditional way.

Emenike is a very baaddd Igbo boy

Emenike see her as commodity

Emenike want to use the return bride price start a new business

Emenike what to use the return bride price to marry again

Emenike is probably vexing for the hugeeee bride price he pay on top her head

Emenike think she is bad market

Ohhh Emenike sorryangry

Watch out for more mumu answer to Emenike story
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Ogum(m): 7:44pm On Apr 15, 2015
holatin:
forget the bride price, snap the woman, upload on olx.com and

SELL HER !!!!!
hehehehehehehehe tufiakwa!!!!!!! ikwule ari.......
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by phenol33(m): 7:49pm On Apr 15, 2015
worry357:

the guy should leave his ex father-inlaw cos if the money is not been refounded his is enprison his daugther.. and the man has the right to marry another wife... but the woman can not get married to any man.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by 989900: 7:57pm On Apr 15, 2015
Broke a$$ neegar thangs.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by andyanders: 8:18pm On Apr 15, 2015
hahn:
He should forget about the money and move on. The father in law has invested the money on starch and banga soup. And some sapele water

Dont know why the guy should be after bride price and how much of that that can change his situation.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by oyejideogunjumo: 8:22pm On Apr 15, 2015
PLS FORGET THE MONEY.IT MUST HAVE LOST VALUE.U ARE MORE THANT THAT NOW. MORE SO HER FATHER DIDNT SUPPORT HER ACTION.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by andyanders: 8:29pm On Apr 15, 2015
If the guy is after the bride price, then he must be a very poor person to be after the bride price paid.How much of that money can change his life. Poverty.Maybe he is hoping to get money from them to now buy another lady.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 9:10pm On Apr 15, 2015
OP, so for a mere N20,000 you want to disturb that old man's life ?

The money he has spent years ago.

It is obvious that you have not gotten over your wife leaving you. It does't seem that she is ever getting back but even if there was a chance, harassing her father is unlikely to convince her to return.

Move on with your life. Life is short.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by charlsecy(m): 9:16pm On Apr 15, 2015
andyanders:
If the guy is after the bride price, then he must be a very poor person to be after the bride price paid.How much of that money can change his life.

GenBuhari:
OP, so for a mere N20,000 you want to disturb that old man's life ?

Ignorant posts.

Hitunnu:
Culture don overshadow God ooo eewooo. Which of the holy Book supported ds kind thing. O boy u too don enjoyed now! Some culture be like tongue

So European culture is GOD-ordained, while yours is demonic?
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 9:18pm On Apr 15, 2015
Bsc:
Pls If u collect am eh u let me knw?
Funny grin
Is that a question sad cheesy
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 9:19pm On Apr 15, 2015
so what?
It makes no real difference in reality if they he for goes the bride price.

Does not stop him getting married to someone else.
jamesbridget13:
all those pple saying Emenike shld not ask for bride price return cant be so sure. where i come from, if u decided to terminate ur marriage for any reason, u must return d bride price to ur husband as a lady bfor culture ll permit u to marry another. so culture difers.
if d young woman no longer wants d marriage. i join hands with Emenike to demand d bride price since they no want use their head return em. pls Emenike, visit d customary court.
NB: if ur(emenike) culture permits u remarrying without d refund. just go ahead n leave dem n their wahala. for peace sake. u knw we re in d season of conceding grin dats if u knw wat i mean. goodluck
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 9:21pm On Apr 15, 2015
If I was Emenike, I would just forget about the bride price and move on. In most cases, you are NOT forced to pay the bride price.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Hembelembe: 9:26pm On Apr 15, 2015
Go to d customary court, at d end of everything you'll get nothing less than #60.00 grin cheap thing, asking for refund of dowry.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by refreshrate: 9:26pm On Apr 15, 2015
Emenike should chill, give the old man some time. In fact form padi with am. Then see how he can ask the man to lend him some money a little above the value of the bride price so him no go suspect. One week later return the difference to the man with a note saying "oga i don collect my money o, na the difference on top be dis. Wishing you and your daughter a nice day!" Abi how you see am?
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by tpiadotcom: 9:27pm On Apr 15, 2015
He should just pay another brideprice for his new wife nah, is he trying to use the refund to do that?
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by refreshrate: 9:32pm On Apr 15, 2015
Hembelembe:
Go to d customary court, at d end of everything you'll get nothing less than #60.00 grin cheap thing, asking for refund of dowry.

Try and understand that its not the value of the money but what the money stands for.
As it is the young man still remains married the girl as long as the money is still with the father.This means he cannot get married to someone else.
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Moana(f): 9:33pm On Apr 15, 2015
hahn:
He should forget about the money and move on. The father in law has invested the money on starch and banga soup. And some sapele water
grin grin i wish he would give me banga soup too embarassed
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by Nobody: 9:36pm On Apr 15, 2015
Emenike come let me give you the money i beg,but i will carry the girl ok, just leave the papa alone now
Re: Her Father Refuse To Return His Bride Price. by MrPresident1: 10:00pm On Apr 15, 2015
Emenike ko, Ebubedike ni.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Having A Sixth Finger / "I Am Not A Yahoo Yahoo Oba" - Oluwo Of Iwo Refuses To Appear Before Court / What Is The Origin Of The "Yellow Skin" In Most Igbos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.